Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-07-26, 18:11   Link #781
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality_Breaker View Post
A lot of XBox fanboys seem to have come out of their hideyhole and now think Xbox is winning because of a rumor, I won't believe this is true unless Sony themselves come out and say so, either way it's not like I care since I'm still getting a PS4.
I am in the same boat as you. Unless Sony says it then I am not believing.

Just in case though, here is the article
Story Source origin

PS: can anyone tell me how to link websites like normal words? Chaos, you seem to do it well.

Last edited by ReaperxKingx; 2013-07-26 at 18:38. Reason: Thank you Chaos and GrimJack
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-26, 18:17   Link #782
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx View Post
PS: can anyone tell me how to link websites like normal words? Chaos, you seem to do it well.
When you go into Advanced, or when you click on quote, you should see an icon with a small globe ∞.

Highlight your word or sentence and then click on it.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-26, 18:19   Link #783
GrimJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
When you go into Advanced, or when you click on quote, you should see an icon with a small globe ∞.

Highlight your word or sentence and then click on it.
That was fast I was just about to reply the same thing good thing i rechecked
Old 2013-07-26, 19:05   Link #784
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
8 GB of GDDR5 RAM
4.5GB Minimum
5.5 GB is accessible if needed
1GB Reserved for Future OS Updates
1.5 GB Reserved for current OS.

Currently looking for source...
From what I could gather Sony seems to be reserving 3.5gb for the operating system for now. There's 1gb of that amount that developers can unlock in development mode and apparently Sony is planning to eventually release a fraction of the currently reserved system memory with future system updates when they manage to streamline the OS
Old 2013-07-26, 20:47   Link #785
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Is there any update upon the issue of the Dual Shock 4 concerning its lights?
Old 2013-07-26, 20:53   Link #786
Reality_Breaker

Quote:
None mostly because it's a non-issue... at least in my opinion.
Old 2013-07-26, 20:56   Link #787
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
The game developers have control, if they want to switch the light off on their end they can.
Old 2013-07-26, 21:14   Link #788
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality_Breaker View Post
None mostly because it's a non-issue... at least in my opinion.
True, it is a non issue. Just seeing if there was any news regarding it.
Old 2013-07-26, 22:47   Link #789
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Seems like it's a "big news" because now people are going crazy over this. It's like they are buying a console to show off how powerful it is...what happened to games?
Old 2013-07-26, 22:53   Link #790
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

The assumption seems to be that the PS4 would set aside 7gb of RAM for game development and 1 gb for OS, making it 'vastly superior' to the Xbox who only had 5 gbs of RAM while the remaining 3 are tied up in the OS.

Now that it's revealed to be 5.5 gb instead, it puts it in the same ballpark as the Xbox.
Old 2013-07-27, 01:33   Link #791
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

These numbers are 'development framework' numbers.

It may be true, but it's far from finalised. These are basically the 'early specs' given to PS4 developers to use as the base assumption of how much resources they can use at this point of time.

My speculation is that at the time of the current SDK, the build of their OS requires an upwards of 1.5GB RAM currently, and they're reserving an additional 1GB for 'future-proofing.'

These numbers would be further finalised based on how much fat they can trim from the OS, and how much they deem would be legitimately necessary for future-proofing based on their current OS build.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-27, 01:55   Link #792
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
The assumption seems to be that the PS4 would set aside 7gb of RAM for game development and 1 gb for OS, making it 'vastly superior' to the Xbox who only had 5 gbs of RAM while the remaining 3 are tied up in the OS.

Now that it's revealed to be 5.5 gb instead, it puts it in the same ballpark as the Xbox.
What made it clear that there are MS marketeers spreading the news, is that they kept saying "that makes Xbox1 better!". This is of course nonsense. The only thing that can make Xbox1 better, is if it improves itself. PS4 can run on the souls of tortured children, and it would still not make Xbox1 better in any way.

MS has ran out of good news, and as such they resort to mud slinging.
Old 2013-07-27, 02:06   Link #793
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
PS4 can run on the souls of tortured children, and it would still not make Xbox1 better in any way.
The Playstation 4 was built on an Indian Burial Ground- spread the word!
Old 2013-07-27, 02:23   Link #794
Veviticus

Tortured children = xbox fanboys?
Indian burial ground = microsoft's grave?

It all makes sense now
Old 2013-07-27, 05:04   Link #795
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Yeah, it's going to be annoying week; whenever reading through some gaming news.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-27, 10:14   Link #796
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
These numbers are 'development framework' numbers.

It may be true, but it's far from finalised. These are basically the 'early specs' given to PS4 developers to use as the base assumption of how much resources they can use at this point of time.

My speculation is that at the time of the current SDK, the build of their OS requires an upwards of 1.5GB RAM currently, and they're reserving an additional 1GB for 'future-proofing.'

These numbers would be further finalised based on how much fat they can trim from the OS, and how much they deem would be legitimately necessary for future-proofing based on their current OS build.
The OS footprint is probably only 1-2GB so I don't think that it's a matter of fat. What Sony is trying to do is to make sure that they don't lose out if there's some cool feature in the feature that will need that extra RAM. The story is that the PS3 couldn't implement cross-game chat because they didn't have enough RAM for it. If there's no sign of anything that will need the RAM, Sony could then let games use it.

It's not too bad a strategy as 5GB of RAM is plenty to work with for now. However, it is pretty bad press, so we'll see how Sony messages it.

Quote:
What made it clear that there are MS marketeers spreading the news, is that they kept saying "that makes Xbox1 better!". This is of course nonsense. The only thing that can make Xbox1 better, is if it improves itself. PS4 can run on the souls of tortured children, and it would still not make Xbox1 better in any way.

It's not as bad as all that. Microsoft has been struggling to regain traction in their marketing, so they're just trying anything that might work. However, it does mean that nothing that comes out of their PR should be taken at face value.
Old 2013-07-27, 13:42   Link #797
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
It's not too bad a strategy as 5GB of RAM is plenty to work with for now. However, it is pretty bad press, so we'll see how Sony messages it.
Personally, given the crapton of "social/networking/cloud" features I have to go through, I'd rather it go as bad as it can just so they're shoehorned into a "opt-in mode," since social-garbage is obviously not a thing you will be given the option to disable in this day and age unless "circumstances" are involved. The whole thing should just go ahead and implode already (someone go and make another social network site, it's obviously not diluted enough for people to start losing money over it!).

Also, with regard to "we didn't have ram" ...for crying out loud, just offer it as a service games can integrate themselves. You now have ALL your ram for crap features, since games are managing it even if it can't be on all the time they can still make it available on key low resource moments (waiting in lobby, menu, pause screens, etc) and that way games have access to virtually all the systems resources that are not dedicated to the OS itself and Sony can bypass any blame if the game doesn't offer "the feature." Win-Win.

I'm sure this "reserved RAM" is reserved for their Gaikai service since they haven't got it finalized if I'm not mistaken.
Old 2013-07-27, 16:26   Link #798
4Tran

Is there any reason to suspect Gaikai is behind this? I thought all of the processing will be performed on the Gaikai servers. The only thing that you need the console for are outputting the audio-video and sending control inputs back to the server. You could probably do that with a couple hundred MB RAM or less.

I can't think of anything that would eat up 2+ GB of RAM for the OS, so it seems like insurance in case some new feature/application comes out in the next 3-4 years.
Old 2013-07-27, 16:32   Link #799
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Is there any reason to suspect Gaikai is behind this? I thought all of the processing will be performed on the Gaikai servers. The only thing that you need the console for are outputting the audio-video and sending control inputs back to the server. You could probably do that with a couple hundred MB RAM or less.

I can't think of anything that would eat up 2+ GB of RAM for the OS, so it seems like insurance in case some new feature/application comes out in the next 3-4 years.
The best theory I've heard on the subject of RAM usage is that it may relate to a Vita-like ability to quickly pause/resume any game or application. I have to say that one of the best things about the Vita is how easy it is to just drop what you're doing to quickly reply to a message from a friend or even check the browser for a walkthrough.

Given all the marketing for the PS4 has been advertising similar capabilities for the system I reckon that they plan to keep 1GB available for the so called "light" applications that can be "running" at the same time as one full blown game. The rest (1.5GB) fits precisely with what has been rumoured before as being dedicated to the operating system.

EDIT: also do note that there is another rumor going about that has someone (A dev I believe) claiming that the company hopes to eventually free up a part of the OS memory to games when the system matures (just as was done with the PSP processor speed and the additional 70mb of ram made available on the PS3).
Old 2013-07-27, 17:21   Link #800
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Sony made a reply:

Quote:
We would like to clear up a misunderstanding regarding our "direct" and "flexible" memory systems. The article states that "flexible" memory is borrowed from the OS, and must be returned when requested - that's not actually the case.

The actual true distinction is that:
  • "Direct Memory" is memory allocated under the traditional video game model, so the game controls all aspects of its allocation
  • "Flexible Memory" is memory managed by the PS4 OS on the game's behalf, and allows games to use some very nice FreeBSD virtual memory functionality. However this memory is 100 per cent the game's memory, and is never used by the OS, and as it is the game's memory it should be easy for every developer to use it.

We have no comment to make on the amount of memory reserved by the system or what it is used for.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636106