AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-27, 22:17   Link #1081
chinaboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Kurumi is definitely a lot more complex and that's what makes her interesting. But she wouldn't be nearly as much fun if she wasn't with Sawako. I do hope they become good friends after all of this.
Y'know, I think a second series featuring the quartet of Sawako, Ayane, Chizuru, and Kurumi could be really entertaining. Sawako as, of course, the innocent who makes accurate, sometimes embarrassing, observations; Chizuru as the comic relief; and the natural tension between the soft steel of Kurumi and the sensual steel of Yano. The idea of the two of them defending Sawako against the world is quite delicious.
chinaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 23:09   Link #1082
darktruth

In a different spirit relating to this thread today, I just received my order of the first DVD volume of the series , photos below. There's also an application ticket for a special collector's artbox to be sent to those who collects all the rest from future DVD volumes (first press edition I assume). Sucks I don't have an address in Japan but I could get a person I know from an anime club I'm in who's currently living in Japan to do it for me XD.

From what I read on the application ticket, there will be 8 DVD volumes in total and volumes 1-7 first press edition will contain the rest of the application tickets. Deadline to send in all 7 tickets to receive the artbox is 31st of August 2010. Also, bonus features on the DVD are creditless opening and ending animations and a spin off audio drama of the series as well as a cast talk right after it. Haven't listened to the spin off audio drama yet but will probably post up a synopsis once I do listen to it.

Spoiler for KimiTodo DVD Goodies:

Just listened to the spin off audio drama on the DVD, synopsis is below:

Spoiler:

Great spin off story that gives a little insight into Sawako's and Kazehaya's time back in middle high school. looking forward to more spin off audio dramas on the future DVD volumes.

Last edited by darktruth; 2009-12-28 at 02:16.
darktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 04:26   Link #1083
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Thanks for the images. My copy of the first DVD should be arriving any day now.

Also, does anyone know if the mangaka had anything to do with the drama CD?
Old 2009-12-28, 05:25   Link #1084
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Finally caught up. I must say, I didn't think I would love this show so much prior to starting it, hell, I even enjoy the sparkles, bubbles and pentagons now.

Sawako is just too adorable, it's been a while since I saw such a totally innocent character. But she's not the only good character in this show, I actually don't think I dislike any character here. Yes, even Kurumi. I'm glad so many people enjoy her character, I thought she'd definitely be hated by most. Her interaction with Sawako is just great, every moment when her "mask" is about to break is gold .Sure, she's a bitch, but she's a lovable one IMO. At least for now, maybe her ploys will get worse in the future.

I also love Ayane. She seems like the smartest character in the series, at least when it comes to figuring out other people. I loved her little conversation with Kurumi in ep 12. I also enjoy all her teasing, and of course the fact she's voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro is definitely a plus. I hope she'll get more screentime in the future
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 11:51   Link #1085
darktruth

LOL, little sister did a parody pic of the DVD cover for volume 1. Just have to post this XD.

Spoiler for alternate DVD cover:
darktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-28, 13:16   Link #1086
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
oh god they nailed Ryuu's line about only loving Chizu perfectly with the same feeling it had in the manga and the follow up explanation about romantic feelings were again spot on i had the same feelings watching as i did reading it and Kazehaya away from Kurumi towards Ryuu and Sawako was done quite well and they left off where they should have.

Very satisfied with the adaptation so far Sawako is fighter and Kurumi is learning that the hard way.
Old 2009-12-28, 14:12   Link #1087
MikiMata

At first, I found Sawako's extreme naivete exasperating, since she is so dense about other people. But her interactions with Kurumi have substantially improved my opinion of her. So many other shoujo heroines, when confronted by a girl like Kurumi, will back off and agree to "support" her, because they would be afraid of looking bad. But Sawako instantly knew she couldn't do that, even if she wasn't clear why. She may be clueless and totally lacking self-confidence, but she is true to her own heart. It is her total honesty that makes her so, well, "refreshing!"

Kazehaya is probably the cutest shoujo guy ever. I do wish he'd be a bit more aggressive sometimes. But that is what makes this story original. How many times do we need to see the shy girl and the super-flirty playboy type that breaks down her outer defenses? Granted, it can be frustrating to watch a romance between two shy people, because everything moves so slowly. But it remains one of the most adorable relationships I've ever seen.

I really hope they continue to follow the manga as closely as they have been. There are certain recent chapters I am dying to see animated.
MikiMata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 10:36   Link #1088
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Volume 1 sold 5-6k in its first week. Was there a Blu-Ray version that was going to be released as well? Because these are definitely lower numbers than I thought would be appearing. Or maybe shoujo anime doesn't do well on DVD. *shrug* Mystifying when the 3rd E8 DVD sold double that...
Old 2009-12-31, 13:43   Link #1089
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Volume 1 sold 5-6k in its first week. Was there a Blu-Ray version that was going to be released as well? Because these are definitely lower numbers than I thought would be appearing. Or maybe shoujo anime doesn't do well on DVD.
Correct. Shoujo typically doesn't do well on DVD at all (the target audience is not the one that buys expensive, collectible merchandise). Kimi ni Todoke is actually selling well in comparison, although the price is significantly lower than most anime DVDs.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 14:02   Link #1090
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Was there a Blu-Ray version that was going to be released as well?
Nope no blu-ray release, which is a huge shame.
Old 2009-12-31, 15:01   Link #1091
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Nope no blu-ray release, which is a huge shame.
That is a huge bummer. Luckily Eclipse's are good enough to archive. A BD would be prime though, even if it is an upscale.
Old 2009-12-31, 17:43   Link #1092
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktruth View Post
In a different spirit relating to this thread today, I just received my order of the first DVD volume of the series , photos below. There's also an application ticket for a special collector's artbox to be sent to those who collects all the rest from future DVD volumes (first press edition I assume). Sucks I don't have an address in Japan but I could get a person I know from an anime club I'm in who's currently living in Japan to do it for me XD.

From what I read on the application ticket, there will be 8 DVD volumes in total and volumes 1-7 first press edition will contain the rest of the application tickets. Deadline to send in all 7 tickets to receive the artbox is 31st of August 2010. Also, bonus features on the DVD are creditless opening and ending animations and a spin off audio drama of the series as well as a cast talk right after it. Haven't listened to the spin off audio drama yet but will probably post up a synopsis once I do listen to it.
Ouch! That means that cdjapan is going to get a lot of business. I pity those people. Having to preorder at cdjapan and paying higher prices to get a stamp to put on a postcard to get to the artbox.

It's a shame that there's no BD release. But 5k is nothing to sneeze at either. Maybe in a few years one might materialize. At least it means we will get a decent closure if it can maintain its momentum in sales.

Last edited by orion; 2009-12-31 at 18:01.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-31, 19:34   Link #1093
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Well, on the bright side, it outsold Darker the Black 2 by a considerable margin. 2ch got owned.
Old 2009-12-31, 19:51   Link #1094
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Well, on the bright side, it outsold Darker the Black 2 by a considerable margin. 2ch got owned.
Not surprising. First season placed 6th in the top-selling Blu-ray discs in Japan. Many people would want to wait for the Blu-ray release. I'm mostly surprised about 'The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya' still selling good considering Endless Eight destroyed the whole series.
Old 2010-01-01, 02:26   Link #1095
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

*sigh* I forgot DTB is Blu-Ray oriented, blame my lapse of memory on New Year euphoria.

That 3rd E8 figure as almost the same as the 1st and 2nd. Even when KyoAni rickrolls you, they still end up selling. While a good title like KnT doesn't get those kind of numbers. *shrug* I don't think I'll ever understand the DVD/Blu-Ray market, it doesn't seem to make sense.
Old 2010-01-02, 01:19   Link #1096
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I won't pretend I'm religiously following this show like Cross Game, for example - too many things about it don't click for me to take it that seriously. Still - it's a fun watch and it's I.G., so I do follow it - and I must confess I find the continuing impulse among so many viewers to defend Kurumi quite amusing. Basically, she's been sabotaging Kazehaya's romantic life since he was was 13, stalking him, and now in addition to trying to derail his relationship with the first girl he's fallen for she's spreading lies about three different girls and denying it in order to further her ends. I guess cuteness buys you a lot of forgiveness these days.

Kurumi herself may be a big ball of moe, but what she's doing isn't - it's mean-spirited, petty and downright venal. It's the kind of thing that makes high school a misery for so many kids who have done nothing to deserve it - one remove from the sort of bullying and tormenting that causes girls to become anorexics and boys to become hikikomori (or off themselves). It's in no way innocent and in no way trivial - the girl has some serious mental problems.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 01:33   Link #1097
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I won't pretend I'm religiously following this show like Cross Game, for example - too many things about it don't click for me to take it that seriously. Still - it's a fun watch and it's I.G., so I do follow it - and I must confess I find the continuing impulse among so many viewers to defend Kurumi quite amusing. Basically, she's been sabotaging Kazehaya's romantic life since he was was 13, stalking him, and now in addition to trying to derail his relationship with the first girl he's fallen for she's spreading lies about three different girls and denying it in order to further her ends. I guess cuteness buys you a lot of forgiveness these days.

Kurumi herself may be a big ball of moe, but what she's doing isn't - it's mean-spirited, petty and downright venal. It's the kind of thing that makes high school a misery for so many kids who have done nothing to deserve it - one remove from the sort of bullying and tormenting that causes girls to become anorexics and boys to become hikikomori (or off themselves). It's in no way innocent and in no way trivial - the girl has some serious mental problems.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that doesn't fully get the Kurumi love...

As for DVD sales... Hey, at least the anime hit the magical 5K number, which I've heard is the number needed to hit in order to "break even". So, as long as Kimi no Todoke is simply profitable, I'm fairly happy with that... especially since this anime isn't getting much hype, from what I've seen, sadly.
Old 2010-01-02, 01:42   Link #1098
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

In my case while I do still believe she has way too many mental and possibly moral issues to contend with, I won't so easily write her off as irredeemable.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 01:47   Link #1099
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
In my case while I do still believe she has way too many mental and possibly moral issues to contend with, I won't so easily write her off as irredeemable.
Oh, I agree with you there, yes.

Kurumi does show brief glimmers of possibly turning out good.
Old 2010-01-02, 01:53   Link #1100
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Irredeemable is a big word - and one that I didn't use. But there's a lot of real estate between irredeemable and the kind of free pass she seems to be getting from some folks. Anyone who underestimates the power of this kind of harassment to make a kid's HS experience miserable is fooling themselves. Irredeemable, no - but this is still pretty serious stuff she's pulling. We're talking pretty respectable mental disorder here.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
production i.g, romance, shoujo