AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-08, 11:46   Link #41
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I'm all for slow and steady when what is being discussed/shown is interesting. Sadly, druggie children causing a ruckus is extremely uninteresting after the first chapter.

I do like Mocha though, or at least the lengths she has gone to in order to save her friends. Mocha for Nakama! Chopper needs some "companionship"...that came out dirtier than I intended.

Speaking of Chopper, I felt that's what made this particular conflict interesting. I think this is the first time since his introduction that we've really seen Chopper actually get his medical skills put to the test. I mean sure, I'm all for big brawls as much as the next guy, but is it really so wrong to see some actual character development for once.....?
Old 2012-11-08, 13:05   Link #42
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I guess people just want the series to have super-fast pacing like Toriko. But unfortunately that would make for a very sloppy story (case in point: Look at what happened when Oda rushed the previous storyline!). The impatient ones can fuss all they want, but I'd rather the story take its damn time so it can flow better.....
Honestly I find this is a typical defensive fanboy reaction which is completely unnecessary.

When you drag things out, the flow of the story isn't going better it's going worse. The opposite is also true. I've noticed Oga likes to drag things out and I think lots of One Piece arcs suffer because of this.
It would be interesting to see how the One Piece would have looked like if Oga could complete each arc in its entirely before publishing it.
Old 2012-11-08, 13:34   Link #43
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

why is there no chapters next week?

Poor chopper is so caring, I know people in real life who get like those kids without their candy.

Cesar needs his ass kicked asap.
Old 2012-11-08, 13:43   Link #44
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

It's pretty much customary for Oda to take a break every 3 or 4 weeks now. He's only human after all.

Anyway, I can concur that this chapter was rather underwhelming. Though for a girl her age, Mocha is really something to take one for the team like that.

Luffy with a dragon draped over his shoulders certainly looks badass too.~
Old 2012-11-08, 14:17   Link #45
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizoku Keenan View Post
why is there no chapters next week?
Because Oda needs to sacrifice some of his fans to his Goat-God in order to get his creative juices flowing.
Old 2012-11-08, 14:23   Link #46
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Because Oda needs to sacrifice some of his fans to his Goat-God in order to get his creative juices flowing.
he should have ask Jump for a box of cigars and a intern.
Old 2012-11-08, 14:41   Link #47
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
he should have ask Jump for a box of cigars and a intern.
He keeps using the interns as sacrifices for his Goat-God, so Jump doesn't provide them any longer. And his wife forbids smoking in the house...
Old 2012-11-08, 15:38   Link #48
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

if you think the series is moving too slowly then i suggest stop checking out each chapter every week... wait and build up like a queue of 20 chapters then read them all at once, it should feel faster then lol
Old 2012-11-08, 16:46   Link #49
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

^This is what I do without even actively trying it. I just eventually lose interest for a while. Then months later I go back and catch up in like two hours or so.
Old 2012-11-08, 17:59   Link #50
golgo13

Usopp, Brooke and Kinemon are off looking for Mononosuke and seastone cuffs. They will probably end up in section R and meet up with Luffy/Mononosuke + Caeser. Doubt they end up in the SAD room, but possible.

Once again will guess that Donflamingo will not be making an appearance. They have to leave the island in less than 2 hours in accordance to Laws plan.
Old 2012-11-08, 18:50   Link #51
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Honestly I find this is a typical defensive fanboy reaction which is completely unnecessary.

When you drag things out, the flow of the story isn't going better it's going worse. The opposite is also true. I've noticed Oga likes to drag things out and I think lots of One Piece arcs suffer because of this.
It would be interesting to see how the One Piece would have looked like if Oga could complete each arc in its entirely before publishing it.

First off, I think you meant Oda.

Secondly, I think you misunderstood me somewhat, because I'm not a fan of dragged-out arcs, either. Heck, I've always felt the whole Enies Lobby arc would have been a lot better if Oda cut out about half the chapters that focused on unnecessary fighting (like Luffy fighting against thousands of fodder marines solo, for instance).

