AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-05-02, 18:09   Link #161
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

And as has been brought up before, the 20 Gs rating is for the Minovsky Drive System itself, rather than that of the Victory 2. With its weight added, we don't know how fast the machine is, though I imagine it's still comparable in speed.
Old 2013-05-02, 20:17   Link #162
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Even if you take the Victory 2 into consideration, it'd still be much faster when comparing it to a whole entire ship with one.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 22:45   Link #163
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
Even if you take the Victory 2 into consideration, it'd still be much faster when comparing it to a whole entire ship with one.
Not necessarily, it might have a faster initial acceleration, but a ship could end up having a higher top speed and/or be able to maintain it longer. The Minovsky Drive System that is used on a ship shouldn't be the same as the one used on a mobile suit.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 22:48   Link #164
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Actually, they're pretty much the same thing, only the system was able to be scaled down enough to fit into a mobile suit of the Victory's size, much like an actual (unlimited) I-Field Generator(s) in the Assault parts (though, the series itself didn't seem to show it at all). After all, the Mother Vanguard was one of the first ships to use it, but that was 20 years before Victory Gundam, and they were already starting to fit it onto mobile suits like the F99 Record Breaker (unofficially), though they were lost.

Theoretically, the Minovsky Drive System has virtually unlimited usage so long as there are Minovsky Particles for it to use.
Old 2013-05-02, 23:03   Link #165
monster

A scaled down system might not have all the features of the regular-sized, though. You also have to consider that the Victory 2 would most likely have a lower speed limit at which it could travel safely.
Old 2013-05-02, 23:36   Link #166
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Maybe earlier versions like the F99 Record Breaker (UC 0136), but the Victory 2 is 17 years later; plenty of time to get it working much more like the initially larger sized ones.

Much like how the Crossbone Gundam X-3 was one of the first normal-sized MS to have full, scaled down I-Field Generators but, of course, those generators had their limitations due to overheating (the S / Ex-S Gundam had I-Field generators ,but their field was limited solely to the cockpit areas, and only for brief intervals). The Victory 2 Assault / Assault/Buster Gundam being twenty years later also gives it time to work out such kinks and make it work more like the normal sized ones.

Of course, it's more than likely NOT recommended for the Victory 2 to travel at its full speed, but more due to pilot safety than the machine being ruined or anything.
Old 2013-05-03, 01:56   Link #167
monster

It wouldn't be surprising for operational speed to be below maximum rated/theoretical speed.

But anyway, here's some info: According to the GundamOfficial timeline, Kira stole the Freedom on May 5 and joined the battle at Alaska on May 8. So it took about 3 days for the Freedom to go from the PLANTs, located at Lagrange point 5, and wherever Alaska was relative to L5 during that time period. Of course, I doubt Kira, even as a Coordinator, would spend all time at full speed.
Old 2013-05-03, 01:59   Link #168
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

To add to a hole, fuel issues. As far as we can tell, the Freedom still was normal in that it required regular fuel for its propulsion so unless the Freedom has a gigantic fuel tank(s) somewhere, wouldn't he need to refuel somewhere in between the trip possibly several times?

Another upside to the Minovsky Drive; doesn't need conventional fuel.
Old 2013-05-03, 02:07   Link #169
monster

I've never actually heard (or don't recall) of fuel being mentioned in either SEED or Destiny, so I don't know what it would need.

Although I would guess it's possible that the Freedom could stock up enough fuel.
Old 2013-05-03, 02:13   Link #170
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

He wouldn't need much in space. Just during the initial escape, correctional maneuvers, and atmospheric entry and the ensuing battle. For the cruising in-between, he'd just need to shut down the engines and let the momentum in space take care of the rest.
Old 2013-08-22, 22:19   Link #171
GHOST EYE
Early Warning & Control

I'd say I have a I love for the more high performing GM suits from the One Year War period of UC: The RGM-79[G] Sniper, GM Sniper Custom, GM Sniper II etc. The Loto, RGM-96X Jesta and all of its variants also caught my attention in the Unicorn OVA. The Ez-8 is a studly machine, RX-78-2 for nostalgia reasons. Lots of other MS on the list.
GHOST EYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 17:01   Link #172
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Ooh, this topic! Might as well post mine.

Spoiler for Favorite Gundams:

Spoiler for Favorite Non-Gundam Mobile Suits:
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote