AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-05, 15:26   Link #41
Fuze

I'm a huge fan of Touch (manga and anime) and have checked out Adachi's other works such as H2 and Hiatari Ryouko, but I have to admit that I've never actually read Cross Game.

With that said, my initial thought of the first episode is that Cross Game's formula and setup is more than familiar, but as always, it works. The animation is really nice. The music is even better. And as mentioned already, I loved the way the ending song complimented the event towards the end.

I'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere but any info on how many episodes are planned? I'll definitely try to follow this until the end, that's for sure.
Fuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 20:34   Link #42
BiFr0st

Im a huge Adachi Fan myself and i hope like "touch", they would go all the way through to the end unlike h2.. or i would be really mad -__- but i am really glad that they stepped up the animation a bit.
BiFr0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 06:05   Link #43
wontaek

Ever since the H2 debacle, I was very afraid for Cross Game, but I guess they did an acceptable job for the first episode. They still need to work more on how they can convey the inner feelings without words and without wasting too much time.
Old 2009-04-06, 20:19   Link #44
nihon
夢見たい
*Fansubber

I really liked the first episode. I liked it so much, I translated the whole thing.
nihon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 20:39   Link #45
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihon View Post
I really liked the first episode. I liked it so much, I translated the whole thing.
I hope we get the share the fruits of your labor soon.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 00:41   Link #46
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Don't look now, but the happy moment has come.

I see Miyu-Miyu got another lead role in this one. He's a busy bee this season.
Old 2009-04-07, 10:33   Link #47
Molenir

Glad to see CrossGame. Been a fan of the story for awhile now. Though its so slow to develop. Still is a good story.

I would have liked to have seen more of the Aoba/Wakaba dynamic. From the manga I remember Wakaba talking about about Ko-chan with her sister, and saying something like how he would be perfect for her, if only he didn't belong to her.
Molenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 11:02   Link #48
leongsh
Daijoubu!

There's the possibility that the Volume 1 contents that were skipped over in Episode 1 may show up as flashbacks during the course of the series.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 11:07   Link #49
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
There's the possibility that the Volume 1 contents that were skipped over in Episode 1 may show up as flashbacks during the course of the series.
I think so, there is a lot of flashbacks in the manga, so they might include that information on them. That scene with Wakaba is very important. It is one of the things that is always sticking in Aoba thoughts and keep her for being honest with herself about Kou.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 12:46   Link #50
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
I think so, there is a lot of flashbacks in the manga, so they might include that information on them. That scene with Wakaba is very important. It is one of the things that is always sticking in Aoba thoughts and keep her for being honest with herself about Kou.
They also need to include the 2nd game, against the team of "little 4th graders." It's the inspiration for so much of what follows.

I'm worried that the anime will somehow diminish Aoba's role, not just as Kou's foil, but as a ballplayer. Aoba is the heart, soul, and center of gravity of Cross Game. It would be a shame if the animation team fails to bring that to the screen.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 19:10   Link #51
nihon
夢見たい
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I hope we get the share the fruits of your labor soon.
Yes, you will. Should be any day now.
nihon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 20:24   Link #52
Kirarakim

I just watched the first episode of this having no idea what to expect and being blissfully unspoiled. Wow is all I can say. I am not sure how the rest of the series will go but that was some introductory episode.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 20:31   Link #53
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I did tear up at the end. Not expecting it, at all - even more with the girl's prominence in the OP. That was some powerful first episode, and I'm hooked on this. Gotta get the manga, now.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 20:41   Link #54
bramabull4316

well all i can say is that the manga gets better and hopefully they will stick close to the manga which they did in the first episode for the most part. I really enjoyed the first ep. and the end part was just like the manga they didn't change almost nothing but they did miss somethings earlier in the ep. like what has being said in earlier posts, which hopefully they will bring in coming episodes with flashbacks cause they are very relevant to the story.
bramabull4316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 22:50   Link #55
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I did tear up at the end. Not expecting it, at all - even more with the girl's prominence in the OP. That was some powerful first episode, and I'm hooked on this. Gotta get the manga, now.
I don't blame anyone for tearing up. I knew what was coming and I still felt my eyes a littly misty when I watched it animated.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 23:02   Link #56
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
it's because no one watches sports anime, at least no one in the english-speaking world.
I played sports in High School and paid portion of my college tuition playing sports, so the anime representation of sports just feel too silly. I know that's the reason for me why I don't follow sports anime for the most part. That said, I've really enjoyed the baseball anime Ookiku Furikabutte which highlighted some of the strategies used to play the game. The serene portrayal mixed with the above-average overall animation effort also helped me enjoy the anime.

That's not the case for a lot of the sports show. I've found stories to be either overly melo dramatic, or the sports aspect of the story too ridiculous to follow.

Quote:
most likely more people will watch this than any of the other shows this season, but there will about three people talking about it in english
As long as we can count on you as well to talk about it, we will have 4 people.

Saw the first episode and I know with certainty that I'll be following this. Slice of life setting with balanced human drama. Probably that's why the final moment was so powerful. I don't cry in anime, but boy it was so hard not to. It was heart wrenching and shocking. When the announcer in the TV was saying it casually, it took a second to sink in about what transpired. I agree with all of you who thought the episode was brilliant. I don't know how this series will try to top the first episode because it has already set the standard so high for itself. Giving the episode a 9 out of 10 aka excellent rating.

I will stick with this show for the romance factor alone.

P.S. I'll be strictly enforcing all manga spoilers, even under spoiler tags, that reveals future event in this thread. Any manga discussion needs to go in the corresponding Cross Game manga thread.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 23:42   Link #57
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spoiler for Ep 1:
Old 2009-04-08, 00:58   Link #58
ZODDGUTS

Since I'm a manga reader gotta say thought that they did a good job I do think they could have waited till ep 2 to do the plot twist that happens in the end of vol 1. But can't blame them they did it in ep 1 so that they would be able to hook the viewers. My only worry is some parts of vol 1 weren't shown in ep 1 and there quite important for two certain characters. Though those scenes can be shown in flashbacks and hopefully they will.

There's a chance of this series being 52 episodes since the animation company doing this series has done several 52 ep anime series. There's two places where season one can end but since I can't talk about it because it's a manga spoiler even in spoiler tags oh well.

Anyways I gotta say the animation was great and the music was good as well.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 01:59   Link #59
hai_san

Well comparing with the manga they omitted some things which are very important in my opinion

[manga spoiler removed.]

Regardless the anime was very good.

Edit: After watching the preview the things i mentioned above will be shown in the next ep.

Last edited by monir; 2009-04-08 at 02:12.
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 02:24   Link #60
Lucipher

Ok this sucks for me cuz outside of Hayate so far this season this is only anime that i like but its a sports anime so im guessing its going to be subbed very slow even though this anime seems a lot better then anything else this season great first eps
Lucipher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports