AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-05-03, 09:45   Link #681
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Oh, I agree. The shorter bursts does have its impacts and the visuals may be more concentrated because it's a movie, and so forth (though it wasn't ENTIRELY new in visuals. Though it definitely could've needed some cleaning up especially for some of the rougher, older character visuals. No harm in touching up old footage that literally peeled away, IMO).

Also, I'm guessing a series overhaul would really be too epic for Anno to get too deep into, compared to concentrating on a few slight differences for the earlier movies and the final movie. I really do think there's a lack of willingness to make it as big as it definitely could be on top of the creative decision. I don't think I'm trying to blame anyone for it other than that there's other paths the project could have taken. Like how in early speculation, people actually thought we'd be getting a new series or a series overhaul.

And can't agree more with the psychology, as much as I detest Shinji at times (the lowest of Shinji is almost unforgivably low for me, even if it made 'sense') and the way it's brutally fleshed out was (and still is) pretty refreshing, even if it's sometimes still hard to bear to watch.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 17:09   Link #682
rainrix

Did Anno explain the signification carried by each Angel? I'm pretty sure they are symbols but what kind? And Tabris, why is it this strange boy?
rainrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 17:25   Link #683
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Oh, I agree. The shorter bursts does have its impacts and the visuals may be more concentrated because it's a movie, and so forth (though it wasn't ENTIRELY new in visuals. Though it definitely could've needed some cleaning up especially for some of the rougher, older character visuals. No harm in touching up old footage that literally peeled away, IMO).

Also, I'm guessing a series overhaul would really be too epic for Anno to get too deep into, compared to concentrating on a few slight differences for the earlier movies and the final movie. I really do think there's a lack of willingness to make it as big as it definitely could be on top of the creative decision. I don't think I'm trying to blame anyone for it other than that there's other paths the project could have taken. Like how in early speculation, people actually thought we'd be getting a new series or a series overhaul.
While I do miss the more subtle, laid back character interactions such as Ritsuko going over to Misato's place to have dinner, and them having fun somewhat at Shinji's expense . Or the scene at the end of ep 4 where Misato is pleasantly surprised to see Shinji still standing at the station where he whispers, "Im home" and Misato responding, "Welcome home".

However I am excited to see how the new movies format will bring about a lot of new scenes which are generally more concise and impacting, rather than the vagueness Evangelion is know for (whether you consider that a good thing or bad thing). One example is the conversation between Misato about Shinji in Terminal Dogma, where she ensures Shinji that she would be with him all the way, and Shinji signals his agreement by gripping her hand aswell.

Its something so simple but for Evangelion Its a big step. I think the original series really needed more physical reassurance with the characters.
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 18:10   Link #684
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrix View Post
Did Anno explain the signification carried by each Angel? I'm pretty sure they are symbols but what kind? And Tabris, why is it this strange boy?
Spoiler for Tabris:
JMvS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 18:40   Link #685
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrix View Post
I really dont think each Angel had a particular meaning behind them. They were more plot devices for character development and a source for some nice action scenes. Not to mention plenty of wtf moments having to do with the origins of the Evangelions, and traumatic events for the pilots.

Spoiler for Kaworu:
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 13:32   Link #686
cereal_killerxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Dreamer View Post
I really dont think each Angel had a particular meaning behind them. They were more plot devices for character development and a source for some nice action scenes. Not to mention plenty of wtf moments having to do with the origins of the Evangelions, and traumatic events for the pilots.

Spoiler for Kaworu:
Spoiler for Kaworu and Toji:
cereal_killerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 13:58   Link #687
ZODDGUTS

Spoiler for About Toji:
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 15:21   Link #688
ichobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Spoiler for About Toji:
Spoiler:
ichobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 15:30   Link #689
leongsh
Daijoubu!

About Toji:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichobi View Post
Would be interesting to see what's the new take on this.
Spoiler:
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 16:19   Link #690
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler:

Last edited by Renegade334; 2008-05-04 at 16:25. Reason: Grammar and all that. Jeebus. I need some Coke.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 05:03   Link #691
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

As someone who has barely started Neon Genesis Evangelion and wants to watch the movie, which episodes did the first movie cover?

I also think that watching the original episodes then the movie would also be a good way to compare and whatnot.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 05:29   Link #692
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
As someone who has barely started Neon Genesis Evangelion and wants to watch the movie, which episodes did the first movie cover?

