AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2013-01-29, 16:31   Link #2141
Kudryavka

Hanyu is the spirit of the woman who gave her life at an earlier Watanagashi festival right? So why does she choose to be with Rika? I guess she appears as a child to match Rika's body's age, but Rika is mentally very old now, so why not age herself older?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 17:40   Link #2142
Seronei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Hanyu is the spirit of the woman who gave her life at an earlier Watanagashi festival right? So why does she choose to be with Rika? I guess she appears as a child to match Rika's body's age, but Rika is mentally very old now, so why not age herself older?
Might actually make Rika upset because she also wants to grow older. Rika is also the only one she can interact with, everyone else can't see or hear her. (with some exceptions to level 5 people.) I don't really think Hanyuu looks that young though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirba View Post
I believe that has indeed been asked before, but I'll try to answer it.

First, take a look at this rubbish diagram I just drew:

(Click for larger image.)

The way I see it, Himatsubushi takes place before any of the other arcs (from Rika's point of view), when Rika still had the ability to travel back to the time when Akasaka visited Hinamizawa for the first time. In that scenario, Rika was not able to get Akasaka to return to Tokyo. However, in another scenario, Akasaka does return to Tokyo. This is the last time Rika goes back that far, and so the fact that Akasaka returns to Tokyo 'sticks'. In other words, Akasaka will always return to Tokyo in all future scenarios. All the other arcs branch off this scenario.
In the anime he doesn't return to Tokyo to save his wife in Tsumihoroboshi, that might be just because of the anime needed to add more stuff to the arc though.

Last edited by Seronei; 2013-01-29 at 17:54.
Seronei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 17:41   Link #2143
TheGuraGuraMan

Because adult Hanyu is too hot for being shown everytime.
TheGuraGuraMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 19:55   Link #2144
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seronei View Post
In the anime he doesn't return to Tokyo to save his wife in Tsumihoroboshi, that might be just because of the anime needed to add more stuff to the arc though.
Hmmm, admittedly I've forgotten a lot of the details, but it could be that Tsumihoroboshi took place in the "no" branch, but before Himatsubushi (from Rika's point of view). In other words, Rika would have experienced Tsumihoroboshi, Himatsubushi, and then the rest of the arcs.

Alternatively, maybe that TIP does not even take place in the Tsumihoroboshi branch.
Old 2013-01-29, 20:05   Link #2145
Seronei

Quote:
Hmmm, admittedly I've forgotten a lot of the details, but it could be that Tsumihoroboshi took place in the "no" branch, but before Himatsubushi (from Rika's point of view). In other words, Rika would have experienced Tsumihoroboshi, Himatsubushi, and then the rest of the arcs.

Alternatively, maybe that TIP does not even take place in the Tsumihoroboshi branch.
Tsumihoroboshi shouldn't really be chronologically before Onisarashi though, considering Keiichi remembered stuff from that world.
The tip might not take place in the tsumihoroboshi but iirc the TIP mentions Rena surviving while it's implied that in the previous worlds where Rena got level 5 the kidnapping ended with the school exploding. EDIT: actually it might just end with Rena dying in which case it could be a different world. (might be misremembering things here, it's been a while. In fact I'll go read the tip)

Last edited by Seronei; 2013-01-29 at 20:20.
Old 2013-01-29, 21:44   Link #2146
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Hanyuu stays with Rika because Hanyuu is the ancestor of the Furude family. She fell in love with Furude Riku and they had a daughter, Furude Ouka (who if physically identical to Rika, go figures). In fact, it was Ouka who performed the Watanagashi on her own mother

Dunno why she appears as a child, but have a look at adult!Hanyuu (aka, Hainiryuun Ieasomuuru Jieda) from Kizuna:
GabrieliosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-29, 22:58   Link #2147
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrieliosP View Post
Hanyuu stays with Rika because Hanyuu is the ancestor of the Furude family. She fell in love with Furude Riku and they had a daughter, Furude Ouka (who if physically identical to Rika, go figures). In fact, it was Ouka who performed the Watanagashi on her own mother

Dunno why she appears as a child, but have a look at adult!Hanyuu (aka, Hainiryuun Ieasomuuru Jieda) from Kizuna:
Wow, thanks for that in depth answer!!

And I didn't know Hanyuu's own daughter did Watanagashi on her own mother... oh goodness.
Old 2013-01-29, 23:44   Link #2148
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

Even more in-depth info that I forgot to mention (well, more like trivia):

The "scar" in Hanyu's horn? It was Ouka during the Watanagashi cerimony. And it was Riku who gave Hanyuu her nickname, because he couldn't say Hainiryuun Ieasomuuru Jieda, he shortened it to Hanyuu and the nickname stuck.
Old 2013-01-30, 08:26   Link #2149
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrieliosP View Post
Even more in-depth info that I forgot to mention (well, more like trivia):

The "scar" in Hanyu's horn? It was Ouka during the Watanagashi cerimony. And it was Riku who gave Hanyuu her nickname, because he couldn't say Hainiryuun Ieasomuuru Jieda, he shortened it to Hanyuu and the nickname stuck.
Wow, thank you again!
Old 2013-01-31, 04:59   Link #2150
Draugur

@Yirba: Thanks very much for your explanation. If you look at it this way, it seems to work. I just hadn't thought Rika could also change the following scenarios by doing something important in a single arc like Himatsubushi.
Draugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 06:51   Link #2151
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draugur View Post
@Yirba: Thanks very much for your explanation. If you look at it this way, it seems to work. I just hadn't thought Rika could also change the following scenarios by doing something important in a single arc like Himatsubushi.
Yes, the story makes you think that they're jumping between fragments, trying to find the perfect one. And whilst that's technically true, it's basically a fancy way of saying they're time-travelling. Even if Rika travels back to the beginning of June, the actions that took place before that cannot be changed.
Old 2013-01-31, 08:38   Link #2152
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
In Minagoroshi-hen, a number of things retroactively; Rena had told her dad how she felt about Rina, Shion was going to school in Hinamizawa and was on good terms with Satoko, and so on. Why couldn't "Akasaka went back to Tokyo in 1978" be changed like that?
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 10:27   Link #2153
maximilianjenus
[E]

Quote:
Yes, the story makes you think that they're jumping between fragments, trying to find the perfect one. And whilst that's technically true, it's basically a fancy way of saying they're time-travelling. Even if Rika travels back to the beginning of June, the actions that took place before that cannot be changed.
yeah no, it's not a time travel, it has been made a point that they are travelling between parallel worlds, which is a different concept as events previous to the jump point can and do change; akasaka is an easy example because sometimes his wife and kid die, other times they don't, you could argue that rika's actions prior to her meeting akasaka change that but her "time jumps" eventually become just a few days in as opossed toa few years.

Another example would be the (as named in the anime) rei arcs.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 11:24   Link #2154
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

There are several ways of interpreting the situation. But you're right, they are jumping between parallel worlds. However, to get to those parallel worlds, they must travel back in time.

Let's put it this way: The Watanagashi Festival always takes place on 19th June 1983. It never takes place on any other date. So, in Onikakushi-hen, Rika continues living until 19th June. However, everyone dies and she must travel to a different kakera. If she simply jumped to Watanagashi-hen at that point, it would have already been past 19th June, and so everyone would already be dead, which is really no good for Rika. Therefore, she must travel back in time to the start of June, and enter the kakera at that point.

To be perfectly honest, there simply isn't enough detail to be sure of how Rika's jumping between kakera actually works. However, the world of Higurashi seems to conform to the many-worlds interpretation. In which case, all branches must converge at some point in the past. You could say that every single branch can be traced back to a single tree trunk, which would be the beginning of time itself. Everything that ever happens simply branches out from that.
Old 2013-02-01, 08:19   Link #2155
Seronei

Was reading Minagoroshi yesterday before going to bed and realized that when Rika, Takano and Tomitake it was mentioned that the Saiguden has no windows, but read Saikoroshi and it has windows that Rika sneaks in from...
Old 2013-02-01, 09:00   Link #2156
TheGuraGuraMan

In Tatarigoroshi too, with Satoko sneaking in.
TheGuraGuraMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 09:46   Link #2157
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuraGuraMan View Post
In Tatarigoroshi too, with Satoko sneaking in.
Satoko sneaking in was in the past, right? In which case…
There were previously windows, but they were removed to stop people from sneaking in like Satoko did.
Old 2013-02-01, 10:10   Link #2158
maximilianjenus
[E]

yep, it soudns logical that in universes before the saikoroshi, due to rika breaking the oyashiro statue the windows get removed so that does not happen again; on the other hand in saikoroshi rika never breaks the statue, so even if she breaks in there is no reason to remove the windows.

Quote:
To be perfectly honest, there simply isn't enough detail to be sure of how Rika's jumping between kakera actually works. However, the world of Higurashi seems to conform to the many-worlds interpretation. In which case, all branches must converge at some point in the past. You could say that every single branch can be traced back to a single tree trunk, which would be the beginning of time itself. Everything that ever happens simply branches out from that.
Agreed
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-01, 17:32   Link #2159
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

From what I remember (I think it was from the anime), Satoko was in the top of a tree and entered it through a small window near the top of the Saiguden. It needs some way to keep the air circulating, and a small window near the top where no one could reach easily would be perfect for the case.
Old 2013-02-02, 01:57   Link #2160
battle22

My question was ignored......