AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-02-18, 17:25   Link #4181
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Lots of people will disagree with you indeed. Luckily HxH doesn't rely on power levels to create threat. I mean, they did so here, but with a very particular purpose.
I can understand why people disagree, but here's my reasoning: Hisoka and Chrollo are what I'd call "slow build" villains. I thought we would have an inevitable confrontation with them. For instance, Hisoka is waiting for Gon to reach maturity before he fights him.

With the "most powerful characters are the king and his guards" outlook, doesn't that kind of screw up all that slow build development? If Gon beats Pitou in a battle, doesn't the whole Hisoka issue kind of become anticlimactic? If Netero and the King are the two strongest characters of them all, isn't it all downhill from here? Where does it leave Ging, and other top-level hunters (who, until now, seemed like this cool, mysterious force, potentially brimming with powerful allies and enemies)? I'm not saying that power is everything, but if we're peaking out here in power levels, it definitely throws a monkey wrench into the threat levels of villains in potential future arcs.

Power isn't everything in the HxH world, but it's still a pretty massive component.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-18, 17:39   Link #4182
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

What an unceremoniously way for Cheetu to go. This is what I love about the show; it is so unpredictable.

This episode was OK, no where as good as the last one. Hopefully the next one will have some real fighting going on.
Old 2014-02-18, 18:21   Link #4183
MCAL

Someone on another forum was complaining about people who think HxH is boring cause there really hasn't been any major fighting. Which made me think... It's almost like Cheetu is those people's proxy. And Togashi had him brutally killed cause he wouldn't shut up... So what do you think that says?

EDIT: Just in case anyone is confused (I had to check myself). About 35 seconds passed since the palace invasion started (Episode 112) until Gon found Pitou. Then three minutes passed throughout all of episode 115 and then those same three minutes passed throughout all of episode 116. So the total amount of time that passed in these six episodes has been 3 minutes and 35 seconds.

Last edited by MCAL; 2014-02-18 at 21:52.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 00:32   Link #4184
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
What an unceremoniously way for Cheetu to go. This is what I love about the show; it is so unpredictable.

This episode was OK, no where as good as the last one. Hopefully the next one will have some real fighting going on.
Well how Cheetu died was more unpredictable than the fact that he died. He was planning a throw-down with someone that really could kill him rather easily.

All I can say is this attack makes the passage of time on Namek feel accurate .

I think the lack of direct combat in some respects can't be helped. Knuckles and Shoot really are bound to get slaughtered if they stay too close to Youpi without a plan. But yeah right now the King is in transit and the other two Royal Guards are somewhat in staring contests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
Someone on another forum was complaining about people who think HxH is boring cause there really hasn't been any major fighting. Which made me think... It's almost like Cheetu is those people's proxy. And Togashi had him brutally killed cause he wouldn't shut up... So what do you think that says?

EDIT: Just in case anyone is confused (I had to check myself). About 35 seconds passed since the palace invasion started (Episode 112) until Gon found Pitou. Then three minutes passed throughout all of episode 115 and then those same three minutes passed throughout all of episode 116. So the total amount of time that passed in these six episodes has been 3 minutes and 35 seconds.
That Togashi wants to murder his followers? Somewhat a questionable move .

And what a surprise people on another forum complaining about complaining. That's always fun.
Old 2014-02-19, 00:40   Link #4185
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Boom! 1HKO! I almost felt sorry for Cheetu, guy was annoying, but still... I'm more sad that we'll never see his new technique.

The revelation that Silva was aware of Illumi's needle puts a rather unpleasant spin on his promise with Killua that he'll never betray his friends. Those Zoldycks sure are scary folk.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 05:39   Link #4186
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
With the "most powerful characters are the king and his guards" outlook, doesn't that kind of screw up all that slow build development? If Gon beats Pitou in a battle, doesn't the whole Hisoka issue kind of become anticlimactic? If Netero and the King are the two strongest characters of them all, isn't it all downhill from here? Where does it leave Ging, and other top-level hunters (who, until now, seemed like this cool, mysterious force, potentially brimming with powerful allies and enemies)? I'm not saying that power is everything, but if we're peaking out here in power levels, it definitely throws a monkey wrench into the threat levels of villains in potential future arcs.
I suspect that could be a part into the reasons Togashi seems to have all but forgone continuing HXH. Though of course

Spoiler for Manga spoiler:

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 08:15   Link #4187
Maxtro

I'm also disappointed that there aren't more fights and there's actually been very little action.

I think a major problem with that is that the royal guard are just far too strong so every one who fights them is either running away or having some psychological discussion about why they can't fight them.

HxH is known for having amazing fight scenes but the show has been sorely lacking in that regard for a good number of episodes. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the Netero and the King's fight ends without a single punch being thrown and lasts five seconds.
Maxtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 08:32   Link #4188
hamazura
whatever

someone pls fire the narrator!

#fireandkillthenarator
Old 2014-02-19, 08:48   Link #4189
SHINOBI-03

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
someone pls fire the narrator!

#fireandkillthenarator
Sorry, they paid more to protect him
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 10:17   Link #4190
ookamigirl

Knuckle playing tag with Youpi.
That is one dangerous game.
Shoot sure was in a pitiful state. Poor guy.
Stressed out Youpi going boom, cool.
Hope Knuckle will put that knowledge to good use next time.
There weren't any specific fights this time, just bits and pieces.
Maybe next time we'll see Gon fight.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 10:54   Link #4191
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
I consider that Togashi limits the fighting scenes in order to make them more valuable to the viewer. He has proven that a shonen anime doesn't have to involve fighting every other episode in order to appeal to the base. By restricting fighting scenes to few and far between he manages to fill those gaps with strong emotions, such as anxiety, fear or wonder, and when fighting does happen he transforms all those emotions into excitement. This is what makes him the master mangaka that he is.
Old 2014-02-19, 11:28   Link #4192
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I do feel like episodes like these occasionally get bogged down in the details but I have no qualms about the lack of action. Sugetsu nails it: what it lacks in action, it makes up for with character development. I think complaints about the lack of action stem from a confusion about what this moment is all about. It's easy to assume that if you have an all out war arc like this then you expect it to be about the fights. But Togashi has always been atypical in how he treats fights and here the action is used primarily as a vehicle for character development and analysis, particularly in regards to how the characters react under stress. This recent episode illustrates this well - instead of action between Knuckle and Youpi, we were treated to a rather interesting reversal of roles between Knuckle and Shoot. As Shoot explains, he's usually the one to hold Knuckle back from any stupid ideas but his fight with Youpi has changed him to such a degree that he's begging for his friend to ease his hurt pride above all else (Incidentally, I saw a post somewhere else complaining that it wasn't very subtle but I think that's just missing the point completely). Being able to substitute fights for character development and make it just as intense is what Togashi always does. Personally i didn't think it worked that well for Kurapika but I think it's been fantastic here.

It should be noted that perhaps one reason why I can handle this is because not only is the character focus really good, but I'm also thinking that we'll get our awesome fight scenes with the clash of titans eventually (Meruem vs Netero) so I don't really mind this character focus now. Which leads me to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtro View Post
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the Netero and the King's fight ends without a single punch being thrown and lasts five seconds.
It wouldn't be unlike Togashi to make Netero's fight with Meruem similarly atypical but I think we have plenty of reason to be confident it won't go down that route and that this clash of titans will indeed deliver. It's as you say, HxH is known for having amazing fight scenes and that's because Togashi still knows how to balance action and drama. He's almost always placed in a few really good fights to satisfy us when they're required and he can't ignore one in an environment as perfect as this.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 11:54   Link #4193
SHINOBI-03

-EPISODE 117-
Spoiler for Part 1:

-------------
Spoiler for Part 2:
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 12:39   Link #4194
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I'm surprised no one brought up the fact that only three minutes have passed since the mission started.

That is INTENSE. Zeno even pointed it out.

Yeah I know, even with all the slow motion and cutting between characters, a little too much stuff happened for just 3 minutes. But I'm gonna cut the writer some slack here. Even when it's not really 3 minutes, I'll believe it was a ridiculously short amount of time.

By the way, to bring up the discussion of "who is the strongest".

I think it's a safe assumption that the king and his royal guards are the strongest guys we've seen ever. Ridiculously powerful abilities fueled by the largest amount of aura you can imagine.

People are also giving Hisoka a bit too much credit, although I'll try not to undercredit him either.

Bungee Gum and Texture Surprise really are his only two abilities. Although there is a bit of a misconception here. What's dangerous about Hisoka is not his nen ability.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 16:47   Link #4195
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

I don't worry about where the story can go because Togashi is kinda blowing his load on the King and his trio of Bodyguards when it comes to power levels. Have we all forgotten that Nen fights aren't won and lost based on who has a higher measure of aura? Fights involving Nen are all about strategy and how opponents match up. Hisoka is a perfect example. His aura is pretty large but it's nowhere near the bodyguards or the King. I still think he could give any of them a run for their money.

Bungee Gum and Texture surprise are highly adaptable abilities. They may not seem overpowering or anything but they are certainly deadly in almost any situation with Hisoka using them. As Dengar said, Hisoka isn't dangerous because of Nen, he's dangerous because he is a psychopathic battle genius who gets stronger depending on how dangerous his opponent is. I think if he fought the King he would lose lets get that out there, but I only think he would lose because his boner at fighting such a powerful opponent would keep getting in his way.

So no I see no reason to worry about where the story can go after this. No spoilers but I'll just say the next arc after the chimera arc is very interesting (at least it was to me) and entertaining. There is also still plenty of mystery behind the Hunter association.

Also, we've never seen Ging's power level, and wasn't it stated (I can't remember where so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that Netero was no longer considered the strongest anymore? He is still considered in the top tier but he's no longer quite as far and away the strongest like he was in his earlier days (relatively speaking, he was probably 55-60 when he gained the title of strongest hunter, but he's pretty damn old now). There are still plenty of top tier Nen users who may not have an aura as overwhelming as some of the ants but they probably have lifetimes more experience then any of the ants, so who's more dangerous?
Old 2014-02-19, 16:59   Link #4196
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu View Post
Considering how irrelevant Cheetu has become, especially after he was actually defeated, i think this is more a case of Togashi going "eh, he has no purpose anymore, how can i quickly get rid of him?".
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 17:05   Link #4197
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

The whole "Netero is no longer the strongest" thing is a bit of a misconception that has to do with the fact that he almost never sees any action, and Netero himself actually severely understates his own strength.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 19:24   Link #4198
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
Considering how irrelevant Cheetu has become, especially after he was actually defeated, i think this is more a case of Togashi going "eh, he has no purpose anymore, how can i quickly get rid of him?".
I see it more as Togashi saying" unless you're an absolute beast, you don't even matter - that's how big things have gotten. " Method of death, so-called new ability - not even worth the trouble.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 19:45   Link #4199
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

My interpretation was more along the lines of Togashi setting up a wild card just to make him go out anti climatically. Though if I'm honest, Cheetu never quite convinced me he would make a difference. Still don't know what happened to Gyro though.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 20:34   Link #4200
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
There are still plenty of top tier Nen users who may not have an aura as overwhelming as some of the ants but they probably have lifetimes more experience then any of the ants, so who's more dangerous?
Well, that's the question, isn't it? You yourself said Hisoka would lose to the king, even despite his greater experience/trickiness. Are there really any other hunters out there we would put above Hisoka? Maybe Ging and the Zoldyck patriarchs, possibly Chrollo? Are they strong enough to beat the king with their strategy? If the answer is no, then any confrontation with these characters is inevitably anticlimactic (assuming the good guys beat the ants here).

The only way to get around this problem is if, in a future arc, everyone gets some kind of power up that puts things on a more mysterious/unpredictable playing field. As you said, I think Togashi is going overboard with the nen levels of the ants, unless of course he never intends for Hisoka and Chrollo to be enemies again, or for there to be another big villain at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
People are also giving Hisoka a bit too much credit, although I'll try not to undercredit him either.

Bungee Gum and Texture Surprise really are his only two abilities. Although there is a bit of a misconception here. What's dangerous about Hisoka is not his nen ability.
I get what you mean, but you've gotta admit there was a LOT of foreshadowing of some future battle with him when Gon is "ready." This arc is kind of taking the wind out of his "intimidation sails," if you ask me. Doesn't seem so challenging compared to the incomparably OP Pitou Gon is about to face off against.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen