Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goeckeritz View Post
Animation: 10/10
Plot: 8/10
Characters: 9/10
Battles: 9/10
Overall: 9/10

Has anybody considered that 00 is a prelude to the original MSG? Colonies are just being built along the orbital elevators; the world has moved away from fossil fuels (in MSG they used nuclear power, which could be a replacement for solar); the Earth has become united and renamed "Earth Federation" (that is a big give away right there); Gundam 00 appears and shares similarities to RX 78 (although in MSG RX 78 was made by the feds); the Alejandro's organization could be an ancestor of the Zeon rebels; Lastly, although they haven't mentioned it yet, the year might be changed later to UC 00"00" where the name for the series might originate.

I don't know, I just figured this was the case because the A.D. calendar was still being used and "00" was the title.
I've been saying this for months...That 00 is an other-world prequel for Gundam...

Hopefully I'll have my analysis up later tonight...Been having net issues at home, oh and I kinda wrecked my car this weekend...Yeah, no plot sheild for me T_T...
Old 2008-04-07, 15:25   Link #62
jonli
JONLIの憂'

It's not possible for 00 to be a UC prequel, for obvious reasons.

Although I can see it being a start to a new Gundam timeline.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 16:36   Link #63
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
It's not possible for 00 to be a UC prequel, for obvious reasons.

Although I can see it being a start to a new Gundam timeline.
Pretty much. By the time MSG came around, mobile suits were in their infancy, there weren't those huge solar elevators (and no back history of them having been destroyed), no GN beam technology (when GN drives are shown to be everything but the second coming of Jesus), and so on.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 17:14   Link #64
Revolutionist
Puppet Master

I voted perfect because frankly this series kept me entertained from episodes 1-25. There was absolutely no stock footage used whatsoever, except for the introductions the first few episodes, but that's expected. Beyond that every battle was incredibly well done and unique, no reused scenes of the same grunts dying over and over again. The animation was crisp and beautiful, <3 HD.

The director and producers did a very good job of making the Gundams extremely powerful yet vulnerable at the same time. It was nice seeing the bad guys overcome their technological disadvantage by using strategy and superior combat experience. That's something unheard of in Gundam, at least going a few years back. Needless to say it was refreshing to see antagonists put up a good fight against the Gundams, and sometimes even overpower them with sheer force, raw skills and a steel-hard sack.

Speaking of bad guys, I loved how there weren't any legitimately evil characters bent on destruction or the annihilation of the human race for pseudo-philosophical reasons or plain bad writing.

The final episode left something to be desired, Alejandro was a terrible pilot (since when do UN ambassadors know how to pilot Mobile Suits? lol), and the entire fight with Setsuna+Lasse was boring as heck. Graham's final duel with Exia redeemed episode 25 though, despite the whole thing feeling incredibly rushed and out of place. I liked how they ended S1 with Celestial Being's destruction, there was no flawless ending this time *cough*. The epilogue though was hella lame, the thing should've ended with Setsuna's final message to Marina Ismail IMO. It would've made both his and Graham's reappearance that much shocking.
Revolutionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 17:45   Link #65
seven dreamsong

it seems the story is becoming just a *itsy-bitsy* more believable...

http://www.reuters.com/news/video/vi...o1203732263148
the start of the aeolia's solar revolution?

now if we can only get a definite date on production of giant robots
seven dreamsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 18:20   Link #66
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Prolly would have done this sooner, but I kinda got into a wreck this weekend...Oh I'm fine, just totally pwned my rim and front-tire because of the god-awful pot-holes in this city (New Orleans)...So as I sit here and wait for some random old guy mechanic to come look at my $hitty tire, this seemed like the right time to give my overall...

Spoiler for Animation Quality:

Spoiler for Voice Actors:

Spoiler for Script/Plot:

Spoiler for Characters:

Spoiler for Editing:

Spoiler for Music:

I can't give it a perfect because it isn't even the end of the story, and I can't give a series a perfect if I find one episode to be nearly unbearable (The ep where Marina and Setsuna meet for the first time was a pretty bad episode, but really the only one IMO)...I think thru-out the last few years when a Gundam series comes out you either have one-side or the other side really pi$$ed...The guys who like the more realistic G-series hate the series that cater to the super-fantasy guys and the superfantasy guys have to call every person who wants more realistic $hit UC elitist when some of us like the AU stuff aswell...So in this effort I thought it was great to finally see a G-series that caters to both sides of the fanbase...

