AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana Second Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 38 15.90%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 53 22.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 46 19.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 53 22.18%
6 out of 10 : Average 29 12.13%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 2.93%
4 out of 10 : Poor 7 2.93%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.84%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.67%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-01, 12:52   Link #21
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Ahh...Found the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
Overall? A very poor series; not quite as epic fail as ZnT II, but certainly one of the lower-tier shows of the last two seasons, on comparable grounds with generic trash like Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun and Rosario + Vampire.
Off Topic: I beg to differ. R+V was truly trash in the realms of storytelling and pacing mainly because it focused on the sappy and cheesy friendship bonding through the little squabbles and big fights and FANSERVICE. Just to make an opinion on it.

Back on Topic:

It's hard to actually give the series a proper evaluation, mainly because of the hype in the first place, and with it duly came comparisons and comparisons. First to the good (Season I), then as it apparently goes downhill, the bad (ZnT II). Not that I can decide for others what they think is good or bad, but in my opinion, Season II was a letdown to those who wanted to see something better than Season I, that's for sure. Whether it's as good (bad) as ZnT II is rather debatable.

First Impressions: Obviously due to the hype, the optimism goes up for me and stays there for a while although it dips a little during the Konoe arc. Fodder for enemies? Hey, there's Balle Masque and the acclaimed Sabrac. Episodes supposedly going nowhere? Who knows, J.C. Staff might throw a curveball near the end with Konoe's existence and appearance.

The Glitter Fades: What I didn't realise at that time was that they chose to delve into Margery's past, Ike's self-pitying as well as Wilhelmina's almost pointless (but still amusing) honing of culinary skills. It was starting to feel tiring and mundane, because SnS I had been known for it's fancy with fantasy, action and cliffhangers. I'm not immune to resorting to comparison even though I don't really like it. The Konoe arc began to feel draggy and up to episode 8 there was no notable action at all, and even in episodes 8 to 9, that was in the past.

Engine Revived: Things began to pick up due to the appearance of Kantarou and Pheles. Being spoilt by the novels, that usually means a lot to the viewer who has known of them. Together with the fact that Konoe's appearance apparently had some small meaning to it, the appearance of the Engage Link and the showing of Balle Masque, things looked to be exciting. I would consider this to be one of the better parts of the entire season, because most of the stuff here did not feel contrived or out of place because of subtle hints being dropped here and there (about Pheles appearing, about Konoe's reason for being close to Yuuji and co. etc).

Final Lap: While some people consider episodes like 16, 17 and 22 to be relatively boring due to the fact that it focuses more on the sidestories with Eita especially, I actually quite like the 'calm before the storm' episodes, where we see how the recent events have truly affected most of the main cast from school. Everyone's obviously shaken, but it's how they react that makes things a little more interesting.

However, hyped up episodes such as the Sabrac encounter and more notably the last two episodes were somewhat disappointing, something akin to watching a balloon getting almost blown to it's full proportion, then someone makes a small hole in it and it slowly deflates. Explosions were too overwrought to the point of being DBZ-ified or Bleach-ified. Perhaps the animators had too much time on their hands. Ultimately, the resolution of the much talked about love-triangle was ambiguous and ultimately unconventional in that we don't see the usual solutions to a love triangle here.

Now for the Positives:
Plus:
-Character change and development. Not one single character stayed the same from Season I, and most, if not all had viable reason to change (e.g. Shana being more dere, Eita leaving that world behind him due to his insecurities and powerlessness, Wilhelmina being more understanding, Yuuji becoming more GAR and getting an iron resolve).

-Music: First OP was very appropriate together with the first ED. It helps that they are both quite catchy in tune. I had doubts about the second OP at first, but it does grow on you if you give it a chance and keep listening to it. the second ED simply reminded me of the first in the pace of the tune and the atmosphere it supposedly generates, except for the part near it's chorus where it becomes more...upbeat (for the lack of a better word). On the whole, though, it's simply different tastes and chance-giving that determines whether the songs make watching the series a better experience or not.
IMO, the BGMs and insert songs were pretty good, probably good enough to remind people of the Season I's music.

-Humor: While SnS never based it's focus on humor, I thought it did pretty well for a mixed-genre show. Wilhelmina's War of the Foods, Shana's "Making Babies" and various reactions from a bevy of characters you'd never expect them to react in that certain way, i.e. Alastor and Chigusa.

*For notable mention, I quite like the usage of cliffhangers as always, especially during the Pheles arc. They were quite well done in that it acutally didn't feel contrived.

