AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-04-26, 09:49   Link #21
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

And where pray tell do you get your info from? I don't think one can argue with japanese stats on an official site.
DrWho2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 09:58   Link #22
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
"Sazae-san" is a national pasttime anime that has been on air since 1969. It started as a local newspaper comic just right after the war in 1946, by the late Hasegawa Machiko. With its satirical jokes about post war life, it came into the national arena when it began its serialization on the national Asahi Shinbun (daily comic serialized from 1949 to 1974). With the anime spanning 35 years, it currently has over 1700 airings and 5400 episodes (less specials, this anime is a 30 minute program with three episodes each). And of course, this would not be possible without its millions of viewers as it attained the immovable spot of being a national icon.
I'm actually quite curious what Sazae-san anime like, but that is a dreadful number of episodes for someone that never seen it at all. >_<

There got to be a reason why a show can last that long and I'm very interested in seeing it. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 12:22   Link #23
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
I'm actually quite curious what Sazae-san anime like, but that is a dreadful number of episodes for someone that never seen it at all. >_<

There got to be a reason why a show can last that long and I'm very interested in seeing it. ^^
Someone made a Flash tribute of Sazae-san. I think he/she incoporated one of the theme songs as well.

http://shuxx.hp.infoseek.co.jp/staffroll.html
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 12:34   Link #24
Secca
nya`
*Artist

woah, It's looks strange, I cannot really tell much from that piece, so many strange thing going on, like the beam shoot from forehead, and a boy got shot with some arrows. Holy Christ, that one evil looking kid. >_<
Old 2004-04-26, 13:00   Link #25
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Someone made a Flash tribute of Sazae-san. I think he/she incoporated one of the theme songs as well.

http://shuxx.hp.infoseek.co.jp/staffroll.html
That is a very famous Flash joke about "the dark-side of Sazae-san"

In actuality, Sazae-san is just a cynical and funny view of everyday normal life in a normal Japanese household. Although the family system is now more likely to be nuclear, this keeps the original extended family system intact where you have:

Isono Namihei - the father
Isono Funa - the mother
Isono Wakame - the youngest daughter
Isono Katsuo - the eldest son
Fuguta (nee:Isono) Sazae - the eldest daughter
Fuguta Masuo - married to Sazae
Fuguta Tara - child to Sazae and Masuo
Tama - the household cat

all living in one house.

The OP sequence changes every month or so. The song remains the same for the past 35 years, but the sequence is usually a scenery of Sazae-san touring a certain place in Japan. Due to the anime being a national icon, cities and towns that wishes to have their spot in the OP as a PR (tourism ad) for their locale can pay 7,000,000 yen to the Sazae-san Foundation.

I don't think this anime will appeal to people outside of Japan. It is an anime about everyday life in Japan from the perspective of a school child (Katsuo & Wakame), as a spouse (Sazae & Funa), as a parent (Funa & Namihei), as a corporate worker (Namihei & Masuo), and as a young child (Tara). Perhaps, this would be a good anime to watch to get a better understanding on Japanese life. But as for entertainment for foreigners, no. Its entertainment for us, because it depicts what we live through everyday - cynically. For someone that hasn't lived here, it would be rather boring - just as "The Simpsons" was boring for us but very entertaining to you.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 13:18   Link #26
a7m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca

The first dozen or so volumes of the Sazae-san manga are available in bilingual format published by Kodansha. It's probably the best place to start if you are intersted in Sazae-san.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=sazae-san
a7m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 13:40   Link #27
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Everyday life in Japan, something like shown in Rumiko Gekijou? Neighbours gossiping, getting along with parents, kids pulling pranks, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7m4
The first dozen or so volumes of the Sazae-san manga are available in bilingual format published by Kodansha. It's probably the best place to start if you are intersted in Sazae-san.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=sazae-san
thanks for the link, I gona try to get one. ^^
Old 2004-04-26, 13:41   Link #28
cindialai
Tsukimori

Send a message via MSN to cindialai
anyone know japanese well enough to translate

i did most of the translating of the anime titles on the chart but i didn't know some of the special's name.. so can someone help me?

cindia.topcities.com/need.doc

just reply by the number that you translated and the translation.. thanks or msg privately if you want.
Old 2004-04-28, 08:46   Link #29
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I just got the first volume of Sazae san manga, some of the joke I don't get it, but some really amusing when I understand, I like Sazae san. ^^
Old 2004-04-28, 15:15   Link #30
cindialai
Tsukimori

Send a message via MSN to cindialai
Last Week's Ratings

1 Sazaesan サザエさん
2 Doraemon ドラえもん
3 Atashi'n Chi あたしンち
4 Chibi Maruko-chan ちびまる子ちゃん
5 Inuyasha Special 犬夜叉スペシャル
6 Naruto NARUTO
7 One Piece アニメ7
8 Gold Gashu's Bell 金色のガッシュベル!
9 Bird of Fire NHKアニメ劇場・火の鳥
10 Selfish Fairy Mirumo de Pon! わがままフェアリーミルモでポン!わんだほう
10 Pretty Cure ふたりはプリキュア

hope I correctly translated it..
Old 2004-04-28, 19:13   Link #31
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindialai
1 Sazaesan サザエさん
2 Doraemon ドラえもん
3 Atashi'n Chi あたしンち
4 Chibi Maruko-chan ちびまる子ちゃん
5 Inuyasha Special 犬夜叉スペシャル
6 Naruto NARUTO
7 One Piece アニメ7
8 Gold Gashu's Bell 金色のガッシュベル!
9 Bird of Fire NHKアニメ劇場・火の鳥
10 Selfish Fairy Mirumo de Pon! わがままフェアリーミルモでポン!わんだほう
10 Pretty Cure ふたりはプリキュア

hope I correctly translated it..
#7: "Anime7" actually means FujiTV's anime hour at 7PM Sundays. This means, it includes "Kochira Katsushikaku Kameari Kouen-mae Hatsushutsujo" (http://www.fujitv.co.jp/b_hp/kotikame/index.html) at 19:00-19:30 and "ONE PIECE" from 19:30-20:00

"Kochira~" or known in Japan simply as "Kochikame" is the longest running comic in Shonen Jump - since 1976. It manga tankoubons spans 138 volumes, and counting. Its basically about a policeman named Ryotsu Kankichi. What happens? Anything - from Ryotsu going to hell, Ryotsu buying and explaing the latest air guns, to Ryotsu making sushi on an American aircraft carrier. Anything goes in this manga.
Old 2004-04-30, 01:36   Link #32
H2-FumoGuu
パンツ。。。好き

I want to know why most of these shows don't have better animation if they are in the top 10 and making more money than a well-drawn show like Chrno Crusade, Paranoia Agent, or Last Exile. Heck, if I had to pick the worst looking anime that I watch I think PoT, Gash, and Naruto would on the list.

I understand that casual viewers don't care as much about animation quality and some of the top 10 shows by nature don't need good animation (Maruko, Doraemon, Sazae). But some of these shows do need good animation. If Naruto were consistently well animated instead of one out of twenty-six epsidoes, how awesome would that be?
H2-FumoGuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 01:52   Link #33
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2-FumoGuu
I want to know why most of these shows don't have better animation if they are in the top 10 and making more money than a well-drawn show like Chrno Crusade, Paranoia Agent, or Last Exile. Heck, if I had to pick the worst looking anime that I watch I think PoT, Gash, and Naruto would on the list.

I understand that casual viewers don't care as much about animation quality and some of the top 10 shows by nature don't need good animation (Maruko, Doraemon, Sazae). But some of these shows do need good animation. If Naruto were consistently well animated instead of one out of twenty-six epsidoes, how awesome would that be?
I don't think most people care about what's a good animation, or they just not aware about what's considered a good animation. Unless you are an anime otaku, most people wouldn't even know the difference.

And there is the deadline vs quality problem, if they have more time, I'm sure they will make a better quality animation, but a TV show must be on schedule, so they have to sacrifice some quality in order to stay on schedule.
Old 2004-04-30, 02:08   Link #34
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2-FumoGuu

Simple: cost effectiveness.

While not entirely always, it is generally accepted that the number of episodes is inversely proportional to the quality of the animation.

Say for instance a typical anime costs around...oh let's just say 10,000,000 yen per episode.
At 13 episodes, that would cost 130,000,000 yen
At 26 episodes, that would cost 260,000,000 yen
Those numbers are feasible enough for several anime-related companies to get together to sponsor the costs.

But let's say you have an anime that is so popular that it is obviously going to easily be over 100+ episodes. Even if such popular anime has multinational corporations as sponsors, they are not going to be making an anime with the normal rate of 10,000,000 yen per episode. At 100 episodes, that would mean they would be spending a total of 1,000,000,000 yen. Instead, they would be making two, even three animes per 10,000,000 yen to save costs.

As always, a bad analogy would be:
A mass-produced consumer vehicle would be much cheaper than a Enzo Ferrari.
Old 2004-05-23, 03:51   Link #35
NeoSamurai

the site

can someone expalin the site with the ratings to me? there's 8 different "menus" with 10 japanese names under, are those menmus for different channels or what, if not, which of em is for anime?
NeoSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 10:27   Link #36
wnkryo
HainShodan

I thought over all and not weekly, One Piece is most popular in japan.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-23, 11:50   Link #37
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Week of May 10-16
1. Sazae-san
2. Chibi-Maruko-chan
3. Meitantei Conan
4. Inu-Yasha
5. Atashi'n Chi
6. Doraemon
7. Futari wa Pretty Cure
8. Konjiki no Gash Bell!!
9. Crayon Shin-chan
10. Naruto

Nope, this time One Piece didn't even show up in the top 10.

Nothing can beat the power houses of Sazae-san and Chibi Maruko-chan.
Old 2004-05-24, 04:34   Link #38
deadnite23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho2002
Week of May 10-16
1. Sazae-san
2. Chibi-Maruko-chan
3. Meitantei Conan
4. Inu-Yasha
5. Atashi'n Chi

6. Doraemon
7. Futari wa Pretty Cure
8. Konjiki no Gash Bell!!
9. Crayon Shin-chan
10. Naruto

Nope, this time One Piece didn't even show up in the top 10.

Nothing can beat the power houses of Sazae-san and Chibi Maruko-chan.
I think, That week One Piece didn't air.
deadnite23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-24, 04:39   Link #39
DrWho2002
Fushigi Mystery!! @_@

Ok I'll give you that... ^_^ The last few times I've checked tho it's not usually up there or if it is, it's not that high.
Old 2004-05-24, 05:00   Link #40
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Wouldn't a better measure of a series popularity in Japan than ratings be something like the gross sales of related merchandise/DVD's? Though that might skew the results towards shows with a greater merchandising machine. Since most anime makes its profits off DVD sales and merchandising, it would be those figures that define whether or not a show is a big success instead of ratings...

I suppose Gundam would win hands down in that category, but maybe I'm wrong...
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote