AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-19, 23:15   Link #1
someguyouknow
eh?

Looking for something extremely disturbing...

Something like Higurashi no Naku Koro or Lain or something...
Something dark, violent gruesome... OR something that will throw you for a loop.
Something only sick humans could love haha...

I know i ask for a lot of suggestions...i apologize.

And always, thanks for the input.
Old 2007-05-19, 23:29   Link #2
jedinat

Devilman OVAs (1, 2, 3) - the first two are necessary build-up for the What the F***?! factor of the third OVA.
Cossette no Shouzou - strange and dark
Texhnolyze - very dark and depressing
Devilman Lady - dark and violent, gets really weird towards the end
Narutaru - from what I hear it starts out deceptively innocent and gets extremely dark and twisted later on. I haven't watched it for the same reason I never finished Higurashi
Old 2007-05-19, 23:35   Link #3
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
copy-paste from another thread:
MPD Psycho - action, detective mystery, psychological f*ck up
Gunslinger Girl - drama, action, moral issues
Blue Heaven - along the same lines as MPD though less intense. The oneshot at the end of vol.3 is sweet and sane though, unlike the rest the 3 volumes.

Quote:
Narutaru - from what I hear it starts out deceptively innocent and gets extremely dark and twisted later on. I haven't watched it for the same reason I never finished Higurashi
Yeah. And they didn't even bother to change the cute intro theme of Narutaru which kinda makes the shock factor more ironic towards the end.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
Old 2007-05-19, 23:41   Link #4
crystar
*yawns*

Adding to what has been said...

Elfen Lied
Gantz
Berserk

And for recent anime, there's Bokurano.
Old 2007-05-19, 23:48   Link #5
Frans

I would like to add Paranoia Agent and Boogiepop Phantom.
You could try Kemonozume, although with the art style it is kinda hit and miss.
I think Kemonozume is the more disturbing one compared to my other suggestion.
Old 2007-05-20, 00:09   Link #6
Jubei_Asaemon

I would definitely add the Hellsing OVAs to the list. I am a fan of cartoon gore/violence, but the third episode freaked me out, something I did not think possible.
Old 2007-05-20, 00:18   Link #7
gencbiba

Hmm.. I recently found out about this title, and the concept was pretty sick to me.

Speed Grapher

It's basically about this photographer who is asked to cover a secret club which only very few people can join. Anyways, let's just say that he should have kept his nose out of this one because there are some sick stuff going on in that club.

Captain Tsubasa and Dai no Daibouken are being translated!! Check us out at http://www.hiei-tf.fr/frenchies-subs/. Stop on by and show us some love at the forums.
Old 2007-05-20, 02:25   Link #8
Korean_boi
BBOY

Send a message via AIM to Korean_boi
watch bokura ga ita. not a dark, evil, gothic type of anime. rather plain drama, romance school-life type. but the way the story goes, the story line, plot, characters, intuitions, motives, emotions. this one is creeping the hell out of me. i dont know what im feeling right now, but im pretty depressed because of it. im just telling it from experience. im almost done with the series, i dont know what happens are the end, but i cant wait to get this anime out of my head and onto another one.

yes it's that disturbing.

i think you'd want to check out the suggestion gencbiba made above. speed grapher. i read the description of it. the gyst of the story creeps me out. all these images running rampant in my head. that's why im never too good with depressing, disturbing anime. >_>

i'll stick with love hina

enjoy
Old 2007-05-20, 05:19   Link #9
raffy06

I would recommend Ergo Proxy for something that is seriously contemplative aka throw you for a loop.

The series is strongly noirish, with its plot set in a dystopic world. And if you are a cyberpunk fan, I am of the impression that you would love it. Every little detail is carefully drawn. Even the landscape looks impressively sad for often the scenes are set in places where the characters become another little dot on the expansive landscapes. Desolation is thoroughly emphasised. In this instance, dialogue comes to the fore. The seiyuu pulls this off spectacularly, especially in a favourite sequence of mine - when Re-l and Co. were stranded in the middle of nowhere.

On a more serious note, if you miss out the references to Derrida and Lacan, then perhaps the plot will take a more trivial turn for you. But if you have an understanding of the Lacanian subject, subjectivity, selfhood etcetera, you would come to appreciate the subtext of Ergo Proxy more.

Cheerios.

On second thoughts, if you are looking for a "slice-of-life" anime that comes sickeningly close to real life, check out N.H.K. ni Youkoso! Another one of my favourites.

Edit: Oh yes, I almost forgot to ask. Sorry to hijack this thread too.

Is Speed Grapher that disturbing? I'm always on the lookout for intellectual/dystopic/cyberpunkish anime. In a sense, political anime. And if Speed and Bokura fall under those categories, I'm going to put it on my Must Watch list!
Old 2007-05-20, 06:35   Link #10
retardation
phantom loser

bokura ga ita definitely doesn't.

it's good for a romance series but it's not some kind of brain screwing work...

if i recall, fist of the north star, ninja scroll film and vampire hunter d bloodlust were all pretty violent.
Old 2007-05-20, 08:09   Link #11
miaka

current series...
Bokura no
darker than black
Old 2007-05-20, 16:13   Link #12
someguyouknow
eh?

Thanks much people. My ISP isnt going to enjoy this but i will.
Old 2007-05-20, 19:07   Link #13
Korean_boi
BBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by retardation View Post
bokura ga ita definitely doesn't.

it's good for a romance series but it's not some kind of brain screwing work...

if i recall, fist of the north star, ninja scroll film and vampire hunter d bloodlust were all pretty violent.
well, you and i obviously have different tastes! no need to put my view down, simply disagree.

anywayz, im starting to watch these kind of anime series too

fun in its own way, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth >_>

Last edited by Korean_boi; 2007-05-20 at 19:58.
Old 2007-05-20, 20:37   Link #14
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Not very similar to what you mention in your example series, still, it is disturbing series: Neon Genesis Evangelion.

And, I can suggest a manga series of similar nature if you are interested in also reading manga. Although I haven't started reading it, I have heard lots of disturbing stories about it. Probably, something you will enjoy. The name of the series is Shamo (you can also check Battle Royale).
Old 2007-05-20, 20:46   Link #15
retardation
phantom loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korean_boi View Post
well, you and i obviously have different tastes! no need to put my view down, simply disagree.

anywayz, im starting to watch these kind of anime series too

fun in its own way, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth >_>
sorry dude. i didn't intend to put down your view. i just had a disagreeing opinion and felt like it needed to be said.
Old 2007-05-20, 21:17   Link #16
Korean_boi
BBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
Not very similar to what you mention in your example series, still, it is disturbing series: Neon Genesis Evangelion.

And, I can suggest a manga series of similar nature if you are interested in also reading manga. Although I haven't started reading it, I have heard lots of disturbing stories about it. Probably, something you will enjoy. The name of the series is Shamo (you can also check Battle Royale).

i second thins series... i hope this doesnt spoil anything... but as u go further into it... it gets pretty sick, especially the ending.
Old 2007-05-21, 11:10   Link #17
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyouknow View Post
Something dark, violent gruesome... OR something that will throw you for a loop.
One series that struck me that way was Now and Then, Here and There. It seems at first like it might be a typical "young boy meets mysterious girl and goes on an adventure" type of story. However, it quickly gets very dark and violent. I found it very disturbing at times, probably in large part becuase of the young age of most of the characters. It's 13 episodes and out and licenced in the US.

Another one that might fit your catagory is Bokurano. This is another series that seems to start off innocently enough, with a group of school mates who must use a mysterious mecha to protect the world from invasion. It's definetly not your typical kids "giant robo" anime, though. It quickly gets very dark, too. It's still airing in Japan, and the fansubs are up to episode 4 right now.

Hope that helps!
Old 2007-05-23, 17:57   Link #18
Lawfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Cossette no Shouzou - strange and dark
Was that never released outside Japan?

Edit: Nevermind I found it.
Old 2007-05-24, 09:29   Link #19
Vulkurt

Send a message via AIM to Vulkurt
Koi Kaze was a bit on the creepy side.
Old 2007-05-24, 11:17   Link #20
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulkurt View Post
Koi Kaze was a bit on the creepy side.
Err, defying cultural norms in expressing one's feelings isn't that disturbing. I actually find it cute in an unusual way.

Just so that this post isn't off-topic, you could check out some of the titles by Omanga. A good number of them are rather disturbing. MPD Psycho, Leviathan, Anne Freaks, GANTZ, Freesia, Jisatsu Circle, Alive, etc. Although some of them are licensed now, the list alone should be helpful enough in identifying titles to watch out for.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>
Closed Thread