For the Bad...
Minus
-Pacing: The mother of all problems in Season II. There are in effect a lot of 'Ifs' if (there's one already) the pacing hadn't been screwed up. Examples include Konoe's arc and the smaller issues such as Ike's girl troubles and the slice-of-life periods. While Konoe's arc was supposedly justified by how Hecate reacted in the last episode, it still felt cheap to the general viewer, who would feel cheated. The ending also felt extremely rushed all the way till Kazumi welcoming them back. IMO, most of the negatives for SnS II can be attributed to the horrid handling of pace.

-Characters: First two Tomogaras gave me the impression that we needed some of those in action to pass some time, while Sabrac was somewhat disappointing mainly because of overwrought usage of power (he may have been toying with them, but after his dialogue with Bel-Peol in episode 22...) and being too wordy. I think it's fair, though, to consider that he acts differently when approaching important targets, and this time his objective was not to assassinate.
Margery Daw, for ending up as a side character in the battle for the Reiji Maigo. Even so, the Silver which was her greatest objective was in there, and I daresay that J.C shafted her for some supposed mentor-student teamwork and a YuujixShana moment. I can't help but think back that Rammie's words were almost forgotten, but bah, poor pacing rules again.
Flame Hazes, or the good guys in general, for making Balle Masque and Sakai Yuuji look like geniuses.

-Action: Despite it being a key attraction of the series, the action failed in being overwrought (the overly big explosions a la Bleach/DBZ). to be fair, some of it was pretty okay due to Yuuji's showing off of his newfound abilities (which were not so powerful and in effect, no huge explosions). In other cases such as the Sabrac fight and the final two episodes with Hecate, Syndonay, Wilhelmina and Shana, I'm highly skeptical that that will be what one calls 'exemplary'.

-Animation: Inconsistency. Some of the episodes were not good, though a few others, including the overwrought fights did get the thumbs-up from me.

Things I found 'OK':
Plot: Wasn't stellar, but I would say that it didn't really mess up everything because it still focused on the Reiji Maigo and it's holder all the way till the end.

Overall Impression: Didn't meet my expectations, didn't qualify well enough to be compared to even Season I, but on the whole it was a rather enjoyable experience and a good watch. Just for fun, I'll rate this a 7.4/10, effectively rounding it down to a 7. Unfortunate, J.C. Staff, but I'll remain optimistic in consideration of a possible third season, that they will learn from their mistakes here and stop with the messing up of pace.

Peace out.
Old 2008-04-01, 19:37   Link #22
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
The animation quality and voice acting for this anime was incredible. Very well-casted Japanese voice actors, and superb animation quality (particularly during action scenes).

Plot-wise, the anime meandered and slowed down a bit too much in the first half. Just one too many slice-of-life episodes, and at least one too few action-oriented episodes, during the first half of the anime.

However, I have no significant complaints about the second half of the anime, and I was thoroughly pleased with the first few Pheles-oriented episodes, the Yuji becomes a man/Sabrac arc, and the final arc.

I will say, though, that episode 24 is a bad ending unless we get more anime Shana. So, my total series rating of 9/10 is dependent on there being more anime Shana. With out there being more anime Shana, this second season would only rate a 8/10 or even a 7/10 for me.

However, I have a strong feeling that there will be more anime Shana, so Shana II gets a 9/10 for me (a point lost for the overabundance of slice-of-life in the first half of the anime).
Old 2008-04-01, 22:38   Link #23
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
The quality of the animation and sound is no doubt one of the best. But story plot wise and how it advanced is in what I would call average. Seeing as season 1 left us off with a cliffhanger, now season 2 will definitely lead into season 3 seeing as bel masque isn't even done with their schemes seeing as they seem to have something else planned out. I just think they shouldn't break it off into seasons but rather just make it a continuous anime like naruto or bleach.

I gave it a 8 out of 10 because even if there was a lot more romance schenes than actual plot, besides the plot of the love between shana and yuji.
Old 2008-04-02, 03:01   Link #24
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
While I am willing to complain about JC Staff not following novels (but hey, when did they ever followed novels?) I still cannot see this season as something bad.

It is not as bad as ZnT II and for that we should be thankful I think. We do not have a 12 episode rushed crap where we do not even know who the main characters are due to some side characters stealing all the focus where the main plot advances only in two last epsiodes where they put in 4 novel books.

We
Spoiler for ZnT II ending:

Instead we have pretty solid flow of the story with character development. yet the pacing, espacially in the first half was off. Yet it still could be worse.

Romance aspect was done pretty poorly even if it was one of the main focus (due to slice-of life) in this season. Action wasn't that great either.

VA was as great as ever. And the mediocre animation sometimes showed the potential.

Yes it could have been better if it would have followed the novels, but again it could have been worse in ZnT II kind of way.

So all and all, I am still giving this season a solid 8.

Not as good as SnS1 but not as bad as some other JC Staff productions.
Old 2008-04-02, 10:41   Link #25
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Ok, I watched ep 23 and 24. They were great.

Final impression: Well, it was a pretty decent series. If the genres would had been balanced well, if the episodes would had been broadcasted in different order, it would had been an awesome series. Now it's just 8/10 for me, and just another check in my list.
Old 2008-04-02, 11:41   Link #26
mir
Canta per me...

Send a message via AIM to mir
Well, I for one really enjoyed the Konoe arc. It helped develop Hecate's character to the point where I could see her being a major part of season 3. I only wish they would've had her put on the white mage outfit earlier (like during the festival event, Shana's reaction would've been hilarious I bet). Some see it as slow, I think it was the correct move. Show would've lost much if it was 24 straight episodes of "Oh doomsday is upon us!" The Konoe arc gave us a viable character, helped keep the action fresh and set up future events. What more can you ask from it >.>

Overall though, I think it was a good series. Music and va's were great for the most part, even though I never came to enjoy the 2nd OP. Stuff like Margery's entrance in the Sabrac does score high marks with me.

Animation...better than most of the stuff coming out. Yeah some spots could've probably used more fluff, but they did a good job when it mattered. Can't say I'm displeased with it.

As for the script, I am glad the show did not follow the novels to the letter. Using them as guidelines is great, but it's not such a terrible thing to stray away. Yes, the ending felt a bit rushed, probably could've used an extra episode, or at least another 10 minutes at the end but oh well. It did leave the door open to a new season and that's good.

Overall, 8.5. It had its positive sides, some negatives (yuuji screaming...that irked me quite a bit), but it wasn't a bad show. Worked for me at least....
Old 2008-04-03, 09:02   Link #27
Goshin

Send a message via AIM to Goshin Send a message via Yahoo to Goshin
This season was aright IMO. the first thing that pissed me me off was the first episode where kazumi shows up with the same bs, me and shana shared the same emotion of wtf. I tried my best to enjoy the rest of the series. got really pissed by the fact that every time shana is going to confess to yuji some shit happens. i haven't read the novels (cause i can't find them) so i can't compare it.

"The Journey of thousand miles begins with the first step"

Old 2008-04-03, 11:24   Link #28
Xellos
There will be no miracle

Send a message via AIM to Xellos
Finally got around to finishing the season.

The Good:

- Like a lot of other people, I enjoyed the music in this one more than season 1, which is no mean feat. I especially loved the first OP and how they fit it in throughout the series.

- Yuji actually becoming cool. Having a non-pathetic male lead is always a +1 in my book. It's especially nice when you see them evolve from Shinji-esque to Kamina-esque.

- Shana's expression at the end of the last episode! This alone may prompt me to vote for her against my other favorites (sorry, Kagami) in ISML.

- The action was pretty good when they finally got around to it.

The Bad:

- The first half of the season. Honestly, they could've compressed down to a few episodes. I like rabu kome, but get rid of the Ike amusement park episode. I mean he's hardly a presence as it is anyways. This show wasn't meant to be a slife of life/school drama. The Fumina arc dragged on way too long and wasted time and resources that could've been spent elsewhere...namely my next issue.

- The plot and execution. I've only read the first two novels so I'm not sure how much the series actually deviates from the canon. However, the whole idea of making a giant Tomogara just seems random. That wouldn't bother me except that there's not enough backstory for it...it just seems to pop out of the blue. A lot of this, of course, lies in the poor execution done by JC Staff. The first half took too long to do what it needed to do. Which in turn left too little time to properly set up the plot for the second half. Also, I thought the Silver getting mind fucked by a memory was somewhat ridiculous.

- No satisfying antagonists. I was pumped by anticipation for Pheles, but that turned out to be somewhat unsatisfying. The episodes with Sabrac were kinda cool, but we saw too little of him imo. I was hoping to see more direct confrontation with Balle Masque more than anything else. When it actually happened, it was pretty awesome though.

- Kazumi: Idk if she's any better in the novels, but please stop talking. JC staff had my hopes up when they animated her dissappearing in the final episode. It'd be perfect for that meme pic of the four dudes sitting around in one frame and then all excited in the next.

Conclusion: They had so potential for season 2, but it got bungled. I still enjoyed the series (partly due to my Shana-ism), but it was definitely a downer compared to season one. I'm hoping for a movie, OAV, or even a season 3 to give some redemption.

