AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-13, 12:20   Link #1161
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
Blood =/= Maturity. Sure, HxH is a gruesome manga. On occasion, it's even been censored in print (largely during the Chimera Ant arc, though some scenes in Greed Island are as well). But that isn't what makes the series good.
Yes...sure, I tottaly said that, thanks for actually reading what I wrote. I won't even bother answering.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 12:51   Link #1162
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
Actually, there was a news report before the series aired stating that they're really pushing merchandising for this series.

http://www.itochu.co.jp/en/news/2012/120124.html

They're trying to make this series a hit, so they're treating it with utmost care. It's not only one of the best selling manga series in Japan, but also one of the most critically acclaimed.
My response was to the claim that Hunter X Hunter was being censored so it can be sold to International markets (most likely the US, although perhaps Europe too) Hence when I said the next big thing I meant in comparison to things like DBZ & Pokemon which became big international hits. Except the anime boom has really died internationally especially in English speaking countries (I read this is not necessarily the case in mainland Europe & other parts of Asia)

Saying Mad House wants to make it the next big thing in Japan is something entirely different & I was not arguing against that. But you can be a big thing in Japan without solely targeting children.
Old 2012-05-13, 13:02   Link #1163
ookamigirl

Killua sure got a rare thing, tickets for Hisoka's fight!
Competition scouting was a good idea too.
That Killua is a really smart boy.
Hisoka vs Kastro! A beginning of an awesome and intense fight.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 13:58   Link #1164
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I confess I really don't understand the importance folks place on seeing real blood in anime. Isn't the way the scene is written more important than whether we see the actual gore? It's not like we don't know exactly what just happened.
Eh, a bit. In the manga he actually chews on a flab of loose skin of his own arm, which reinforces just how batshit insane he is. I'll agree that the actual blood doesn't matter, but the way they censored it just screams "obvious censorship." Using camera angles or shades, or even just a lack of leaking blood would have looked better than the sparkles. Sometimes leaving things away (in this case, just the blood) works better than outright changing them. The sparkles reinforce the censorship, which causes people to pay more attention to them.

In short, for me it's not the censorship itself that matters, it's the antiquated way of doing it. Shining blood went out of style years ago.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 14:19   Link #1165
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditn View Post
I have always been thinking the same,is blood that important that it ruins the show?
Very weird.

if i remember correctly the fights was skipped in the 1999 anime.
Stop trying to compare both and just enjoy the anime..
What fights? You mean this fight? Your memory is way off.. It definitely wasn't skipped but I can't remember it being pretty gory either .. Still, an obvious censorship like this with sparkles is just outright retarded.
Old 2012-05-13, 14:19   Link #1166
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Eh, a bit. In the manga he actually chews on a flab of loose skin of his own arm, which reinforces just how batshit insane he is. I'll agree that the actual blood doesn't matter, but the way they censored it just screams "obvious censorship." Using camera angles or shades, or even just a lack of leaking blood would have looked better than the sparkles. Sometimes leaving things away (in this case, just the blood) works better than outright changing them. The sparkles reinforce the censorship, which causes people to pay more attention to them.

In short, for me it's not the censorship itself that matters, it's the antiquated way of doing it. Shining blood went out of style years ago.
Is it preferable to cut the scene out altogether, as the 1999 version did? Honestly, for me this is a mountain out of a molehill. I don't expect graphic gore in a morning timeslot in the first place, and even if I did, I'd much rather have the beautifully-written and animated (and acted) episode we got with the graphic bits toned down than an uncensored piece of mediocrity.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 14:20   Link #1167
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Quote:
Was that a frosty mug of beer Gon was enjoying with his 11 chickens?
That's what i thought as well.

Props to Gon for not watching the match on tv either. Kastro definitely is interesting. Wonder if Wing knew what he was doing before Hisoka figured it out. For some reason i feel like Hisoka will just reattach his arm and it will be fine. Wonder how Hisoka will respond now after he figured it out.
Old 2012-05-13, 14:21   Link #1168
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
That's what i thought as well.

Props to Gon for not watching the match on tv either. Kastro definitely is interesting. Wonder if Wing knew what he was doing before Hisoka figured it out. For some reason i feel like Hisoka will just reattach his arm and it will be fine. Wonder how Hisoka will respond now after he figured it out.
He could have switched over to the Man City-QPR match. What a finish.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 15:45   Link #1169
ditn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
What fights? You mean this fight? Your memory is way off.. It definitely wasn't skipped but I can't remember it being pretty gory either .. Still, an obvious censorship like this with sparkles is just outright retarded.
Maybe i should have said it different what i meant was that the later part was greatly skipped.

