AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-23, 04:41   Link #1
Xion Valkyrie

Dorohedoro!!

Just checked out this manga and read volumes 1-12. Searched and didn't find a topic so I'm starting one.

The description on mangatraders gives a good idea of the basic setting, but really doesn't clue you in on how crazy it is. The style reminds me a lot of Berserk, with a lot of dark humor thrown in. Of course, bloody violent too.

Anyways, for those peeps that have been reading this, here on some thoughts and speculations on the mystery behind the main character's identity and related stuff. These contain spoilers up to Vol 12, so be warned.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-09-25, 13:06   Link #2
Tyrone Biggums
Crack Head

I've just started reading this today, got through about 20 chapters. I'll read more later, but I love it. Good stuff and I gotta say I didn't expect it to be this good.

Reminds me of Berserk, Zetman or Biomega...the fighting anyways and the art.

Anyone know when Vol 13 is out?
Old 2009-09-25, 19:48   Link #3
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Dark setting? Pfft! This manga is weird and HILARIOUS. Heck, I wouldn't mind just reading this purely for the antics of En's group (Ebisu, you moe, little girl you!).
Old 2009-09-26, 00:26   Link #4
stpehen
kisses for all

Great series. Absolutely hilarious. I wouldn't mind seeing the author do a straight-up comedy next.
Old 2009-09-30, 06:03   Link #5
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

I just started reading this and one thing that really impressed me was the chapter in which Kaiman was about to swallow Ebisu. It shocked him that the magic user was a girl, but her swallowed her anyway. In almost every manga I've read, when ever a main character discovered a masked character is a girl, they stop fighting. This is the first time, I've ever seen this "rule" broken, which also tells me that this manga follows no rules.
Old 2011-09-22, 10:58   Link #6
Gooral
Banned

16th volume of Dorohedoro will be out on October 28th !!! Can't wait to read it. Certain someone has pre-ordered special edition of it so I'll probably be able to read it in this year.
Old 2011-09-22, 13:09   Link #7
ShiroiRyu

OH FUCK YEAH !
Finally after a year ? Hope Gantz will do the translation fastly.
And remember "It's Dorohedoro !"
Old 2011-09-22, 22:12   Link #8
Xion Valkyrie

Awesome.

It looks like we're close to a resolution though.
Old 2012-01-08, 16:10   Link #9
Gooral
Banned

Scanlation of 16th volume has been released by GWR and all I can say is that it was better than I expected and I expected a perfect volume. It was beyond perfect. Not only we go usual amount of chapters but also a massive amount of great omakes. There is also fanservice here (mainly Nikaido), plot is as intriguing as ever and characters are exquisite. Why this manga is more popular is beyond me.

But there is also bad news. Please read this and help if you can:

Old 2012-01-08, 17:08   Link #10
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
Scanlation of 16th volume has been released by GWR and all I can say is that it was better than I expected and I expected a perfect volume. It was beyond perfect. Not only we go usual amount of chapters but also a massive amount of great omakes. There is also fanservice here (mainly Nikaido), plot is as intriguing as ever and characters are exquisite. Why this manga is more popular is beyond me.

Because the art is weird, does't have moe elements, and requires a lot of thinking/re-reading to figure out what's going on.

Man, it seems like mangafox is killing all the scanlators. Maybe they should try putting their stuff on Batoto (it seems a lot of scanlators support that online reader for some reason).

Last edited by Xion Valkyrie; 2012-01-08 at 17:25.
Old 2012-01-08, 19:39   Link #11
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Because the art is weird, does't have moe elements, and requires a lot of thinking/re-reading to figure out what's going on.
I'll admit, I wasn't too sold on the premise as I started to read it because of those reasons, but after I read the 2nd vol, and Kaiman and Nikaido fought against Shin and Noi, I was hooked enough to continue reading it. I still don't really know what's going on(I read 14 vols in one straight shot), but I think how the magic is used is a big part of why I kept reading(well, and to see Kaiman + Nikaido =03). Like what En said to Kaiman in one of the later volumes, a magic might seem silly or stupid, but how its used can be the difference btw crappy magic and superior magic. Still, that's not enough for the moe crowd though =02.
Quote:
...(it seems a lot of scanlators support that online reader for some reason).
It's because the creator of that site, who is also a scanlator, made it so that some/all the revenue gained through the ads are given back to the scanlation groups. This would allow the scan groups to get more stuff, thus benefiting everyone.

Old 2012-01-09, 02:33   Link #12
Gooral
Banned

Soon enough we might only get moe/ecchi/shounen stuff from scanlators, so much of it that even most fanatics of these genres will start throwing up with it. With GWR out of the picture we will lose one of the few groups which doesn't pick up projects based on popularity (or "moeness/ecchiness level) but those which seem interesting but no one is willing to scanlate it. Desert Punk and Dorohedoro are both the best manga I've ever read (in the same league as Monster, 20th CB or Vinland Saga for example) and they have tons of such awesome projects. It was thanks to them we got Shingeki no Kyoujin as early as we did, otherwise some group would pick this project about the time the second group started scanlating (this group sucks BTW) once it became very popular.
Old 2012-01-17, 21:58   Link #13
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
I love finding amazing manga on a whim. Knocked out the first 12 volumes in the last few days, absolutely love it. The art style, the characters, the comedy, all fantastic. This has jumped into my top 10 of all time in this short amount of time, too good.

though it always bums me out when I find a good series, come to animesuki and it doesn't even have a full page of comments. Has happened more time than I would like.
Old 2012-11-02, 20:05   Link #14
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Just finished reading it a few days ago. It really should have ended earlier, It's dragged on way too long after the lizard head was cut off. I feel there's not much of the characters left and yet its being dragged on anyway.
Old 2013-05-19, 12:12   Link #15
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

It looks like were finally reaching some sort of conclusion and most of the questions in the series have been answered. Still feel like it's dragging on with new developments which aren't really adding anything to the overall story.
Old 2013-08-20, 17:21   Link #16
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post

Oh that explains it. Wonder why they didn't release anything in awhile. Mangareaders make it easy. You just go to one site instead of visiting multiple sites. People love simplicity after all. The same could be said about those anime streaming sites that spawn. A few of the popular ones probably net a lot of ad revenue just from the amount of people that visit their site.

Dorodoro isn't mainstream. Its weird, bloody and gorey, but it isn't like gantz strange. Dorodoro is still good. Its unique? But it also makes the fanbase pretty small. Most of all you ask more questions than you get answers.

It'd probably also make a good fighting game.
Old 2013-09-15, 16:49   Link #17
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Spoiler for 118:
Old 2013-09-15, 19:43   Link #18
Drkz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
Spoiler for 118:
Aww really? Well that sucks . Hopefully the author makes another awesome series!
Old 2013-09-17, 12:54   Link #19
Drkz

What the heck..? Was someone carrying Kaiman's dead head into the convenience store?
Old 2013-09-17, 21:21   Link #20
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

I have a feeling future Nikaido did it.

Tags
female mangaka, gore