AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 9 16.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 24.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 32.08%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 3.77%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 11.32%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 5.66%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.77%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.89%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-05, 17:46   Link #81
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs View Post
Well, all I can say is that that episode was meh. I thought all the stuff between Alicia and Faldio was really, really dumb. I'm ok with there being a love triangle/polygon but they way they are doing AliciaxFaldio just feels really bad.

Also, for any interested here are the names of the various squad members shown in squads 1 and 7 for this episode (they might change later on). Please correct me if I've made any mistakes :

Spoiler for squad members:

Interesting to note that Squad 1 is heavily biased towards shocktroopers and Squad 7 had 3 snipers at it's disposal (thought they didn't show anyone using a sniper rifle). One would think they would have sent one of the snipers with the ambush group, would have saved Alicia from getting shot at.

Squad 1 is a infantry support for Squad 7 is an armored offensive Squad. :P Btw. Faldios Military Rank is Lieutenant and is actually Squad leader of Squad 1.
Old 2009-05-05, 17:46   Link #82
Key Board
Carbon

Right now I must say that Faldio and Alicia have better chemistry

If Alicia is Kana and Faldio is Hosaka lite, than Welkin would be the strange uncle that visits from time to time and no one really cares about

Sad, but true
Old 2009-05-05, 19:00   Link #83
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Episode really didn't change my opinion of the show in general. Hoping with the next one looking to be character driven that might change.

As for this episode...Meh...Terrible pacing of the battle, but atleast it wasn't incredibly short like last time. Couldof done without the blatant reuse of Largo's firing animation no matter how good it was though it atleast fired like a rocket unlike the other weapons...Honestly bolt actions and semi-automatics are not supposed to fire like machine guns.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2009-05-05, 19:10   Link #84
slayer545-sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
Right now I must say that Faldio and Alicia have better chemistry

If Alicia is Kana and Faldio is Hosaka lite, than Welkin would be the strange uncle that visits from time to time and no one really cares about

Sad, but true
Sadly I think that Welkin has still some time. Remember he is aloof thus one of those people who will say one time "Ehhhhh, you like me?" What I mean is he will realize later on due to his slowness.

I cannot remember shock trooper term. Anyone can tell me according to this game what is it. The terms varies from country to country in military definitions is all I know and I am too busy to research this.
Old 2009-05-05, 19:27   Link #85
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Oh god... Alicia is so annoying, everytime she opens her mouth she screams or says something stupid....
Old 2009-05-05, 19:30   Link #86
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleri View Post
Oh god... Alicia is so annoying, everytime she opens her mouth she screams or says something stupid....
And here I was waiting for a comment like this one to come up. Finally, here it is.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-05-05, 20:20   Link #87
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Here is a simple phrase to describe my feelings on this episode: wtf

First off, I dont expect anyone who hasnt played the game to follow me on what I am about to talk about. Its ok, your free to enjoy the anime if you like it, my problems with it dont mean you should have the same problems.

Ok, so, my hope for this series was that it would expand on the perspectives of the conflict between Gallia and the Empire more than the game could. What I am seeing in the last two episodes are the makings of a character driven plot with a bunch of filler extras added in for the sake of having a squad.

In short, it is more narrow than the game. What we saw in the battle this week was basically Alicia & Support. Alicia got hurt. Alicia charged into battle. Alicia was scared. Alicia got annoyed. Alicia was admired by everyone.

The other guys know how to point a weapon in the general direction of their opponents and fire. Thing is, in the game they had their own personalities and uses, in the anime, they are just "there"

I wont pretend that Alicia, Welkin, Isara, Largo, and Rosie shouldnt get the majority of the focus. Its something i expect, but you know, this is a plot driven series, not so character driven.

Next episode it looks like another Welkin and Alicia developement episode featuring make believe love triangles that have nothing to do with the story... and just sigh.

Nott enough all around detph for me i guess. Ill give this show a few weeks before I drop it and just play the game again.

Oh oh, and nobody of note died in this episode. The Empire needs to stop loading their IMMENSE NUMBER MACHINE GUNS AND BASE DEFFENSES, with those rubber bullets when by some miraculous coincidence they happen to be fighting Welkin's squad.

/end crazy rant

Last edited by alu546; 2009-05-05 at 20:34.
Old 2009-05-05, 20:21   Link #88
Solecs

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
Spoiler:
Thanks for pointing that out, I went ahead and corrected it .

I'm more annoyed at Faldio at this point. That whole part where he's talking to Alicia and she's telling him to shut up was inane. I mean they're in the middle of an operation and it's obvious that he's antagonizing her. Then dropping the nut down her back, in most cases that probably would have caused them to be found out after the screaming and moving about, especially that close to the enemy camp.
Old 2009-05-05, 20:50   Link #89
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Well, it seems there is more than meets the eye with Alicia. Also, with regards to the lack of realism with the battle and all.. I suggest we take it how it is and enjoy the ride.

And with Faldio and the reporter next week the romance part should be entertaining.
Old 2009-05-05, 21:04   Link #90
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingva View Post
I haven't played the game.

The opening and the 1st episode immediately shows that we are going to get Alicia and Welkin.
And so far the "triangle" seems is just for ooh's and giggles.
Like I said in my earlier post, it doesn't matter whether you've played the game or not. We're still watching the same show after all.

Now, if you've played the game you'd probably wonder about it more, but this whole love triangle bit was mentioned in an interview with the director, so it's not that far off to think that this gets mentioned in a discussion of the anime.
Old 2009-05-05, 21:20   Link #91
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Well, it seems there is more than meets the eye with Alicia. Also, with regards to the lack of realism with the battle and all.. I suggest we take it how it is and enjoy the ride.

And with Faldio and the reporter next week the romance part should be entertaining.
I wish the series was one where I could just enjoy where it takes me, its just that one of the main points of the franchise is to touch upon the horrors of war. This would be alot more enjoyable if I hadnt touched the game.
Old 2009-05-05, 21:57   Link #92
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I just rewatched the part in the game where they first meet Hans, and there isn't.

Anyway, can't wait for that Jann scene in the next episode. He's to epic to be ignored, so i'm glad we're seeing that in the preview for the next episode.
$80 says that the scenes with Jann and company are really just scenes with Ellet narrating.
Old 2009-05-05, 22:17   Link #93
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by alu546 View Post
I wish the series was one where I could just enjoy where it takes me, its just that one of the main points of the franchise is to touch upon the horrors of war. This would be alot more enjoyable if I hadnt touched the game.
hehe lucky for me I just tend to enjoy whatever I'm watching

I like to think the anime is more about the interactions of the characters, most notably Welkin and Alicia. While the game is well for the action aspect

I don't mind the whole triangle thingy going on, its a nice take on it all.

Alicia expressions are great as usual and I can't beleive I just noticed this but Hans's nose is in the shape of a up-side-down heart
Old 2009-05-06, 04:05   Link #94
kalbron

As an anime episode, this was alright.

As an adaptation of the game it was horrible.

Alicia just gets dumber and dumber and dumber and even more tsun. Not to mention they decided to replicate one of the easier ways to win in the game... which also tends to make things less enjoyable overall. Alicia Rush =/= fun most of the time after all.

They really need to cut Faldio's airtime down to 1/100 of what he's getting and give it to Welkin. Seriously. The story is meant to be primarily about him and Alicia. Not some stalker-like womaniser.

Also:
Spoiler for Game:
Old 2009-05-06, 07:20   Link #95
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Are there really a wigged pig in the game ?
Old 2009-05-06, 07:43   Link #96
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alu546 View Post
It would definitely be better if it had more realism but.. oh well. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
hehe lucky for me I just tend to enjoy whatever I'm watching

I like to think the anime is more about the interactions of the characters, most notably Welkin and Alicia. While the game is well for the action aspect

I don't mind the whole triangle thingy going on, its a nice take on it all.

Alicia expressions are great as usual and I can't beleive I just noticed this but Hans's nose is in the shape of a up-side-down heart
Well said.. well said.
Old 2009-05-06, 08:46   Link #97
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
edy?
no, but she is popular enough she got added a little screen time through a dlc.
Thats Edy? Lets hope for her to get more screentime in the anime
Old 2009-05-06, 09:12   Link #98
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei19 View Post
Hell yeah. And anything with a Faldio is an automatic 10/10 for me. He's more interesting than Welkin will ever be. Welkin should just be a farmer and develop fertilizers.
You're barking up the wrong tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs View Post
Well, all I can say is that the episode was meh. I thought all the stuff between Alicia and Faldio was really, really dumb. I'm ok with there being a love triangle/polygon but the way they are doing AliciaxFaldio just feels really bad.

Also, for any interested, here are the names of the various squad members shown in squads 1 and 7 for this episode (they might change later on). Please correct me if I've made any mistakes :

Spoiler for squad members:

Interesting to note that Squad 1 is heavily biased towards shocktroopers and Squad 7 had 3 snipers at it's disposal (thought they didn't show anyone using a sniper rifle). One would think they would have sent one of the snipers with the ambush group, would have saved Alicia from getting shot at.
Salinas is in fact a Shockie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Are there really a wigged pig in the game ?
Hans is in the game, yes. He wasn't quite so... cutesy.

While the episode was enjoyable, it wasn't amazing. More action was good. Largo wielding a lance was excellent. Rosie's being somewhat flanderized; hopefully we'll see her grow... I'm afraid of the fact that I'm saying that about practically everyone in this anime (save Isara ).

Spoiler for Faldio game/anime differences and dickery:

Clearly I need to treat this as an AU. So far, a worse universe to boot.
Old 2009-05-06, 10:18   Link #99
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei19 View Post
Hell yeah. And anything with a Faldio is an automatic 10/10 for me. He's more interesting than Welkin will ever be. Welkin should just be a farmer and develop fertilizers.
That in itself makes Welkin more interesting to me. He uses what he knows, animals, to make battle strategies that work. Plus, some of the things that he has appeared aloof to has worked in his favor, like General Damon last episode. Meh. . .I've never been a fan of the 'ladies man' side character, anyway.

Interesting episode, despite the cliché 'enemies can't aim for shit' trope.
Old 2009-05-06, 12:58   Link #100
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Hans is in the game, yes. He wasn't quite so... cutesy.
Making Hans that cute has to be a crime, plus they're going to keep adding him into this as much as possible. We didn't even see him in the game after a certain point.