AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-01-21, 20:21   Link #21
Expendable GM Pilot

Jubei Ninpucho became Ninja Scroll. There is not one damn scroll in that whole movie.
Expendable GM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-21, 22:09   Link #22
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien -> Rumbling Hearts. Eww... the original title was already pretty in either language. Rumbling Hearts makes me think of stomach acid burbling through heart valves.

Detective (Meitantei) Conan -> Case Closed. Case Closed sounds dumb and childish.

Mai Hime -> My Hime. Since they're homonyms, it makes things confusing. Mai is a Hime. What is "My Hime" supposed to mean?

Gash Bell -> Zatch Bell. I hate character renames! Gashu may be an odd (yet cute) name, but Zatch is an ugly name.

Last edited by Saber Cherry; 2007-01-21 at 22:26. Reason: additional content
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-21, 22:11   Link #23
Renvi
Seimei

Hao from Shaman King --> Zeke.
WHAT THE--!? That pissed me off... >>
Renvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-21, 23:06   Link #24
-Breakthrough-

Ruroni Kenshin into Samurai X
Gash Bell to Zatch Bell
Mai Hime into My Hime
Jubei Ninpucho into freaking Ninja Scroll
Finally~In One Piece, Zoro to Zolo and Ace to Trace..Blagh..
-Breakthrough- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-21, 23:18   Link #25
Kyanme
suzuya_luvrx666

Send a message via AIM to Kyanme Send a message via MSN to Kyanme
Mew Mew Power makes me cry a river. :/ I don't like the anime or manga that much, but seriously... Rockbottom, 4K!ds/4Light whatever they call themselves.

Battle Vixens was pretty bad, especially since thats not what the series was about. Mm-mmm. Sure, it's an ecchi series, but, yesh... Not a good title. :/

Case Closed sounds a bad 48 Hours rip-off. SRSLY. D:
Kyanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 00:45   Link #26
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien -> Rumbling Hearts. Eww... the original title was already pretty in either language. Rumbling Hearts makes me think of stomach acid burbling through heart valves.
Rumbling Hearts was in the original title. It was the subtitle.

Quote:
Mai Hime -> My Hime. Since they're homonyms, it makes things confusing. Mai is a Hime. What is "My Hime" supposed to mean?
There was always a lack of clarity in the Japanese title on which of Mai/Mai/My (three different things, three different meanings) they meant. This isn't a rename.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 01:32   Link #27
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
There was always a lack of clarity in the Japanese title on which of Mai/Mai/My (three different things, three different meanings) they meant. This isn't a rename.
Wasn't that intentional? At least I've always thought it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz
busou renking ------> Armored Alchemist ~ i think not >.<
I'm pretty sure the manga is being released under the title Buso Renkin. As far as I know the anime hasn't been licensed, so I'm kind of puzzled where you're getting the rename thing from.

Anyway, I understand why they did it, but I agree Chibi Vampire is pretty bad as renames go... Though I have to admit I can't really think of a better title...
Old 2007-01-22, 02:13   Link #28
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expendable GM Pilot View Post
Jubei Ninpucho became Ninja Scroll. There is not one damn scroll in that whole movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuke CP9 View Post
Jubei Ninpucho into freaking Ninja Scroll
Hate to point this out, but Ninpucho means Ninja Scroll. It's a translation, not a rename.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 04:23   Link #29
Expendable GM Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Hate to point this out, but Ninpucho means Ninja Scroll. It's a translation, not a rename.
Oh well, my bad. I'm still wondering where this scroll is.
Expendable GM Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 06:12   Link #30
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"] Also how lame does Hurricane chronicles sound .Its as retarded as lietrally translating Chidori and Rasengam , Japanese names arnt that hard or coining of terms such as soul cutters occurs . Those translators should take notes from scanalators and subbers :P
Hurricane Chronicles is just a fan translation isn't it? (Accurate as though it might be.) If there has been any stateside announcement regarding Naruto: Shippuuden, then I haven't heard of it at least.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 06:41   Link #31
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Though I have to admit I can't really think of a better title...
Why would you even want to? Karin is fine as a title, same as Suzuka was fine as a title. I wonder what they'd rename that to? Chibi Athlete maybe?
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 09:46   Link #32
Hentai Guy
REdiculous (see profile)

Location: I live in a freakin' desert...not even a cool desert with cacti and stuff...just a whole lot o' nada
Makai Tenshō: Jigoku-hen - Ninja Resurrection

This pisses me off specifically because it was marketed to seem like a sequel of Ninja Scroll to the uninformed masses. Plus it sucked...

Last edited by Hentai Guy; 2007-01-23 at 00:24.
Hentai Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 10:09   Link #33
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity View Post
Why would you even want to? Karin is fine as a title, same as Suzuka was fine as a title. I wonder what they'd rename that to? Chibi Athlete maybe?
It was renamed because Tokyopop already publishes a manga called Kamichama Karin. The idea was to distinguish it in the marketplace. Unlike some people it doesn't embarrass me to pick it up or anything, but I have to agree that a different name would have been nice.
Old 2007-01-22, 11:13   Link #34
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Well, manga = not my thing so I wouldn't know that. My point still stands however, that Karin is a fine title as it is. Karin the Vampire or something would work I guess if it's simply to distinguish between two mangas with similar names.
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 12:48   Link #35
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

YuYu Hakusho being translated as "The Poltergeist Report" or loosely as "Ghostfiles" in the Funi version...Other than the very first arc, this show really never looks at the characters in-terms of being ghosts...Looking to apprehend a demon who snuck into living world or a vile human who uses demons doesn't coincide with some ghost element...It really gives a wrong impression to those who've never seen it...Something like "The Spirit Detective" or "Spiritual Fighter Uramechi" would have made more sense if it had to be translated....

Sadly Case Closed (Detective Conan) was the name the Japanese wanted for the english translation...Apparently the creator/owner of the series thought it would be a huge hit in America and wanted to give it as much individuality as possible while the new eps were still airing in Japan...Didn't work obviously...

I also was shocked to find out one of my childhood favs Speed Racer was actually named Mach Go Go Go...and they changed every name of every character and even the story...I still loved it but damn they changed it!
Old 2007-01-22, 18:50   Link #36
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expendable GM Pilot View Post
Oh well, my bad. I'm still wondering where this scroll is.
I'm afraid that the scroll was lost in editing. Seriously.

Jubei Ninpoucho is loosly based on a book titled "Basilisk ~ Kouga Ninpoucho." The source material was seriously changed a LOT before it was remade as a movie. Pretty much all that remains from book is some of the ninja powers, a bit of the character designs and the word "ninpoucho." Incidently, Basilisk was faithfully translated into a TV series just a few years ago. Go buy it and marvel at how similar it is, yet completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
YuYu Hakusho being translated as "The Poltergeist Report" or loosely as "Ghostfiles" in the Funi version..
I'm afraid that once again, it isn't renamed. I understand that it is very difficult to translate the title into English, but Poltergeist Report is a good faith attempt to translate Yuyu Hakusho. While the show might be badly named, you can't blame the translator. All I really remember about the funkiness of the translation is that the title actually refers to a type of paper used in mass printing, rather than actually saying "report". The translator figured that "report" made more sense than "pulp paper." You can thank him for that.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-01-23, 00:24   Link #37
Hentai Guy
REdiculous (see profile)

Location: I live in a freakin' desert...not even a cool desert with cacti and stuff...just a whole lot o' nada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
I'm afraid that once again, it isn't renamed. I understand that it is very difficult to translate the title into English, but Poltergeist Report is a good faith attempt to translate Yuyu Hakusho. While the show might be badly named, you can't blame the translator. All I really remember about the funkiness of the translation is that the title actually refers to a type of paper used in mass printing, rather than actually saying "report". The translator figured that "report" made more sense than "pulp paper." You can thank him for that.

Doesn't it mean "Spirits Wander Pale Book" or some such nonsense?

I also think that Kodocha: Sana's Stage replacing Kodomo no Omocha is dumb...what's wrong with just calling it Child's Toy? Instead they combine the two words (badly) and tack on some useless reference to the main character.
Hentai Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-23, 04:01   Link #38
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentai Guy View Post
Doesn't it mean "Spirits Wander Pale Book" or some such nonsense?
More or less. I heard that the "Pale Book" part is actually a reference to a type of paper which is colloquially used to refer to mass printing. And wandering spirit was translated as poltergeist. Poltergeist Report isn't a bad translation actually. It's just that the original Japanese title is a bit dumb. We can't blame all stupidity on the translators, some of it is intended by the creator. After all, another show is named Bleach. Obviously not all these names are winners.

Quote:
I also think that Kodocha: Sana's Stage replacing Kodomo no Omocha is dumb...what's wrong with just calling it Child's Toy? Instead they combine the two words (badly) and tack on some useless reference to the main character.
Agreed that this is messed up, but not as badly as you think. Kadocha isn't just combining the two words badly. Kadocha is the standard abbreviation for Kadomo no Omocha used in Japan and by most English speaking fans. Before it was licensed, most fans of the show called it "Kadocha." So, it is only messed up by inventing an English sub-title to tack on after Kadocha in order to ignore what the full Japanese title actually is.

Old 2007-01-26, 01:24   Link #39
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Shin Kidou Senki Gundam Wing G-Unit--> Gundam The Last Outpost. (Great now people pick it up and are shocked to find out that it takes place in the After Colony Timeline.)

UC Timeline in Gundam L'Ecole Du Ciel suddenly morphing into Cosmic Era in one source page at the back of the volume.

Honestly though I don't own that much manga with changes except for the awful Tokyo Pop stuff. That's all I can come up with really at the moment. I'm sure whatever is odd has already been mentioned. I was going to say Karin---> Chibi Vampire as I couldn't stop laughing when I saw that one and my friend almost killed me for it because I couldn't stop mentioning it.

Funimation does it with pretty much every title though so just look at their catalogue for it. Then they send out cease and decist letters to everyone under the sun and wonder why people still have there stuff.

Funimation: You have received a C&D notice to stop distribution of our properties Kodocha, Rumbling Hearts, Case Closed, Burst Angel (Alright is a literal translation but really), Hare+Guu, and Aquarion please comply with our request or we will be forced to take legal action.

Random Subber: Well we have something called Kodomo No Omocha, but I honestly have no idea what this Kodocha is. We also did Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, Detective Conan, Bakeretsu Tenshi, Jungle Wa Hare Itsumo Nochi Guu and Sosei No Aquarion. Please explain this letter as we have not infringed on any of your trademarks.

With time I will do some names that make little sense and you can't really trace where they came from.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-01-26 at 01:39.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 02:36   Link #40
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Funimation does it with pretty much every title though so just look at their catalogue for it. Then they send out cease and decist letters to everyone under the sun and wonder why people still have there stuff.

Funimation: You have received a C&D notice to stop distribution of our properties Kodocha, Rumbling Hearts, Case Closed, Burst Angel (Alright is a literal translation but really), Hare+Guu, and Aquarion please comply with our request or we will be forced to take legal action.

Random Subber: Well we have something called Kodomo No Omocha, but I honestly have no idea what this Kodocha is. We also did Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, Detective Conan, Bakeretsu Tenshi, Jungle Wa Hare Itsumo Nochi Guu and Sosei No Aquarion. Please explain this letter as we have not infringed on any of your trademarks.
Sigh... Firstly, Funimation does not send out C&Ds frequently. (Also, nobody is as stupid as your random subber and C&Ds aren't for trademarks.)
Secondly:
1) We already went over Kodocha, Rumbling, Case closed earlier in this thread. Ignoring these for your failure to read the thread.
2) Hare+Guu is done by ANE and is the official title in Japan now. They renamed the manga after it was started. When ANE went to pick up the rights was just about the time it was renamed. They were therefore obligated to use the new name. Therefore, this again, is not a rename that is for the US release.
I'm not even going to bother touching Burst Angel or Aquarion as those are just being anal-rententive.

And Thirdly, Funimation does not "rename" everything. Trinity Blood, Desert Punk, Solty Rei, Moonphase, Full Metal Panic:TSR, etc etc all are not renamed. Infact, you named almost 3/4rs of their "renames".
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote