AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-09-28, 17:08   Link #1
auriya

Meine Liebe [Merged: 3]

It's a new anime series due to air in November. As far as I know, it's based on a girls' dating game with character designs by Kaori Yuki (who is known for her lovely gothic shoujo manga like Angel Sanctuary and Count Cain). It's being animated by Beeline, the same company that made Noir and Madlax (neither of which I've seen myself, but I've heard good things about their work). The character designs and art at the official site look very nice, though for some reason there are no female characters. I've heard that Meine Liebe is going to be a shounen-ai anime? And yet in the game that it's based on, the main character is a pink-haired girl, and the story seems to be a shoujo romance? Well, either way, this is one of the fall series that I'm really looking forward. If anyone knows more about this anime, please post here! ^_^
Old 2004-09-28, 19:55   Link #2
Fellini 8.5
Film Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by auriya
It's being animated by Beeline, the same company that made Noir and Madlax (neither of which I've seen myself, but I've heard good things about their work).
Actually, it's "Bee Train"... This is a subsidiary of Production I.G. run by director Koichi Mashimo (who directed Noir, Madlax, .hack//SIGN, and lots of others over the years. Drop everything and watch Noir *NOW*! )

The most info I've gotten so far has been from Kisaragi on the AnimeNation forum:

Here's what he wrote:
Quote:
Ginyu Mokushiroku: Meine Liebe - ANIMAX - Thurs. 22:30 - Bee Train

This series is based on Boys Love/shounen-ai game is targeted at females. I'm surprised to hear Mashimo and Bee Train decided to do bishounen anime for female fans. Mashimo is a veteran director, but as far as I know he has never worked on Boys Love anime before. The setting of the story is a certain European island country surrounded by Atlantic Ocean in 1935, and is a prestigious school where the nation's best and the brightest are enrolled. Needless to say, there are lots of hot beshounen in this boys' boarding school. I'm curious how Mashimo deals with yaoi things.
In an earlier post he mentions that most anime fans over in Japan are pretty much surprised at his choice of a bishounen subject. And though I'm a new fan of Mashimo's myself, I was surprised too. I'm quite fond of his "strong/dangerous/independent leading ladies" style, often with a subtle shoujou-ai overtone, and it seems like this might be the total opposite, maybe even w/o an important female character at all. Though that's only due to what the website leads me to believe. (I can't read it, I've only tried to make sense of the images)

I've found this French page (via Google translation, horribly tiny font) that seems to be an overall description of the various Meine Liebe games/manga/etc. An interesting bit is near the bottom with the character gallery - pics of the game characters compared with the anime characters - I can see the Bee-Train influence very clearly in the anime shots when they're lined up next to the originals like that. But it looks like there should be female characters in the original story (though, again, that doesn't mean they'll be in the anime).

At any rate, the whole bishounen "foofy hair and capes" style really makes me wince, but I am sooo caught up in Mashimo's work that I'm going to follow this one closely. I'll bet $5 that he does something different and unexpected with it. Shining Fansubs (ShiFa) is, so far, the only group interested in subbing it, so I've volunteered to pitch in to make sure it can happen.

Keep your eyes peeled in the beginning of November! And please, if anyone can read Japanese and can translate any parts of the official site...
Old 2004-09-28, 20:03   Link #3
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

It's Bee-Train, Chibi watches, if it has See-saw music, chibi watches twice.
Old 2004-09-28, 21:01   Link #4
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well, the game is about playing a girl trying to date cute boys (and girls too I heard), and get one of the boys (and maybe girls) confess to you... so it's not really a shounen-ai game I guess (though it could be potentially a shoujo-ai one if you choose it to be)

However the anime could be totally different anyway
Old 2004-09-30, 00:28   Link #5
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Not to sound rude or anything, but wasn't there another thread on this already? I think it had me mentioning the german translation of the name and some other related info. *shrug* Can't remember for certain anymore. hehe. But I just thought I'd mention it.
Old 2004-09-30, 02:50   Link #6
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I thought it was in the "upcoming series that rocks" thread or something?
Old 2004-09-30, 07:34   Link #7
wao
OK.

OMFGQ! Fanservice for girls!!!!

Sorry. I'm not really a yaoi dude but I *LOVE* the main site (even though it's a monster to load), and I have a penchant for foofy capes and that sort of thing The character designs look awesome! ANd there's TAKAHIRO SAKURAI!! (though even thoguh KKM had Takahiro Sakurai I didn't watch it. pthoo, Deen!) And BeeTrain and Mashimo and everything... haha, I'm going to watch this for the fangirl factor at least :P I'm no different from guys who like fanservice, eh?

The site lists the voices as such:
Orpherus - Takahiro Sakurai
Eduard - Tomokazu Seki
Ludwig - Toshihiko Seki
Camus - Souichirou Hoshi
Naoji - Akira Ishida
Sir Isaac - Takehito Koyasu

I see these names soooo often I have long stopped the need to check the kanji up. /me drools

Camus seems really girly...

Series composition by Akemi Omode, who was oneo f the people who did the script for Gundam Wing, screenplay for .hack//SIGN, script for Gravitation.

Script also by AKemi Omode, and Kawasaki Hiroyuki who did Script for Season 2 of Ranma 1/2, Script for Sakura Wars TV, Script for Gravi OVAs, Series composition for Sakura Wars OVAs, Script for some eps of SDK and Samurai Pizza Cats, Goddanar Script/Series Story editor, Silent Mobius Screenplay and Script for the OVA...

Original character design by Kaori Yuki as you guys know...

Character design (usually means in charge of animation overall too, I think) by Minako Shiba, Character Design for .hack//SIGN, Madlax, Noir and Animation for Uninhabited Planet Survive.

Lalalalala. Wonder who'll do the music.
Old 2004-09-30, 12:23   Link #8
auriya

Quote:
Actually, it's "Bee Train"...
Oops, my mistake! Thanks for correcting me. ^^;

Quote:
Not to sound rude or anything, but wasn't there another thread on this already? I think it had me mentioning the german translation of the name and some other related info. *shrug* Can't remember for certain anymore. hehe. But I just thought I'd mention it.
It was part of the really huge thread that discussed upcoming series in general. Meine Liebe was mentioned there, but as far as I know there hasn't been a specific thread just about this show.

Quote:
I'm going to watch this for the fangirl factor at least
I feel the same way. ^_^ After all, it seems only fair that after a year full of bishoujo/hentai-games-turned-anime, here at last comes a bishounen-game-turned-anime.

I love the character designs, but these characters don't look like highschool students at all. They look like fairy tale princes or something, which makes sense in a game that is basically about a girl choosing her "Prince Charming" but seems rather out of place in the vaguely Victorian-era setting. I'm half-expecting swordfights and castles and white horses.

And I hope the plot will be decent. Obviously, they're not going to stick to the game plot, which is a relief because the game doesn't seem to have much plot. I have my fingers crossed that this will be actually good, and I won't be watching it just for the cute guys.
Old 2004-09-30, 12:25   Link #9
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
I thought it was in the "upcoming series that rocks" thread or something?
hehe. That's entirely possible.
Old 2004-09-30, 15:58   Link #10
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

Hehe, anyone have any information no who's doing the music? This would be a god-like anime to me if it was See-Saw. Favorite studio, Bee-Train...with boy love...and my favorite group/composer, See-Saw (Yuki <3)...wow. Never thought I'd see the day. I'll be blogging this, so those of you who don't watch it should read my summaries! (see siggie)
Old 2004-09-30, 17:05   Link #11
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

What would really be interesting would be to watch this anime with both the english subtitles and the german subtitles. Especially the german ones since it's based off a german game. The end result would be neat I think. But that's just my opinion.
Old 2004-09-30, 17:43   Link #12
Entropy
Flame warrior

Who would have thought Bee-train of all studios would do a Bishounen anime?That's like some dev house making a good Warh...ono wait
Old 2004-09-30, 17:49   Link #13
MartAnimE
willingness to die

I'm really curious about this anime! The characters look like utena's bishounen because of those suits and capes don't you think?
I would watch this anyway, since it's from Bee-Train and I've been following all their previous works with entusiasm If it's shounen-ai even bether! I haven't seen many good shounen-ai series but, coming from Bee-Train, I hope it will be good! The problem with shounen-ai series in general is that they seem to lack in terms of subtility
Like, for example on gravitation
Spoiler:

Anyway, it's also good to see some fanservice for girls, for a change
Old 2004-10-01, 04:16   Link #14
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Mein Gott. A yaoi anime from Bee Train! The guys will be so mysterious that defeats the story. Mark my words.
Old 2004-10-01, 09:13   Link #15
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2
Mein Gott. A yaoi anime from Bee Train! The guys will be so mysterious that defeats the story. Mark my words.
I really hope so subtle shounen-ai from Bee-Train YAY
Old 2004-10-01, 14:31   Link #16
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellini 8.5
Here's what he wrote:
Quote:
The setting of the story is a certain European island country surrounded by Atlantic Ocean in 1935, and is a prestigious school where the nation's best and the brightest are enrolled. Needless to say, there are lots of hot beshounen in this boys' boarding school.
Hmm... now why my first thought was that this is going to be male version of Maria-sama ga Miteru...
Anyway, I'm looking forward for this series.

Uh-oh, a lot of series to watch... when do I find time to sleep?
Old 2004-10-01, 23:28   Link #17
Fellini 8.5
Film Snob

Here's my predictions of what we can expect from Meine Liebe:

By episode 4 we'll know all the principle characters' eye colors due to all the extreme close-ups.

There'll be a lot of long pauses with faint grunting noises as the primary conveyance of surprised reaction to events on-screen.

Many a sentence will go unfinished, yet...

It'll be really difficult to draw a parallel with Noir, but maybe not so much so with Avenger.

I kid. I've become such a sucker for Mashimo's work that I'm actually renting Sorcerer Hunters. Ay carumba!
Old 2004-10-02, 02:56   Link #18
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Originally Posted by Fellini 8.5
Here's what he wrote:
Quote:
The setting of the story is a certain European island country surrounded by Atlantic Ocean in 1935, and is a prestigious school where the nation's best and the brightest are enrolled. Needless to say, there are lots of hot beshounen in this boys' boarding school.
-----------------------------------

Sounds like the illustrious, cranky, stiff but brave England.
Old 2004-10-02, 10:33   Link #19
Pandora
Poisoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2
Sounds like the illustrious, cranky, stiff but brave England.
Actually, it resembles Germany (I know it's not an island country) more because of the characters' last names. And of course, the title "Meine Liebe" is German.
Old 2004-10-02, 17:47   Link #20
FlyByNite

Is Camus wearing garter belts?

The only time I see male characters wearing garter belts are in drag (like Rocky Horror Picture Show)
Closed Thread