Spoiler for spoiler for next episode:
ditn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 15:54   Link #1170
leokiko

At least we will get to see Machi next episode
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 16:04   Link #1171
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Is it preferable to cut the scene out altogether, as the 1999 version did?
Oh, definitely. That does not, however, mean I have to like this version of the censorship.

Again, that they censored it is not the issue for me. That they chose such an antiquated "obvious censorship here" method is what's bothering me. With an anime of these kinds of production values (or even without, really), there are better ways to censor such things than replacing the blood with sparkles.
Old 2012-05-13, 16:15   Link #1172
Salce

But they weren't "random sparkles" like the flowers in episode 3.

This was a fight with nen, and there were sparkles of Kastro's green nen in the air, so it didn't feel weird to have more of those sparkles in the severed arm.

I didn't felt it like an "obvious censorship". It wasn't specially creative, but it felt right.
Salce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 16:22   Link #1173
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
I still can't get used to the new way they depict ten in this version though. It looks like a layer of shrink-wrap and it's rather bland and neutral, rather than being colored as a person's aura.
Ten IS basically a layer of shrink-wrap though. As for the aura and colors thing, if you ask me I'm not sure whether aura is even supposed to have any color.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 16:36   Link #1174
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Ten IS basically a layer of shrink-wrap though. As for the aura and colors thing, if you ask me I'm not sure whether aura is even supposed to have any color.
If it is, then everyone should be colorblind.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 16:42   Link #1175
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salce View Post
But they weren't "random sparkles" like the flowers in episode 3.

This was a fight with nen, and there were sparkles of Kastro's green nen in the air, so it didn't feel weird to have more of those sparkles in the severed arm.

I didn't felt it like an "obvious censorship". It wasn't specially creative, but it felt right.
If they were remnants of Kastro's nen though, they'd be green, not yellow.

Quote:
I know, but despite the animation being more impressive (the subtle movements in the ten even when the character is standing still) it's faded outside/stronger outline way of animating makes feel like less of an aura.

And aura having a color... well, no, it's never actually vocally confirmed as having it, no. And manga being black and white does little to be a visual aid here. But still, it's something I liked in the 1999 series. It gave characters a bit of uniqueness in their nen. Part of their appearance, so to speak, like eye or hair color.

I know, I know, most of this is nostalgia clouding things and all (well, except for the sparky blood censorship, since the 1999 version doesn't even have that scene so I'm completely justified in my complaints there ), but it just doesn't... feel right.
Old 2012-05-13, 16:58   Link #1176
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I dunno, Ten is this subtle thing, the user limiting the aura only to the surface of their body, so it looking subtle is only natural. It's when Ren comes in that it's supposed to start looking impressive.

Btw, I like how the current version of aura has this smoke-like thing about it. Rather than the hard-colored battle auras of the 1999 series.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 17:07   Link #1177
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
I dunno, Ten is this subtle thing, the user limiting the aura only to the surface of their body, so it looking subtle is only natural. It's when Ren comes in that it's supposed to start looking impressive.
That's just the thing though, the hard outline doesn't look subtle. If they'd done it the other way around (outline close to the body, fade along the edges) it'd look a lot more subtle.
Old 2012-05-13, 17:07   Link #1178
VnsFurs

Quote:
And aura having a color... well, no, it's never actually vocally confirmed as having it, no. And manga being black and white does little to be a visual aid here. But still, it's something I liked in the 1999 series. It gave characters a bit of uniqueness in their nen. Part of their appearance, so to speak, like eye or hair color.
I believe the end of the new ED has confirmed that there will be colors for the auras of the characters.
Gido's tops were yellow after all, so I doubt they're taking out the colors.
VnsFurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 18:18   Link #1179
Salce

Quote:
Originally Posted by VnsFurs View Post
I believe the end of the new ED has confirmed that there will be colors for the auras of the characters.
Gido's tops were yellow after all, so I doubt they're taking out the colors.
And Kastro's attacks had green nen.
Also Hisoka's nen when he uses his hatsu is pink in the opening (pretty clever choice).

But I still don't get the pattern...
Seems like it's something like this:
Ten: white
Zetsu: black/grey
Ren: dark purple
Hatsu: depends of the user
Salce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 21:15   Link #1180
Squire James

My basic thought is that at some point Hisoka chuckles and says something like, "Your double is not an illusion. This missing arm of mine, on the other hand, is!"
Squire James is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen