tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-04, 19:11   Link #482
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna
Is TW Toriyama'sWorld?
Why don't you just take a look at http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/496.html and click on TW to find out?

You are capable of answering such a simple question on your own, if you have your own brain.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-04, 19:12   Link #483
tuna

Aye, I forgot I had one of those.
tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-04, 20:18   Link #484
Testing321

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna
Aye, I forgot I had one of those.
Damn, lost mine last week...
I guess I'll have to go find a new one :fingers:
Testing321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-04, 22:04   Link #485
outlaw97

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
It's not either. The Japanese word is "shinigami" and it refers to a spirit that guides the dead to the next world. The word "shinigami" is also used in a lot of anime to refer to a lot of things are spooky and kill. It's like a cross between the grim reaper and Charon. Both groups are trying to invent a definition since there really isn't a good way to say it in English.

As for which fansub is best, I prefer Lunar's sub because I think that their use of colloqial English fits the shows tone best, but Keep's version is also excellent and sometimes has much more exacting translation. Choose whichever one you prefer, but avoid IY4Ever since they lack in translation, editing and picture quality. I'm afraid I never got around to reviewing the Naisho&TW version, but I hear that they did an excellent job.
I agree with the preference for the Lunar version - while AKeep may be more technically correct, I find Lunar's efforts to make the dialogue sound more...natural, for lack of a better term, to be refreshing. Although I hear this method has had mixed results, such as in Samurai 7, the way they make Ichigo talk is exactly how I imagined it - kudos to the editor.

However, with as much prevalence Shinigami have had in anime, I think it'd be safe to assume that the majority of viewers know what a Shinigami is - and even ifthey don't, the show makes it a point to explain what Sihnigami do anyway (in the context of the show of course). I would've preferred them to just keep the name, and supply a translator's note instead. Then again, there are one or two people I know who think of Duo Maxwell from Gundam Wing whenever they hear the word "Shinigami".....
outlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 00:27   Link #486
seiftis
~defying fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nO:1 ff FAN
Just seen episode 9
Can someone tell me where the anime is up to the manga at the moment?
I'm from the UK and just found out that through amazon.co.uk I can buy the english version mangas of Bleach so far they have the first 4 volumes released.
I think the anime is awesome but I want to read the manga as well..
Seems like ep.8 and ep.9 covered most of Volume 3 of the manga. Vol.4 would be about.. Don Kanonji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw97
And is it just me, or do I find it odd to have Orihime speaking such profound lines like the one about the rain, earth, and sky? It was a line of narration in the manga, and I'm glad they put it in the anime, but it just seems funny to hear Orihime saying it. Then again, she's probably a zen-like genius hiding underneath that busty, ditzy exterior!
If I remember correctly in the manga, she's one of the top student in her grade after the Quincy.
Edit: Here it is--
Spoiler:

Last edited by seiftis; 2004-12-05 at 04:08. Reason: posting the pic..
seiftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 02:29   Link #487
PiggyCanHack

Send a message via AIM to PiggyCanHack Send a message via MSN to PiggyCanHack
anyone know where to get the opening OST yet?
PiggyCanHack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 04:08   Link #488
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
This wasn't such a great episode for me, I was definitely expecting Ichigo to pull off some unexplainable immense power out burst or something, but ah well I guess he's just gonna have to learn some new skills the hard way after all.
Well, it's better that way, this ain't DBZ or Yu Yu Hakisho.

A little realisum nerver hurt nobody.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw97
Then again, there are one or two people I know who think of Duo Maxwell from Gundam Wing whenever they hear the word "Shinigami".....
Yeah, he called him self the "god of death" somewhere along the line, didn't he?

Last edited by Conan-san; 2004-12-05 at 04:24.
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 05:18   Link #489
Crimsonmon

Send a message via AIM to Crimsonmon Send a message via MSN to Crimsonmon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierysky
Spoiler for Manga:
Spoiler:
Crimsonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 14:00   Link #490
gummi
Chi~~

That is a good point... the only ones I can remember right offhand are Ichigo and Kon. I've been watching Grenadier lately and I can't remember the girls name because of that major distraction that seems to be there the whole episode. O.o

From watching the available 8 episodes of Bleach, I have enjoyed all the aspects of the anime so far. I read very little of the manga, so I can't make a comparison there. I just don't like the comparison some people have made to Bleach as being like Naruto.
gummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 14:13   Link #491
Reticia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonmon
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-12-05, 16:18   Link #492
gvozden
Waterproofed Legion

Well there is word for conductor of souls in English dictionary but how many people will guess what is about.

psychopomp

A leader or guide of souls .

