Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-19, 09:27   Link #1
someguyouknow
eh?

Looking for a depressing anime

Looking for something extremely sad/depressing.

Something with a nerd/geek/loser type guy who cant catch a break or something similar.

Thanks for any responses. You all have been great!
Old 2007-09-19, 09:39   Link #2
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

"Depressing" and "anime" being in the same sentence always brings Grave of the Fireflies to my mind. Nothing comes close to how depressing that movie is. However it's not about a loser type char not catching a break, so probably not what you're looking for.

A lot of harem series feature loser types, though they do tend to get their 'break' and end up surrounded by girls... can't really think of any series off the top of my head that don't result in a reasonably happy ending. Though that depends on how you view things. Some series I have really hated the endings of, but not because they're bad, rather... simply because it's not what I wanted to happen (Chrno Crusade and Fate/Stay Night come to mind, without getting in to spoilerish detail) but I'm going off on a tangent.

I suppose it depends whether you just want something that starts out with a 'loser' type guy (many harem series particularly) but ends differently, or if you want a depressing ending. Regardless...

NHK no Youkoso would be a start, if you're after a series about a 'loser' type. I wouldn't say it's depressing, exactly, but it should make some people think and evaluate their lifestyles.

Speed Grapher was a bit of a depressing series. Not about a loser though, but it was rather dark overall. I haven't watched it since it ended, so can't remember specifics, but I did find it on the depressing side.

Going back a few years, Mugen no Ryvius (aka Infinite Ryvius) may be up your alley. The main char in it is a loser-ish type, and the overall story is very... well, out there. Bunch of kids thrown in to a crazy situation, resulting in them doing crazy stuff.

I can't really think of any others that may fit the bill in more than a remote way, so I'll leave it at that for now, may post more when I wake up and think about it.
Old 2007-09-19, 10:59   Link #3
Kyomi
What do I know?

Hmm.. I don't know about loser type either, but Saikano would be one depressing anime if you ask me, it only gets worst as it goes on.
Old 2007-09-19, 11:20   Link #4
Cheezy
brrr

Send a message via MSN to Cheezy
This thread cannot be ended without mentioning Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.
Old 2007-09-19, 11:41   Link #5
Reno

Send a message via MSN to Reno
Elfen Lied. Most depressing thing ever!!!! (Though not about a loser).
Old 2007-09-19, 12:30   Link #6
someguyouknow
eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asai View Post
"Depressing" and "anime" being in the same sentence always brings Grave of the Fireflies to my mind. Nothing comes close to how depressing that movie is. However it's not about a loser type char not catching a break, so probably not what you're looking for.

A lot of harem series feature loser types, though they do tend to get their 'break' and end up surrounded by girls... can't really think of any series off the top of my head that don't result in a reasonably happy ending. Though that depends on how you view things. Some series I have really hated the endings of, but not because they're bad, rather... simply because it's not what I wanted to happen (Chrno Crusade and Fate/Stay Night come to mind, without getting in to spoilerish detail) but I'm going off on a tangent.

I suppose it depends whether you just want something that starts out with a 'loser' type guy (many harem series particularly) but ends differently, or if you want a depressing ending. Regardless...

NHK no Youkoso would be a start, if you're after a series about a 'loser' type. I wouldn't say it's depressing, exactly, but it should make some people think and evaluate their lifestyles.

Speed Grapher was a bit of a depressing series. Not about a loser though, but it was rather dark overall. I haven't watched it since it ended, so can't remember specifics, but I did find it on the depressing side.

Going back a few years, Mugen no Ryvius (aka Infinite Ryvius) may be up your alley. The main char in it is a loser-ish type, and the overall story is very... well, out there. Bunch of kids thrown in to a crazy situation, resulting in them doing crazy stuff.

