AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-05-03, 20:19   Link #21
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I thought about including Kyou/Botan but decided to keep it short. And good call on Caro/Friedrich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
By that token aren't nearly all modern anime girls moe? I'd consider someone like Yune in Ikoku Meiro no Croisee as moe not just because of her incredibly cute character model, but because she also encourages everyone around her (and the viewer) to want to protect and support her. As another example, I think of Yuno in Hidamari Sketch as moe, but not Sae or even Miyako. I don't see Konata and Kagami in Lucky*Star as moe, either, though Tsukasa certainly is. How about Haruhi?

Otherwise what's the difference between moe and kawaii?
This may get complicated because there’s more than one way moe has been defined.

By one definition, you’re absolutely correct. And given that the Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura) won the first Saimoe tournament in Japan back in 2002, I also think this definition has a long history.

However, I don’t think this definition can capture a lot of the characters who are considered moe. You say you don’t find Kagami Hiiragi from Lucky Star moe and by that definition, she indeed isn’t – yet like Sakura, she’s won a Saimoe tournament (specifically 2008).

Nor is moe just “cute”. Aoki Ume’s character design aside, Tomoe Mami (Madoka Magica) is not a particularly cute character and she’s also a Saimoe winner.

I consider both Kagami and Mami to be moe characters. As are Yuno and Yune. In all cases, I think that because of a particular “warm” feeling I have towards the character, but it’s not the same feeling in all four cases.

You already nailed the feeling associated with Yuno and Yune so I won’t go further into that other than to say I think this “arm” of moe also covers many tragic characters.

In regards to Kagami, I think the video I posted of Touka from Utawarerumono may prove useful here. Just to jog your memory, Touka is the bird-eared women:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kSF2p3jkx8

I suppose you could call Touka cute. Her “I AM A BODYGUARD!” is even more cute, but it isn’t “there” yet. The way she goes absolutely ga-ga around the Mikyuum – that’s moe. I’m not just thinking “cute”, but “Oh my God that is adorable” and I’m getting warm fuzzy feelings and it feels like my brain is kind of melting. I’d define that as a “moe reaction”. And of course, that scene is kind of meta in that Touka herself appears to be having such a reaction. I suppose you could say the sheer intensity of it is what separates it from “kawaii”. Of course, there is a grey area between the two.

Several of Kagami’s behaviours are known to trigger such reactions among tsundere enthusiasts. The bit with her getting embarrassed while reading yaoi doujinshi at Comiket is one of the most notable, but there’s a lot of ways in which she tries to cover up the fact she’s just a little bit of an otaku that qualify.

Then there’s Mami. As mentioned earlier, I don’t think Mami is even all that cute by anime standards. Yet I and many other seem to consider her moe. If I had to cite what makes Mami moe, it’s a combination of warmth, femininity, and “charm” – though I’d be hard pressed to define exactly what I mean by charm.

A character that can invoke any of the three feelings is “moe” to me, and that indeed covers, many, many characters. In many cases, I think the question isn’t so much “is a character moe” as “to what degree are they moe?”.

I feel that pets can amplify any of the three feelings, but particularly the second branch ("brain melt").

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-03, 20:59   Link #22
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Sadly can't find a vid of Chiyo riding Mr Tadakichi so a pic will have to do

The sketchbook fan that I am won't resist mentioning that Sora's attraction to cat is part of her appeal,even if none are technicaly her pets

Old 2012-05-03, 22:34   Link #23
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
For sheer aesthetics, the cutest moe girl + pet combo for me would be either Madoka/Kyubey or Mami/Kyubey. Madoka Magica really did have an absolutely awesome sense of magical girl aesthetics.

But once you factor personality in, Kyubey doesn't work so well here.

So I guess I'd probably have to give it to Card Captor Sakura and Keroberos. On a pure aesthetics level, they're not far behind the Madoka pairs for me, and this magical girl familiar is a little less objectionable, shall we say.
Old 2012-05-04, 01:46   Link #24
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

But once you factor personality in, Kyubey doesn't work so well here.
I've said it before....I'll say it again:

QB SCAAAAAAAAARES MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

But he didn't officially terrify me until
Spoiler:
Old 2012-05-04, 02:47   Link #25
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
But he didn't officially terrify me until
Spoiler:
Tastes like chicken!

But yea. That was the moment when people truly realize -- "OH CRAP, what are these girls getting themselves into?!"
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 06:57   Link #26
Zeroryoko1974

Send a message via AIM to Zeroryoko1974 Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroryoko1974
Sakaki+Maya
Chiyo+Mr. Tadakichi
Misato+Pen Pen
Ryoko+Ryo-Oki/Sasami+Ryo-Oki
Anjuu+her bats
Mina+Artemis
Eiko+Mini Squid Girl
Old 2012-05-04, 07:15   Link #27
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Nodoka + Etopen

Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 08:56   Link #28
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Nanoha and Yuuno of... er... Nanoha.

... What? Yuuno was officially her pet at one point! Grr... fine...

Yuki Nagato and Achakura of Haruhi-chan.

... Achakura doesn't count as a pet? Fine, fine...

"Alien Witch" Yuki and Shamisen of... oh, it has to actually be her pet? Grr...

Tooru and Tansan of A Channel. (Note: I'm perfectly serious here. I just wanted to be a bit silly at first so this wasn't a six-word post. )
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 12:00   Link #29
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Besides the already mentioned Miu + Pannya, and Kyou and Potan.
Nyan Koi!'s Kirishima twins sisters and their two cats Tama and Noir.
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san's Nyaruko and her pet Shanta, um... I am not sure what it is exactly, but it's cute .
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 12:02   Link #30
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san's Nyaruko and her pet Shanta, um... I am not sure what it is exactly, but it's cute .
Me too thinks that it's cute to have Nyaruko pairing with an adorable Shantak.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 12:54   Link #31
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Tastes like chicken!
Looks like he'd taste more like a marshmallow!