I'm not championing the series progressing at a snail's pace, but I just don't get the complaints about a single chapter being focused on the drugged kids. I could understand if it were like.... say, something like 3-5 chapters (which WOULD be dragging things out, I wholeheartedly agree), but I sorta can't help but feel that anyone making so much fuss over ONE chapter needs some ritalin or something.....
Old 2012-11-08, 20:29   Link #52
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 688
This chapter was disappointing. It is not what the chapter was about but how it went. Chopper and Robbin can solve the whole issue but instead they prolong it with the chase and comes down to Mocha eating it. I have no criticism on Mocha because she is a kid but come on Chopper or Robbin can't play keep away with the candy. Robbin would be perfect for containing kids or keeping the candy away from them. While Chopper administers the medicine. With how quickly the medicine works they would have it contained in no time. Mocha did not have to eat that candy.

Breach in the Alliance?
Finally Laws plan sounds like it will go south. Luffy is supposed to capture CC, but it seems like he is out for blood now. Also would Luffy follow through with Laws plan knowing that Law(Regardless if he knew or not) sided with CC when this child testing was happening? If Luffy and Law meet up, Luffy needs to start asking questions and comparing notes with the rest of the crew. If Law can make a alliance with CC what else is he capable of, Luffy better watch his back.
Old 2012-11-09, 00:10   Link #53
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
oga? oga from beelzebub?

uh, i don't think so. oda is not perfect and there were some arcs that i felt he shouldn't have bothered with, but punk hazard is not as boring as you think it is. i actually find it interesting, much much more interesting than fishman arc. i don't really consider myself as a fanatic who refuse to see anything wrong about the series. like marvel, i'd rather have a slow-paced story that's well-written than a fast-paced worthless piece of crap arc that we usually get from other shonen series. i still think oda is a far better writer than most shonen manga-ka so i try not to complain too much. i just try to enjoy the series for what it is.
Old 2012-11-09, 00:48   Link #54
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
As for this conversation about incompetence, I find it a bit silly. It's like asking a safari ranger to sedate 100 rampaging animals without permanent damage in 5 minutes by himself and simply handing him a rifle, then calling him incompetent because he can't do it. The situational elements are all there, the tall order, crazy time constraint, and severe lack of able personnel on hand. All the trio could do is what they could with what they had. "Do whatever it takes?" What? If you hadn't noticed, they're trying NOT to defeat the kids as they did the 20,000 on fishmen island. The only strawhats who'd be able to feasibly accomplish this would be Luffy with CoC, or Zoro with his "mad fear skillz". Even Sanji, one of the monster trio, needed a battalion of marines to accomplish this in a short time.
Your analogy isn't very good by the simple basis that One Piece characters are far from ordinary; even the weakest people are capable of "superhuman" feats at the very least. Of course we know that the strawhats aren't trying to defeat the kids, but by no means should they have difficulty restraining/stopping them. They've dealt with far worse than drugged kiddies pre-skip, so I don't buy this nonsense of them having problems here. This is the New World we're talking about here, a place that Oda hyped up to death about how dangerous and terrible it is. If the strawhats are to have trouble with something in the New World, it certainly shouldn't be from a bunch of kids gone berserk. That is lame and bad writing on Oda's part.
Old 2012-11-09, 02:17   Link #55
chancs

I really want some Luffy action. I want him to kick every1's a**
Old 2012-11-09, 03:03   Link #56
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

If you got problems with pacing now, that means you're new to the series, and wasn't following it weekly since the early days. It was always like this, Albasta, Skypiea, etc.

Stop reading the serialization entirely.
Only follow the volumes.
Old 2012-11-09, 03:22   Link #57
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Your analogy isn't very good by the simple basis that One Piece characters are far from ordinary; even the weakest people are capable of "superhuman" feats at the very least. Of course we know that the strawhats aren't trying to defeat the kids, but by no means should they have difficulty restraining/stopping them. They've dealt with far worse than drugged kiddies pre-skip, so I don't buy this nonsense of them having problems here. This is the New World we're talking about here, a place that Oda hyped up to death about how dangerous and terrible it is. If the strawhats are to have trouble with something in the New World, it certainly shouldn't be from a bunch of kids gone berserk. That is lame and bad writing on Oda's part.
Long time we not get into a debate kuma but when have the SH face worst .
The SH when ever they fight people take them down by beating them that is not the case with the kids .
It is much harder to fight someone without hurting them (expect if your kira ) plus they on a time limit .
Then your talking about there superhuman feats but Nami , Robin and Chopper are not about that .
Right now Chopper still recovering from monster point , Nami was never about physical power and Robin trying but she has to be careful not to get hurt .
Then there the kids and all they care about is the drugs and if you have ever seen a drug addict they become superhuman sometimes trying to get there next fix .

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
If you got problems with pacing now, that means you're new to the series, and wasn't following it weekly since the early days. It was always like this, Albasta, Skypiea, etc.

Only follow the volumes.
I think another problem is the breaks , OP is around the same pacing but the breaks make it seem even longer than usual .
If Oda takes 10 weeks off this year that is a Vol less for the year so it effecting people . ( Oda should relax more but breaks sometimes means he doing other stuff )
I remember hearing the same thing during the war but in Vol format it so much better .
Old 2012-11-09, 06:51   Link #58
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Long time we not get into a debate kuma but when have the SH face worst .
The SH when ever they fight people take them down by beating them that is not the case with the kids .
It is much harder to fight someone without hurting them (expect if your kira ) plus they on a time limit .
Then your talking about there superhuman feats but Nami , Robin and Chopper are not about that .
Right now Chopper still recovering from monster point , Nami was never about physical power and Robin trying but she has to be careful not to get hurt .
Then there the kids and all they care about is the drugs and if you have ever seen a drug addict they become superhuman sometimes trying to get there next fix .
I know it's not the case with the kids, but this restriction still shouldn't give them a hard time. Period. Not only have the strawhats dealt with much more dire threats in the past, but they've also undergone 2 years of training over the time-skip that has increased their fighting strength by many fold. To have any kind of trouble with these kids is unacceptable and inexcusable. Once again, Oda is making a much bigger deal out of something when it really isn't.
Old 2012-11-09, 07:53   Link #59
andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I know it's not the case with the kids, but this restriction still shouldn't give them a hard time. Period. Not only have the strawhats dealt with much more dire threats in the past, but they've also undergone 2 years of training over the time-skip that has increased their fighting strength by many fold. To have any kind of trouble with these kids is unacceptable and inexcusable. Once again, Oda is making a much bigger deal out of something when it really isn't.
As i said what were the more dire threats and how did SH deal with them ?
Yes the SH had a 2 year time skip increased their fighting strength but there are not fighting the kids which you seem to think is not a big deal .
What could have Nami learn in 2 years that would help her vs 20 drug out kids without hurting them when her weapon is base on attacking and evasion .
If the SH were fighting the kids they would be knock long time ago that is for certain .

Something tells me you have had a run in with drug addict trying to get a fix .
Old 2012-11-09, 12:16   Link #60
Blaat

Quote:
First off, I think you meant Oda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
oga? oga from beelzebub?
I have to admit that Oda typo I made was pretty funny, I guess that happens when you make the post after reading the latest Beelzebub.

Quote:
I'm not championing the series progressing at a snail's pace, but I just don't get the complaints about a single chapter being focused on the drugged kids. I could understand if it were like.... say, something like 3-5 chapters (which WOULD be dragging things out, I wholeheartedly agree), but I sorta can't help but feel that anyone making so much fuss over ONE chapter needs some ritalin or something.....
To be fair my comment wasn't aimed at the single chapter but at the arc as whole. I feel this chapter adds but is not the cause of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post

Only follow the volumes.
"You young whipper-snappers back in my days Luffy had to fight the main bad guy of the arc not once but twice to much of my frustration!"

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion