AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-02, 16:53   Link #441
Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick View Post
Thanks for the repost did miss that one.

Why then did the first thing out of her mouth was about "Alto's present". This once again just goes to show that Alto's present was her primary concern. She could have said I need to go stop this battle because people are going to die, or I need to stop this battle so I can find out more about Galaxy. But instead she wanted to stop the battle so that Alto could fly. How romantic of her but then how is Ranka stopping the battle to give Alto his present so wrong and Sheryl doing the exact same thing so noble? I ponder this and can't fathom the answer.
I suggest you rewatch that scene again. Since it start off with Alto saying about how maintaining her health is part of her job, which she agrees to. She's basically trying to get out of bed to fulfil her job and give Alto the sky she promised him for his birthday. But it starts off about her job. The present was just part of it.
Old 2008-07-02, 20:48   Link #442
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
I suggest you rewatch that scene again. Since it start off with Alto saying about how maintaining her health is part of her job, which she agrees to. She's basically trying to get out of bed to fulfil her job and give Alto the sky she promised him for his birthday. But it starts off about her job. The present was just part of it.
Just re-watched the episode. Needed to get an updated sub version anyway. I'll try to explain the scene in detail.

Alto- Geez of all the reckless... I thought health maintence was part of being a professional.
Sheryl- You're right. I have no excuse.

This isn't about her fulfilling her job. It's about her knowing that the fact that she came to Galia IV while sick was the wrong thing to do. One of the blog entires from Sheryl translated in the Romance thread has her talking about sick people who try to go to work. She's shows in the entry that she fully aware of the fact that going to work while sick is the wrong way to do something and that as a true professional wouldn't because it would cause more unnecessary problems. So why did she go if she knew this?

Alto- Fine. Just sleep. Singing won't change anything now.
Sheryl- But I... Present...The sky...for you.

There's the answer for why she pushed herself. Clear as day. Not for galaxy, not for her job, but for Alto. Ranka put her life in danger also in this episode for Alto yet you guys criticize her for it while saying Sheryl was pushing herself for some noble cause. She wasn't.
Old 2008-07-02, 21:02   Link #443
daimonth
Kohaku Law Firm

Quote:
Just re-watched the episode. Needed to get an updated sub version anyway. I'll try to explain the scene in detail.

Alto- Geez of all the reckless... I thought health maintence was part of being a professional.
Sheryl- You're right. I have no excuse.

This isn't about her fulfilling her job. It's about her knowing that the fact that she came to Galia IV while sick was the wrong thing to do. One of the blog entires from Sheryl translated in the Romance thread has her talking about sick people who try to go to work. She's shows in the entry that she fully aware of the fact that going to work while sick is the wrong way to do something and that as a true professional wouldn't because it would cause more unnecessary problems. So why did she go if she knew this?

Alto- Fine. Just sleep. Singing won't change anything now.
Sheryl- But I... Present...The sky...for you.

There's the answer for why she pushed herself. Clear as day. Not for galaxy, not for her job, but for Alto. Ranka put her life in danger also in this episode for Alto yet you guys criticize her for it while saying Sheryl was pushing herself for some noble cause. She wasn't.
I am sorry, go back and watch the episode before again. She was pushing herself to go to Galia 4 before she know of Altos birthday or thought of the present.
Old 2008-07-02, 21:04   Link #444
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Sheryl was indeed only thinking about Alto in that short exchange between him and her. Its not a case where flying acts as a bonus to her job, its a case where she wanted to give Alto something he always dreamed of.

However, this development indicates that Sheryl is unconsciously putting Alto before her job, and that she is slowly but surely begin to take his 'needs' more seriously. Although she is not at the stage where she is consciously aware of them.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-02, 21:19   Link #445
Slick_rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimonth View Post
I am sorry, go back and watch the episode before again. She was pushing herself to go to Galia 4 before she know of Altos birthday or thought of the present.
I never disputed that her original reason was because of Galaxy. But it becomes clear that after the primary focused shifted almost exclusively to Alto. In Ep11 she had just got a slight fever and thought she could fight through it with willpower. In Ep12 though she couldn't even stand but she was more concerned about Alto's gift than anything to do with Galaxy. Alto > Galaxy in her mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Sheryl was indeed only thinking about Alto in that short exchange between him and her. Its not a case where flying acts as a bonus to her job, its a case where she wanted to give Alto something he always dreamed of.

However, this development indicates that Sheryl is unconsciously putting Alto before her job, and that she is slowly but surely begin to take his 'needs' more seriously. Although she is not at the stage where she is consciously aware of them.

- Tak
I agree though I think both her and Ranka are starting down the path where Alto's their number one priority. I don't see this as a bad thing and how you can bash Ranka for being single-minded when it comes to Alto since Sheryl just as bad.
Old 2008-07-02, 21:36   Link #446
Tak

Quote:
I agree though I think both her and Ranka are starting down the path where Alto's their number one priority. I don't see this as a bad thing and how you can bash Ranka for being single-minded when it comes to Alto since Sheryl just as bad.
Well, I cannot bash Ranka for single minded, but she sure is far, and I mean, far more dedicated to securing Alto (close to the point of obsession) than Sheryl right now.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-02, 21:36   Link #447
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
Horrible analogy since it takes 5 seconds to type, "Ranka ftw lol @ Sheryl". As for being too busy buying cds there's still 8000 less Ranka fans compared to Sheryl going by opening week figures
You do realize that out of those 42, 000 sales, many of them bought the album because they're long-time May'n fans, not Sheryl's. Ranka/Megumi's is a debut and has still yet to prove herself. But I guess she and Ranka already did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
... you don't know man, you just don't know...

See, I read these forums often, and when 12 aired, there were praises for Ranka (so they aren't just laughing or buying CDs), but also an overwhelming universal lamentation for Sheryl's fall. This also includes many (less extreme) Ranka fans.
I guess I don't really know since I didn't see the forum myself, but that's understandable, I felt bad for Sheryl here too and I'm a Ranka fan lol

Also, I doubt Ranka became less popular especially after this episode promoted her in such a light. Ranka's sales definitely doesn't suggest this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_rick
LOL! Very true. Why can't people just admit that Sheryl's just as single-minded as Ranka here?
Old 2008-07-02, 21:41   Link #448
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
LOL! Very true. Why can't people just admit that Sheryl's just as single-minded as Ranka here?
Now see, I never disagreed with that. In fact, I pointed that out a few posts back. There is a slight difference though, Sheryl's single-mindedness is in the stage of development, while Ranka's... blossomed a while ago

Quote:
You do realize that out of those 42, 000 sales, many of them bought the album because they're long-time May'n fans, not Sheryl's. Ranka/Megumi's is a debut and has still yet to prove herself. But I guess she and Ranka already did...
Actually, May'n was never very mainstream. People who knew her were few and far in between. She cited on her website stating that Macross Frontier was pretty much her first breakthrough role. Prior to that, she was relatively unknown, and her choice of music as herself was a drastic contrast to her songs as Sheryl.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-02, 21:52   Link #449
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
Actually, May'n was never very mainstream. People who knew her were few and far in between. She cited on her website stating that Macross Frontier was pretty much her first breakthrough role. Prior to that, she was relatively unknown, and her choice of music as herself was a drastic contrast to her songs as Sheryl.

- Tak
Still doesn't mean she has no fans. I thought she released five singles before this. I don't think those 'few' fans of hers only add up to a hundred
Old 2008-07-02, 22:01   Link #450
Tak

Quote:
Still doesn't mean she has no fans. I thought she released five singles before this. I don't think those 'few' fans of hers only add up to a hundred
But her fans certainly would not amount to many as you like them to be.

Her last single was released in 2006, a heck of a long time for people to remember, considering her status as a relatively low-profile singer before debuting in M:F.

Thus, using her existing 'fanbase' (if she had any, at all) as the basis for her success is a bit of a stretch, a very long one at that (including a drastic change from her standard fare). Like Nakajima, she proved herself debuting in the same show, nothing more. Compared to both of them though, Sakamoto is a pro, and she did worse than both of them (figure wise).

- Tak
Old 2008-07-02, 22:04   Link #451
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Just out of curiosity, why are people suddenly equating fans of the music with fans of the characters themselves?

Aren't you essentially just measuring the size of the teenybopper demographic?
Old 2008-07-02, 22:12   Link #452
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm View Post
Just out of curiosity, why are people suddenly equating fans of the music with fans of the characters themselves?

Aren't you essentially just measuring the size of the teenybopper demographic?
Thats what I would like to find out...

Suddenly Ani_d is reminding me that Ranka's popularity and CD sales are not falling because of episode 12, even though I made no mention of such, but whatever.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-02, 22:18   Link #453
ani_d

Quote:
But her fans certainly would not amount to many as you like them to be.
Well, that "many" can might as well equate to approximately 8000 of those 42,000 sales. I'm just pointing out that all of Sheryl's sales isn't really all hers. May'n does have an existing fanbase. That much is true.

By the way, I don't have anything against Sheryl's single though. I loved Diamond Crevasse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm
Aren't you essentially just measuring the teenybopper demographic?
Yep, we are.
Old 2008-07-02, 22:46   Link #454
Tak

Quote:
Well, that "many" can might as well equate to approximately 8000 of those 42,000 sales. I'm just pointing out that all of Sheryl's sales isn't really all hers. May'n does have an existing fanbase. That much is true.

