Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-12-12, 12:15   Link #21
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagann_Horizon View Post
Looking for more suggustions. Really enjoyed FMA and FMA:B. Tokyo Ghoul was supprisingly very good and reminded me a lot of Deadman Wonderland. Currently watching Kuroshitjusi season 2 and so far I am loving the series. Plan on watching Boogiepop Phantom afterwards, but I may watch Jigoku Shoujo. I am open to any other suggustions. Thank you all for the ones you have given so far, and thanks in advance for the rest!
So basically you're interested in action/adventure anime? I would have to second Madoka Magica if you haven't watched it already. Don't let the looks fool you; it is very dark.

I also recommend:

Summer Wars
Spoiler for trailer:

Ghost in a Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Spoiler for side story of a side character:

Kara no Kyoukai
Spoiler for trailer:

Katanagatari
Spoiler for trailer:

Darker than Black
Spoiler for fight scene:
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-12, 12:51   Link #22
Lagann_Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
So basically you're interested in action/adventure anime?
Basically yes, but I do tend to like a darker theme in the anime. Supernatural/Occult type stuff or some kind of ever looming threat.
Old 2014-12-12, 23:22   Link #23
Mr Sir

Phantom requiem for the phantom
Terror in resonance
I think you'll like these
Mr Sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-13, 08:35   Link #24
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The best supernatural show I have ever watched is a set of short two-four episode arcs about an Edo period medicine seller who also slays demons. It began as the three-episode closing arc to Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales called "Bake Neko." It was such a hit that a twelve-episode sequel was made called Mononoke. The first has been available on DVD for years, but Mononoke was only licensed and released this year after lying fallow for seven years. At $9 and $14 respectively, they constitute two of the great bargains in anime:

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/cat...em/73880/4/0/0
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/cat...m/102173/4/0/0

I'm a bit surprised Moribito didn't make your final cut, so I'll suggest it again. There also a show called Kemono no Sou-ja Erin based on a novel by the same author as Moribito. It has a bit younger style than Moribito, but the story is dark and complex with a terrific young heroine. It streams at Crunchyroll as simply "Erin," but the fansubbed version has a better translation.

I don't know whether Hyouge Mono might be something you'd like. It retells the story of Japan's unification during the Sengoku Period through the eyes of one of Oda Nobunaga's vassals. There are dark political intrigues, some battles, and a powerful obsession with the masterpieces of art used in tea ceremonies. The story as told takes considerable liberties with the facts surrounding Nobunaga's assassination, which explains the constant reminder at the beginning of each episode that "this is a work of fiction!" Hyouge Mono also has one of the best closing songs I've ever heard, the samba-flavored "Kizuna." This show is only available in fansubs.

Your wife might have problems with the pervasive nudity in Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to lu Onna. If it helps, you can reassure her that the anime was written and directed by women! Fujiko was a side character in the famous Lupin series that began in the 1960s; here she gets a show of her own. Okada Mari's script turns pretty Gothic toward the end. Funimation's player presents the English version, but you can get it to show the subtitled version by clicking in the right places.

You might also give Ghost Hound a try. It's a melange of neuroscience, psychiatry, and the supernatural by the creator of Ghost in the Shell. The characters are young, but the story is reasonably mature.

Another mature option with young characters is Kurenai, where a 16-yo boy becomes the caretaker for a 7-yo kidnapped heiress from a family with a dark secret.

Finally I'll recommend Shinsekai Yori, an excellent dark adventure set in a dystopic future where some people have telekinetic powers. It won our Choice Award for Best Series of 2013. This one should be right up your alley.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2014-12-13 at 08:58.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-14, 16:27   Link #25
Lagann_Horizon

Alright. Currently watching Moribito. Seems good so far. Currently on episode 5.
Old 2014-12-20, 06:29   Link #26
typo
Happy as you are

Try tatami galaxy.
It's a slice of life anime with drama added in.
It's also very funny and entertaining.
Perfect for couples. Well, it depends you guys are the action anime lovers, then I'd probably not recommend you that anime.
typo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 15:39   Link #27
cleo

As a lover of the series, you'll want to put Kuroshitsuji 3: Book of Circus on your list. It's a lot darker than the earlier seasons, with a very gripping overarching plot.

And to stay with vampires, you might like Hellsing Ultimate. Make sure you watch the OVA series (10 episodes) as it has an overarching story. There is also a Hellsing tv series, but the OVA's are much better.

Something very different is Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor. It's about a loser who ends up in the world of gambling against his will. You might need to get used to the animation, as it's not 'pretty'. But it's worth it, as it gets dark real quick and has high tension.
cleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-22, 00:04   Link #28
Lagann_Horizon

Wow Moribito was really good. I can't believe I passed on it for this long. Thanks for pushing me to watch that! Now watching Kurokami. Four episodes in and it is good so far. Book of Circus is defenently on the list, also I believe I will be watching Madoka (everyone is suggesting it lol) and Darker than Black.

