AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-18, 16:20   Link #141
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
I think "corps" (that's how you spell it, I think, not "core") is what's intended by "kor". As in Army Air Corps, etc.
Well, I think you can spell it both ways, it's that you get two different words in the process - "core" and "corps". Since there is a war going on in this series, "corps" does seem the better option but we can't be sure, alas.

Quote:
They wear things on their legs that show the patterns they make, so they can train for Ri Maajon.
So does that mean that the Simouns are plioted like mecchas i.e. the machine repeating the movements of the pilot's body? It certainly didn't seem that way in the first episode.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 16:41   Link #142
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I just discovered a nice promo video on the official site with little statements from all the main seiyuu about the show and their characters, including Mamiko Noto, Takahashi Mikako, Koshimizu Ami, and Toyoguchi Megumi, as well as the seiyuu for Aaer and Neviril, and the seiyuu for Furoe, who appears to be quite young. They show little pics of the character when the seiyuu starts to speak, so you can tell who plays whom even if you can't understand what they're saying.

And the technician is definitely female. You can tell by upper body configuration....

Great point from vuori about the change in writers. This ep had a different feel from the first two, probably partly because of that change.

And whatever we decide on for Maaju and Ri Maajon, I think it has to preserve the connection between the two: Maaju is practice for Ri Maajon, and so the sounds of the words are connected. Maybe some further explanation will show up when the blog entires for episode 4 are posted on the official site.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 22:14   Link #143
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

I'm so relieved that Mamiko Noto is playing the smallest girl, Rimonu. She gets (one) line in episode three, and her voice isn't bad at all. Furoe still annoys me, but only a little. She's bearable.

As far as the name discussion goes... am I missing a syllable? It sounds like most people just call her 'Nebiru'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
I just discovered a nice promo video on the official site with little statements from all the main seiyuu about the show and their characters.
Thanks again for the links ^_^

Is it just me, or does Neviru's seiyuu say 'I think Neviru will meet a new love' during her interview. My Japanese skills are lacking, and I can't rewind and watch again due to minute long buffering times.

Edit for more thoughts on the video:

Holy crap, does Toyoguchi Megumi (Sei-sama of MariMite fame) talk fast. I was looking forward to her interview, but it was an incomprehensible mass of words. Compare that to Nebiru's seiyuu, who talks really... really slow (not that I'm complaining! I understood parts ^_^).

Furoe's seiyuu looks like she's about 15 or 16? What? She says its her first time working in anime too.

Last edited by Tremalkinger; 2006-04-18 at 22:29.
Tremalkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 01:05   Link #144
Sakuya
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremalkinger
As far as the name discussion goes... am I missing a syllable? It sounds like most people just call her 'Nebiru'.
http://character.biglobe.ne.jp/speci...oun/chara.html

The romanization is "Nebiriru".
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 02:35   Link #145
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
I think "call" makes sense, but I have no reason to think that was intended, whereas "corps" is pretty exact, referring to a military body -- except for the size of the body.
A Corps in the modern sense is a large unit, but they could be thinking of the original French, where corps just means body (of troops, craft etc.). To me that term doesn't carry any particular sense of size - what matters is that it's a cohesive unit, as in the phrase espirit de corps.

Now I think this is a weak argument, but you could suggest "call" as in "callsign" - think of the squadron callsigns in the original Star Wars movie (Red Leader, Red 5...). So far we've seen Tempest and Cup(??). One reason I don't that's very likely is that they don't seem to have radios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya
Sorry to be pedantic, but the kana ネヴィリル on that page is romanised as Neviriru - Nebiriru would be ネビリル. Also, in my totally subjective opinion the softer "v" just sounds nicer.

Quote:
I can't rewind and watch again due to minute long buffering times.
Depending on your OS, you could look around for a stream recorder. I use GetASFStream myself, and it does the job fine despite its somewhat confusing interface.
Old 2006-04-19, 03:06   Link #146
Iskandar Taib

Quote:
Furoe's seiyuu looks like she's about 15 or 16? What? She says its her first time working in anime too.
Looks more like 12 to me..

Or she just sounds it.. Maybe she's another Ohtani Ikue.

They seem to make a lot of comments about who is "kawaii" and who is "suteki", don't they?

A little nitpick - I wonder if "navigator" is the best term to use for the Sagitta. They handle the weapons, maybe "WSO" or "RIO" would be better..

In a long bygone age, the second person in a two seater was called the "observer". Later on, on things like the DH Mosquito, the second man may indeed have been a navigator. It would be interesting to find out what the proper terms would have been in the Italian air force...
Iskandar Taib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 03:40   Link #147
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskandar Taib
A little nitpick - I wonder if "navigator" is the best term to use for the Sagitta. They handle the weapons, maybe "WSO" or "RIO" would be better..
How about MIB - Miko In Back.

(For anyone who's wondering: this is a feeble pun on Guy In Back (GIB), slang for the second crew-member of a modern fighter aircraft.)

Last edited by Simon; 2006-04-19 at 03:52.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 05:01   Link #148
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskandar Taib
...A little nitpick - I wonder if "navigator" is the best term to use for the Sagitta. They handle the weapons, maybe "WSO" or "RIO" would be better....
The glossary on the site says that the sagitta is the "navigator" (the English word in kana) and also handles the weapons. So far I'm not sure the weapons, whatever they are, are that important, since the Simoun appear to make their biggest effect with Ri Maajon, which seems to depend on the pilot.

I just wanted to take a look at the OP, but I got caught and watched ep3 again. Good show. Unique atmosphere. Strong characters. Great music -- sometimes playing against the scene, but sometimes very effectively dramatizing it, as when Neviriru made her entrance into the Maaju.

As for Neviriru (Neviril), I'm 100% sure it's a "v" on the official site. The kana are ネヴィリル, and ヴ is a "v", according to Japanese wikipedia. What the characters are saying is more problematic, but it's pretty likely they're following the script.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-04-19 at 05:37.
Old 2006-04-19, 06:05   Link #149
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
As for Neviriru (Neviril), I'm 100% sure it's a "v" on the official site. The kana are ネヴィリル, and ヴ is a "v", according to Japanese wikipedia. What the characters are saying is more problematic, but it's pretty likely they're following the script.
Well, that doesn't really answer our question, since all Japanese syllables are open except ん.

So, even if it was Nevril, they still had to write it as Neviriru.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 06:22   Link #150
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Well, that doesn't really answer our question, since all Japanese syllables are open except ん.

So, even if it was Nevril, they still had to write it as Neviriru.
But don't the Japanese prefer -u kana to approximate closed syllables? (Except for to of course.) So by that logic Nevril would be written as ネヴリル "Nevuriru".

Hopefully the ep 2 sub will be out soon so we can see what Doremi decided to do. Of course that's only a very small part of why I'm waiting for the ep 2 sub

EDIT: Just remembered I was meaning to post this - Comic Yuri Hime V4 cover. This volume will have the second installment of the Simoun manga.

Last edited by Simon; 2006-04-19 at 06:52.
Old 2006-04-19, 09:29   Link #151
Yui from Okinawa

Send a message via Yahoo to Yui from Okinawa
Q & A and Consideration sub-page added!

Many people question to simoun wolrd!
Now I add main-page to "Q & A and Consideration sub-page "!http://www.geocities.jp/emiri_0623/q-and-A-english.htm

Last edited by Yui from Okinawa; 2006-04-19 at 10:30. Reason: URL miss
Yui from Okinawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 10:15   Link #152
Seska

Offtopic:

Technic of the flight vehicles....

i think they use some kind of rotation force, to maintain high and manover for they crafts. But dont ask me, how the source looks alike and what kind of power they use to maintain this,( the rotation force) up.

Mmm. still not found a subbed eps 2.

Mfg,
Seska
Seska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 13:51   Link #153
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Well, that doesn't really answer our question, since all Japanese syllables are open except ん. So, even if it was Nevril, they still had to write it as Neviriru.
I was just answering the question about "b" or "v". It's "v".

As for Neviril or Nevril, I'm open to either, but I think Simon had a good point: that they would not add the little "i" in there if they wanted to elide the vowel. Here are the lines from ja.wiki that may apply:
1. 後に母音を伴わない [v] はほぼ例外なく「ヴ」と書かれる。
2. [va]、[vi]、[vu]、[ve]、[vo] は、それぞれ「ヴァ」、「ヴィ」、「ヴ」、「ヴェ」、「ヴォ」と書かれる。

I believe this says: 1. Use 「ヴ」 alone when there's no following vowel.
2. represent the sounds in brackets with the kana combinations in brackets. [So "vi" would be 「ヴィ」, as in ネヴィリル].

I also think Yui's usage is telling. She's a native-speaker and uses Neviril.