What the hell does that have to do with anything!?

And what kind of an absurd comment is "May'n's fanbase is not Sheryl's"? Of course they are not Sheryl's nor are they Ranka's fan-base. Ranka and Sheryl only have their fan-base because of the voice actresses of the show and that the producers consciously selected what they believe to be the best choices. Get any of us to sing for Ranka or Sheryl, and nobody would buy our CDs.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-02, 23:13   Link #455
mike_s_6

Quote:
Wow, try posting that amidst Maaya Sakamoto fans when the Triangler CD had the least first week sales. How long has Maaya been in the industry? More than 10 years! And the fact that she has dedicated forumS and May'n doesn't? I think that the amount of sales reflects the quality of the songs themselves, with Triangler as worst written, and Diamond Crevasse best written and best DELIVERED. Don't be Late isn't too shabby either. Seikan Hikou is somewhere in the middle. It's not bad, but it's not exemplary either. I personally wouldn't buy the Triangler or the Seikan Hikou singles even if they were sold half the price.
Old 2008-07-02, 23:29   Link #456
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Or maybe the writers thought having her list everyone would make for awkward inner monologue. Can't say I'd disagree.
Oh yeah? The staff even took time to portray Sheryl's worry while leaving Ranka's to fans' imagination. How considerate

May'n isn't that popular. I never heard of her before Macross Frontier.
Old 2008-07-02, 23:56   Link #457
ani_d

Quote:

What the hell does that have to do with anything!?

And what kind of an absurd comment is "May'n's fanbase is not Sheryl's"? Of course they are not Sheryl's nor are they Ranka's fan-base. Ranka and Sheryl only have their fan-base because of the voice actresses of the show and that the producers consciously selected what they believe to be the best choices. Get any of us to sing for Ranka or Sheryl, and nobody would buy our CDs.

- Tak
Please don't lose your head off. ^_^ Out of all those sales, people buy them for different reasons. Some because it's May'n and they don't care what's it about, some buy it because it's Sheryl Nome, some buy it for both reason, and some buy it because the song is just really well-done. I repeat, everyone buys them for different reasons. It's the same for Megumi's, only difference is, this is her first time breaking through the music industry. The ones pulling for Megumi are Ranka fans and the quality of the song. Other than her relatives, she doesn't have those people who would gladly buy her album unconditionally just because she's the Megumi Nakajima. That's the difference between a pro and a debutant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6
Wow, try posting that amidst Maaya Sakamoto fans when the Triangler CD had the least first week sales. How long has Maaya been in the industry? More than 10 years! And the fact that she has dedicated forumS and May'n doesn't? I think that the amount of sales reflects the quality of the songs themselves, with Triangler as worst written, and Diamond Crevasse best written and best DELIVERED. Don't be Late isn't too shabby either. Seikan Hikou is somewhere in the middle. It's not bad, but it's not exemplary either. I personally wouldn't buy the Triangler or the Seikan Hikou singles even if they were sold half the price.
I'm not sure if you're upset or what, but I'm pretty sure if Maaya Sakamoto voiced one of the lead characters here in MF, she'll have far better sales than May'n or Megumi.
Old 2008-07-02, 23:59   Link #458
Wesley84

Quote:
Well, I cannot bash Ranka for single minded, but she sure is far, and I mean, far more dedicated to securing Alto (close to the point of obsession) than Sheryl right now.

- Tak
You kidding? Sheryl's the one who's been most active at securing his time and attention. He's been at her beck and call ever since episode 8. Before that, she was stalking the guy to get her earring back, which turned out to be merely an excuse to do so.

At this point, I might agree that Ranka is obsessed, but only because I don't think Alto's worth her attention. Sheryl at least seems to enjoy teasing the crap out of the guy, what's Ranka's reason for wanting his company or attention? He listens to her?
Old 2008-07-03, 00:01   Link #459
zalem

Quote:
I'm not sure if you're upset or what, but I'm pretty sure if Maaya Sakamoto voiced one of the lead characters here in MF, she'll have far better sales than May'n or Megumi.
Not necessarily....Triangular was a truly awful song.
Old 2008-07-03, 00:02   Link #460
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
You kidding? Sheryl's the one who's been most active at securing his time and attention. He's been at her beck and call ever since episode 8. Before that, she was stalking the guy to get her earring back, which turned out to be merely an excuse to do so.
Except Ranka is all I luvvvvvvvv uuuuu!!! While Sheryl is more haha, I did it again!

Well, until now anyway. Sheryl just realized she f*cked up~ But I am sure you see the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
Not necessarily....Triangular was a truly awful song.
THANK YOU! Somebody had to say it!

- Tak
Closed Thread

Tags
characters