Origin: Gr.; the soul + to send: cf. F. Psychopompe.

Source: Websters Dictionary

\Psy"cho*pomp\, n. [Gr. ?; psychh` the soul + ? to send: cf. F. psychopompe.] (Myth.) A leader or guide of souls . --J. Fiske.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

psychopomp

n : a conductor of souls to the afterworld; "Hermes was their psychopomp"

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University
gvozden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 11:16   Link #493
Ninja FOO

Thats a good point, I also found myself white knuckled a few times waiting for him to rage and blow up a whole block or something heh. But then again, if he did something like that in every show, I think it would lose its luster. Its a great show, one of the better ones Ive seen, and all I can say is WOO!

X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
This wasn't such a great episode for me, I was definitely expecting Ichigo to pull off some unexplainable immense power out burst or something, but ah well I guess he's just gonna have to learn some new skills the hard way after all.
Ninja FOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 21:01   Link #494
rukus

O_o

Bump for the love of bleach..

Where are you guys getting your english translated Bleach Mangas? (((

hook it up on where you can "Buy" Them

Last edited by rukus; 2004-12-07 at 21:15.
rukus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 21:10   Link #495
Marine-RX179

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukus
O_o

Bump for the love of bleach..

Where are you guys getting your english translated Bleach Mangas? (((

hook it up.. (hopes its not liscensed and is going to catch a forum ban)
The English version of the manga is already out up to Vol.04 I think.....so yea, it's licensed alright.
Marine-RX179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-11, 22:04   Link #496
Bullsquat
Strange Love

I've already read the first volume of bleach, and now I've seen all nine episodes of the anime but it's recently that I've found Rukia to be so dreamy.

I dunno what it is but her personality is hypnotizing me. The anime did really well to make her look mysterious, upfront yet cute and a little sensitive at the same time. She's just perfect. I found me my new favorite anime character for the season. ...and here I thought she was a guy the first time I saw her!

Last edited by Bullsquat; 2004-12-12 at 16:37.
Bullsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-11, 22:43   Link #497
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Rukia in Interesting to say the least, and clearly a difficult character to portray properly. Also thought she was a guy [well, more stick figure with big head ] on the first go, until she started drawing those funny pictures . But as it goes along, we see this extra militant tomboy put on many masks and sometimes lets us hava a peek at the turmoil underneath.

Still think she's a rather wierd entity with a hard, thorny exterior and an acid tongue, then she shows us she's also a girl who wants to cry sometimes.

Methinks all the Bleach girls are strong [even extra large Orihime ], just that the series is infested by tomboys that the more feminine ones get overshadowed ...
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 15:13   Link #498
Ero-Sannin

Send a message via MSN to Ero-Sannin
looool look at all those deleted posts, hah they deserve i...t... HEY THAT IS MY POST IN THERE TOO!!!

anyway isn't bleach aired every tuesday, i mean i may be pissing those poor hardworking fansubbers off, but i feel something is missing with no new episode of bleach to download on animesuki, its like a long good realationship that has suddenly broken up, ok i will shut up now on this topic...

my other thing to say is dont u wish bleach is gonna be one of those looooooong series, like naruto, one piece, or even as long as THE

D to the B of the Z
Ero-Sannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-13, 15:48   Link #499
Ebichuman
Ebichu Transform!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Sannin
my other thing to say is dont u wish bleach is gonna be one of those looooooong series, like naruto, one piece, or even as long as THE

D to the B of the Z

Nah, to make it DBZ long they'd have to make filler. I don't want to watch Ichigo and a hollow stare at each other or make constipated noises for 70% of the episode, lol
Old 2004-12-13, 18:30   Link #500
STfan
Homicidal Kitty.

Location: In Arcueid's arms, getting my blood drained by the neck. Or at least I wish.
It doesn't air every Tuesday?

How often does it air, then? I was beginning to wonder if the fansubbers quit subtitling anime due to the scare from that stupid MFI incident.

(And YES, I KNOW THAT MFI HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BLEACH. Thank you very much.)

Last edited by STfan; 2004-12-13 at 18:43.
STfan is offline   Reply With Quote