AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2011-12-30, 04:21   Link #461
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

You guys are seriously over thinking this. The SOTM is going to resume after the New Years holiday. I wanted it to be a surprise but with certain members pushing, I see there's no choice but to announce it early. Yes, it will include the new rule changes I outlined earlier this year.

In regards to the format of the contest itself, people need to understand that the SOTM is not a competition, it is a tool to help users improve their abilities and creativity. It's in a contest format so that we can offer a new challenge every month in a manner that feels somewhat meaningful.

That's why the "prize" for winning is so simple, and not something fancy like a bump in reputation or a special title. Your reward shouldn't extend past the contest itself, since the point is improvement and expression of creativity and not fame/fortune.
Old 2011-12-30, 04:28   Link #462
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
I wanted it to be a surprise
Not to be rude, but it is indeed a surprise; the odds of reviving this contest event is getting slimmer and slimmer as the months go.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-30, 04:51   Link #463
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Not to be rude, but it is indeed a surprise; the odds of reviving this contest event is getting slimmer and slimmer as the months go.
I knew when the contest first began that interest would wane eventually. For some people, it's a novelty, for others, it's a way to pass the time. Still others like the challenge, and others simply want the recognition. There are numerous reasons why people participate, and quit.

Still there will be a time when all good things come to an end. It might happen after another few runs, or maybe it will take a few more years. We'll see. Inevitably though, it will end. It's not like Saimoe, which is a huge event run across multiple forums and websites. It's just not built like, or for, that kind of size and interest.

I'm proud of what the contest has accomplished, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking it is more than it is.
Old 2011-12-30, 09:28   Link #464
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
You guys are seriously over thinking this. The SOTM is going to resume after the New Years holiday. I wanted it to be a surprise but with certain members pushing, I see there's no choice but to announce it early.
Lol well at least there's a lot of interest!; too bad for the surprise though.
Old 2012-01-02, 01:14   Link #465
Suomi
Kaiba

I will be glad to see the SOTM return. Will have to dust off my PS...

and I agree with Solace on all counts. Welcome back, Solace to the contest anyway.
Old 2012-03-21, 00:59   Link #466
Shin'i

oh so art comps are dead here
Old 2012-03-27, 01:41   Link #467
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
I like how Solace finally gave a date when SOTM will continue yet New Year's holidays came and passed .. SOTM didn't. Can't say I didn't expect that, though.
Old 2012-03-31, 14:25   Link #468
Krytonis
Koomi-kun~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHerrera View Post
Debates getting heated..
How about we do this instead?

If we go along with ahelos plan then..

The two who wins the SOTM of that month gets to pick the topic for next month and sits out? and gets to be the judges. So that someone else has a chance to win, when that month is over and they find a winner they get to enter again in the next month.
I can't believe I missed out completely on this thread. I feel ashamed! Well I just joined this forum. I think I know what is going on, and I agree with ahelo and CMHerrera's plan on this. This will be my first time participating, but I don't know when it will start or the theme.... HALP
Old 2012-04-01, 05:12   Link #469
Dist

You missed out on the thread because it's dead. As it would seem, this contest is not resurrecting.
Old 2012-04-01, 05:32   Link #470
Krytonis
Koomi-kun~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
You missed out on the thread because it's dead. As it would seem, this contest is not resurrecting.
Ah.. I see.. Well too bad for me
Old 2012-04-01, 08:49   Link #471
escimo
Paparazzi

I for one am still cautiously optimistic about SotM's future. At least I'll wait for the official announcement.

BTW rather than complaining about it how about taking initiative. Solace has been organizing the SotM in the past but I wonder how much he'd mind if someone else took over or at least did some ground work for the possible SotM reincarnation... I'm sure a few volunteers could be found around here to take care of the workload.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 08:53   Link #472
Krytonis
Koomi-kun~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
I for one am still cautiously optimistic about SotM's future. At least I'll wait for the official announcement.

BTW rather than complaining about it how about taking initiative. Solace has been organizing the SotM in the past but I wonder how much he'd mind if someone else took over or at least did some ground work for the possible SotM reincarnation... I'm sure a few volunteers could be found around here to take care of the workload.
I will be willing to volunteer with anything that has to do with AnimeSuki Forums. I am not sure if they would want me though? You can be one of the volunteers? You seem perfect in everything!

I will stay optimistic as well! Only thing we can do is hope that it will rise again!
Old 2012-04-01, 09:00   Link #473
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

doing that would make it look like we're competing in an underground competition /ninja

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-01, 09:19   Link #474
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koominator View Post
I will be willing to volunteer with anything that has to do with AnimeSuki Forums. I am not sure if they would want me though? You can be one of the volunteers? You seem perfect in everything!

I will stay optimistic as well! Only thing we can do is hope that it will rise again!
Considering that I've barely returned from a year or so long hiatus I'm not really sure if you'd want me... I have no idea how long this period of activity will last.

That being said my schedules permitting I'd be glad to help out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
doing that would make it look like we're competing in an underground competition /ninja
It's worth remembering that Solace wasn't part of the regular site staff when SotM started so I guess the origins of the "official" SotM are somewhat equally underground.
Old 2012-04-01, 14:36   Link #475
Dist

But how are you to organize a competition without moderator rights? Well I guess it's possible to some extent but hm .. I do really wonder if Solace would just let someone else '' take over '', even though the contest is pretty much dead as it is now.
Old 2012-04-01, 15:18   Link #476
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Solace becomed a moderator not before but after he started to organize the SOTM, so I think than we don't need a moderator to organize a competition, it might help because they can give more easiely visibility to the contest than the average member but otherwise.
Old 2012-04-01, 16:30   Link #477
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
I don't want to sound like a downer, but...what do you guys expect the attendance to be? I mean sure, go ahead if there's interest, but this thread was dead for almost 3 months.

Solace won't bother organizing this if there's a blatant lack of interest. If you want to take over, try to get a poll working, see how many people actually want SOTM back (+it gets newcomers interested).
Old 2012-04-01, 17:21   Link #478
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larthak View Post
I don't want to sound like a downer, but...what do you guys expect the attendance to be? I mean sure, go ahead if there's interest, but this thread was dead for almost 3 months.

Solace won't bother organizing this if there's a blatant lack of interest. If you want to take over, try to get a poll working, see how many people actually want SOTM back (+it gets newcomers interested).
That's a valid point. However can't really know what the attendance would be until you try. I'd probably go for a slightly longer entry period for the first one to improve the chances of some of us old geezers taking notice of it.

I personally would count 20 or so entries as a success. If there's less it might need a bit more time to simmer. I've been more or less gone from the forums for a year and I do have to admit the activity of the whole Fan Creations sub-forum seems to be down from what it used to be but then again a bit of a headlining event might help to rejuvenate the FC as well.

Anyway resetting the theme cycle will probably help as will the new technical regulations. I know that there are a few already used themes I'd love to have another stab at and looser regulations are an added bonus as well.
I believe I'm not alone.
Old 2012-04-02, 02:10   Link #479
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

To be continued....
Old 2012-04-02, 03:25   Link #480
escimo
Paparazzi

That's all I need to hear.

Tags