Oh, and it looks like I missed something the technician Waporif said about his/her gender. Although he still has a woman's breasts, Yui on her Q&A page points out that s/he said s/he went to the pool two years before and decided to become a man. The breasts still give a yuri ambience, but he's now male. (I checked Yui's Japanese Q&A as well.) When people become male, they add "wa" to the front of their names, so she went from Porif to Waporif (Poorifu to Wapoorifu).

Yui also says that Waporif said the top ring controls the energy that is in space, and the bottom ring controls time. What that means, I'm not sure. And neither are they. Maybe the top ring somehow taps zero-point energy?

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-04-19 at 14:25.
Old 2006-04-19, 14:34   Link #154
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Yui also says that Waporif said the top ring controls the energy that is in space, and the bottom ring controls time.
Seems that we were right about Tempus Spatium (time-space) then. I could buy them somehow exploiting the time-space continuum (I trust the power of yuri ) but if the bottom ring controls only time, you'd think they would have come up with a time machine and that doesn't seem to be the case. Anyway, I still think they are worshipping some sort of a technological miracle because they don't underastand it fully which will lead to problems in the future.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 14:47   Link #155
Seska

dont forget the trainie ship, at the end of Episode 02....
It have only 1 ring...

Mfg,
Seska
Seska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 15:29   Link #156
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seska
dont forget the trainie ship, at the end of Episode 02.... It have only 1 ring... Mfg, Seska
In Yui's Q&A, it says that the single-ringed ships are just for training, but that they can attack other ships with a sonic boom.
Spoiler for ep2:
I like the idea that the time- and space-rings interact to produce the special power of the Simoun, but maybe the training ship just has the space-ring. I'm sure we will learn more gradually. That appears to be how this show works.
Old 2006-04-19, 16:30   Link #157
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
When people become male, they add "wa" to the front of their names, so she went from Porif to Waporif (Poorifu to Wapoorifu).
Yui's page says it's the final -f that marks a male name, which fits with
Spoiler for ep 2:

I haven't read the ending credits closely enough, but there seem to be a lot of minor characters whose names end that way (the drones of the hive?).

It's also interesting to read Yui's point that if a Simulacran chooses to become male, they don't change instantly. So I guess their society has a number of people in their late teens / early 20s who in our world would be considered "transgendered"? I wonder how this affects their social interactions (and how accepting a Japanese audience would be of this notion)? For example, would people without a strong gender preference choose to remain female and avoid the hassle of transition? If gender is changeable, would they be less hung up on same-sex vs opposite-sex relationships?

For all I'm a self-confessed Joshikōsei fan, it's also nice to watch an anime that's so thought-provoking...
Old 2006-04-19, 17:02   Link #158
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
I also think Yui's usage is telling. She's a native-speaker and uses Neviril.
No offense to anyone here, but I've seen weirder cases of Engrish. In official print media too. 8)

Anyway, I think that unless we see some official confirmation, I'm going to stick to my preferred method. Of course, you are all more than welcome to use what you think is best here.

Since Doremi is kinda stalling and I've only watched the raws so far, it doesn't really matter that much to me. It's just a fansub, and I've seen some weird double reverse romanisations in my time (Akaado, anyone? 8)). So, it's not like this vital to our enjoyment of the show.

I'd rather discuss plot and characters that naming conventions. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 17:11   Link #159
Simon
気持ち悪い

Omg! Omg! Omg!

Excuse me for squealing like an air-headed (Aeru-headed?) fanboy, but the full-length OP theme video is available for free legal download.

Last edited by Simon; 2006-04-19 at 17:41. Reason: Clarify that it's from a legitimate source
Old 2006-04-19, 18:15   Link #160
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
Yui's page says it's the final -f that marks a male name...For all I'm a self-confessed Joshikōsei fan, it's also nice to watch an anime that's so thought-provoking...
My mistake. Wakoria to Wakorifu. I think the unusual gender situation is one of the very interesting things about this show. The female-voiced males were unsettling at first, but I got used to them quickly, and they help give this show its wonderfully unearthly feel. Yes, I agree same-sex opposite-sex would have less meaning in a society like that. And I wonder what the male-female ratio would be. I'd expect there to be fewer males. But does it look like the males are in leading positions? That would be weird.

With Kashimashi just over, and Simoun, Ouran High School Host Club, and Princess Princess on now, do you think that there may be some current gender instability in Japan (to say nothing of elsewhere) that is being represented in anime?

And although I haven't gone so far as to call myself a "fan" yet, I'm also in the minority that's enjoying Joshikousei. I do think that it has thought-provoking aspects, too. As well as deeply mindless ones.

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri