AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 10 13.51%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 27.03%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 18.92%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 20.27%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 8.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 8.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.70%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.35%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-27, 09:52   Link #41
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That was my read on it. Put two genetically engineered humans - even (barely) preteens - alone together and under extreme stress, and the bonobo hormone kicks in. There were parts of the ep that seemed a bit jarring but that bit made sense to me.
Don't forget the very real Schachter–Singer theory, which includes the Suspension Bridge Effect. You don't have to be genetically conditioned to have extremely heightened emotions when you've gone through near-death experiences.
Old 2012-10-27, 09:56   Link #42
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Leaving the shipping aside, I think Shun would have been pretty badass too in that situation.
Actually, yeah, that's a good point. He probably got away, but I'd love to see him confronted with a similar situation just to see how he'd handle it.
Old 2012-10-27, 10:07   Link #43
whitecloud

im just thinking...what is the other member are doing? if the other is in extreme stress as well...would they also do the same thing?....hee threesome?
Old 2012-10-27, 10:12   Link #44
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
im just thinking...what is the other member are doing? if the other is in extreme stress as well...would they also do the same thing?....hee threesome?
It's a possibility.

Unfortunately, going by the preview it seems next episode will be another Saki and Satoru one, so we won't learn about the others any time soon. It's kind of a bummer really.
Old 2012-10-27, 10:13   Link #45
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Overall a good episode, not as good as the first three, but still a tier above everything else this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
Did something happen to the budget? All of a sudden it's nothing but close-up shots and static imagery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HosannaExcelsis View Post
It's just the idiosyncratic style of the episode director (Shigeyasu Yamauchi).
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Not your imagination that they were drawn a bit differently,most likely due to this episode being directed by by Shigeyasu Yamauchi who likes to go oldschool and I guess the director of the show let him do it,the designs will probably be back to normal next week.Oh and he loves extreme close ups and toying with the color scheme so there's your reason for that too.

Funny the difference a bit more nose and lips makes:

Images
last week
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Images
this week
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Direction was not just different this episode, it also had a lot of action implied, on the background and even off-camera

I hope that they don't stick with this style, being explicit and graphical does not only help the less attentive viewers, but mainly gives an opportunity for some great artwork filled with intense emotion... that is if the the director and animators are skillful enough

This episode's style was more befitting to a Ghibli anime for the whole family

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpk10 View Post
It WAS their (Saki and Satoru's) first time doing it (well, almost doing it...) with each other.
Indeed, but I can not shake the feeling that a lot more happened in the source material... not just some neck licking Maybe when the cast becomes 26, the studio will not indulge in this annoying self-censorship, pandering immature viewers.

Quote:
Mad props to Saki for having the self-control to overcome her "monkey sex" instincts. Way to go girl!!
Denying one's natural needs is never a good thing, builds up anxiety, and is a sure path to psychotic outbursts... add to that her lame cockblocking line about being watched
Old 2012-10-27, 10:31   Link #46
kpk10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Indeed, but I can not shake the feeling that a lot more happened in the source material... not just some neck licking Maybe when the cast becomes 26, the studio will not indulge in this annoying self-censorship, pandering immature viewers.
No you're right.

Spoiler for the novel:
Old 2012-10-27, 10:36   Link #47
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I agree that the sudden change in artistic style, and direction, was pretty jarring in this episode. It was still a pretty thrilling episode to be sure, but I would have preferred a few more "panning shots" to get a more complete feel for the action.

Satoru and Saki's near-sex experience would have been jarring prior to the Bonobos explanation, but here it feels like it's the narrative's way of adding some valuable "show" to the "tell" to reinforce it all. This is probably for the best, because otherwise the bonobos explanation is the sort of thing that can sink down the audience's memory hole pretty fast, if what's happening on-screen runs contrary to it.

I also think that Satoru showed slight hints of jealousy over Shun becoming closer to Saki in previous episodes, so I'm inclined to think that he is fond of her, and that did help make the near-sex experience less jarring. And the two of them certainly seemed to show a lot of care for one another in this episode, as they made a pretty good and effective team. I have to say that Satoru really took quite a step forward here in my eyes, as he did a great job of improvising from one situation to the next, and of wisely determining when serious threats were just around the corner.

Quote:
Saki and Satoru came very close to having sex, and groped each other a bit. The visuals conveyed that well enough. What more needs to be shown/said here?

Making it more graphic would have changed the feeling of it. I don't think the viewer is supposed to be titillated by it. Quite the contrary, I think it's supposed to reinforce what the library-creature said. So, on the whole, the scene is meant to show how Saki is continuing down the path of feeling doubt and conflicted emotions over virtually everything she knows. Sexing up the scene (especially with the characters looking a bit older with this art style change) probably would have made it less effective in this regard.

Quote:
Denying one's natural needs is never a good thing, builds up anxiety, and is a sure path to psychotic outbursts... add to that her lame cockblocking line about being watched
Overcoming one's genetic predispositions is a great way to grow and mature as a person, and to become a stronger human being. It is a sure path to true independence and a fuller sense of self. So I completely agree with Kazu-kun wrote in support of Saki.

And there's nothing "lame" about not wanting to be watched while you're having sex.
Old 2012-10-27, 10:42   Link #48
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And there's nothing "lame" about not wanting to be watched while you're having sex.
I think he meant it was lame because it wasn't the reason she stopped. I don't think it's lame myself though.
Old 2012-10-27, 10:44   Link #49
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Maybe but I think he was under the mistaken impression that Saki stopped because they had audience.
I was thinking that if sexual release eases tension and aggressiveness, then maybe getting excited but not finishing has the opposite effect.
Old 2012-10-27, 10:45   Link #50
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
I think he meant it was lame because it was an obvious excuse.
That, and he obviously wanted some H-scenes.
Old 2012-10-27, 10:48   Link #51
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Saki and Satoru came very close to having sex, and groped each other a bit. The visuals conveyed that well enough. What more needs to be shown/said here?
They could have showed what actually did happen, however uncomfortable it makes us feel.

Quote:
Making it more graphic would have changed the feeling of it. I don't think the viewer is supposed to be titillated by it. Quite the contrary, I think it's supposed to reinforce what the library-creature said. So, on the whole, the scene is meant to show how Saki is continuing down the path of feeling doubt and conflicted emotions over virtually everything she knows. Sexing up the scene (especially with the characters looking a bit older with this art style change) probably would have made it less effective in this regard.
Well if a viewer gets aroused by two kids having sex... then there is something wrong with that viewer.

Quote:
Overcoming one's genetic predispositions is a great way to grow and mature as a person, and to become a stronger human being. It is a sure path to true independence and a fuller sense of self.

IMHO there are two opposing views on this subject:

1) Deny your nature

2) Succumb to your nature

Or one can just escape from this black & white perspective and by understanding his natural needs he can prioritize their fulfillment to his own benefit... unfortunately this sounds easier than it really is IRL.

In this case, Saki and Satoru needed a way to get rid of their frustration (being imprisoned et al), naturally they would fuck each other, the anime showed that impulse, but refrained from displaying the intensity and emotional confusion it caused (unlike the novel and the manga), which is understandable since it is showed on TV which is anonymously accessible from many immature (if not mentally unbalanced) people

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
They don't have to be explicit and graphical, but rather clear on what is going on, and more importantly why and to what effect.

The wrong way to do it is this on the decent side, and the Ran->Sem on the profane side
Old 2012-10-27, 10:48   Link #52
Kazu-kun

Quote:
As much as these scenes help to illustrate the world-building, the resulting issue is that it takes too much attention from the audience. I mean, who doesn't want some monkey sex?

But the series isn't about that, so it shouldn't draw so much attention.

That's why I agree with Triple_R that in this case it's a good thing they toned down the scene.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-10-27 at 12:48.
Old 2012-10-27, 10:51   Link #53
kpk10
Banned

Quote:
I like Satoru much better than Shun, I find him uninteresting.

Finally some novel information!
ME TOO! ME TOO!

I really dislike Shun.

He just stand in Saki and Saroru's way of being together.

That bastard.
Old 2012-10-27, 10:53   Link #54
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
...Denying one's natural needs is never a good thing, builds up anxiety, and is a sure path to psychotic outbursts... add to that her lame cockblocking line about being watched...
Not "never." Self-restraint is also good. You just have to judge when to let go and when to hold back. Here, self-denial is a matter of rebellion and personal growth. But I agree with your general point. And I agree that the thing about being watched was mainly an excuse.

@ninryu, kpk10 -- As for Satoru, I feel he has had a bit of a sudden character change in this ep. I like him here. He seemed petty and immature before. I liked Shun, even though he was secretive-seeming and felt somewhat proud, dangerous, untrustworthy.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2012-10-27 at 11:49.
Old 2012-10-27, 10:53   Link #55
Kazu-kun

Quote:
That bastard.
Are we bashing characters now? C'mon guys, this isn't right place for this.
Old 2012-10-27, 10:56   Link #56
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
I was thinking that if sexual release eases tension and aggressiveness, then maybe getting excited but not finishing has the opposite effect.
Well, Satoru did kill the pimping rat afterall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Not "never." Self-restraint is also good. You just have to judge when to let go and when to hold back. Here, self-denial is a matter of rebellion and personal growth. But I agree that the thing about being watched was mainly an excuse.
I tried to clarify later... yes letting primal urges drive you is as bad as totally denying them... but in this case (anime original) a balance between the two was not reached in favour of political correctness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
As for Satoru, I feel he has had a bit of a sudden character change in this ep. I like him here. He seemed petty and emotional before. I liked Shun, even though he was secretive-seeming and felt somewhat dangerous, untrustworthy.
Not really, I always expected Satoru to act like this when driven to the edge

Last edited by Malkuth; 2012-10-27 at 11:01. Reason: merged
Old 2012-10-27, 11:08   Link #57
kpk10
Banned

Quote:
Are we bashing characters now? C'mon guys, this isn't right place for this.
No, no. All I'm saying is that I like Satoru better. And I like his chemistry with Saki better.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-10-27 at 11:35. Reason: No spoiler allowed
Old 2012-10-27, 11:16   Link #58
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HosannaExcelsis View Post
It's just the idiosyncratic style of the episode director (Shigeyasu Yamauchi).
A lot of people seems hating him

He is responsible of the storybaording ?
Cause it was weird to follow
Old 2012-10-27, 11:32   Link #59
Kazu-kun

Quote:
No, no. All I'm saying is that I like Satoru better. And I like his chemistry with Saki better.
No, you called it bastard. That's bashing.

And you should delete that novel spoiler. It's no allowed to post spoiler to future events in this thread.
Old 2012-10-27, 11:34   Link #60
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
ME TOO! ME TOO!

I really dislike Shun.

He just stand in Saki and Saroru's way of being together.

That bastard.
I don't hate Shun, I just think he's boring.
Closed Thread