AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2007-11-20, 22:57   Link #1
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Who should be Setsuna's #1 rival?

Well it seems as if our little anorexic Shinn lookalike has many challengers fighting for the honor of being the Blue Gundam's greatest rival...

First you got Graham Acre, with his Char-esqueness and spirited personality...No Gundam will stand between him and his moment in history...

Then you got Sergei Smirnov, the honorable oldy but a goody...Who fights not for the love, but because he has too...Because it has to be done...

Obviously Ali Al...Who seemingly destroyed his fate in God, and sent him on a destructive path of hidden pain...Ali fights for the highest bidder and sees Dollar-$igns where others see faithful challenges..

Finally his own "team-mate" (and I use that lightly) Tiera Erde...Tiera is primed to be a future boss IMO and a changed Setsuna (which I expect at some point) will be the bane to his goal of strictly following CB's rules (as he interprets it)...

So who do you find to be the character best suited for being Setsuna's #1 rival?

As for myself I'll go with Graham Acre over the rest because he seems to be the type of character that makes others throw their baggage outta the window and fight for the moment, for the challenge, for the balance of history...

I do have some opinions on why the others should or shouldn't be, but I'll wait to see if the thread gets going first...I'll bypass the polling option for once as I'd like to see a little discussion and reasoning over just a popularity clickfest (Not that I wouldn't click Graham in a second^^)...

K, peoples...Chat it up...
Old 2007-11-20, 23:01   Link #2
Same_Shark

After seeing episode 7, I honestly think it may be Tieria. He seems to be forgetting that he's no better than the rest of the Gundam Meisters which may lead to his death by Setsuna's hands
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 23:11   Link #3
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

You forgot about the "ace" Patrick Corlasawar!
Seriously though I see Graham as more of a rival type, and well he is blonde, and looking at some of the past Gundam blonde seems to become the rival. Graham also seems want to battle with Exia more then other characters, so yeah he does feel more like a rival to me.
Old 2007-11-20, 23:27   Link #4
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

I actually think Graham will be Setsuna's 'rival,' in the sense that they will battle each while constantly improving. Sergei just doesn't fit the role in my mind, he is highly skilled and most certainly wise but now that he is in command of Soma I see him acting more as a babysitter for the duration of the series until she and Allelujah/Hallelujah either kill each other or run away to Vegas.

Ali... while he just isn't rival material, he's mid-boss, plain and simple. Just going by the background information provided in the series thus far, he's falling into the manipulative shadow villian category with little to no effort. That just leaves Tiera... Sh-he seems to be of the mindset that good will only come from blindly following the Veda(sp?)'s predictions and I suspect that even when the rest of the Gundam Miesters find a better way, he will stay det on the computer's path. More so, thanks to his threats of killing pilots that endanger the Gundam secrets (don't think Setsuna's the only one he'd shoot in the back!), he's prime to be the final boss, imo.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 23:32   Link #5
monster

Well, Graham seems more interested in the gundam than the pilot. Who's to say in a future episode he won't tackle any of the other gundam just because they're there?

Sergei doesn't seem to be the kind to be caught up in a "rivalry", per se. And with Allelujah's connection to Soma, that's who he's more likely to interact with of all the gundam pilots.

So, for now, Ali and Tieria would be in lead of alll the people mentioned in the opening list. But I do hope they won't turn Tieria into an antagonist (not necessarily having to do with good or bad). At least make him be a loner, you know, do his own things if he just can't be "friends" with the others, but not a villain.

So right now, I'll click on the imaginary poll option and vote for Ali.

P.S. Then again, he (Ali) might have something to do with Setsuna's development by dying mid-season.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 23:39   Link #6
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Out of the 4 choices: Tiera Erde.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 23:45   Link #7
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper View Post
I actually think Graham will be Setsuna's 'rival,' in the sense that they will battle each while constantly improving. Sergei just doesn't fit the role in my mind, he is highly skilled and most certainly wise but now that he is in command of Soma I see him acting more as a babysitter for the duration of the series until she and Allelujah/Hallelujah either kill each other or run away to Vegas.

Ali... while he just isn't rival material, he's mid-boss, plain and simple. Just going by the background information provided in the series thus far, he's falling into the manipulative shadow villian category with little to no effort. That just leaves Tiera... Sh-he seems to be of the mindset that good will only come from blindly following the Veda(sp?)'s predictions and I suspect that even when the rest of the Gundam Miesters find a better way, he will stay det on the computer's path. More so, thanks to his threats of killing pilots that endanger the Gundam secrets (don't think Setsuna's the only one he'd shoot in the back!), he's prime to be the final boss, imo.

Quite poignant Mr. Looseleaf...I too see Ali as a mid-boss type but this is more about whether others consider or simply want him to be Setsuna's #1 rival (He surley has enuff of a connection)...Also as you stated, Tiera's a macintosh-hag, plus he doesn't look like the type to be influenced by any words...I too believe it will take a beamsword to the cockpit for him to get his just desserts...I think he's gonna need an upgrade though for boss status (Yeah Virtue's got the power, but it's not final boss material)...

So you're still gonna keep us shrouded in mystery over your hiatus huh? You must have been lost in a good a$$ book Mr_Paper^^...

Quote:
You forgot about the "ace" Patrick Corlasawar!
Yeah hyperlion, go ahead and throw Patrick into the discussion, I'm sure there are some warped minds that want him to get owned by Setsuna again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert
Well, Graham seems more interested in the gundam than the pilot.
Well since Setsuna "Is the Gundam", that means he qualifies ...
Old 2007-11-20, 23:50   Link #8
Alice16uy
Alice16uy

I'm going to say Graham since I want him to have more screen time XD
Alice16uy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 01:19   Link #9
Meehlimo
Gundam Otaku

Send a message via AIM to Meehlimo Send a message via MSN to Meehlimo
Yo know... this series lacks the masked gundam character....
Old 2007-11-21, 01:48   Link #10
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Not every Gundam had a masked character. Then again, Setsuna's rival? Shit, watch out for Kira, he might come back and git ya!

Well, he might just kidnap Marina first, who knows!

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 02:02   Link #11
ashlay
the red string of fate

I dunno...assuming they even go that route (actually looking somewhat unlikely right now), I'm thinking

Setsuna-Ali
Lockon-Graham
Allelujah-Soma
Tieria-?

just based on backgrounds and personality types (tieria still hasn't shown any real weakness or even character oddities, other than being a jerk and liking the color pink, so can't really say who'd make a good foil for him like the other 3) so yeah, Ali works best right now. He's got a past with the character, is the closest to finding out who he is, and his jeering excited nature is the opposite of the usually cold Setsuna.
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 02:54   Link #12
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
It's a toss-up between Graham and Tieria for me. But Setsuna still doesn't consider Graham his "enemy", if you may; the very few encounters they had it was more of a wtf moment for Setsuna other than seriously thinking that the guy really is after him...yet. His run-in with Tieria in ep 7 would probably change Setsuna's mind about screwing his job as a Meister, and maybe he may or may not "change" for the better. So maybe next time they see each other again Setsuna will now see Graham as the enemy and not just some random guy with a very severe case of Gundamania... seriously though, Graham would probably be the main rival for Setsuna, and after the ep 7 incident I believe that Setsuna will now start taking things much more seriously after being berated for almost getting themselves killed because of Setsuna's sort of "emo" attack because of his former mentor. Setsuna might face Ali some point in time, but all I'm getting here is some miniboss vibes as well. Ali I think is the key to Setsuna's growth as a Gundam Meister, and seriously I think Setsuna would also try to get the emotional baggage out of the way first before finally being able to get out of the shadow Ali created for him...the dark past he has always dealt with before he met RX 78 2.0... with that out of the way Setsuna would have no problem dealing with Graham because he has dealt with his emotional issues with Ali and would not let his past interfere with his job, or something like that. So Setsuna would fight with Ali, before Setsuna could get to fight Graham in full rival fashion.

Tieria I think would be a major villain before the series is over. But I also think he and Setsuna would probably have to fight each other again at some point, maybe because Tieria would do something that would either shake his beliefs to the very roots, or that his fight would Ali and Graham would make him believe that what he was believing in all along was just some major lie, or that someone who was very close to him would be killed by Tieria (unfortunately, I feel that this sorta points to Lockon and/or Marina, whoever comes first... )...then Tieria would reveal that he is Aeolia Schoenberg or some damn thing then everything will turn really nasty.

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 03:40   Link #13
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Rival...not main enemy? So I guess Graham takes that honor. He seems like that kind of character who will always push Setsuna to his limit and make him improve. Ali is more like the enemy Setsuna must defeat
Old 2007-11-21, 05:53   Link #14
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

For now i will say Graham and Ali-Al something.It is still too early though.There might be a future character that can kick Setsuna's arse.The action between Graham and Set-chan are too short.That is one thing i dont like about Gundam 00.Too much talking.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 06:10   Link #15
patnam

i don't see any Char's parody, he may have a good rival to Setsuna...
patnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 06:18   Link #16
Leon_Lelouch
ミシャだけ

Hmm.... I will say that Graham is fit to be Setsuna's rival
Leon_Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 07:57   Link #17
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meehlimo View Post
Yo know... this series lacks the masked gundam character....
I'm not saying this show should, or will have one, though already have seven episodes, the possibilities that one appearing are still pretty high. I'd say it's just 50/50 if we ever see one.

Personally, i'd love for one to appear. I just don't think it's right at this moment in the story.

As for the main question, at the moment the main rival would be Ali, though over-all i'd say Graham.
Old 2007-11-21, 09:21   Link #18
qx123

I hope setsuna will not be the main character.
He is weak for now. Lame to kill his whoever mum.

Though the sergei and graham are pretty respectable characters.
qx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-21, 10:09   Link #19
mikeabundo
mikeabundo.com

Send a message via ICQ to mikeabundo Send a message via AIM to mikeabundo Send a message via MSN to mikeabundo Send a message via Yahoo to mikeabundo
Anyone remember the RX-78 GP02 from Gundam 0083 and the Providence from Gundam Seed? Virtue has "ironically-named bad-guy Gundam" written all over it.
Old 2007-11-21, 10:14   Link #20
Honey_and_Cleaver

Tiere is the best, who is stronger to match another gundam anyway.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote