AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2005-01-01, 20:47   Link #1
Takfam

Location: Somewhere between unconciousness and the manga shop.
Burning to CD-R [compression]

I want to burn at least the first 50 episodes of Naruto for a friend (poor guy, he's on 56k AOL). Problem is, I can only get 3 episodes on a CD-R (if I'm lucky). ZIP filing, as I expected, did little to help. This is probably because the episodes themselves are very compressed already. Is there any way I can get more than 3 eps to a disk? Or should I tell him to buy me a spindle of CDs and rough it?
Takfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 20:55   Link #2
WaterSideAngel
Off to a fresh start!

For CD-R's and CD-RW's since you'll only get 700MB...you really can't try to fit much more. I only options you have is to, use DVD-R/RW...that's if you have a burner. Another would be to use ZIP Drives, or get one of those Flash Drives and get those 512MB to 1GB ones. Yes they might be expensive but those might be your only options.

What is the average size of these sizes? What is the size of 1 episode?
WaterSideAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-01, 21:02   Link #3
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
I really suggest both of you putting together some money for a Nec Dual Layer DVD burner. 8.7 Gigs of data storage will make it simple and you can fit most series to just one disk or perhaps 2 series per disk .

BTW the Burner i see for 60 dollars and media i believe is the 50 dollar range for 50 dual layer dvd's.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-02, 16:01   Link #4
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

It's not possible to shove any more eps into a CD-R media. Don't bother wasting your money on a CD-R spindle either, not cost effective anymore. As previously mentioned, go buy a DVD burner. I can put 24 anime eps onto a single DVD whereas it's going to take 8 CD-R's. For Naruto... you're looking at 39 CD-R's vs 5 DVD's. You'll save yourself some desk space or cases.

Pioneer 108 $76
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...129-156&depa=1

NEC 3520 $66
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...152-039&depa=1

These two drives are the most popular. But there's a tradeoff to decide between the two... NEC has a faster CD-R burning speed but the Pioneer reads discs and burns discs at whisper quiet.

I personally can't stand noisey components. And I'm very happy with my Pioneer 108, you can barely tell the darn thing is burning. It's basically as loud as a Seagate barracuda IV hard drive... or a 1000RPM 80mm panaflo fan. Well, you get the idea.

As for the dual media. Yes, you can put 8.7 gigs on a DL disc, but they're crazy expensive. No idea where that guy is quoting $50 for a pack of 50. DL discs still cost $8 per disc. So that's out of the question. But you can buy regular 4.3 at a much cheaper price... usually around $0.30 to 0.40 per 8x disc. You can get 16x media, but the price doubles... roughly $0.75 per disc. 8x speed takes 7mins and 30 secs to burn.

Buy ProDiscs media. Those are the best medias (quality vs price) you can buy. If you want the best... they cost $10 per disc. Yeah, not worth it. And, keep an eye out for bargins... you can buy 100 spindle of Prodiscs as cheap as $30. But usual going rate is $37 for 100.

http://www.ableshopper.com/searchthi...Search=prodisc

One more warning... don't overburn DVD's. Even though it's 8x media, you can burn them at 12x. But the trouble is, only your burner will be able to access the media. It will cause read-errors on other people's DVD-ROM's. I learned that the hard way...
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-02, 21:47   Link #5
Kurz

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
http://www.nulime.com/product.php?productid=63163

Actualy I found 100 DL DVD+R for 30 bucks. They are only mad expensive if they come in a jewel case.
Old 2005-01-02, 22:47   Link #6
SlugZilla
woofles

That looks like 3 to me.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-02, 23:10   Link #7
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

eh? Those verbatim's are $10 a piece. $30 for 3 discs.
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-03, 00:51   Link #8
AzureSky

Have you tried using video editing program to cut off the OP and ED (Preview too maybe)?
You'll be able to fit more eps in one CD-R
AzureSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-03, 01:09   Link #9
Kurz

Ah nm.... damn they should freaking show the actual picture...
Old 2005-01-03, 01:57   Link #10
RichMan
????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takfam
I want to burn at least the first 50 episodes of Naruto for a friend (poor guy, he's on 56k AOL). Problem is, I can only get 3 episodes on a CD-R (if I'm lucky). ZIP filing, as I expected, did little to help. This is probably because the episodes themselves are very compressed already. Is there any way I can get more than 3 eps to a disk? Or should I tell him to buy me a spindle of CDs and rough it?
You could run an Cat5 ethernet cable between your two computers and transfer the episodes over a LAN (this is pretty fast, when I use a LAN to send anime to my dad's computer) or you can always remove your harddrive then connect it to this guys' computer and leech them that way.

If you want to transfer them using cd's, then the best way to do it is to put "ALL" of the episodes in a Winrar archive (Winrar is better than Winzip), then in Winrar split this giant archive into smaller 700mb files (or like 4.3gb file if you burning to dvd). This will make sure you use every byte available on the cd.
RichMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-03, 02:32   Link #11
ChibiDusk
Back From The Dead?

I can fit FOUR episodes of Naruto onto one disc, that's the max (the AonE&ANBU releases). Don't bother zipping them... it's a waste, takes a while and can sometimes only shave down 1-100kb... useless in this case. You have many options.
---

Buy a bunch of CD-R's and burn the eps (4 to one disc, 50/4 = 12.5, round it up to 13... so you'll need 13 or so discs to fit 50eps of Naruto, to be safe I'd buy 15)

Buy ONE CD-RW, burn 4eps, give to friend... he puts them on his computer, gives you the CD back... erase the eps from it, burn the next four... and so on, until he has them all on his computer.

buy a cheap DVD Burner, buy a DVD-R... that's 25 episodes on one DVD-R, so you'll need 2 DVD-Rs to fit 50 eps. There you have it, he'll need a DVD-drive on his computer to be able to play them though.

buy a Dual-Laye r DVD Burner and some DL DVDs, burn 40-50eps on ONE DUAL LAYER DVD. Give to friend. He'll need a DVD-drive on his computer to be able to play them though.

OR, buy a ton of floppies and use a proggie that seperates each ep into floppy-sized pieces... it would only take about 200 floppy-discs per ep, but... hey, it might be your only option ;p

Buy a Removable (external) Harddrive, insert it into your Com and transfer the files onto it. Take the drive to your friends house and unload the eps from the external drive to his main C drive. There, he has the eps now.

Arrange a meeting with both computers, and network them. Transfer the files from your com to your friends... there you go, once again.

If it's an issue with him not being able to dling using p2p or such due to firewalls or routers, you could always set-up a home ftp and allow him to download off of that, it requires some work though... I'm not even sure how to manage it.

and Richman's WinRAR idea is genious, although not very user-friendly.
ChibiDusk is offline   Reply With Quote