You want gritty, scrappy fighting? You got it...You want superficial Soopa-Robo action? You got it...You want cool looking characters for your doujinshi's and fanfics? You got it...You want fights where the grunts own Norris Packard style? You got it...And Gundam 00 has it, and for that I can't wait for season 2 to continue the trend...Gundam 00 is an extremely clever amalgam that went down the checklist of what the last series did wrong and intricately addressed those shortcomings in it's own way, all the while creating a completely separate universe... So my final tally would have to be an excellent rating of 9.47 outta 10...

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2008-04-07 at 18:31.
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 19:49   Link #67
dom33
Pat:TAISAAAAA!

action:10/10
the fights were very interesting, no one was a god here, every got hit, every one could dodge and everyone would have a consistent pilot skill level that increases along with everyone else, just like the good old days.

characters:10/10
there wasn't a single character I didn't like, i even came to like louise before the whole neena incident.(after putting up with shirley fenette and minmay it was easy.)the meisters are portrayed as humans well 3 out of 4 are er wait 4 out of 5 counting hallejulah. the 3 factions aces aren't evil they each have perfectly good reasons for their actions against the meisters,(well patrick's reasons are debatable.)they make the 3 factions each a different shade of grey.(take notes goro taniguchi) ali reminded of villians like yazan, rakan and mostly bask. women are presented equal to men.(that and fanservice is handeld in a good way.)

plot: 9.5/10
while the plot was interesting and never stopped moving it dosen't make me forget about the clip show.

tech designs: 10/10
the grunts where a breath of fresh air, the tieren was a unique monoeye, the flags are the best though. as for gundams they each stand out in their own way. 0 gundam is a nice tribute to the first gundam.

va:10/10
the voices suited the characters perfectly.

overall:10/10
after destiny gundam really needed this to recover, can't wait for season 2.
WhiteWings:To this day I don't know what the insanity behind the decision to release the first GSD ending. My God that was without a doubt the worst ending I had ever seen in my life in a anime series.
Blizzer: He already has special powers called super pheromone powers which makes him irresistable to Sekirei's in heat.
dom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 22:18   Link #68
Goeckeritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
Pretty much. By the time MSG came around, mobile suits were in their infancy, there weren't those huge solar elevators (and no back history of them having been destroyed), no GN beam technology (when GN drives are shown to be everything but the second coming of Jesus), and so on.
im not arguing that the suits in MSG were slow a cumbersome compared to 00, however it is possible that they were really meant to be as fast or faster than the 00 it just was impossible, rather, to animate that in the 70's. Also, fans generally want to see faster, stronger action which would have made it counter-intuitive to make prototype mobile suits incredibly slow and boring. There is also the possibility that at the end of 00, if the calendar is renamed UC, the earth fed and orbital elevator habitats destroy all high tech suit data. Thus it would be the next generation or the generation after that that either discovers or uncovers the mech tech 60 years later.

I don't intend to be adamant about this, it's just that my theory that i kind developed about midway through the series just started to fit with the progressing story of 00 bit by bit. However, we wont know for sure until season 2 ends; let's just leave it at that.
Goeckeritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 23:04   Link #69
narmi
The Asian who's Malaysian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom33 View Post
after destiny gundam really needed this to recover, can't wait for season 2.
I have to agree with you there because after GS Destiny I was disappointed. However I'm glad I watched Gundam 00 and I can't wait for season two.

Series rating: 9.5/10

Why?
Spoiler for my reason in a nutshell:

As I have already said I can't wait for season two to be released during the fall of 2009 . Hopefully we only have to wait about 18 months at most (including possible delays during production).

In my opinion the ending scenes were fantastic (leaving an excellent opening to the second season) and I need to get back to what I was doing.

http://www.nanofate.us/ NanoFate main website Weiss Schwarz Facebook Group - Deck theme: MSLN Nanoha
narmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 23:11   Link #70
Mangaka-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by narmi View Post

As I have already said I can't wait for season two to be released during the fall of 2009 . Hopefully we only have to wait about 18 months at most (including possible delays during production).

In my opinion the ending scenes were fantastic (leaving an excellent opening to the second season) and I need to get back to what I was doing.
It's already been announced that season 2 comes out in October of this year. o_0
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 03:46   Link #71
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
im not arguing that the suits in MSG were slow a cumbersome compared to 00, however it is possible that they were really meant to be as fast or faster than the 00 it just was impossible, rather, to animate that in the 70's. Also, fans generally want to see faster, stronger action which would have made it counter-intuitive to make prototype mobile suits incredibly slow and boring. There is also the possibility that at the end of 00, if the calendar is renamed UC, the earth fed and orbital elevator habitats destroy all high tech suit data. Thus it would be the next generation or the generation after that that either discovers or uncovers the mech tech 60 years later.

