Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-03-29, 12:34   Link #3201
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
That's not specifically Perfect Cell's theme. That theme plays several times throughout the Cell Saga, and amongst those times are times when Cell isn't even there.
True, but it's literally the music used when he reaches his perfect stage. There isn't exactly a Perfect Cell track like Faulconer's in Kikuchi's score.
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 13:01   Link #3202
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai View Post
True, but it's literally the music used when he reaches his perfect stage. There isn't exactly a Perfect Cell track like Faulconer's in Kikuchi's score.
That's one thing that I preferred about Faulconer's score over Kikuchi's. There were a lot more specific/character themes. The dub soundtrack was also less repetitive overall. More diversity, if you will.
Old 2011-03-29, 13:02   Link #3203
ChainLegacy
廉頗

That's one part of the dub track I liked a bit better, character specific themes... They had one for Cell and Vegeta if I remember correctly. And yeah that Cell remix is one of Bruce's better tracks imo as well. Overall though the original Kai track was the best.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
That's one thing that I preferred about Faulconer's score over Kikuchi's. There were a lot more specific/character themes. The dub soundtrack was also less repetitive overall. More diversity, if you will.
Dude, we psychically linked or what? I posted the same thing less than a minute after!
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 14:47   Link #3204
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

That was one of the reasons why i like Faulconer's score, plus it also had some very well done music placement. Especially during the Freeza fight.

For example, Goku's Spirt Bomb.
Old 2011-03-29, 15:46   Link #3205
Meloria

The dub soundtrack really gives the series a unique mood, something I liked a lot when I watched it back on TV. Had either a creepy feel to it, or a constant sense of danger/threat - especially after the Freeza arc.
Meloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 17:25   Link #3206
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

The only gripe against the dub music for me was that Faulconer felt like he had to fill every single second of every single episode with music...You don't ALWAYS, 1000% of the time need music...I mean he'd fill dead silence with music if he had the chance...The mr. Satan stuff was the worse, cause everytime they'd cut to "Hercule" he had to play the "Bulk and Skull from Power-Rangers-esque" doofas insert tracks....It be like:

Tension------------------------->Dooofus track-----------------Tension

I liked most of the character specific music, especially Vegeta, but overall Kai's sdtk was more fitting for me...The only time I'd say they failed was when Gohan2 started fighting the Cell Jr.'s...Faulconer murdered that with a new modified Gohan BGM that just soopa-fied the moment in the original dub run....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Nope. 18# was never an android. She's a cyborg.
Hence her name ANDROID #18 of the ANDROID saga
Old 2011-03-29, 17:36   Link #3207
Vicious108

Yay for ignorance. She's referred to as Jinzouningen in the original Japanese, which stands for "Artificial Human" and not "ANDROID".

The android thing is just a typical dumb translation by Funi. The only actual androids in the "ANDROID saga" were #16 and #19. #17, #18, Gero and Cell? All cyborgs.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 18:09   Link #3208
Kallen4life

Cell is purely biological, no ? well, he absorbed 2 cyborgs, they had metal, but that's like food .. and Super Perfect Cell didn't have that even
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 19:56   Link #3209
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Yay for ignorance. She's referred to as Jinzouningen in the original Japanese, which stands for "Artificial Human" and not "ANDROID".

The android thing is just a typical dumb translation by Funi. The only actual androids in the "ANDROID saga" were #16 and #19. #17, #18, Gero and Cell? All cyborgs.
Aren't we mincing meatballs? She's a damn android, oh she's got a metallic bomb inside of her so she's a cyborb, oh she can have kids she's a andborg... Before Funimation ever even got DBZ when Pioneer was still dubbing the show, and me and my friends were watching bootleg Z with lines on the screen it was translated as "android"...And here we are 13 years since I first saw DBZ and the fansubbers of the today are STILL calling the saga ANDROID and still translating it as ANDROID (i.e. Android #17 and Android #18), so your right and the last 13 years of subbing and dubbing are wrong...I gotya...

New back and forth topic BEGIN!
Old 2011-03-29, 20:31   Link #3210
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Aren't we mincing meatballs? She's a damn android, oh she's got a metallic bomb inside of her so she's a cyborb, oh she can have kids she's a andborg... Before Funimation ever even got DBZ when Pioneer was still dubbing the show, and me and my friends were watching bootleg Z with lines on the screen it was translated as "android"...And here we are 13 years since I first saw DBZ and the fansubbers of the today are STILL calling the saga ANDROID and still translating it as ANDROID (i.e. Android #17 and Android #18), so your right and the last 13 years of subbing and dubbing are wrong...I gotya...

Well that settles it then. Since everyone calls it the Android saga that must mean that everyone in the saga is clearly an android and not an "Artificial Human" like they refer to themselves in the original material. It was clearly a stupid mistake on our part to actually listen to the show and catch the bits where they clearly explain the differences between #16 (who was a fully artificial human) and #17 and #18 who where "Artificial Humans" as they called themselves and were based on flesh and blood with tweaks and modifications by Dr. Gero. Clearly, we just failed to understand that those lines were just mistakes and the title of the saga says it all.
Old 2011-03-29, 21:05   Link #3211
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^ Exactly!^^

Stop yelling "It's Futbol!!" at my kids' soccer match, we know you're right, but we really don't give a damn, it's soccer cuz it's always been soccer to us!
Old 2011-03-30, 02:33   Link #3212
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
The only gripe against the dub music for me was that Faulconer felt like he had to fill every single second of every single episode with music...You don't ALWAYS, 1000% of the time need music...I mean he'd fill dead silence with music if he had the chance...
That wasn't Bruce Faulconer's fault. He composed the music, and didn't decide on the placement for it.
Old 2011-03-30, 12:29   Link #3213
Vicious108

Quote:

Quote:
^ Exactly!^^

Stop yelling "It's Futbol!!" at my kids' soccer match, we know you're right, but we really don't give a damn, it's soccer cuz it's always been soccer to us!
Being ignorant is one thing. Being ignorant and proud of it is just sad. But hey, to which his own. Have fun being perpetually incorrect.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-30, 12:55   Link #3214
Mukki

Send a message via AIM to Mukki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtzR-TDXX-I P.S. I always kinda thought the Bruce Faulconer Perfect Cell theme was in the japanese version as well .. I mean, is there a reason they made so much new music for the dub ? not that I'm complaining
Well, let's ignore the link itself saying "American soundtrack."

As for the explanation - Funimation used to be really bad at dubbing, meaning that they tried to "Americanize" their products and basically took a lot of creative liberties. They've since stopped this practice and became a really good dubbing company in the last decade, but the Dragon Ball franchise was an unfortunate casualty to allow this transition.

Dragon Ball Kai's dub is more in-line with Funimation's current level of quality. I'm just happy to see that they've improved so vastly.
Mukki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-30, 13:08   Link #3215
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Being ignorant is one thing. Being ignorant and proud of it is just sad. But hey, to which his own. Have fun being perpetually incorrect.
Jesus Skywalker, It is what it is...I never asked to be corrected on "android"...I originally LOL'd at Krillen actually banging one and because the character is known as "Android #18" not "Cyborg #18" (goodluck Googling the latter)I called her what she's called...So I think we can safely rolodex this under the "Who gives 2 flying $hits category?" But please, passively make me feel more inadequate if you like...
Old 2011-03-30, 15:54   Link #3216
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I think you guys are just arguing semantics. Going by the definition that an android is completely artificial and 18 is at least partially human, then she's definitely a cyborg by the English definition. But that doesn't really matter much cuz even if she's called Android 18, she still functionally is a cyborg, we all know from watching the show she's got organic material, ability to procreate, and was originally human (though only vague comments are made regarding that last bit). I always thought 17 and 18's back-story would've made an interesting OVA, but then again the series is already enormous in length so idk.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-30, 16:02   Link #3217
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Why are we even arguing the logic on 18? All we know is that she is hot, powerful and Krillan is one lucky SOB.

The real reason that Goku refused to come back to life is
Spoiler for my guess:
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-30, 18:56   Link #3218
Mukki

Send a message via AIM to Mukki
Quote:
Jesus Skywalker, It is what it is...I never asked to be corrected on "android"...I originally LOL'd at Krillen actually banging one and because the character is known as "Android #18" not "Cyborg #18" (goodluck Googling the latter)I called her what she's called...So I think we can safely rolodex this under the "Who gives 2 flying $hits category?" But please, passively make me feel more inadequate if you like...
Not trying to be a jerk, but did you try googling "Cyborg 18"? It brings up a ton of correct results. :P

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22Cyborg+18%22
Mukki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-30, 22:08   Link #3219
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Haha, Oh yeah your trying to be a jerk!^^
Old 2011-04-02, 13:54   Link #3220
Ahiru77
あひる

It must be driving purists up the wall to hear.....after all these years......the new dub still calling 17 & 18 androids while they could've just said cyborgs.

They must've had their reasons.
Ahiru77 is offline   Reply With Quote