Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-05, 13:42   Link #1
Waxon
Lost in life

Question psycological - well drawn

I've hit a dry spot in my "anime carer" and Im turning to you for help.
Im looking for a well drawn anime thats preferdly rather deep psychologicaly.
It's always a plus if it deals with subjects as suicide and mental ilness and death.

so far I've taken a likeing to

>elfen leid
>myself; yourself
>school days
>welcome to the NHK
>higurashi no naku koro ni
>higurashi no naku koro ni kai
>The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
>shigofumi

With higurashi and myself; yourself with a strong position at the top.

Thanks in advance
Old 2009-03-05, 13:53   Link #2
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
Perfect Blue--would be a great movie for you. It doesn't really deal with suicide but has very thought provoking viewpoints about the human psyche.

Serial Expertiment Lain--is a great choice--it directly deals with suicide and the blurring line between reality and virtual reality. It can be slow and somewhat depressing to watch.

Dennou Coil--has incredible high production standards--I heard that it has been worked on for over a decade. Some of the issues take awhile to surface, but I think is is pretty amazing overall--I can't say enough good things about it. Its the type of thing I get drawn in and could watch all day.

Haibane Renmei--has very blurry animation--I think intended to give a surreal feeling. Some people will find that irriating, some will let that drawn them into the atmosphere. It's very slowed based and while there's symbolism at every turn, the plot and perhaps suicidal and self-multilation elements don't surface to the second half.

Any of Makoto Shinkai's works deal with seperation of lovers over distance, time, and even death. They are very artistic with very high production values--Voices of a Distant Star, 5 Centimeters Per Second, or The Promised Place of our Early Days.

I've heard Kino's Journey is pretty amazing, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.
Old 2009-03-05, 13:54   Link #3
Haruyan

Perfect Blue - it's a movie though. Ah, got beaten to it, seconded then.
Old 2009-03-05, 13:55   Link #4
Waxon
Lost in life

many thx
Old 2009-03-05, 14:33   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I see that you, or someone, tagged this thread "psychological." Did you look at the other threads with this tag? You'll find quite a few suggestions.

http://forums.animesuki.com/tags.php?tag=psychological
Old 2009-03-05, 14:50   Link #6
Coruja

I strongly suggest Death Note, Paranoia Agent and Monster.
Old 2009-03-05, 20:58   Link #7
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

the irony here is that higurashi and myself yourself both have VERY terrible animation.

I second Serial Experiments Lain, Paranoia Agent and Perfect Blue, and toss in Boogiepop Phantom as well.
Old 2009-03-05, 22:00   Link #8
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
psycological - well drawn
Wow, you just described Ghost Hound in two words. Ghost Hound is psychological in the most strict sense of the world. Complete with a team of psychologists characters trying to unveil the mysteries of the series. Coupled with I.G. Productions, one of the best animation teams in the industry (Ghost in the Shell, Seirei no Moribito).

BTw I'm surprised Ghost in the Shell hasn't been mentioned itself.
Old 2009-03-05, 22:56   Link #9
Shadow Kira01

Persona ~Trinity Soul~: The events that took place 10 years after Persona 3 and 8 years after the incidents of Persona 4. It also features cameos of former S.E.E.S. members who carry evokers.
Old 2009-03-05, 23:11   Link #10
sa547
*Author

Someone forgot to mention Evangelion.
Old 2009-03-06, 01:10   Link #11
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Someone forgot to mention Evangelion.
Eva had a really mixed production standard--I still wince at the long sometimes as much as a minute scenes where nothing happens towards the end of the series.
Old 2009-03-06, 01:14   Link #12
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telmah View Post
Eva had a really mixed production standard--I still wince at the long sometimes as much as a minute scenes where nothing happens towards the end of the series.
One of the few ways to achieve a mind****.

I don't know this other will work, but does Revolutionary Girl Utena apply as well?

Last edited by sa547; 2009-03-08 at 00:46.
Old 2009-03-06, 01:25   Link #13
Haruyan

Oh! Utena seconded, along with the movie.
Old 2009-03-06, 17:32   Link #14
4Tran

Quote:
I don't know this other will work, but does Utena apply as well?
Certainly Utena counts as a psychological work - there aren't a lot of shows that explore the different aspects of psychology as well. As for well-drawn, in my view, the Utena movie is the most beautiful anime I've ever watched. Everything from the art design, to the framing, to the movement is just top-notch. While the TV show retains a lot of the flavor of the movie, it'd be absurd to think that it's anywhere nearly as pretty. It was a low-budget late-'90s TV show, so that's just to be expected. However, it's also extremely good, so it's definite worth a watch. Just as a note, the Utena TV show is one of the weirdest shows out there, and the movie is much more weird.

Admittedly, I may be biased because I'm rewatching it, and because Akio is making me say good things about the show .
Old 2009-03-06, 17:39   Link #15
deltaxxmintpie
Cake lover Cookie ninja

OMG no one has mentioned Ergo Proxy!!!?? Very psycological, it starts off rather slow first but gets more and more interesting (and confusing) later on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergo_Proxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Ergo Proxy (エルゴプラクシー ,Erugo Purakushī?) is a science fiction suspense anime television series, produced by Manglobe, which premiered across Japan on 25 February 2006 on the WOWOW satellite network. It is directed by Shukō Murase, with screenplay by Dai Satō et al. Ergo Proxy features a combination of 2D digital cel animation, 3D computer modeling and digital special effects. The series has both steampunk and postcyberpunk elements and focuses heavily on the psychology and mentality of its protagonists.

The story begins in a futuristic domed city called Romdo,[1] built to protect its citizens after a global ecological disaster. In this utopia, humans and androids (AutoReivs[1]) coexist with each other peacefully under a total management system. A series of murders committed by berserk robots infected with the Cogito virus begins to jeopardize the delicate balance of the social order. Behind the scenes, the government is conducting secret experiments on a mysterious humanoid lifeform called Proxy, which is believed to hold the key to the survival of mankind.

Re-l (also spelled Real in fansubs, pronounced "Rielle") Mayer is assigned to investigate some of the murders with her AutoReiv partner Iggy. She encounters a Cogito-infected AutoReiv and a fast and flexible monster. She later learns that the monster was a Proxy. The other central character, an immigrant named Vincent Law, is revealed as being the eponymous proxy, but his memories of his time in his native dome of Mosque are suppressed, or perhaps he suppresses them. After being hunted down, Vincent and Re-l leave Romdo, only to discover the truth behind the Proxies and the domes.

In the domed city of Romdo (and possible in other domed cities) various sections of the 'government' are referred to as Bureaux - the Intelligence Bureau, the Health & Welfare Bureau and the Security Bureau among others. The AutoReivs are referred to as either 'companions' or 'entourage' depending on their role. Similar to films such as The Matrix, it appears that the humans in the city are somehow created and birthed by grossly swollen Autoreivs, and each assumes a purpose. This purpose, referred to as a "raison d'etre", consumes each character throughout the series. For example, Autoreiv's raisons d'etre are to serve the humans, and Daedalus' purpose is to serve and protect Real.
Are you looking for something "stylish" as well? try Ghost in the shell series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_shell
Old 2009-03-08, 00:32   Link #16
wOoOzZy
Master Blaster

Seriel Experiments Lain. 'Nuff said. I'm a big fan of the psychological genre too (was gonna ask for suggestions as well). It's about as psychological as they come. One of my all-time favorites.
Old 2009-03-08, 01:37   Link #17
Antenor
Lucky Bastard

I have to second on Ghost in the Shell. A very enjoyable anime toying and studying real-life sociological concepts.

Been hailed as too brainy by some, but I enjoyed it throughly.
Old 2009-03-08, 04:31   Link #18
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
One of the few ways to achieve a mind****.
It worked exceptionally well with Kaworu scene in Terminal Dogma.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2009-03-09, 19:14   Link #19
Appurukami

I would suggest Shingetsutan Tsukihime.
I wouldnt say it was intensley psycological (but at least as much as School Days or Elfen Lied) but it does have some very nice artwork.
Closed Thread

Tags
psychological