AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-06, 16:38   Link #2221
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Maine uses the "Congressional District Method", selecting one elector within each congressional district by popular vote and selecting the remaining two electors by the statewide popular vote. Basically, it's to show that at least one congressional district will go to the Republicans. For your information, Maine has four electoral votes.
Save on the map both ME and ME2 are blue. If they are voting the same there is no reason toe note them as seperate on the map. if ME2 was red, i would have figured that out witout having to ask. Though I figure its not a good map anyway.

Also remember that it is entirely possible to win the election via electoral votes and not win the popular vote (more or less happened four times so far). The electors can ignore the popular vote, but it can cause legal problems depending on those states laws. Most states winner takes all, which reflects the majority vote...usually (depending on Gerrymandering in some states). While other divide their in other ways.
Old 2012-11-06, 16:41   Link #2222
Simonsy

I don't like seeing "prediction" maps anyway.

It's annoying. I mean you could for the last how many years put California as Blue or Texas as Red.

It's basically a gurantee. I don't see how anyone of the other side even bothers to vote in those states. Everyone knows that, they are told that, the media never even questions it, ect.

And those states will never change while that attitude is still around. Who live in those areas? What do you guys even think of the elections. Seems like it would be hard to even care about your vote when you know what the result is?

I wish people looked at the map every time as a blank slate.

So far I have yet to see any maps show up that show who is winning any state on any website or TV so far. i am glad for that. I hope it is illegal or they make it illegal to show any "guesses" or "predictions" or "whatever" until after the final poll closes in EVERY state.
Old 2012-11-06, 16:49   Link #2223
willx
Nyaaan~~

^ Like I posted earlier, all the news outlets have an agreement to keep the exit poll data private, although it will likely start leaking soon. It's almost 5PM on the East Coast ..

You may rely on it
Old 2012-11-06, 16:50   Link #2224
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Dad and I mailed off our Arizona ballots three weeks ago. step-mom is voting this afternoon in Californa after work. I hate how these stupid propositions are worded, and the double speak on the ads pro and con just add to the confusion. I am prepared to stay up late tonight to see if a winner is even called or if it ends up like 2000.
Old 2012-11-06, 16:57   Link #2225
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I simply say "to hell with your predictions, I'm going to vote what I think I want" and let it be.

Think about California. It is 10% of the country's entire voting pool. It has multiple metropolitan areas with large populations. Most of those large cities tend to vote Democrat, save San Diego which tends to vote Republican. Los Angeles has more third parties in the area, and San Francisco has gone hard core Democrat since "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" came into being (also became very anti-military joining Berkeley). They might come back to liking the military now that "don't ask, don't tell" is gone, but that will take time, and i doubt the military is going to want to come back. Sacramento....I don't remember how they swing these days.

Most of the Suburban areas vote Democrat, but there are plenty of Republicans and Inpedentants out there. Out in the more rural areas, the State is mostly Republican. A map by counties or districts would make you think Califoria was a Republican State...but the coastal cities have a huge population advantage, that wherever they go, Califoria goes. Unless the recent redistricting has changed things (I doubt it), there are no maps that predict Califoria to swing Republican or anything other than Democrat on anyone's polls. It is too entrenched....which is why the candidates don't need to bother with it. Obama comes out for money sources, but Romney likely avoided the state entirely. Not worth the effort.
Old 2012-11-06, 17:00   Link #2226
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Obama comes out for money sources, but Romney likely avoided the state entirely. Not worth the effort.
Romney did the same, it's pretty much all we're good for as a state it seems.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2012-11-06, 17:04   Link #2227
willx
Nyaaan~~

You may rely on it
Old 2012-11-06, 17:04   Link #2228
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd be quite happy reforming the Electoral college down to the county level. That would give the "49%" in each state (red or blue) a chance to matter. It would also make it much tougher/more expensive for billionaire PAC goons since "focusing on a few flip counties" to flip a state would no longer work.
Old 2012-11-06, 17:05   Link #2229
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hollywood and Silicon Valley has got bucks. As do some corperate investors that like the weather here.
Old 2012-11-06, 17:32   Link #2230
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I voted.

And I feel damn lucky to watch Joe Biden's motorcade drive by on the expressway (as it was blocked to clear a pathway for the motorcade).

In addition, watch this:

Saw this just today. Not that I care for politics, but this is kinda scary.
Old 2012-11-06, 17:41   Link #2231
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post

You may rely on it
I'd get drunk just on Ohio alone, but adding Sandy to the mix would give me alcohol poisoning, and Recession and ObamaCare would kill me. This is not a Drinking Game so much as an Obituary Game...
Old 2012-11-06, 17:53   Link #2232
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I'd get drunk just on Ohio alone, but adding Sandy to the mix would give me alcohol poisoning, and Recession and ObamaCare would kill me. This is not a Drinking Game so much as an Obituary Game...
I can drink more than most people, and I would have been dead hours ago...
Old 2012-11-06, 18:00   Link #2233
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

SRT president and CEO, Ralph Gilles, is doing his best today to make sure workers at Chrysler are getting to their local polling stations and casting votes. The executive started off the morning by stating on his Twitter feed that, "Chrysler gave its entire work force the day off to Vote Today! Let's go! #America."

Gilles later did his best to clarify the day off for Chrysler workers, tweeting that the United Auto Workers has negotiated having voting day off for its employees for the last 15 years – not only at Chrysler, but for General Motors and Ford employees, too. The voting day holiday was then "logically extended to salaried workers," said Gilles.

While Gilles statements seem politically neutral on the surface, recent flare-ups between he and Donald Trump, as well as some finger-pointing on the part of Chrysler/Fiat boss Sergio Marchionne towards Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, add a bit of heat to the matter. What's more, as UAW members have historically backed Democratic candidates, the move to encourage Chrysler workers to get to the polls could logically be construed as a tacit endorsement of President Barack Obama's bid to hold on to the White House.

In fact, the call to action by Gilles is probably unneeded as far as UAW members are concerned. Reports today indicate that the organization has gone so far as to bus its members (in Michigan at least) to polling places, to make the voting process that much easier.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/06/c...y-off-to-vote/
Old 2012-11-06, 18:00   Link #2234
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

And there are still many hours left.

(If anyone is in a poor position in terms of national voting, it is Alaska and Hawaii. The whole rest of the country finishes and Hawaii's polls will still be open for a few more hours. Though Hawaii and Alaska tend to not be swing states, so their usually can tell before the polls close in California how those two will finish off. But how does a voter handle it? The race is sometimes official over before they get home from work to even cast their vote. Guess they have to deal with only local matters.
Old 2012-11-06, 18:06   Link #2235
Iron Maw
Banned

When do the first polls close?
Old 2012-11-06, 18:07   Link #2236
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
An hour or so I think.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2012-11-06, 18:08   Link #2237
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

7pm Eastern Time usually. Some states on the East Coast have extentions due to the storms, or polling problems. States farther west will close at 7pm or 8pm in their own time zones....usually.

Hawaii closes at 6pm local time. (the interactive map on MSN has the closing times for each state.)

Iowa closes at 9pm local time to make their swing status last longer.
Old 2012-11-06, 18:11   Link #2238
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
6PM EST, with Indiana and Kentucky being the first to close. So, we should be getting election results momentarily. Afterwards, it is every half-hour until 9PM EST, then every hour until 1AM EST when Alaska and Hawaii get in.
Old 2012-11-06, 18:12   Link #2239
Iron Maw
Banned

Thanks guys, things are getting really intense all over twitter now.
Old 2012-11-06, 18:14   Link #2240
james0246

Early results are in for Kentucky and Indiana (both with Romney in the lead) and New Hampshire (with Obama in the lead).
Closed Thread