AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-02, 01:19   Link #241
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by !no-K View Post
Heights are

Sawako - 5'5"
Mio - 5'3"
Mugi - 5'2" (one cm taller than Yui)
Yui - 5'2"
Ritsu - 5'0"
Azusa - 4'11"
So much for good memory.

Should've checked it before I posted that.
Old 2010-10-11, 15:08   Link #242
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Send a message via MSN to WBoon
Oh, poor Tsumugi. You were so much more neglected than anyone else. But hey, at least your personality wasn't totally destroyed by the money-grubbing hands of KyoAni like some other character.

Anyway, here to reminiscent on fond memories. Here's a great interacting scene between Tsumugi and Mio. It's what got me to like Tsumugi in the first place.

Just in case the change of expressions on Tsumugi's face is too small on the thumbnail to see: 1) The first big picture has Mio reminding Ritsu that their camping trip was not one of pleasure. 2) Mugi looks at Mio from behind. 3) If you click on the thumbnail, you could see quite clearly that Mio is wearing a worried face in this shot. 4) Mio notices Mugi staring at her. 5) Mugi smiles at Mio, assumingly trying to convince Mio to relax. 6) Mugi's smile fades away when Mio returns to her anxiety about the band.

There's no need for conversation in this scene. It is so well done, their emotions so brilliantly displayed. And it gets better.

Again, great scene. Love the way they portrayed Mio and Mugi's expressions.

That's the Mugi-chan I know of. There's an air of intelligence in her different from Mio's, like you know she knows something. You could either see this as some sort of diabolical, murderous planning or whatever that Mugi is up to - or, you could see this as a girl very confident in the wellness of the band, and is there to remind Mio to have fun (in a way, you can say Mugi to Mio is like the relationship of Mio to Azusa as later seen in the show, where one character reminds the other to be carefree).

And of course, some people had to come and interrupt this lovely moment...
Old 2010-10-13, 06:28   Link #243
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Yeah, I remember that scene too. Despite her tendency to fool around, she actually believes in their group the most.

And if you guys remember the episode where ricchan is jealous over nodoka (ep 11 s1), and where yui is late in their graduation day (ep 24 s2). Mugi is the one that says "let's wait" for the related character.
Old 2010-10-13, 06:34   Link #244
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonea View Post
And if you guys remember the episode where ricchan is jealous over nodoka (ep 11 s1), and where yui is late in their graduation day (ep 24 s2). Mugi is the one that says "let's wait" for the related character.
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Why KyoAni chooses to focus on Tsumugi's lesboness over her 'air of perception' bewilders me. What bewilders me even more is how people claimed that S2 is more character-focused, despite Mugi's lessen in depth in S2.
Old 2010-10-13, 07:03   Link #245
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBoon View Post
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Why KyoAni chooses to focus on Tsumugi's lesboness over her 'air of perception' bewilders me. What bewilders me even more is how people claimed that S2 is more character-focused, despite Mugi's lessen in depth in S2.
Yeah. I think Mugi's got the most personality rewrite in the anime compared to the manga. But then again, judging by the manga. I see her as a joke and support character, but a fearsome one XD besides, she might be a symbol of unrealism. (not really impossible, though).

- Just look at her appearance. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Not normal in Japan for sure. If she's half Japanese, why no one implied it?
- Her wealth (well, it's not totally unreal, but it's still very unusual for a normal high school girl in a normal school)
- Her superhuman strength
- She can "read" minds XD (she knows when Mio actually taught Ritsu, Azusa's naming of her guitar, and then when Azusa brought chocolate cake for the valentine day, and finally when Mio rejected the recommendation).

Well, that's some of them I think. Which needs to be neutralized to make a more realistic anime.

In the anime, Tsumugi is more emphasized on her will to live a normal life. Which is contradictive to her abuse of wealth and authorization in the manga XD

Generally, I don't really like the change, but there are some that I like:
- Her care for the group.
- A background player:
--She's actually the one who composed the songs in HTT, while Mio is in charge for the lyrics.
-- She's also the EO for Mio's tea party and the scripwriter for their class drama.
- Maybe she and Ritsu are the ones who are close to their classmates. I remember that Mika called her "Mugi-chan" in the 24th episode of s2.

What I mostly don't like is the image of her being lonely. In the 14th episode of s2, she's craving for skinship, while she had quite of them in the manga:
- Mio likes to fall into her hug if Ritsu teases her.
- Yui hugs her in the chapter that implies her high body temperature which makes Mugi blushes XD
- In the making of their recruitment video, Ritsu actually hit her, but not in the anime.

So, I think what Mugi really wants is that she wants to try a physical bonding with Ritsu and Mio's way (by hitting). In the manga, she doesn't mention about Yui and Azusa's hugging.
Old 2010-10-16, 09:55   Link #246
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

I just realized how much I like Mugi as a character... Afterall, she was the one who started the encore performance at the end of season one. Mugi and Ritsu make a pretty good team. It's a shame Mugi doesn't have enough screen time.
Old 2010-10-16, 11:19   Link #247
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloppyblue View Post
I just realized how much I like Mugi as a character... Afterall, she was the one who started the encore performance at the end of season one. Mugi and Ritsu make a pretty good team. It's a shame Mugi doesn't have enough screen time.
She's kind of the group's backbone
Well, she actually have quite a number of screen time if you pay attention carefully

I agree that they make a good team. They both share the same role as the supporting character. And their instruments reflect that.
Old 2010-10-16, 13:06   Link #248
VEE

Send a message via MSN to VEE
I didn't like Mugi at all in the first season because she does seemed like a boring girl. But after a while, i did changed my perspective towards her. She can hop around and make the band seems fun.
She can be quite funny sometimes.
FOr example accepting the Sawa chan's guitar- sold for 50 K yen.
Old 2010-10-16, 14:07   Link #249
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Yeah, her character was pretty invisible to me during first season. They set her up for a lot of OOC moments by making her so quiet and then having her start pillow fights and stuff.

And Ryonea, yeah, you're right actually... She does have a lot of screen time... Hm... I don't know why she doesn't shine as much as the rest of the girls then (to me). Maybe her subtlety is part of her charm as a character.
Old 2010-10-16, 14:40   Link #250
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloppyblue View Post
Hm... I don't know why she doesn't shine as much as the rest of the girls then (to me).
The good thing about a well-written character is that he/she would have as many angles to explore in his/her personality as a real, living breathing person would. However, in a show, the traits that would gain the most ratings/attention from views are brought out first, leaving the more subtle traits hidden away from view.

When the subtle traits are amped up later to show those hidden sides of the characters, the natural response would be - ooc - when the fact is that the personalities of real people are equally changeable.
Old 2010-10-16, 16:51   Link #251
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

If you guys read the manga, I think you guys will understand why she doesn't shine as much as the other girls, and why her personality should be changed drastically in the anime. (Look at my older long post in this page). The point is that she's meant to be a mysterious joke character and a symbol of unreal-ism (think of it as a typical manga/anime spice). Those are my opinions, though.

We didn't even get to see her room, right? one could only guess from her summer houses design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloppyblue
Yeah, her character was pretty invisible to me during first season. They set her up for a lot of OOC moments by making her so quiet and then having her start pillow fights and stuff.

And Ryonea, yeah, you're right actually... She does have a lot of screen time... Hm... I don't know why she doesn't shine as much as the rest of the girls then (to me). Maybe her subtlety is part of her charm as a character.
I believe KyoAni wanted to emphasize her childish side on the season 2, hence her silliness. I sometimes found her quite annoying, though. Her "let's have tea" idea kinda ruined their activity XD (like in the music studio episode + the HTT album recording).

as for her screen time, I think WBoon is right

PS: A little LOL @ awesomeness
http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/674262

Last edited by Ryonea; 2010-10-16 at 17:29.
Old 2010-10-17, 11:49   Link #252
KennyAkiyama

mugi is my least fav k-on member, dunno why, may be cos she didn't get as much screen time as the others? she is kinda weird and eccentric in a way , doing spontaneous things like asking ritsu to hit her in one episode....
Old 2010-10-17, 13:03   Link #253
Moogie
quick scopes anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyAkiyama View Post
mugi is my least fav k-on member, dunno why, may be cos she didn't get as much screen time as the others? she is kinda weird and eccentric in a way , doing spontaneous things like asking ritsu to hit her in one episode....
That's what makes her so awesome.
Old 2010-10-17, 19:45   Link #254
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyAkiyama View Post
Well, she actually had quite a number screen time, but it's her personality and little interactivity that make people miss them. Considering her 'normal' characteristics and role in the group, people can find her easily unappealing and a boring character. For example, we can see the majority of things she do is serving tea and cakes which has become a routine for the show
Old 2010-10-19, 06:42   Link #255
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Does anybody know what tea Mugi serves? :S

Just wondering.
Old 2010-10-19, 07:25   Link #256
Sparvid
*hic*

Well, it is mentioned in the maid café chapter (and possibly the episode as well) that she gets the tea from the café, and that it is quite expensive.
Old 2010-10-19, 07:35   Link #257
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Can't remember if there are any specific types, but most likely the tea varies.
Azusa and Sawako's favorite is milk tea, though
Old 2010-10-19, 10:10   Link #258
itzglez
♫♫♪

twas only the milk tea that was mentioned.
Old 2010-10-28, 00:43   Link #259
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonea View Post
- Just look at her appearance. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Not normal in Japan for sure. If she's half Japanese, why no one implied it?
- Her wealth (well, it's not totally unreal, but it's still very unusual for a normal high school girl in a normal school)
The best theory I've come across is that her father is some corporate magnate/shogun who married a blonde lass from Finland (hence the trips to Finland, the background shots of photos of a blonde mom with a japanese man, the large amount of 'western' artifacts around her implying her father was an Anglophile).

Whats interesting is how NONE of this is ever explicitly discussed - you have to pick it all up from clues rather than any specific conversation they have. I don't know if this is the mangaka's subtle dig at intolerance or what but it was very nicely done.
Old 2010-10-28, 03:44   Link #260
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The best theory I've come across is that her father is some corporate magnate/shogun who married a blonde lass from Finland (hence the trips to Finland, the background shots of photos of a blonde mom with a japanese man, the large amount of 'western' artifacts around her implying her father was an Anglophile).

Whats interesting is how NONE of this is ever explicitly discussed - you have to pick it all up from clues rather than any specific conversation they have. I don't know if this is the mangaka's subtle dig at intolerance or what but it was very nicely done.
I thought about that too. The picture was on the wall of her summer house, wasn't it? (first training camp episode in s1).

Well, those visual clues are found in the anime, though. Almost none of them in the manga. At least we had a bit of information about her home life in the character profile card (a strict mistress, her house located 2 train stops, and even a description about her room design.)

I think the mangaka wants to keep them mysterious (as implied in the Mugi-Azusa chapter). Besides, exposing too much of her background might ruin the realistic aspect of the story, especially in the anime. They have to change her from a bribe master to a more low profile character
Closed Thread

Tags
characters