I also think that watching the original episodes then the movie would also be a good way to compare and whatnot.
Very clearly, it covers episodes 1 through 6.

Really, I don't think there is much of note to compare unless you factor in the more subtle, gentler moments that happens with Shinji and Katsuragi. That and the incredibly early mention of the prototypes and a strange moon-evangelion unit.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 09:46   Link #693
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
i m coming quite late in this thread and i didnt have the time to read the 35 page of it, due to a love/hate relation with evangelion i still remember the general concept and philosphic/psychologic aspect of the show but cant remember the specific details.
10 years ago i must admit that both the end of evangelion and Death & Rebirth really wrecked my mental state for a few weeks so i didnt really tried to keep track of the various movies about this serie
i m rather confused is New Evangelion Project: Rebuild of Evangelion a new TV serie following the same story as the serie from the 90 or is it a movie?
does it has any relation with the recently released movie You are (not) Alone?
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 09:50   Link #694
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Rebuild of Evangelion IS the movie tetralogy currently produced by GAINAX and Studio Khara - and 'Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: 'You are (not) Alone' is its first installment.
Old 2008-05-05, 09:51   Link #695
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Well, I just got around watching it (I was waiting so I could do so with two friends of mine who are also Eva fans), and I have to say I'm impressed, but that I feel that there's more to come yet. This first movie was nothing more than a "mind refresher" of sorts, except perhaps when nearing the end when several things change a lot, like Misato showing Lilith to Shinji (and actually thinking it's Lilith instead of mistaking it for Adam). The connection between Shinji and Misato has been developed on much more tighter thanks to this. There's also the fact that Shinji never learns that Gendo saved Rei at the cost of burning his hands. A few conversations between Ritsuko and Misato were also added, and the obvious removal of a lot of angels (from 18 to 13) And, of course, the OMG WTF effect of Kaworu appearing on the Moon and all that jazz about the "Third again".

Overall, it was a very enjoyable movie. I really think it was worth it, even if it was just to milk the cow a little further. Eva deserved a remake like this. And there's more to come--I hope they don't screw up with what they're adding.

PS: Cue the "OMG SHINJI IS SO EMO" comments ignoring the context under which this series first aired and why it had such an impact on the otaku society in Japan.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 12:49   Link #696
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Rebuild of Evangelion IS the movie tetralogy currently produced by GAINAX and Studio Khara - and 'Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0: 'You are (not) Alone' is its first installment.
thanks for the infos, i really need to rewatch that collector box of evangelion i bought... with no other purpose than collection and dive again in the mindrape that evangelion was. i m pretty sure a lot of things would make a lot more sense now.

reguarding the 2 movies "the end" and "death & rebirth" can anyone tell me wich one is the most watchable and wich one concludes the serie (i only remember one of the 2 was stock footage from the last 2 eps of eva)
Old 2008-05-05, 13:30   Link #697
Tormenk

That will be End of Evangelion. Definitely puts and end to the story but whether it is conclusive or not will be decided entirely by you.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 13:46   Link #698
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
reguarding the 2 movies "the end" and "death & rebirth" can anyone tell me wich one is the most watchable and wich one concludes the serie (i only remember one of the 2 was stock footage from the last 2 eps of eva)
Death & Rebirth is a bit more than mere stock footage (with better budget and all that) - sure, it's a recap/rehash of what occurred so far in the series but there are a few scenes that never made it to the series (I don't have the Editor's Cut so I can't tell what changed again in the meantime) that are introduced prior to the grand finale. If you're looking forward to saving money or if you want to cut to the chase, I'd advise you to drop Death & Rebirth and make a beeline for End of Evangelion but if you're hardcore enough to want the entire series, then I suggest you buy it, too.

In the end, it's your call, but out of the two, EoE carries the most momentum, I'd say.
Old 2008-05-05, 14:09   Link #699
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

thanks for the infos again.

EoE is the movie where
Spoiler:
Old 2008-05-05, 14:27   Link #700
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Quote:
Spoiler:
That'd be EoE.
Quote:
Spoiler:
I suggest you look around a little bit more...your 'wall of text' was nothing compared to the speculation spree certain people can deliver. Even I did that at one point. Well, I still do depending on the circumstances, too.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, in Benelux (j'habite en Belgique, pour info), EoE and D&R are usually sold together in a single package by Dybex, so I guess that you can get both at the same time without any hitch.

Tags
movie, remake