AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 44 40.74%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 33.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 12.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 9.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.85%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.85%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-22, 11:07   Link #161
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Even then, I don't know how 'deep' you can even get with Eva characters when most of them fit the descriptor of a few words. Oedipus complex, father-complex, you name it. I think you're mistaking the seriousness that is portrayed as inherently serious and more mature when they are not necessarily the requirement for the other.
Actually I was thinking more in the lines of three forms of Kierkegaard's fear conception that Anno clearly aimed at (he even named one episode following Kierkegaard's 'Sickness onto Death'). The characters have rather modern i
interpretations of philosophy, psychology and some of Baudrillard's sociology character conceptions (at that time it was still new mind you). The characters are much more than just few psychological descriptions that you just named. Thats why it is hard to surpass Evangelion characters as they have many layers - psychological is only one of them (not all characters of course but the main ones).

Now, don't get me wrong I too think that JC Staff no matter how i dislike this studio is doing a pretty good job so far, even if I dislike their pacing. You can always watch ZnT to see what bad work of JC Staff means. Toradora is not that. But I would like them being more consistent about the changes they make.
Old 2008-11-22, 15:41   Link #162
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Blergh... I was really rather unhappy with Paradym's translation this time. Time to re-review translation efforts...
Old 2008-11-22, 15:51   Link #163
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Perhaps you should wait for qq, Vex? I think qq is the best of bunch.
Old 2008-11-22, 16:00   Link #164
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Only if they don't "rub a dub dub" -- "itadakimasu" yeah, they're on the review list.
Old 2008-11-22, 16:14   Link #165
Molenir

Yeah, that Rub a dub dub was what sent me looking for a different group.
Old 2008-11-22, 16:23   Link #166
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
lol, 'rub a dub dub" That is just TOO FUNNY! Oh god, where do they come up with this stuff ?
Old 2008-11-22, 16:48   Link #167
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Apparently out of their ass ... labeled parodies are fine and certain liberties that further the spirit of the comment (aka, "no... f***ing... way!") are tolerable, but when you start inserting things "that were never there" ... well, my interest in their work plummeted.

On qq: what is the size resolution and format of their releases (h264? softsub?)? Do they plan on backfilling eps 1-4?
edit: edit -- -never mind, figured it out on my own..... only questions is will he rerelease eps 1-4 under the "qq" brand (with fixes).

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-11-22 at 17:07.
Old 2008-11-22, 18:18   Link #168
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I know I've seen that translation of "itadakimasu" before... either in a dub or in some cheap fansub.
Old 2008-11-22, 20:02   Link #169
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Blergh... I was really rather unhappy with Paradym's translation this time. Time to re-review translation efforts...
Yeah. They mistranslated "vale tudo" as "anything" when it's actually means "a combat where everything is allowed":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vale_tudo
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Old 2008-11-22, 20:29   Link #170
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!

Jaws: The Revenge of Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddwkc View Post
Damn, I lol'd hard at this scene:

Spoiler for Minori Class Survival Tactic:

Minori is full of win!
I just laugh at this LOL....

Spoiler for Taiga... Jaws theme:

Last edited by KeitaroNagato; 2008-11-22 at 20:52.
Old 2008-11-22, 20:37   Link #171
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir View Post
Yeah, that Rub a dub dub was what sent me looking for a different group.
As long as I don't see anymore of that, I'm fine with it. I'm basically closing one eye.
Old 2008-11-22, 23:56   Link #172
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

I'm not sure if anyone noted this, but the music played at the start of Taiga's training (05:50 onwards) sounds like it's based on the Chariots of Fire theme tune by Vangelis.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Old 2008-11-22, 23:59   Link #173
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
I'm not sure if anyone noted this, but the music played at the start of Taiga's training (05:50 onwards) sounds like it's based on the Chariots of Fire theme tune by Vangelis.
Yep, I was thinking the same thing, it did sound pretty close--although it would have been awesome if they'd been able to use the actual music. I wonder if Chariots of Fire did well in Japan...
Old 2008-11-23, 00:08   Link #174
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye, the music riff and the scene design all evoked "chariots of fire" training... the only thing it lacked was "slow motion"
Old 2008-11-23, 05:36   Link #175
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru View Post
Yep, I was thinking the same thing, it did sound pretty close--although it would have been awesome if they'd been able to use the actual music. I wonder if Chariots of Fire did well in Japan...
Hehe. I noted that a few pages back. Between this and others like it (the Flash Gordon theme music remix in Macademi WAsshoi for example), there's quite a few movie-theme soundalikes in anime recently.

As for Vale Tudo.... they didn't need to translate that. It'd be like translating Karate as 'Empty Hand".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Actually I was thinking more in the lines of three forms of Kierkegaard's fear conception that Anno clearly aimed at (he even named one episode following Kierkegaard's 'Sickness onto Death'). The characters have rather modern i
interpretations of philosophy, psychology and some of Baudrillard's sociology character conceptions (at that time it was still new mind you). The characters are much more than just few psychological descriptions that you just named. Thats why it is hard to surpass Evangelion characters as they have many layers - psychological is only one of them (not all characters of course but the main ones).
Yeah, all that is quite true actually. The only thing that gets me with Anno is how he plainly bashes anything that doesn't have quite the aim of something like Evangelion. Modern shows like Xam'd, Ghost in the Shell, Mushishi and others do put more of a focus on characters with many layers of inspiration and psychology, but I think it's a bit silly to put it under only one microscope when so many anime go for different things. In that sense, I don't think a direct comparison of Gurren and Eva really works. Like how you can't exactly compare Macross to Gundam. Their entire aim of the storytelling is different in the end, even if they may be thematically similar (ROBOTS).

Quote:
Now, don't get me wrong I too think that JC Staff no matter how i dislike this studio is doing a pretty good job so far, even if I dislike their pacing. You can always watch ZnT to see what bad work of JC Staff means. Toradora is not that. But I would like them being more consistent about the changes they make.
At the very least, hopefully they won't totally drop the ball when the essential scenes happen. Which could seemingly happen any time with JC Staff. My optimism for this show isn't exactly unfettered.
Old 2008-11-23, 06:20   Link #176
Liddo-kun
is this so?

It seems Taiga has already realized that she likes Ryuuji, but it's too bad Ryuuji still likes Minori.

I'm surprised a little, it's just episode 8 but the drama is already on a high level.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2008-11-23 at 06:30.
Old 2008-11-23, 06:27   Link #177
BigJimmy
Burn ya git!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru View Post
They should've used this music

As to the whole Gurran vs Eva thing, I always found Eva to be a bit too depressing for my tastes. It's like the anime version of a Cure album! Sure, it's deep and complex and all that jazz, but at the end of the day it's message seemed to be "You're screwed, so's everyone else, nothing you do matters, time to break out the razor blades!" I suppose it didn't help that End of Evangelion was a big "Up yours!" from ol' Anno.
Old 2008-11-23, 07:48   Link #178
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
BigJimmy, nah I like the original music better.

As for Evangelion I actually found that the meaning is not to be depressing but to be hopeful of a new start, no matter how sick or revolting it may look like. It is the mix of hope and tragedy that made Evangelion ending very beautiful and touching. And the fictnal message I got "As long as you believe in your Self you can always exist, no matter what the odds are. You just have to accept that it is no dream world and you will be hurt and you will be lonely but this is the core of being human and this is what makes humans so ugly and yet so beautiful." I found the End of Evangelion to be a pure beauty.
Old 2008-11-23, 09:01   Link #179
KeitaroNagato
Taiga Yea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
It seems Taiga has already realized that she likes Ryuuji, but it's too bad Ryuuji still likes Minori.

I'm surprised a little, it's just episode 8 but the drama is already on a high level.

At the end, even at Sudohbucks (I love that Sudohbucks, imitation of Starbucks ^^ ), Taiga telling Ami she is going because its her duty to make sure her dog (Ryuuji) don't be messing around. At this point, Ryuuji finally understand Taiga more then most people, because what she says it not what she means, and I guess Taiga realized Ryuuji is understanding her better, when she gave a "look of approval" to him before everyone else went off to give a date for the summer Villa at the chiguagua place

It seem now Taiga is also happy that Ryuuji is finally getting to know her. I wonder how the next episode is gonna play out ^^
Old 2008-11-23, 09:21   Link #180
satuross

actually that smile is

----->Taiga looked coldly down towards Ryuuji as she did to the rest of the world, her rosy lips which had turned people's lives upside down smiled evilly.
Closed Thread