AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-07-25, 09:20   Link #661
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Do you really need a super sonic air superiority fighter in a place where the fastest adversary is a bird of prey? LoL
Well they need something to scare the locals.
Old 2013-07-25, 09:39   Link #662
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Do you really need a super sonic air superiority fighter in a place where the fastest adversary is a bird of prey? LoL
Itami whined about not having enough firepower openly on TV, so that might the result of the higher ups making some concessions out of appearances more than necessity.

Also, we have seen that the air platoon side in the special area likes to make themselves sound cool

About the chapter, I loled at Rory's master plan at the beginning of the chapter
Old 2013-07-25, 10:03   Link #663
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Well they need something to scare the locals.
If you want to strike fear to the locals they can bring in this.

Now that was something that struck fear with it's screeching dive.
This would be second in mind.

Could you imagine the fear it will strike if it appeared in a dark age battle ground?
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-25, 19:23   Link #664
CBredbeard
Banned

I hope the military in their arrogance releases the demon god and it destroys both worlds.
CBredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-26, 01:55   Link #665
Velsy

keke, I kinda loved Rori's plan of revenge for being rude. The dark elf is going to be soo begging on her knees when she realizes what shes done. Tho I understand her clan on the verge of extinction isnt really a laughing matter. I thought she might of shat her pants when the jet flew over her head.

I always had a feeling the dragon might come back. I mean they only fended it off from the convoy, they didnt slay it. I <3 dragons, but when theres one out killing people (not invading its territory) and reaping total destruction. Slaying it is a logical cause of action. I did want to see a round 2, modern vs dragon. But who knows, they might reject her proposal until they gather more intel on the situation and land?. Surely they wont run in blindly?

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-26, 03:46   Link #666
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
We FINALLY get into Rory's head, and no surprise, it confirms the expected feelings for Itami. Unfortunately the best-laid plans of the demigoddess get ruined by an ill-timed comment by the dark elf visitor. So what does the moment-killed Rory do? Why, a bit of petty pranking, that's what.

And honestly, did we really expect that Dragon to NEVER pop up again? Because obviously it just had to start hunting another subrace of elves this time. Oi.
Old 2013-07-26, 05:25   Link #667
xandrelex

About the flame dragon, there was the cover of the light novel's Vol 2 on Baka Tuki to show the fight and the title too: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/im...lustration.jpg
I just didn't expect it to come this sooner because I heard that each Volume of the light novel are really big.
It's sad there are very few translation of this novel.
Did someone know if I can find the novel in english ? Please.
xandrelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-26, 12:06   Link #668
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Whoa. Yao is sure unlucky. Has bad luck with men (She got NTR by her best friend who stole her boyfriend, and two latter lovers died badly), her clan are an easy meal for the Flame Dragon, and she is only chosen to negotiate with the JSDF for help to sell her body in case if they won't accept her giant diamond. Now she lost her chance to get help with them all because she interrupted Rory's plans.

Also, Top Gun shout out with those F-4 pilots.
Old 2013-08-06, 02:09   Link #669
Tri-ring

You gotta love the 4 coma manga for gates.

Old 2013-08-06, 03:30   Link #670
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

^The officer has a point. Can you imagine how many otakus will attempt to get into the Gate all because cute animal-girls live there?
Old 2013-08-06, 05:46   Link #671
Tri-ring

Quote:
^The officer has a point. Can you imagine how many otakus will attempt to get into the Gate all because cute animal-girls live there?
On the other hand Japan Self Defense Force can use the photo for their recruitment posters and pamphlets. There will be a major spike in people wanting to enlist.
Old 2013-08-06, 05:53   Link #672
Awrya
U mad?

Then again, even if many enlist because of the photos, it's not like they'll be posted in the special region.

The first picture is the Loch Ness Monster, what's the second supposed to be? Some unidentified bird monster?
Old 2013-08-06, 07:05   Link #673
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post
Then again, even if many enlist because of the photos, it's not like they'll be posted in the special region.

The first picture is the Loch Ness Monster, what's the second supposed to be? Some unidentified bird monster?
As Itami has proven, never under estimate the will power of the otakus.

I think it's the moth man.
Old 2013-08-06, 07:05   Link #674
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrya View Post

Owlman or Mothman
Old 2013-08-09, 09:05   Link #675
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBredbeard View Post
I hope the military in their arrogance releases the demon god and it destroys both worlds.
I can't really picture the JSDF as being arrogant. That just doesn't work.
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 09:51   Link #676
CBredbeard
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post
I can't really picture the JSDF as being arrogant. That just doesn't work.
They haven't met any meaningful resistance since going through the gate. Even the demigod is little more than an unusually strong girl with an axe (she isn't even bulletproof and likely could be stopped with sufficient firepower). If the locals were to tell them to not do something and the military thought they had a reason to do it, they'd do it. Not that I actually expect there to be something so terrible that the might JDSF couldn't handle it. The setting sure as heck doesn't support the idea that there's a really big fish in the very tiny pond.

At any rate, fuck this manga. Just a bunch of assholes running around being jerks to one another. No one is reasonable. No one makes any compromises.
CBredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 18:28   Link #677
Top Sergeant

I disagree. The Japanese army has been very accommodating. They have even stated that one of their chief missions is to establish good relations in order to trade and gain access to resources, not by conquest. Even though they have repeatedly demonstrated that no conventional army in the Special Area can defeat them, certainly not while they are entrenched in a defensive position, they are still employing envoys.

The Fire Dragon may well be an issue, even for the Phantoms. Depends how they engage it, if they do. The Dragon shrugged off caliber .50 rounds like rainwater. I think that was a Carl Gustav they used to blast off its foreleg. Don't know how the 20mm on the F4 will do, we may see though. (I noticed the rails were empty, so if they're armed its just the cannons).

The JSDF certainly does know its is not a big fish in a tiny pond. The JSDF is far, far too small to become an army of conquest, even on a continent of medieval technology. It is a very tough fish, the toughest around, but it doesn't begin to have the manpower to take over the Empire. Crush its army, certainly. Run the place, no.

Finally, reading your last sentence, I do hope that you don't believe that compromise is always good, in and of itself, because that is patently untrue. And as I said above, the JSDF has already been compromising: the refugee camp under its protection, its expanded its PX solely to accommodate the growing local populace, and it has almost certainly (although its not been shown) expanded its hospital facilities at the base, again solely because of the local peoples. It has absolutely no obligation to do any of the above, yet it has.
Old 2013-08-09, 18:51   Link #678
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post
The JSDF certainly does know its is not a big fish in a tiny pond. The JSDF is far, far too small to become an army of conquest, even on a continent of medieval technology. It is a very tough fish, the toughest around, but it doesn't begin to have the manpower to take over the Empire. Crush its army, certainly. Run the place, no.
I'm not sure I quite agree with that. Keep in mind that we're talking about medieval population levels here. There just aren't that many people hanging around the areas that the Japanese might want to put up any meaningful kind of resistance. And hypothetically the Japanese could take their time absorbing territory, since there's so much of it.

And anybody who thinks it's impossible for numerically small number of more advanced soldiers/adventurers to dominate huge populations should remember to look back at the conquest of India and South America by Europeans.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 18:52   Link #679
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Spoiler:
Another thing to consider is that, being the oldest combat aircraft in the inventory, the F4 would be the best choice to have absent if something happened back in Japan.
Old 2013-08-09, 19:07   Link #680
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I'm not sure I quite agree with that. Keep in mind that we're talking about medieval population levels here. There just aren't that many people hanging around the areas that the Japanese might want to put up any meaningful kind of resistance. And hypothetically the Japanese could take their time absorbing territory, since there's so much of it.

And anybody who thinks it's impossible for numerically small number of more advanced soldiers/adventurers to dominate huge populations should remember to look back at the conquest of India and South America by Europeans.
Good point, but the modern Japanese military has little experience with, and essentially no infrastructure for, long distance strategic operations of any kind. That is what I was basing my statement on. They should be able to support their base, and quite a few others, but that continent on the map looks pretty big.

You are quite right to point out that numerically small number of more advanced soldiers/adventurers can dominate huge populations, but many times that was done with key local assistance: Cortez allied with tribes who hated the Aztecs, and the British Indian Army having many regiments of Indians, Nepalese and other peoples in the area.

Also, I hope the JSDF leaders recall lessons from military history where more primitive armies defeated more technologically advance ones, such as the British at Islandwana, the Italians in Ethiopia, and the US Army at the Wabash. Arrogance is never a good ally!

Tags
fantasy, harem, military science fiction