Last edited by Lagann_Horizon; 2014-12-22 at 00:16.
Lagann_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-22, 20:19   Link #29
cleo

Madoka really is a great series. Every ep raises questions, while revealing bits and pieces, and yet you're never prepared for what's about to come. In fact, I think all the recs in this thread are excellent. (my only reservation is Terror in resonance, it could've been so much better IMO).

Some more suggestions:
Gankutsuou: the count of Monte Christo with a twist

Shiki: a mystery vampire story
Old 2014-12-25, 13:20   Link #30
Maui

you like the same stuff as I do so I will say this:

Zetsuen no tempest. But stop after 1st season and you have an amazing ride.

1st season I rate 9.9/10. really awesome stuff.

season 2 I rate 1/10. Really jaw dropping terrible stuff.

But it is possible to just stop after 1st season, there is closure (kinda) and it's worth it.

Also like the poster above mentioned Shiki, that one is good and I would consider that if I were you.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-26, 03:03   Link #31
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Please check out Speed Grapher. It is gory and mature.
bbduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-28, 23:45   Link #32
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmm... still no love for Madoka or Jojo huh? Well they both take several episodes to really get going.

I was also going to suggest that Katanagatari might be interesting for you. Or even Bakemonogatari, which isn't really an action show, but rather more like a Japanese Twilight Zone. (That's how I felt it came across anyway).

Hellsing is an obvious pick if you want some dark action. Nazis. Nazi vampires!

Might even go with the classic:
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Perhaps a post-apocalyptic sci-fi? Space Battleship Yamato

If you want to try a genre that is completely the opposite (romantic comedy) but is known to leave grown men in tears, you can try Clannad and Clannad: After Story.

The last two thirds of After Story is when the crying starts, but it's definitely a masterpiece.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-29, 08:57   Link #33
Lagann_Horizon

Watching Kurokami currently. 16ep in and it's pretty good, could be better though. Next is Book of Circus, then my wife will pic (I have no idea what she is going to pick), then I will be watching Madoka. It has be sugested enough I think it's time to watch it. As happy as I was with finally watching Moribito (after months of people suggusting it lol), I expect Madoka will be better than the impression I get when watching the previews. Thank you all, and I will be asking for more suggustions so keep them coming!
Old 2015-01-04, 16:48   Link #34
Lagann_Horizon

Book of Circus was great! Watched 11 episodes of Parasyte and love it! Tried 2 episodes of Madoka.... not feeling it... kinda dull and too er... happy(?) for us. About to try Darker than Black. Thanks again! Always looking for more!
Old 2015-01-04, 17:46   Link #35
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Tried 2 episodes of Madoka.... not feeling it... kinda dull and too er... happy(?) for us.
I really really really really really recommend watching the third episode...

I also recommend Shingeki no Bahamut
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-05, 01:16   Link #36
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Book of Circus was great! Watched 11 episodes of Parasyte and love it! Tried 2 episodes of Madoka.... not feeling it... kinda dull and too er... happy(?) for us. About to try Darker than Black. Thanks again! Always looking for more!
Only two episodes? Watch one more.

Be sure careful not to lose your head.

Mwhuuuahahha!

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-08, 17:44   Link #37
Lagann_Horizon

Darker than Black was great! Hope the season 3 rumors are true... Only 2 episodes of Madoka left and I have to say, it's not really my cup of tea... Yes it has had some very good (and VERY dark) moments, but Madoka just cries and cries and cries. One episode it was raining and my wife made the comment that those were Madoka's tears lol. It is not my least favorite anime (that will always be .hack//Sign) but it's just above it. We will finish it today and move on to something else tomorrow (gotta watch Parasyte and Tokyo Ghoul √A today too). My wife and I will shuffle through some more suggestions and pick a new series to start tomorrow. Thanks, and as always more suggestions are always welcome.
Old 2015-01-08, 18:37   Link #38
cleo

Oh that's right, you're watching ongoing series now as well. In that case, give Death Billiards a try. It's only 1 OVA, but it will be followed up by a series this season called Death Parade. I have high hopes for that.

Sorry you're not a fan of Madoka. I thought it rather funny she didn't turn into a magical girl and kept hesitating, as that went against my expectations.
You've been given great suggestions in this thread, so it's getting harder to come up with new things.
Maybe Basilisk about 2 ninja clans out to kill each other, so yeah, lots of people dying.
Or Btooom, a survival death game.
Old 2015-02-15, 12:23   Link #39
simpleyuji

i second "Hunter X Hunter". I find the series quite addictive. When people usually ask me what my favorite anime is, that pops into my mind, although I also like others such as AoT
simpleyuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-15, 15:17   Link #40
Lagann_Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleyuji View Post
i second "Hunter X Hunter". I find the series quite addictive. When people usually ask me what my favorite anime is, that pops into my mind, although I also like others such as AoT
You are the second person today to recommend that to me. I may check it out soon. Currently watching Akame ga Kill, then we will be watching Kill la Kill.