AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 30 16.76%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 45 25.14%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 42 23.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 32 17.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 15 8.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 8 4.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 2.79%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.56%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-22, 22:55   Link #101
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I've seen those eyes Maria had before. Shion had them in Higurashi once or twice. There are used for insanity I believe. They are slightly larger on Maria because she's youger and smaller. Maria being insane isn't that hard to believe. That she can be snapped out if it doesn't seem all that far off either if Rosa's had to smack her around a lot because of it. She seemed slightly unhinged before the murders...the more blood, the more unhinged Maria seems to be getting.

As for things "missing", could they be missing on purpose? Not everything that was told in the VN is true. It is easier to get away with a "false" scene in a text form because you can over describe the details and overload the reader's brain until they just aren't sure what it going on. Also you can provide useless facts, hidden truths, and convinient lies in text. These are harder to get across in an audio-visual media where you have a limited amount of time. Also it could be possible that some of the things that are "missing" are missing for a reason. Maybe they were "false" in the VN, just Battler never caught it. Or maybe this is how the anime provides "false" information, to be discovered later? Some mystery series do that sort of thing. Provide the minimal amount of detail to the viewer, but the detective sees more, and you, the viewer, get to see it later on when the detective is presenting his case.

Be patient...maybe they are more clever than you think they are.
(But it is Studio DEEN....)
Old 2009-07-22, 23:10   Link #102
June 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisch View Post
I'll commend DEEN
Spoiler for episode 04:
ARGH

Spoiler:
Old 2009-07-22, 23:45   Link #103
Yushi

Spoiler for Ep 4:

People really drop like flies in this anime :O
Old 2009-07-23, 01:09   Link #104
ameskitty
Kupo

Spoiler for ep 1-4:

Bring on episode 1-5?
Old 2009-07-23, 01:34   Link #105
Skullchukka
Letter from lost days ~

I'm far more excited about this episode than any others. (Well from 1-5) Any English subtitles that I'm not aware of after ragesearching for about 2 hours? (Not asking a link, just asking if there is some ^^)
Also;

Spoiler for Higurashi Kai + Umineko spoilers. It's a silly theory. Very silly. :

Edit: I hope ^ that's not a spoiler from VN. I haven't played all Episodes yet, if it is so (then lulz for mega silly idea being correct) please contact me so I can delete that spoiler immediately. At this point it's just a speculation for me.

Last edited by Skullchukka; 2009-07-23 at 01:51.
Old 2009-07-23, 02:42   Link #106
zorahk

Subs are up now.
Old 2009-07-23, 02:45   Link #107
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

gg sure are fast.
Old 2009-07-23, 03:35   Link #108
Demoned Away

I just finished episode 4, subbed by [gg]... and I'd like to know what a "rape" blossom is?

kthx
Old 2009-07-23, 03:41   Link #109
urusai

It's not what you think....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapeseed
Old 2009-07-23, 03:45   Link #110
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Just a yellow flower, sort of like mustard I guess.

It is suppose to be fairly pretty, in the way that cherry blossoms are pretty I suppose.
Old 2009-07-23, 03:50   Link #111
tcaz2

I give it an 8.

They're getting better... still leaving a good bit of stuff out, but the episode was very entertaining. Cutting all of Battler's emotional reactions to things was a very questionable decision though, I have to say.

Spoiler for Next episode possibly:
Old 2009-07-23, 04:07   Link #112
Demoned Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcaz2 View Post
I give it an 8.

They're getting better... still leaving a good bit of stuff out, but the episode was very entertaining. Cutting all of Battler's emotional reactions to things was a very questionable decision though, I have to say.

Spoiler for Next episode possibly:
Maybe they could make it an hour long episode? Hmm... would that even be enough to fit everything?
Old 2009-07-23, 04:08   Link #113
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Well somehow I managed to forget the episode was yesterday and not today. That's what you get when you have a 4 day weekend I suppose. Still, I seemed to find the episode a lot more enjoyable watched with a nice full screen raw than I think I would've watching the stream in a small window spamming 'They used X tune!' to my whole MSN list... so I might just wait for the raw in future.

As a result my only real complaint is that the system0 scene was kind of ruined by the stupid mackarel can That isn't a scene I should be laughing out loud in, but I was, and then it was all ruined. Loved the use of the game's bounce-off-the-walls sound effect too, that was a sweet little touch. Sure, the remix of system0 could've been a bit louder and more powerful, but the fact that the tune was there at all made me happy. Honestly, a slightly watered down version of a classic game track is leagues better than the overambient mush from Higurashi. I can't help but feel some people are just flat out spoiled, to be honest.
Old 2009-07-23, 04:13   Link #114
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoned Away View Post
Maybe they could make it an hour long episode? Hmm... would that even be enough to fit everything?
Actually the problem is more of there ISN'T enough material left for this arc to last 20+ minutes.
Old 2009-07-23, 04:19   Link #115
Demoned Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Actually the problem is more of there ISN'T enough material left for this arc to last 20+ minutes.
Oh I see. Sorry~ I haven't read the VNs yet. At the moment I'm an anime-only fan.
Old 2009-07-23, 04:43   Link #116
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthX View Post
Unrealistic expectations. There's things called a budget and time restraints. The medium is also different. You can't have 20 minutes of nothing happening and expect the viewer to stick around. As a result, it's impossible to have a near perfect adaption. An anime adaption will always be a condensed version of the visual novel.

I don't believe someone who's played the visual novel can judge whether the atmosphere or pace are good. Because both will always be inferior to the VN. You need to hear what people who haven't played it think.
Oh I've heard, and the vast majority of them say that it is going good so far (or at least above average) hence why I am giving up saying otherwise.

And I don't think I am being unrealistic with my expectations. Time constraints agreeable (such as being limited to a set amount of episodes even though having one extra episode for the arc would have improved the amount of content they can force in considerably) but budget being the reason for QUALITY is rather unacceptable...with things like Canaan running around looking like it is straight from an OVA series. And especially for a series like this where it is quite popular, you would expect a better work of the overall quality instead of using "we are a poor studio" as an excuse.

And going from one extreme to another, all I am asking for is more of the depth shown from the game, not a big wall of narrative text to be said so boring? nah. Once again you can be shown the facts of what happens with the story but you aren't bring shown the emotion behind it (and for that ---> VN).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varion View Post
As a result my only real complaint is that the system0 scene was kind of ruined by the stupid mackarel can That isn't a scene I should be laughing out loud in, but I was, and then it was all ruined.
Thing is...they were meant to be stocking up for overnight and all they brought was 1 (ONE!) tin of mackerel for all 8 of them...wow I'm speechless

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2009-07-23, 04:56   Link #117
MarthX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
There is. The tea party alone could fill the 20 minutes if they left most of the dialog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz
And especially for a series like this where it is quite popular, you would expect a better work of the overall quality instead of using "we are a poor studio" as an excuse.
Studio DEEN hasn't made a good looking anime in a long time, so it was obvious from the start that it wouldn't have that level of quality.
Old 2009-07-23, 05:11   Link #118
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthX View Post
Studio DEEN hasn't made a good looking anime in a long time, so it was obvious from the start that it wouldn't have that level of quality.
Their current other work this season 07-Ghost looks pretty damn good to me (and I know since I am currently watching). I'm also surprised that they did Touka Gettan as well so once again I don't buy that excuse. In fact it shouldn't even be an excuse any self respecting studio should be proud of ("lulz you are left with QUALITY but that is acceptable because we have a track record of producing QUALITY").

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2009-07-23, 05:19   Link #119
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Okay just saw it subbed.

The Bad:

1. Pacing is a bit fast again but that really isn't the problem; the problem is the setup for episode 5. As I've posted before and some people also believe so, there doesn't seem to be enough post-arc material left to fill up an entire episode, unless of course they plan to insert Ep2 near the end which wuld be... blegh.

2. Klashikari pointed out the change they had in the scenes leading to the boiler room. As he said, they were supposed to be in the kitchen working when they hear the sounds from the boiler room and Kanon is supposed to have run ahead before Kumasawa could catch up, with him dying inside. This in turn could actually have made a major retcon to the story, since the circumstances surrounding his death is altered from the original storyline now that Kumasawa is by the boiler room door rather than being somewhere in between the kitchen and the boiler room.

This could have major implications in the future, but I'll see where it goes.

The Good:

1. Maria's supposed to be a mix of creepy child and retarded child, to some extent anyway. Even then, watching her sing that song while the servants and Nanjo have stakes protruding from their abdomen, legs and knees was awesome.

2. They almost had the tension of the standoff between Natsuhi and the servants right. It was still a bit too fast but it was good.

Quote:
There is. The tea party alone could fill the 20 minutes if they left most of the dialog.
IF they leave in most of the dialogue. The first part of the scenes are somewhat superfluous violence anyway.
Old 2009-07-23, 05:23   Link #120
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I don't agree that just because one has read the VN they can't possibly judge the pacing and the atmosphere. When people are dying and the survivors reaction to that is an over the top fake looking crying and screaming one after another or ignoring the event completely after thirty seconds because they have to rush to the next scene I fell perfectly entitled to say that pacing is appalling. The creators of the anime seem to be in love with Maria and her stupid distorted faces get more attention and screentime than half of the murders.

And sure it helps to have read the VN to see some of the stupididty of the way the story is presented but come on - Natsuhi points the gun at Kumasawa, Genji and Nanjo, tells them to get out of the safest place and go where a vicious killer is supposed to be lurking and they do it with barely a protest? What is wrong with these people? Kinzo's body caused barely any reaction, you'd think this guy is the lowest servant, not the head of the family. It's like these peopel are in some game and remember to be scared or suspicious of each other only when the plot really demands it because they have to take certain action.

Closed Thread