I can't really think of any others that may fit the bill in more than a remote way, so I'll leave it at that for now, may post more when I wake up and think about it.
Thanks! I will try Mugen no Ryvius. Odd situations sounds like something i would enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyomi View Post
Hmm.. I don't know about loser type either, but Saikano would be one depressing anime if you ask me, it only gets worst as it goes on.
I think I "grabbed" that a while ago but never checked it out. I will have to find it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezy View Post
This thread cannot be ended without mentioning Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.
haha Then i must watch. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno View Post
Elfen Lied. Most depressing thing ever!!!! (Though not about a loser).
I have seen it and there are definately some depressing moments in there. Thanks for the suggestion anyways!
Old 2007-09-19, 21:26   Link #7
tyc00

Holy cow. Saikano was hellish to watch. I'm not into sad depressing slap in your face reality anime's so when I picked up and watched Saikano(don't ask why) the outcome was jut plain ugly. I was pretty down for atleast a whole week. You want a deep depressing anime, watch Saikano. Though I don't know why you want to subject yourself to such torture...
Old 2007-09-19, 21:44   Link #8
retardation
phantom loser

grave of the fireflies, son, grave of the fireflies.
Old 2007-09-19, 21:52   Link #9
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Yeah I'm just going to post to second some stuff....

SaiKano is indeed a reality slap in the face. Before I watched the anime, I knew that war was bad but I never really know what it could be like. SaiKano takes you through the physical and emotional distress that war causes while exploring a science fiction plot on how it affected a couple's life and many others.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is a must watch if you're into depressing things, although overall it's not relaly depressing, but just sad, if that makes any sense. SaiKano was the one that made me feel down for days, but KimiNozo invokes pity and anger more than depression.

Grave of the Fireflies pretty much fits your criteria the most. There's no geek/loser in here but the main character indeed doesn't catch a break and this one also explores the sufferings of war.

Elfen Lied isn't at all depressing but there are many sad episodes and sad childhood stories from each of the characters. I personally find Mayu's story one of the saddest story I've heard, because it's realistic and could possibly happen to someone right now.
Old 2007-09-19, 21:53   Link #10
Leedizzle

Isn't most anime that involve a guy/girl that likes a girl/guy, but can't get with her because of various reasons depressing? I mean in School Rumble the entire love deal between Harima and Tenma is depressing.
Old 2007-09-19, 22:09   Link #11
jedinat

Watching Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is like repeatedly stabbing yourself in the chest. I don't know if you'd call that depressing; it's overall a very painful and unrewarding experience

Texhnolyze - Oh god... watch this one if you want depressing, it is made of depressing. For some reason I kept watching it, always thinking it was going to get better, and well, it doesn't. lol.
Old 2007-09-19, 22:15   Link #12
starry_sky45
Cherry Blossom~

Send a message via AIM to starry_sky45 Send a message via MSN to starry_sky45
Neon Genesis Evangelion was a pretty depressing anime.
Old 2007-09-20, 02:15   Link #13
schiffer
Born Insain
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to schiffer
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
Elfen Lied
Old 2007-09-20, 03:25   Link #14
mana.
girl who loves anime!

Neon Genesis Evangelion is the only really sad anime I can think of where the guy is kind of a loser type.

You should also watch the first 6 episodes of Major
semi spoiler but not really, just putting it to be safe so someone won't freak out
Spoiler:
Old 2007-09-20, 11:37   Link #15
someguyouknow
eh?

Looks like Saikano is a must watch. I will check it out. Thanks!

I will check out some of the other suggestions as well. Thanks again!
Old 2007-09-20, 18:08   Link #16
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
Rahxephon had some really sad/depressing moments. Although it ends sort of happily. Its a good show (mecha/drama, if youre into that).... you should check it out.
Old 2007-09-21, 04:06   Link #17
capture
Saber's Husband XD

Send a message via Yahoo to capture
Just here to second Saikano, EL and of course Grave of the Fireflies...

also adding Air TV bec. IMO, it's also depressing