I don't intend to be adamant about this, it's just that my theory that i kind developed about midway through the series just started to fit with the progressing story of 00 bit by bit. However, we wont know for sure until season 2 ends; let's just leave it at that.
I respect your theory, it's actually not a bad idea, and sounds pretty interesting. However it still isn't possible because it conflicts with many other things in the UC universe. Colonies were invented before Mobile Suits, and are pretty common. While in 00, colonies are rare as hell, and Mobile Suits are everywhere. Many differences between Minovsky Particles and GN Particles. 00 machinery are mostly powered by Solar Energy and GN Particles, while UC Mobile Suits are powered with nuclear technology (or something along those lines).
Solar energy is pretty established in the AD world, I doubt they would suddenly change their main energy source.
Your theory would probably work if something like Turn A happened, where the world basically came to an end. (It even fits the theme, rebirth through destruction) However I seriously doubt that would happen, because in order for this to work, a lot of retconning needs to be done.

The UC Timeline is a lot more established than the AD Timeline, I seriously doubt a director new to Gundam has the ability to retcon the UC universe to his liking. Sunrise, Bandai and Fans won't be quiet.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 08:15   Link #72
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
I respect your theory, it's actually not a bad idea, and sounds pretty interesting. However it still isn't possible because it conflicts with many other things in the UC universe. Colonies were invented before Mobile Suits, and are pretty common. While in 00, colonies are rare as hell, and Mobile Suits are everywhere. Many differences between Minovsky Particles and GN Particles. 00 machinery are mostly powered by Solar Energy and GN Particles, while UC Mobile Suits are powered with nuclear technology (or something along those lines).
Solar energy is pretty established in the AD world, I doubt they would suddenly change their main energy source.
Your theory would probably work if something like Turn A happened, where the world basically came to an end. (It even fits the theme, rebirth through destruction) However I seriously doubt that would happen, because in order for this to work, a lot of retconning needs to be done.

The UC Timeline is a lot more established than the AD Timeline, I seriously doubt a director new to Gundam has the ability to retcon the UC universe to his liking. Sunrise, Bandai and Fans won't be quiet.
I didn't want to have to post that myself, but now that it has I may as well give some improvements.

In 00, solar power is king while nuclear power is more or less obsolete. There is no need for a Jupiter Energy fleet, especially now that GN drives are common knowledge.

No matter how classified they are, the technology to build warmachines doesn't regress to the level that it would have to for UC. In 00, mobile suits are already transforming and performing on the level of jets, are already on carriers, and are completely acknowledged as supperior to conventional tanks and jets. There is no way, for example, that the "EF" would chose to remake tincods and other such archaic planes when Hellions have flooded markets for years and are in private hands.

Another point is where did the Solar Elevators and infrastructure go? UC's established timeline makes no reference to a devastating war after its foundation until the One Year War, and solar power is more or less king in 00.

There's also the fact that in UC, the EF was a "rich man's club" that forced the poorer parts of the Earth (read: Asia and South America especially) into space, while in 00 Asia IS one of the richer parts of the world. Colonization in 00 is a much more controlled, slow process.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 09:57   Link #73
narmi
The Asian who's Malaysian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangaka-chan View Post
It's already been announced that season 2 comes out in October of this year. o_0
Ohh I didn't know that thank goodness I was wrong on the release date .

http://www.nanofate.us/ NanoFate main website Weiss Schwarz Facebook Group - Deck theme: MSLN Nanoha
narmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 12:14   Link #74
extend

I liked the series, but the only downfall was there was so many characters that wasn't given enough development or no development at all because things were compressed into 25 episodes.

I give G00 S1 a 9.
extend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 16:21   Link #75
KaiZX
Dogbert Financial Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
I have to disagree with all of those that say this is better than wing...IMO this is Wing toned down.

The character personalities aren't as strong, and when they are, they're killed off, as was the case with Lockon (unless confirmed otherwise) and Hallelujah (unless Allelujah gets stuck in a position that he has to summon him again)

The biggest discrepancy from Wing though was Alejandro. Treize had his own schemes, but face it--the guy was a class act and AFTER death, he has essentially found immortality through Mariemeia, Wufei, and Zechs (one of the two easily best pilots in the series and the post U.C (just so the fanboys won't be offended) gundam franchise barring perhaps Killer Tomato). In the meantime, Alejandro tried to be set up as that scheming politician but he just went completely evil and died a death befitting of a typical villain, rather than a dignified one like Treize or dare I even say Durandall (shit the guy died happily with his "family" around him).

Wing and SEED are both visibly better than G00 IMO, although we're judging G00 from the halfway point and it can get even more epic, but I have a feeling G00 will only be Exia 1.5 rather than something akin to Strike Freedom or Wing Gundam Zero.
I think Wing's biggest "strength", its dominating characters and their personalities, also happens to be its greatest weakness. Wing is a notable Gundam series because the show examines the role of war, peace, and revolutions behind human history, and gives a viewpoint on what happens when personal or social ideals clashes with the realities of politics. That's similar to Gundam 00.

The problem with Wing is that, because its characters have such dominating presences, that we as the audience are forced to see the world through their eyes only. In other words, only the Gundam pilots (and along with Relena and Zechs) really matters in this world, but we don't get to see how the average soldier or the average civilian react to events. We also don't get to see how the destruction of the war affects the average person, because we see everything through the eyes of only a few important characters. It becomes a narrow viewpoint.

Wing also gives you the sense that only a few characters can change the world. Think about it: the Gundam pilots, Relena, Zechs, they pretty much all steer the world on their own. They are almost god-like in their abilities to just change the world. For example, Marina Ismail didn't change Azadistan by herself. In fact, even with Setsuna's help, we saw that she was unable to really guide her country from its civil war and its economic crisis. On the other hand, Marina's "counterpart" Relena Peacecraft singlehandedly rebuild her old home, the Sanc Kingdom, from its ashes. Again, not realistic.

On the other hand, 00 does a VERY nice job of showing the world events through the side characters' eyes. That's why we have characters like Saji or Louise or Billy or Howard; we see how the war affects them. It gives you a greater perspective on the world at large. And all these characters play a role in the story. Louise's death will likely affect Saji's future, and Saji knows Setsuna and may eventually come to know him as a Celestial Being.

Also, 00 gives you characters who you can relate to. Lockon Stratos may be a Gundam pilot, but you can understand his motivations because you know that his parents were killed by terrorists. And these terrorists, among whom one of them is Ali Al Sarches, allegedly used religion as their justification, since Setsuna was trained when he was a child to believe that what he did was "for God." Does that premise sound familiar? If you're from real-life Ireland or Iraq, I'm sure you know all about sectarian violence that comes out of religious intolerance.

And that's why Lockon feels like such a real character, because I can easily imagine meeting an Irish man on the streets whose past history is just like Lockon's. Only that man isn't a Gundam pilot.

IMO, 00 isn't a toned down version of Wing. In fact, it's the exact opposite. 00 is what Wing SHOULD have been. Where Wing examines world events like war and peace through characters with whom you CANNOT relate (because they are all superbeings), 00 actually gives you characters with whom you can emphasize.

SEED is a different animal altogether, but the focus of SEED is on character personalities and emotions rather than on ideals. Also, the fatal flaw of SEED is that it gets bogged down by the very fact that it focuses on "character relationships." There are times when I feel like I'm watching a soap opera. And of course, if you're going to talk SEED, then you have to talk about its immensely disappointing sequel SEED Destiny too.
KaiZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 20:01   Link #76
Zeta Gundam

Pssshhh people are still comparing 00 to Wing?

Yeah maybe in the first 3 or so episodes.After that I notice no resemblance,sans occasional Talking Head moments.

Both of the shows are structured so differently that they HAVE to be different.

A large part of Wing was them liberating the colonies from the Earth(Or was it vice-versa?).In 00,colonies have only been vaguely mentioned thus far.
Zeta Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 20:58   Link #77
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Hi My thoughts of gundam 00? All i can say this is 'once in a while' i mean 'in a meantime' show for those who already wait for the Code geass R2 ( which is currently on air last week, thank god) like i am. And then I like Setsuna's voice actor, Miyano Mamoru i mean this is gonna be my NEXT favourite seiyuu's list in my book since Akira Ishida to Jun Fukuyama.

So i'm gonna give gundam 00 a 9..... Out of 10.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 23:53   Link #78
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
I didn't want to have to post that myself, but now that it has I may as well give some improvements.

In 00, solar power is king while nuclear power is more or less obsolete. There is no need for a Jupiter Energy fleet, especially now that GN drives are common knowledge.

No matter how classified they are, the technology to build warmachines doesn't regress to the level that it would have to for UC. In 00, mobile suits are already transforming and performing on the level of jets, are already on carriers, and are completely acknowledged as supperior to conventional tanks and jets. There is no way, for example, that the "EF" would chose to remake tincods and other such archaic planes when Hellions have flooded markets for years and are in private hands.

Another point is where did the Solar Elevators and infrastructure go? UC's established timeline makes no reference to a devastating war after its foundation until the One Year War, and solar power is more or less king in 00.

There's also the fact that in UC, the EF was a "rich man's club" that forced the poorer parts of the Earth (read: Asia and South America especially) into space, while in 00 Asia IS one of the richer parts of the world. Colonization in 00 is a much more controlled, slow process.
Not trying to blow your thoughts into smithereens, but there is something you might be sweeping over...And that thing is called a cataclysmic armagedden (Crazy I know, but when talking Gundam this is cheese on a cracker)...Now I'm not saying Gundam 00 will try this or won't try it, but there is already a precedent for retconning technology in Gundam based on events that basically restart the world...Now both Turn A Gundam and Gundam X both specifically deal with world's that are in-effect forced to start over because of cataclysmic events...If Gundam 00 wanted to (not that they should) at some point blend the timeline there is relevance in Gundam lore to support it...

In the UC there are seemingly countless colonies, so many colonies that some have been destroyed and or abandoned just floating in space...If blended this could be easily explained as the tail-end of the effort started hundreds (Maybe even thousands) of years ago created in the 00-verse...Once space-colonies are fully functional and transport to space pretty nominal, why even have the elevators? That's if they weren't already destroyed in the events that forced the 00 world to dissapear...I mean the people who started the "Universal Century" (In this context) may have started it because they didn't really know what year it was^^...

Getting back to the technology, it can easily digress in a situation similar to how it regressed in Turn A...The dystopian world is created without people even knowing it's been created...Furthermore, in this world ignorance is bliss and if Wright-Brother planes are still flying around like it's all good, then it's all good (like in Turn A)...My point is whenever the technology is re-shaped it doesn't have to be as l33t as the lost technology it truly is...I mean think about the ridiculous technology in MSG...While now it looks pretty tame, for the universe itself, psyco-frames, colony stability, minovsky particles, Cyber-human evolution, fin-funnels (which are just pre-programmed bits in 00 instead of a much more advanced mind gear in UC)..Again Minovsky particles, hmm...Maybe GN Tau technology really did pollute the earth to the point some dude named Minovsky found it's toxic reminisce all over the earth (But to him it's just a new scientific discovery that screws with radars)...What I'm really getting at here is that while Gundam 00 SEEMS more advanced than UC in technology, it's really not at all...Additionally things in the UC can be seen as a progression of a destroyed 00 world...You might find the Gundam-head, but never the GN Drive...Nevertheless it still sparks an idea that somehow gets into the hands of Amuro's dad...

Now again I don't prescribe to Gundam 00 taking this course and while I'll stand by my point that it is a prequel in essence, it can be a symbolic prequel without ever being a true prequel...However if somehow, someway, with the twists and turns, and intellectual writing this show has delivered on various levels, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they pull some "Sixth Sense" type of jawdropper in the end connecting it with the UC timeline...Remember before this show even started all the buzz was that Sunrise was gonna do a UC again if they didn't do another CE...Just food for thought, but I don't think you can easily dismiss the concept that some are getting at...
Old 2008-04-10, 03:04   Link #79
testament101

I'll give this series a 8/10.

For the most part, I liked just about everything about this series...the only thing that killed it for me was Saji Crossroad. He was most likely the civilian perspective of the story...but for as much as they showed him, you would think they could actually showed some of the other support characters that actually DID something except for talk all day. What's more...him doing the epilogue at the end kinda killed it for me...it just seems like he got more character development than like everybody other than setsuna...which comes to this...he BETTER have a major role in the next season...or else I'm going to be thoroughly pissed about the amount of time they spent on him...it was like watching a 5 minute commercial every time they went to his life...when I was wanting to know what the hell was going on elsewhere...But other than that...I really liked it...I wanted a little more character development but it's only 25 ep so not to much time to develop that and I think they're saving some of the characters' development for the next season...
testament101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 10:57   Link #80
KaiZX
Dogbert Financial Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta Gundam View Post
Pssshhh people are still comparing 00 to Wing?

Yeah maybe in the first 3 or so episodes.After that I notice no resemblance,sans occasional Talking Head moments.

Both of the shows are structured so differently that they HAVE to be different.

A large part of Wing was them liberating the colonies from the Earth(Or was it vice-versa?).In 00,colonies have only been vaguely mentioned thus far.
Well, I compared it to Wing only because other people are comparing it to Wing. And season 2 does look to be about liberation from a single almighty Earth Federation, so I think the comparisons to Wing will only continue (because the storyline may become similar).

Besides, it's easy to compare 00 to Wing because of the pretty boy elements common to both shows. It's not necessarily a fair comparison, but it happens.
KaiZX is offline   Reply With Quote