AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-05-09, 12:56   Link #301
Irenesharda

This episode was okay, it wasn't bad or good, just average.

The graduation episodes are supposed to be emotional and make you a little teary-eyed as you remember all the memories of what the main characters have gone through and how they've grown and become the new stronger MCs you see today. However, the problem is... this is only episode 6.

We have barely seen this school, we've never really seen the team there and we've barely spent time with them as is. They are trying to make us feel nostalgic for a place we've never seen. The music is good, but it's emotionally manipulative in trying to force us to cry when we really feel nothing. They want us to miss a place we've never been to, and I could really care less.

I can understand why the MCs are sad, but I just can't get on board with this one. However, they didn't do a bad job here and so I'm not saying this episode was pure crap either. The episode would have been better near the end of the series, not the beginning.

The foreshadowing for new battles on the horizon was good. We see that with a few exceptions, the Wulgaru are quite human looking, so they literally could be hiding out anywhere in the human world as spies and no one would ever notice.

Which brings me to why was Team Rabbits graduation pushed so they could be out on the battlefield? I sense conspiracy. And Cmdr. Simon is high on my suspicion list, especially now that we know the Wulgaru look human.

And lastly, Team Doberman, after that goodbye in the beginning, those guys are getting major death flags from me. I have a feeling they will die out there on the front lines. If not soon, sometime close to the climax.

I give this episode a 5/10. It was average.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 15:04   Link #302
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

This episode seemed a bit more of an "aftermath" type of episode, with the main characters pondering their next roles. Although it's kinda hard for the boys at Team Rabbits to start reminiscing about their fond memories after only five episodes and we barely saw them spend any time at the Academy.

I'm honestly baffled at the crap Team Rabbits still gets from other pilots. They clearly saved the lives of hundreds of people in their first mission. Whatever screw ups they made before and after could not have possibly overshadowed that. At least the Academy students did make it clear that they would miss them. All in all, it was still a decent if a little uninspiring breather episode. breather

At least up until that cartoonishly over the top "Dun-Dun-Dun!" ending...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 15:17   Link #303
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Didn't really like the latest episode. The insert song was used rather poorly, the episode is generally just ho-hum all round. At least the intro arc is done with now though. The next few episodes should be more interesting. I hope they develop the Wulgaru empire stuff more now that the characters are in the actual military and will have to face them head on. The hints of how the empire's culture operates in the last few episodes were really intriguing.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 15:18   Link #304
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
That was one boring episode, at least next episode we'll finally meet the Wulgaru which only took the first quarter of the series to do.

And no, Gundamx, we don't know for sure. Plus when are people going to figure out her real name is Theoria? Can we stop calling her Lacus? Please?
same face ( if I don't know better I will said she is twin with that aliens or at least brother and sister)
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 15:20   Link #305
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post

I'm honestly baffled at the crap Team Rabbits still gets from other pilots. They clearly saved the lives of hundreds of people in their first mission. Whatever screw ups they made before and after could not have possibly overshadowed that. At least the Academy students did make it clear that they would miss them. All in all, it was still a decent if a little uninspiring breather episode. breather
Individually Team Rabbits are the best. Teamwork that is another matter.

Then they get the special treatment from the instructor and MJP.

We have to remember these are teenagers and they do what teenagers do to each other. Form cliques and stereotype each other.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 15:43   Link #306
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
same face ( if I don't know better I will said she is twin with that aliens or at least brother and sister)
I agree, I say it's pretty obvious that Theoria is Wulgaru just from her words, also look at the king and prince, she looks just like them, same hair color and style and everything. It's almost assured that she's the princess.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 15:44   Link #307
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

I'll wait until they actually confirm it in show.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 17:20   Link #308
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
It's a Hirai show, everybody's got the same face

That said, I agree it's pretty obvious she is an alien princess.

Edit:

Images
Team bunnies
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Kanon; 2013-05-09 at 17:36.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 17:52   Link #309
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's a Hirai show, everybody's got the same face

That said, I agree it's pretty obvious she is an alien princess.

Edit:

Images
Team bunnies
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
s-CRY-ed....
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 21:37   Link #310
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Once again, Kei's adorable!

Busty Wulgaru lady <-----mine!
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 23:29   Link #311
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I don't think the point of this episode is to make the viewer become misty-eyed. I think it's just meant to convey how important this graduation is for Team Rabbits, in spite of all the difficulties they faced at that Academy.

When you graduate from high school, some of your sillier and/or more embarrassing moments while there can actually turn into fond memories. And I think that was effectively conveyed by this episode - In spite of all the verbal abuse that was hurled on Team Rabbits while at the Academy, they had grown attached to the place, and viewed it as "their home".

Graduating from it represents an important transition in their life, and while there's some excitement and opportunity in the air, there's also some uncertainty and fear. I think this episode captures well those sensations that a young person goes through when s/he leaves high school and integrates into the adult working world.

Episode 6 certainly wasn't the most exciting of episodes, but we were kind of due a breather episode after all the intense mecha action of the first five episodes, and now was probably a good time to have one.

I also think that in-universe it makes a lot of sense for Team Rabbits to cleanly move beyond the Academy now. They've had two entirely successful military missions, and even their failures weren't catastrophic, so it only makes sense that the military doesn't want them wasting time in school any more. They're needed on the front lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
This episode seemed a bit more of an "aftermath" type of episode, with the main characters pondering their next roles. Although it's kinda hard for the boys at Team Rabbits to start reminiscing about their fond memories after only five episodes and we barely saw them spend any time at the Academy.

I'm honestly baffled at the crap Team Rabbits still gets from other pilots.
Some of it I think is jealousy. And some of it I think might be an attempt to turn "Fail Five" from an insult into a strange term of endearment. Perhaps in time Team Rabbits will actually look back on that "team name" with a sense of nostalgia, as a warm reminder of their humble beginnings which in turn will keep them humble even as they grow as ace mecha pilots.

I think the anime is trying to cast Team Rabbits as these awkward but plucky underdogs who make up for their extreme awkwardness with skill, heart, and determination. On the whole, I find that this show has a lot of heart. This show emotionally resonates with me more than either Gargantia or Valvrave does at the moment. I haven't seen Valvrave's fifth episode yet, but after I do, I think I'm going to draw more comprehensive comparisons between the three mecha series of Spring 2013.
Old 2013-05-09, 23:31   Link #312
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

calm before storm

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 23:39   Link #313
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
One thing I forgot to mention is that I really like the supporting cast character Amane (if I remember her name correctly).

I like how she brings a touch of humanity to the top military brass of this show. She also reminds me a bit of Akane from Psycho-Pass, and that's definitely a plus.
Old 2013-05-10, 04:18   Link #314
hai_san

Nice ep, a bit of developement, so no more laid back to school, but only the frontline awaits, more fight scenes!

I was half expecting them to fail the demonstration but also half hope they will have success. Asagi is slowly getting on my nerves with his belly aches.

Last edited by hai_san; 2013-05-10 at 09:25.
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 01:32   Link #315
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

You'd think medicine advanced enough for genetic engineering would've given Asagi either H. pylori antibiotics, PPIs for oversecretion, local slow-release anti-somatostatin, of which 2 are readily available as of present day.

But not everyone's a geek, much less a medical geek.
Old 2013-05-11, 10:16   Link #316
outlaw97

Long time lurker, but I like Majestic Prince enough to feel encouraged to actually post. Sad that it's not getting more attention, but hopefully it being 2 cour will allow more people to hop on board!

Like Triple_R and others have said, heart is definitely something Majestic Prince has going for it in spades. It's also clear that everything about this show will be focused on Team Rabbits - their personalities and interactions with each other. That makes for an easy drop/follow test - if you can't buy into the characters within 3 episodes, if you think they're too cliche, then I don't think the show's going to work for you. I myself am loving it - the chemistry between the five feels genuine enough to me, and there's still room for their personalities to grow. Plenty of room actually, considering their memories were wiped prior to the start of the series.

And it's that point that I think makes the graduation (in Ep 6) feel more poignant (to Team Rabbits) than to us the viewers. With no memories prior to entering the Academy, I would think that what little time they had there was that much more important to them, since that's all they had. Also remember that they're graduating early, so they're not even getting the full school experience. Unfortunately, that's a hard point to convey to us the viewers, short of one of Team Rabbits having a dramatic monologue about it. The bigger takeaway aspects of the episode for me were how they ended up interacting each other in the first place (Asagi punching Izuru by accident makes for a nice ice breaker), their redemption in the eyes of their class, and Izuru's last line - "From now on, wherever we are is home for Team Rabbits".

Lastly, a couple random points:
-Definitely feeling the Izuru x Kei pairing some more - notice how she was the only one who smiled about Izuru's attempt to fire everybody up with being Team Fail while everyone else ragged on him
-Team Fail will at least be remembered by the boys for giving unexpected Rin-Rin fanservice, with the next episode's title being "Prison of Lust", I can't wait to see how she's invovled
-I'm glad that I can more or less watch all three mecha shows this season since they're all going for different approaches; Valvrave is clearly going for spectacle and audacity, MJP is going for a more oldschool character-driven approach, and at this point I'm not sure Gargantia should even be considered a real mecha series...
outlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 14:14   Link #317
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
You'd think medicine advanced enough for genetic engineering would've given Asagi either H. pylori antibiotics, PPIs for oversecretion, local slow-release anti-somatostatin, of which 2 are readily available as of present day.

But not everyone's a geek, much less a medical geek.
An anti-somatostatin? Isn't that a bit extreme for ulcers that appear to be controlled by an antacid? I've only ever heard of somatostatin analogues used to prevent complications after pancreatic surgery. What kind of anti-somatostatin drugs do you have over there? Do you perhaps mean a prostaglandin analogue (i.e Misoprostol)?

Though given the frequency of his ulcers, I'd say a full course of H.Pylori treatment would probably be appropriate. Or rather, the fact that he's getting ulcers at all should mean at least a PPI. Antacids are usually used for the short term in peptic ulcers. Maybe antacids in the distant future are super effective?

[/drugsnerd]
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 23:29   Link #318
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

...videogame induced brain-fart.
Old 2013-05-12, 10:21   Link #319
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw97 View Post

Lastly, a couple random points:
-Definitely feeling the Izuru x Kei pairing some more - notice how she was the only one who smiled about Izuru's attempt to fire everybody up with being Team Fail while everyone else ragged on him
-Team Fail will at least be remembered by the boys for giving unexpected Rin-Rin fanservice, with the next episode's title being "Prison of Lust", I can't wait to see how she's invovled
-I'm glad that I can more or less watch all three mecha shows this season since they're all going for different approaches; Valvrave is clearly going for spectacle and audacity, MJP is going for a more oldschool character-driven approach, and at this point I'm not sure Gargantia should even be considered a real mecha series...
-Personaly I find them be interesting, though there is clear implication of Lacus interfering with Izuru in future (which would annoy me even if there were no Kei) I wonder how it will be played...
-Rin is such grateful subject for these
-I love see "normal" teenagers that doesn't have to be slaped or baited by promise of sex prior every battle. That iself makes this my favouite mecha of season ( even if Gargantia is objectively better).
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 10:49   Link #320
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
-I love see "normal" teenagers that doesn't have to be slaped or baited by promise of sex prior every battle. That iself makes this my favouite mecha of season (even if Gargantia is objectively better).
Are you implying that there are a lot of mecha anime pilots/protagonists out there who must be “baited by promise of sex prior every battle”? I personally don’t know many who can fall into that said category, and I’ve seen plenty.

Tags
action, actual mecha action, comedy, mecha, science fiction