Overall rating: 7/10
Old 2008-04-03, 13:29   Link #29
Flibble
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos View Post
Kazumi: Idk if she's any better in the novels, but please stop talking. JC staff had my hopes up when they animated her dissappearing in the final episode. It'd be perfect for that meme pic of the four dudes sitting around in one frame and then all excited in the next.
Ok not really a 4koma but nm lol...
Spoiler for oh well nevermind, i only feel slightly dirty posting this...:

Tbh, this mirrors the series, started off poorly, got better, then improved even more, then had a questionable rushed ending...

Although saying that i really enjoyed episode 24, however the silver was an amazing anti-climax, and it didn't really feel like the end of a series, maybe because i'd felt the series had not long started to heat up...
Old 2008-04-03, 13:39   Link #30
Xellos
There will be no miracle

Send a message via AIM to Xellos
Flibble that is amazingly epic and exactly what I had in mind. Concur that the image reflects the anime. They could've salvaged the series a bit if they tacked on a few more episodes to flesh out the ending better.

Anyways +1 for the image
Old 2008-04-03, 18:30   Link #31
Highlygifted

I just picked up the series two days ago, and I'm now done with all episodes. From what I see, season 2 seems too stitched together. It lacks anything other than some development, and I would like to see the development be put into use. The whole first half of SnS II made me wanna drop it, but it gradually saved itself. The ending however, was too rushed, and generally, made the season look incomplete. However, I did indeed enjoy it even through the sub-par ending, so I guess a 8/10 is in order despite the flaws it holds.
Old 2008-04-04, 22:45   Link #32
DX HBK
I'm the Showstopper!

Well, the season seemed okay but I guess the entire Shakugan no Shana anime seemed close to its end. I'll end this with a bit of closure. When the time comes and the value of the series becomes only memory, the J.C. Staff will one day have to take Shana out to the back of the woodshed and put her out of her misery. And when that day comes, she'll be given a chance to fly for the last time before they cock the rifle and blast her out of the sky.

Last edited by DX HBK; 2008-04-05 at 17:26.
Old 2008-04-06, 03:28   Link #33
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Overall score: 89.53%

+
Yuuji grew strong to cast Fuzetsu, Unrestricted spells, attacking with Flame, and wielding the Blutsaüger with ease.

Yuuji backed up Shana in the last battle for this season.

Shana openly admitted that she loves Yuuji.

Shana personally trained Yuuji.

The epilogue openly hints that Yuuji chose Shana.

The rest of the characters grew up and move to their separate ways.

Phele's arc put the show back on track.

Sabrac rules.

-
One quarter of the series was spent on Konoe Fumina, which severely slowed down the story's progression.

Most of the new Tomogara, which made appearances in this season, are affiliated to the Bal Masque. We need new bad guys.

All Bal Masque survives again.

Kazumi bitching about her own uselessness when she should just had use the hougu, then die.
Old 2008-04-06, 19:35   Link #34
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

The good

-
Yuji is developed very nicely from his season 1 counterpart
- Shana is moe, its a fact
- Battle scenes were IMO better than in season 1
- The music and BGM were really really good, I loved them all
- Yuji starts to return some of Shana's feelings
- Sabrac made this season epic win
- Pheles was also really cool character
- Yoshida gets dumped ftw

The Bad
- Konoe Fumina
- IMO 2 episodes were wasted completely (ep 5: Wilhelmina learns to cook and ep 7: Amusement Park)
- Ike did nothing in the end
- Yoshida still lives
- could have mixed the character dev and battles better

Overall even though I found the first half of the season kinda dull in comparison to the first after ep 13 this show became so good it just made me forget about the other episodes....I ended loving this season just as much as the first so I can't give it anything below 10/10
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Old 2008-04-09, 12:12   Link #35
newby

Send a message via MSN to newby
lol this series was ok for me but it was worse compared to the 1st season.

the VAs were great, especially rie kugimiya (shana) haha. seeing yuuji become strong is also part of the pluses of this season.

however the season was too draggy already. the konoe arc was dragged for such a long time, and the ike amusement park was irrelevant. the quality was ok only.
the battles werent tt nice as well.

overall i found the season rather enjoyable cuz its still shana, but it could have been better if it sticked to the novels.
Old 2008-04-11, 07:02   Link #36
-Ton-

Like many others, I hated the Konoe arc. After developing Konoe's character so much, she just "melted" away in a blink of an eye. And the amusement park episode was just to provide some comic relief. Poor insignificant Ike, I wouldn't even have noticed him if not for that episode.

However, I enjoyed the fast-paced action in the second half of the season, where the endless battles and great artwork captivated me. Although the ending seemed slightly rushed, I am definitely looking forward to S3.

Overall: 8/10
Old 2008-04-11, 07:06   Link #37
ForgedGlory
Fortitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibble View Post
Ok not really a 4koma but nm lol...
Spoiler for oh well nevermind, i only feel slightly dirty posting this...:

Tbh, this mirrors the series, started off poorly, got better, then improved even more, then had a questionable rushed ending...

Although saying that i really enjoyed episode 24, however the silver was an amazing anti-climax, and it didn't really feel like the end of a series, maybe because i'd felt the series had not long started to heat up...
Best pic ever! lol, I laughed a little too hard at this one XD
Old 2008-04-14, 22:07   Link #38
DX HBK
I'm the Showstopper!

Fight scenes got a bit better at the end compared to the middle of the season but the characters aren't even performing up to the level expected based on their combat potential. The only exception would be anything involving Sabrac, which stands as the top point.

Anyways, Shana and Wilhelmina could've done better against Hecate and Sydonay after gaining some more flash from the battle against Sabrac.

Shana: Same old sword slashing and close-range range combat without being creative. What ever happened to using long-range fire attacks or try disarming your foe?

Wilhelmina: Those tricks and tactics used against Sabrac could've been worthy equalizers. And they call you the Specialist of Everything in the English dub...

Tactical error: Did not fight to their full potential, which could've also wrecked part of the Statue of Pride. Should've tried that in addition to using the Statue of Pride in detering the Balle Masque resistance. An advantage not fully utilized.

Hecate: If I had a Winchester 300 Sniper rifle, I could've blasted you out of the sky in the time you flew around between engagements against Shana. If that's all you got for grappling skills, I could beat you blindfolded.

Sydonay: I don't know if either this guy's fantasies about Hecate or activities that center on molesting Yuji has toned his skills. Big spear attacks that could be seen a mile away. Why not transform into your chimera form if you wanted to kill Flame Haze?
Old 2008-04-15, 08:24   Link #39
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX HBK View Post
Fight scenes got a bit better at the end compared to the middle of the season but the characters aren't even performing up to the level expected based on their combat potential. The only exception would be anything involving Sabrac, which stands as the top point.

Anyways, Shana and Wilhelmina could've done better against Hecate and Sydonay after gaining some more flash from the battle against Sabrac.

Shana: Same old sword slashing and close-range range combat without being creative. What ever happened to using long-range fire attacks or try disarming your foe?

Wilhelmina: Those tricks and tactics used against Sabrac could've been worthy equalizers. And they call you the Specialist of Everything in the English dub...

Tactical error: Did not fight to their full potential, which could've also wrecked part of the Statue of Pride. Should've tried that in addition to using the Statue of Pride in detering the Balle Masque resistance. An advantage not fully utilized.

Hecate: If I had a Winchester 300 Sniper rifle, I could've blasted you out of the sky in the time you flew around between engagements against Shana. If that's all you got for grappling skills, I could beat you blindfolded.

Sydonay: I don't know if either this guy's fantasies about Hecate or activities that center on molesting Yuji has toned his skills. Big spear attacks that could be seen a mile away. Why not transform into your chimera form if you wanted to kill Flame Haze?
I think that when Shana fights with Yuji's safety being first and foremost on her mind, her emotions tend to run a bit wild, and she's governed by raging charges and sword blitzes moreso than by cool and calm tactical precision. The positive is that her attacks are probably a bit faster, and perhaps rushing adrenaline also makes her attacks more powerful. The negative is that there's not much thought put into her attacks.

I was actually very impressed with Hecate's close quarters combat with Shana - Hecate keeps up with her speed-wise, and matches her move for move.

Hecate and Sydonay were in a defensive position for the fight, and hence took the same sort of approach that a savvy NHL goalie does against a shooter coming down on him on a breakaway - wait him out, move with him, let him make the first move, and then match it.

Remember, Hecate and Sydonay didn't have to eliminate Shana and Wilhelmina - they just had to stave them off until the Statue of Pride was ready, and then let the Statue do its thing.

So, their defensive strategy and posture made sense to me. Sydonay could have perhaps fought smarter, but I felt that Hecate was excellent, and I think that you're being way too critical of her here. I don't really expect Hecate to be Kurt Angle...

I agree with you on Wilhelmina, however. She wasn't anywhere near as effective as she was against Sabrac.
Old 2008-04-16, 00:49   Link #40
Silverwyrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I agree with you on Wilhelmina, however. She wasn't anywhere near as effective as she was against Sabrac.
yea sabrac fight brought out alot of things wilhelmina could have done that I never knew, but then she went back to the "same ol' tactic" after that, hope I get to see her really trying again sometime
Closed Thread