AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-01-04, 13:48   Link #341
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I don't see anything wrong with the changes made in the anime --- it makes it all the more interesting to see. As i've mentioned before, most of the time i watch anime adaptations to see what the director can do with the work, so i rather like the changes made to the story. It makes for some interesting outcomes, and seeing how some things can be done differently compared to the original source.
I don't think the changes in Yozakura Quartet are "wrong". As an example, the changes in R+V are. It's rather subjective for most probably, but I think Gonzo went too far with this one.

Now for Yozakura Quartet anime, personally I just don't like certain changes—just very few actually—hence I like the manga more. In the end, the manga version simply has more to it than the anime.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 13:54   Link #342
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Now for Yozakura Quartet anime, personally I just don't like certain changes—just very few actually—hence I like the manga more. In the end, the manga version simply has more to it than the anime.
I've already mentioned before how much i love the Yozakura Quartet manga for it's very nicely done slice of life feel. The best parts are when the characters are just doing nothing, and it's a shame the anime didn't feature more of that, though i can understand why they didn't. They needed to work on the plot more. If the anime adaptation was made at a later date with more manga material, then we'd have probably seen more of the slice of life aspect.
Old 2009-01-05, 01:23   Link #343
Bordix

Dropped the anime. I was gonna give the manga a chance since a lot of guys recommended it but, I haven't found a single chapter yet... and I just found out that no group was scanlating it ...(too bad really loved the art of the mangaka)
Old 2009-01-05, 06:29   Link #344
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordix View Post
Dropped the anime. I was gonna give the manga a chance since a lot of guys recommended it but, I haven't found a single chapter yet... and I just found out that no group was scanlating it ...(too bad really loved the art of the mangaka)
It's been licensed by Del-Ray. Do the good thing and go buy the first volume instead of looking for scans.
Old 2009-01-05, 07:32   Link #345
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
It's been licensed by Del-Ray. Do the good thing and go buy the first volume instead of looking for scans.
... or you can buy the original, since it has furikana and not the most complex plot, it's excellent for practise.

Plus you are going to be sure that it's not going to get censored or delayed like forever. Narutaru (aka Shadow Star) is in my mind.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 14:16   Link #346
mandarb916

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I would however, miss hearing Kotoha's "da! da! da!" or Hime's tsundere song.
The Tsundere song came with vol. 6 of the manga as a limited edition along side a drama CD.
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-31, 16:12   Link #347
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
The Tsundere song came with vol. 6 of the manga as a limited edition along side a drama CD.
That's brilliant news. I'm gonna have to get a hold of that as soon as possible.
Old 2009-02-05, 11:13   Link #348
Astrid Widjaja
Anime 4eva
*Artist

Geezz...
the anime is too much different to the manga
I'm a bit disappointed for this one
Astrid Widjaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-05, 11:16   Link #349
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid Widjaja View Post
Geezz...
the anime is too much different to the manga
I'm a bit disappointed for this one
it could have been worse...
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-09, 10:03   Link #350
Astrid Widjaja
Anime 4eva
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
it could have been worse...
Yeah, agree
Astrid Widjaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 13:43   Link #351
mandarb916

considering the anime went into production around when vol 2 was announced, i believe (from Suzuhito's blog or Yozakaru), it's not really surprising that the series deviated from the manga quite a bit. Source material was still being written by the author while it was in production so...

If you treat the manga and anime as separate entities (which is also what Suzuhito asked for viewers/readers to do), it's not shabby at all. Both are care-free slice of life comedies with some action tossed into the fray. Characters weren't delved into with too much detail, but the personalities were spot-on in the anime and the voice acting was actually really quite superb (partially owing to the fact that it was prescored instead of the typical post-recording sessions).

Quote:
That's brilliant news. I'm gonna have to get a hold of that as soon as possible.
Any luck? Went to about 20 bookstores across Tokyo the day after release and couldn't find it anywhere. Managed to find it on the last few days of my trip to Japan at a hole-in-the-wall mom/pop bookstore...I thought I'd try asking the cashier for shits and giggles if they had a copy, even though it wasn't advertised anywhere in the small store and low and behold, they had received just 1 copy :P

Vol 7 will supposedly have a limited edition run as well....as for what the item will be bundled with it...unknown for now.
mandarb916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-13, 13:48   Link #352
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarb916 View Post
considering the anime went into production around when vol 2 was announced, i believe (from Suzuhito's blog or Yozakaru), it's not really surprising that the series deviated from the manga quite a bit. Source material was still being written by the author while it was in production so...

If you treat the manga and anime as separate entities (which is also what Suzuhito asked for viewers/readers to do), it's not shabby at all. Both are care-free slice of life comedies with some action tossed into the fray. Characters weren't delved into with too much detail, but the personalities were spot-on in the anime and the voice acting was actually really quite superb (partially owing to the fact that it was prescored instead of the typical post-recording sessions).

Any luck? Went to about 20 bookstores across Tokyo the day after release and couldn't find it anywhere. Managed to find it on the last few days of my trip to Japan at a hole-in-the-wall mom/pop bookstore...I thought I'd try asking the cashier for shits and giggles if they had a copy, even though it wasn't advertised anywhere in the small store and low and behold, they had received just 1 copy :P

Vol 7 will supposedly have a limited edition run as well....as for what the item will be bundled with it...unknown for now.
Ya they did a good job with new content, its a decent show based off a decent manga that dosen't stray to far from the base material.
Old 2009-07-24, 17:12   Link #353
strategos

Haven't seen the series yet. But how good is it? Any second season in the way?

http://www.viz.com/apps
http://www.hulu.com
strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 17:04   Link #354
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategos View Post
I do not know the manga and I just have finished this show.

And I must say .... it was greate.
One of the must have seen shows this year still it could have need a little bit here and there ( for me it would have need some romance and or ecchi ) but it is a very good show.
mangalowres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 17:10   Link #355
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategos View Post
Its a lite drama/action anime that dose not ride any particular gimmick (loli ,sex,violence) into the ground. It has lolis as well as well shaped 2ndary and and triatry characters.

Its not overly generic in its themes(main theme friendship,2nd theme discrimination,3rd theme protect friends/others ) all in all well rounded if not short, perhaps a bit shallow but as far as I can tell its deeper than most series.

Sorry if I am vague but I dun want to spoil it for you. =^^=
Old 2009-12-23, 10:10   Link #356
LKK

ANN reported yesterday that Section23 Films / Sentai Filmworks licensed Yozakura Quartet. The release will be sub only. They'll release the complete series at once. Expected release date is March 2010.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 11:19   Link #357
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Brilliant news. It was quite the worthy adaptation of one of my favorite titles, so that will be a must buy in my books.
Old 2011-04-16, 04:44   Link #358
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
REVIEW TIME

Yozakura Quartet is an exercice in mediocrity from the get-go. The very first episode introduces you to a generic world full of generic people and expects you to like the cheese. Well no, it’s not that easy ; it takes effort to actually manage to create something interesting and this anime is showing you nothing but the middle finger. Snore!

The world of the series is a city where humans and youkai coexist. Youkai can roughly be described in mythology as spirits that take forms of objects, animals, and even other people, in order to trick and harm humans. The series however treats them as nothing but humans with cat-ears which makes them look generic and boring. Youkai in mythology also possess various supernatural powers but the show is again treating them like humans who may or may not have such powers. As for normal people… they too can use supernatural stuff so once again the importance of having these creatures is canceled out. It is more than obviously a superficial way to have a theme around racism. Instead of having blacks vs whites the show went for fan catering and just had people without cat-ears vs people with cat-ears. And that’s pretty much all the difference you will find between them. Snore!

The heroes of the show are your average protectors, who fight renegade youkai and protect the civilians with various powers. The action focuses mostly on the lead character who is your average boring shonen lead with broken powers and vanilla personality as he saves chicks and battles big bad beasts. The battles hardly have choreography and stuff appear and disappear with magic at the animators’ whim. The complete lack of strategy along with the totally generic characters leave you completely indifferent with what is going on with the story and the world in general. Snore!

So in case you care, the story is about villains trying to take advantage of the hatred various people in the city have in order to get rich, powerful, or plain have fun while spreading havoc. They are otherwise cardboards as well, with nothing to bother remembering about. As for the so-called city where these two races coexist, all there is to make you be aware of that is these big pillars that are supposed to protect the city. Big help they did; it’s full of villains. As for the plot, when it does not involve fighting some beast in totally boring ways, it has to do with fooling around in… yes, totally boring ways. The characters will be cooking, playing sports, go shopping and generally do everyday stuff that mean very little since they are generic with zero depth in them. There is no romance or internal conflicts in the team and everything is one big boredrome. Snore!

Of course, the animators tried to mask all that with as much as fan catering as possible. The opening theme alone is completely preparing you to see some sort of fantasy slice-of-life romance and not some superheroes protecting a city from supervillains. That shows how much they cared about the story. Although the show is pantsu-free, they still made everybody to look like they popped out from a date-sim. All the characters are bijins, with otaku-oriented uniforms and clothes that are meant to make the viewer go all moe on them. It may work for a few episodes before the total lack of excitement or progress eventually make even that feeling to fade away. Snore!

Production values are ok, albeit they never look awesome for any given reason. Voice acting is ok but it doesn’t feel like you should be paying attention to what they are saying. The OST is just silly tunes that repeat too often to the point of saturation and never manage to be memorable. The backgrounds have a nice color palette and are rather detailed but they are otherwise generic in appearance. If it weren’t for those pillars, you would consider the setting to be a generic city. There is a high amount of stills used and even the animation during battles looks crummy, while the numerous special effects used there look like simplistic filters or just generic rays. At times they make snow flakes and sakura blossoms fall all over the place to further fool you to think there is context somewhere in this mess but they just doesn’t hold a candle next to your average date-sim adaptation. Snore!

This anime is a fine example of the industry funding uninspired works that mean nothing other than making them for the sake of making them, instead of looking around for something better to animate. Or at least trying to make something good out of all this mess instead of going for bijins and fan catering clothes. Not recommended at all.

ZZZ…
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, shounen, supernatural