AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-19, 04:27   Link #1181
Father Hentai

Well, I admit I had the same impression but thinking a second time I don't think it is that bad. Is there a point what you want to say if you are disappointed? I think spending the most time together is more important than already being in the same household. They are not that long together that sharing the same household is such a priority.

I am just saying this because in my personal life my girlfriend and I moved together after five years (because of her study and my carreer plans (military/civil)).
Old 2011-04-19, 04:31   Link #1182
magnuskn

I guess I just wanted Sheryl to be as happy as possible during that time intervall. Also, it was nice to point out to Ranka fans that she was returning to a situtation where Sheryl and Alto already were living together.
Spoiler for Movie stuff:

Last edited by magnuskn; 2011-04-20 at 01:54.
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 04:55   Link #1183
Father Hentai

She seems quite happy happy with the current moment and the only moment where she was unhappy again was at the end of episode 23 when she heard part of the conversation between Alto and Klan.
Old 2011-04-19, 04:58   Link #1184
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
She seems quite happy happy with the current moment and the only moment where she was unhappy again was at the end of episode 23 when she heard part of the conversation between Alto and Klan.
Is this going somewhere...?
Old 2011-04-19, 05:21   Link #1185
Father Hentai

Yes, to episode 24
Old 2011-04-19, 05:30   Link #1186
magnuskn

Well, I'd say it goes to after episode 25.

Eh, knowing that Sheryl and Alto are meant to end up together makes shipping arguments much easier.
Old 2011-04-19, 06:24   Link #1187
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, I'd say it goes to after episode 25.

Eh, knowing that Sheryl and Alto are meant to end up together makes shipping arguments much easier.
Don't know you whom you are pointing at the moment with the shipping argument but I supported a harem relationship at the end even though it is AxS at the end.
Old 2011-04-19, 09:20   Link #1188
magnuskn

Spoiler for Movie stuff:

Last edited by magnuskn; 2011-04-20 at 01:54.
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 22:35   Link #1189
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I'm not entirely certain what to make of this episode due to potential translations issues. Has anyone got both the Central and Thora versions of the rooftop scene for comparison? (Also, does Alto seriously say that whatever they're drinking isn't alcoholic in the original Japanese? Going by how Sheryl reacted to the stuff it clearly was.)

While it's understandable for her to be thinking the way she is due to her mental state, I think Sheryl showed poor understanding of Alto when she suspected him of simply pitying her. This is Alto we're talking about. Since when does he pity others? It's not in his nature to give or accept pity.

I can imagine in the past viewers may have gotten a very negative impression of Alto from this episode. For a while it almost seems as if he really is just pitying Sheryl and that he really wants to be with Ranka... and prior to the rooftop scene it almost seems as if he might break his promise and go after her. Given the magnitude of the promise he made to Sheryl I can imagine that leaving a really bad impression. Thankfully later events recast the scene in a different light.
^

I don't have Central's, but THORA's is pretty accurate for that scene, IMHO. The whole conversation is fairly ambiguous, especially if you think they're just talking about the two girls at that point (hint: they're not).

RC had a pretty good discussion about Alto for this episode, with some excellent contributions from AS members. Particularly recommend this one by musouka. (I wonder if she posted it here back when the episode aired...)

edit: ah, and the alcohol thing. "Even though you might say that's not alcohol" (literal).
That line about whatever they were drinking not having alcohol is really dumb considering that everything else indicates that is...

I seem to have a problem with forgetting what I thought of major events in my favorite series when I first saw them. This can be kind of annoying because I know my opinions on series often change with rewatching, most of my top favorites weren't instant favorites and grew on me with rewatching.

It's interesting to note that a lot of Ranka/Alto fans seemed happy with what they thought Alto's actions in this episode implied. Personally I think it would reflect really badly on him if his feelings for Sheryl turned out not to be genuine and he abandoned her to go after Ranka instead considering the situation Sheryl is in. Granted this is coming from someone who is a Sheryl fan, but I'm not exactly a fanatical one (I was originally an Alto Ranka fan and only switched to being an Alto Sheryl fan after I'd rewatched the series a couple times).
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 01:24   Link #1190
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
That line about whatever they were drinking not having alcohol is really dumb considering that everything else indicates that is...
Unless it's a 'non-alcoholic' champagne ala non-alcoholic beer? I assume they added it because, in Japan, you're not allowed to drink til the age of 20...

Quote:
It's interesting to note that a lot of Ranka/Alto fans seemed happy with what they thought Alto's actions in this episode implied. Personally I think it would reflect really badly on him if his feelings for Sheryl turned out not to be genuine and he abandoned her to go after Ranka instead considering the situation Sheryl is in. Granted this is coming from someone who is a Sheryl fan, but I'm not exactly a fanatical one (I was originally an Alto Ranka fan and only switched to being an Alto Sheryl fan after I'd rewatched the series a couple times).
I'm actually glad I wasn't around back then - though I agree with you in that it's pretty amazing what a few years, interviews, a rewatch and several movies can do to change one's view of everything. I'm so much happier with how Kawamori et al wrote the characters now than I was two years ago, though I'm still annoyed about Michel...

Though speaking of the movies, @magnus, I thought we agreed to talk about those without spoiler tags only in the movie thread?

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 01:54   Link #1191
magnuskn

Quote:
Though speaking of the movies, @magnus, I thought we agreed to talk about those without spoiler tags only in the movie thread?
Ooops. Corrected.
Old 2011-04-20, 05:13   Link #1192
Father Hentai

Quote:
Unless it's a 'non-alcoholic' champagne ala non-alcoholic beer? I assume they added it because, in Japan, you're not allowed to drink til the age of 20...
last makes more sense. non-alcoholic beer or non-alcoholic champagne won't make you boozed.
Old 2011-04-20, 09:53   Link #1193
Zenithlea

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67

last makes more sense. non-alcoholic beer or non-alcoholic champagne won't make you boozed.
Yeah well, in the future maybe they can drink before 20?
Cause for non-alcoholic beverage, she still looked pretty boozed up.

I actually thought it's just the translation that could have been misinterperating since technically in japanese, "sake" could be construed as the actual drink of rice wine itself or a vague term for alcohol. (if I'm not mistaken) So when Alto said it wasn't "sake" maybe he meant the rice wine. (and that stuff has a higher alcohol content compared to just some bubbly.)
Zenithlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 09:57   Link #1194
magnuskn

Well, she simply could have eaten and drunk too fast, that makes people sleepy, too.
Old 2011-04-20, 10:11   Link #1195
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Hm...learn something new everyday...from Wikipedia:

Quote:
A non-alcoholic beverage is a beverage that contains less than 0.5% alcohol by volume....

Sodas, juices, and sparkling cider contain no alcohol, but non-alcoholic beer and non-alcoholic wine undergo an alcohol-removal process that may leave a small amount of alcohol.
So perhaps Sheryl (1) drank most of that bottle, AND (2) is a pretty weak drinker... Drinking most of it before eating would only have exacerbated the effects.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-04-20, 10:18   Link #1196
Zenithlea

Lol, could happen in the world of manga and anime I guess. You always see the really exaggerated low alcohol tolerance gags where a drop of it practically knocks the person out.
Zenithlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 22:07   Link #1197
Darthtabby

Quote:
That might well be it. Anime companies seem to really want to avoid admitting underage drinking in their shows -I'm remembering the "high quality imported juice" that showed up towards the end of Minami-ke). I wonder why that of all things is considered such a big deal though considering all the other stuff that happens in anime...

Quote:
I'm actually glad I wasn't around back then - though I agree with you in that it's pretty amazing what a few years, interviews, a rewatch and several movies can do to change one's view of everything. I'm so much happier with how Kawamori et al wrote the characters now than I was two years ago, though I'm still annoyed about Michel...
In spite of all the support the pairing has received lately I actually worry a bit about whether my current shipping bias towards Alto/Sheryl may be distorting how I see things. I've taken a lot of pride in my ability to remain relatively objective when analysing things rather than simply seeing everything the way I want it to be.

Gyah, I think I need to try to talk more about things other than my favorite ship.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 02:10   Link #1198
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
In spite of all the support the pairing has received lately I actually worry a bit about whether my current shipping bias towards Alto/Sheryl may be distorting how I see things. I've taken a lot of pride in my ability to remain relatively objective when analysing things rather than simply seeing everything the way I want it to be.

Gyah, I think I need to try to talk more about things other than my favorite ship.
It's actually pretty difficult to talk about Macross Frontier without talking about the triangle, because Alto's development is built up around his relationships with Sheryl and Ranka. Even his changing feelings about the Frontier throughout the series are tied to his interactions with both girls. Ranka's role in it is summed up pretty well by the comment by musouka that I linked to earlier (I'll quote it here this time).

Spoiler for length:

Sheryl's role, on the other hand, starts in episode 5 at the latest, when she marvels at all the wonderful things she sees on Frontier, followed up by their conversation in episode 6.

This is why I get frustrated when all discussion pertains only to who Alto should/will pick, or whether so-and-so deserves Alto or not, because there's a whole truckload of character development that falls by the wayside in those discussions.

(And yes, I know you all discussed it three years ago (well, Darth and I and a few others didn't)...knew I should have just concentrated on getting the commentaries done instead of seeing people go round in circles just like they did back then...)

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-04-21, 05:26   Link #1199
magnuskn

Quote:
This is why I get frustrated when all discussion pertains only to who Alto should/will pick, or whether so-and-so deserves Alto or not, because there's a whole truckload of character development that falls by the wayside in those discussions.
Hey, I've been instigating a ton of character discussion over the last years, especially of Alto, who has been maligned quite frequently by several people.

Although I do not really agree with what musouka wrote about his running away all the time... but that is the topic for another discussion, which I think I already had with her a year ago or so.
Old 2011-04-21, 05:36   Link #1200
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

^
Then what do you think Alto was referring to when he said, in ep. 23, that "I may certainly have been running away all this time?"

- Patrick Stokes

Tags
macross frontier, re-watch