AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-01-03, 12:22   Link #261
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
I don't think anybody takes the virtual boy as an actual portable, there's no way you can walk around with that thing. And the game boy light was just a gimmick off of the game boy's success, like the DSi XL. All things considered, nintendo hasn't dropped the ball on their handlehelds ever, if we are just talking about the initial version. Future "improved" versions may succeed or fail on their own merits without really damaging the name of the original handheld it stemmed off of. The Gameboy Advanced Micro was a complete bomb, but it doesn't detract from the GBA
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 12:32   Link #262
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Well depends on who you ask;

With the Micro, the screen was surprisingly well-detailed, and being able to playDonkey Kong Country 2 and Legend of Zelda A Link To The Past where ever I went was an awesome experience.
Old 2011-01-03, 13:07   Link #263
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
Ill buy the 3DSi with improved screen, better 3D effect, more networking features and cheaper pricetag. And by then ill buy all the good games for half the price, too! Oh im so smart.
Hey, I've followed the same strategy my whole life. Recently I bought a PSOne and I've been having a blast.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-03, 15:16   Link #264
Syntron
Shiny Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Hey, I've followed the same strategy my whole life. Recently I bought a PSOne and I've been having a blast.
Eh thats taking things a little far. Unless you tried to troll me, ofc. But im not talking about waiting 5+ years to buy something completely outdated for next to nothing from ebay. I have a PS3, but i waited. So i got myself a Slim with much more capacity and cheap games. Its still current gen, but the best version of it.
Old 2011-01-03, 15:23   Link #265
Proto

Well, it was an exaggeration, but it's true that I'm waiting for the PS2 to have another drop in price before getting it. I'm always at least 2 generations behind.
Old 2011-01-04, 09:27   Link #266
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu
I don't think anybody takes the virtual boy as an actual portable, there's no way you can walk around with that thing.
I don't think you need to be able to walk around with it for it to be considered portable. It's certainly not a home console, as you can easily play it anywhere you like.
Quote:
And the game boy light was just a gimmick off of the game boy's success
A back-lighted screen is not a gimmick.
Quote:
Gameboy Advanced Micro
Please spell it correctly. It's "Game Boy Advance". "Game Boy" consists of two words, and I keep wondering where people get the idea to add a "d" to "Advance".
Old 2011-01-04, 10:20   Link #267
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
I don't think you need to be able to walk around with it for it to be considered portable. It's certainly not a home console, as you can easily play it anywhere you like.

A back-lighted screen is not a gimmick.

Please spell it correctly. It's "Game Boy Advance". "Game Boy" consists of two words, and I keep wondering where people get the idea to add a "d" to "Advance".
I consider it a gimmick, mainly because they didn't think the technology was advanced or important enough to use again until the Gameboy Advanced SP.

As for playing with the Virtual Boy where ever you like, surely that true, if where ever you are has a flat surface.

I doubt this darn thing:

was ever meant to be carried around frequently, hence it's not really that portable.

Anyway, this comes back to the 3DS. Granted it may be a bit foolhardy to completely believe that the 3DS will be a success, I guess there has to be some skepticism. But I'm confident enough to say that it won't bomb.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 11:04   Link #268
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I think it is rather strange to compare 3DS with the Virtual Boy. For one thing people have actually held the 3DS and liked it. (A reason they actually raised the intended sale price.)

The Virtual Boy would never have been liked by anyone who tried using it. If there was some obvious design flaw no one would have been impressed at the convention.

It would be like bashing Kinect just because of the RRoD. It is not at all related.
Old 2011-01-04, 11:26   Link #269
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
I don't see where all the skepticism is coming from, it's a Nintendo handleheld which means it's a guaranteed success with every publisher on the planet dangling off it's fat money making balls.
I don't know why people were skeptical of the N64, it's a Nintendo console which means it's a guaranteed success with every publisher on the planet dangling off it's fat money making balls.

I don't know why people were skeptical of the Gamecube, it's a Nintendo console which means it's a guaranteed success with every publisher on the planet dangling off it's fat money making balls, the N64 was the exception.

I don't know why people were skeptical of the Ps3, it's a Sony console which means it's a guaranteed success with every publisher on the planet dangling off it's fat money making balls.

See the problem with this line of thought is that if you're too arrogant to even think it would be a failure, there's a good possibility you're going to get a rude awakening like Nintendo did for two console gens and Sony did this current gen.

Saying that Nintendo and than Sony were arrogant before the launches of the above 3 systems would be an understatement. The 3DS is an expensive handheld mainly filled with ports and remakes and relying on it's 3D effects. I seriously think that Monster Hunter 4 on a better looking (sans 3d) and cheaper PSP2 could give the 3DS some serious trouble in Japan... Monster Hunter Portable 3 is looking like outselling the last Dragon Quest on DS... problem is that's only a Japan thing..

Personally I think it will sell well but be nowhere near as successful as the NDS but there is always a possibility it could end up like the N64/NGC/PS3. But still with another Pokemon and of course New Super Mario Brothers (and lets be real, those titles will sell more units than everything announced already) it's very hard to see this system failing... but stranger things have happened...

Last edited by Westlo; 2011-01-04 at 11:52.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 12:56   Link #270
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Well depends on who you ask;

With the Micro, the screen was surprisingly well-detailed, and being able to playDonkey Kong Country 2 and Legend of Zelda A Link To The Past where ever I went was an awesome experience.
Yeah, I don't know where the criticism goes on the GBA Micro, besides it being too small for Shaq-sized hands, but I loved it enough to buy 2 (I know, weird reason: I needed the EU power adapter), but it is great to throw even 2 in a single pocket, the battery life was nice, 4 different brightness settings made sure of that, and a nice improvement: dam 3.5mm headphone plug

On my take on the 3DS' anticipation? I'll get it for the same reason I got the GBA Micro's: I want it even if it sold well or not, the fact that I wanted it, makes it a good buy to me regardless if I feel it was a waste like my iPhone or not.
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 13:31   Link #271
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I want a 3DS, I just don't think I'll get it on launch day. I want a PSP, too; mostly for MGS PW. Damn, if MGS PW went on 3DS, I could do without a PSP. That'd be nice.

Also, I don't get the skepticism like some people here. Yes, there is a possibility that this device could have lackluster sales, and an even smaller chance that it'll bomb, but there is a high chance it will succeed. I'd say there is a high chance it'll succeed to a great degree, even. The DS has sold over 100 million units. Like way over that amount. The DS is so popular. Hardcore gamers who tried it rave about how neat this portable is. Casuals will flock to it, like we've seen with the Wii and Kinect. You know a lot of casuals are going to want one because of the 3D display, and a lot of hardcore gamers are going to want one because it is the successor to the DS.

Someone made the point that we shouldn't assume this will do well and they mention the PS3. 3DS is on track to being 'another PS2' rather than another PS3 if you ask me. 3DS could do poorly, but if I was to bet money on how it'll do, I would bet that it'd do great.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2011-01-04 at 13:41.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 14:03   Link #272
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Sony is a bit too confident, don't you think? They are stating that the PSP as it is right now can still hope to compete against the 3DS for "another three years" before it even needs to start developing, much less releasing a PSP2 to compete against it.
Old 2011-01-04, 14:57   Link #273
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Sony is a bit too confident, don't you think? They are stating that the PSP as it is right now can still hope to compete against the 3DS for "another three years" before it even needs to start developing, much less releasing a PSP2 to compete against it.
Well, if they consider what it's been doing since launch as "competing", then yeah I guess it can continue to "compete" for another three years.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 15:21   Link #274
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Someone made the point that we shouldn't assume this will do well and they mention the PS3. 3DS is on track to being 'another PS2' rather than another PS3 if you ask me. 3DS could do poorly, but if I was to bet money on how it'll do, I would bet that it'd do great.
And the PSP was on track to smash the DS and we saw how that ended up... PSP turned into a joke and was only saved in Japan thanks to Monster Hunter.

Like I said it's more than likely going to sell extremely well but I wouldn't have thought Nintendo would flop even worse with the Gamecube than they did with N64, I wouldn't have thought that the Ps3 would be in 3rd place after two generations of absolute dominance by Sony. (the wii while with a massive lead is nowhere near as dominate as the psx and ps2 was over their direct competitors.. 360 and ps3 have easily outsold the saturn, n64, cube, dreamcast and xbox...)
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 16:14   Link #275
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

See, the thing is I never heard of people saying that the PSP would crush the DS besides Sony fanboys.

Everyone else knew the DS would be fine, because Nintendo has had the handheld market in their clutches ever since the original Game Boy was released. That is the thing. They've dominated that market since the late 80s and most people are sure that the 3DS will just further lengthen their continuous dominance.
Old 2011-01-04, 16:45   Link #276
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
And the PSP was on track to smash the DS
Wait... it was? All I remember about PSP vs DS discussion before both had been released was a bunch of flame wars between fanboys.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 21:38   Link #277
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
And the PSP was on track to smash the DS and we saw how that ended up... PSP turned into a joke and was only saved in Japan thanks to Monster Hunter.

Like I said it's more than likely going to sell extremely well but I wouldn't have thought Nintendo would flop even worse with the Gamecube than they did with N64, I wouldn't have thought that the Ps3 would be in 3rd place after two generations of absolute dominance by Sony. (the wii while with a massive lead is nowhere near as dominate as the psx and ps2 was over their direct competitors.. 360 and ps3 have easily outsold the saturn, n64, cube, dreamcast and xbox...)
So... You think it will sell extremely well, but you hope it will crash and burn instead?

Because it sounds like you are going out of your way to say it will go bad. Despite the fact that you think the reverse is more likely.
(I have a mental image of you stabbing the straw model of 3DS with pins and knives...)
Old 2011-01-04, 22:14   Link #278
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I want my chocobo racing now
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 22:28   Link #279
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Wait... it was? All I remember about PSP vs DS discussion before both had been released was a bunch of flame wars between fanboys.
Oh, I can't forget this one (as E3 2004 is my most fondest of E3). Aside from the usual photoshop jobs either side made for the enemy's system, I distinctly remember PSP advocates calling up power and specs that would simply blow the DS away. Sure it does, but it didn't blow away the true anticipation amongst a majority of Nintendo faithfuls: the potential of a touchscreen+stylus that can bring about unique games. 7 years later, look at it now

This is the same feeling I get from the 3DS. Will it sell well or will it not? I won't bet on that. Instead, I'm thinking on how Nintendo can enhance gameplay yet again with not only a touchscreen, but the 3rd dimension that can bring depth to games if used properly. Lots of DS users agree, using the stylus is great, but when games restrict players to just the stylus, it didn't go well for some, and if game developers insist on a 3D experience all the way, I think there will be much worse "Imagine Series" market bloat than the DS has

The difference there? The PSP essentially brought very little "new" to the table (basically likened to a suped up GBA 1st gen), but the DS brought a new gaming experience (don't tell me those Palm pilot games were fun ). Today we know the 3DS will bring another new experience, but what do we know of the PSP2? I haven't seen (a real good) pic of it, heck I don't even know what it has, so why bury the market leader (Nintendo) when the other guy has not drummed up any bit of info yet (Sony) ?. The amazing thing here, we have seen what the 3DS looks like, but not the PSP2. So saying the 3DS won't sell well when, well, the other markets' competitor is nowhere to be seen, who do you think will gain from this?

Why, the first one to the market, of course. Regardless if it sells well or not, the fact that we know what it does, then presumebly we have it in our hands, then we anticipate the potential titles in the months ahead, clearly is a decent foothold in the market. Can you think the same way about the PSP2? I can't, I donlt even know if the ghost of a machine has a UMD slot, does it use an M2 card, is it purely onboard storage only? I don't know about you, but I'm not about to bury a real actual device headed to the market in 1 month, in favor of a ghostly apparation that isn't even a girl
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-04, 22:34   Link #280
Proto

Quote:
enhance gameplay yet again
Quote:
a new gaming experience
Quote:
Why, the first one to the market, of course.
Spoiler:

*sniff*

Tags
3ds, dsi, nintendo, nintendo 3ds, nintendo ds