AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-05-17, 08:23   Link #41
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Marcus H. フィリピン 20歳 男性
今のところは、君に届け2期とゴシックだね。
あぁ・・・早くきみとどの1期をコンプリートしないと・・・・・・
Seeing my post in Japanese never felt this... awkward.

On a serious note, seems that they are also gauging the fame or hype of certain series based on what I discovered; my posts were part of the Winter 2010 Anime Expectations Thread here.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 08:43   Link #42
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Which is accessible only to accepted "friends". All right, who here has been leaking my private information?
Mods needs to confirm this but I don't think you need to be befriended to see you public profile since I can go through yours.
And no I am not the one if anyone is curious. I don't get any kicks translating other people's comments and I wouldn't do it unless I am paid.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 09:00   Link #43
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Which is accessible only to accepted "friends". All right, who here has been leaking my private information?
Please accept my apologies. I did manage to enter your profile and see your info. Perhaps you should look over your privacy settings?

Quote:
On a more constructive note, this thread reminds me of a series of "dialogues" between English-language and Japanese-language players of Square-Enix's MMORPG, Final Fantasy XI. The whole thing was community driven, and the questions and answers are archived here.

Since we're all feeling a bit shocked at being "spied upon" by otherworldly entities speaking in moon runes, why not set up an inter-species inter-cultural exchange in this thread?

Like, "We come in peace. How are you doing?", or "Why are you watching us?", or even "Do Japanese men really dig teenage girls in sailor-moon uniforms?"
Since we already got their attention, we might as well And you'd want to know if that's what they're interested in, wouldn't you
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 09:31   Link #44
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Mods needs to confirm this but I don't think you need to be befriended to see you public profile since I can go through yours.
And no I am not the one if anyone is curious. I don't get any kicks translating other people's comments and I wouldn't do it unless I am paid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
Please accept my apologies. I did manage to enter your profile and see your info. Perhaps you should look over your privacy settings?
Oh f*ck. I forgot that I changed the setting to all registered members some time ago. Part of my decision to go public about my professional ties. Well... no harm done, really. And, yes, I would very much like to know why Japanese men are such perverts have such eclectic tastes.

WTB Japanese-English Auto-Translator. {Good evening!} {Nice to meet you.} {Gil} {Do you have it?}
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 10:46   Link #45
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
but translating whole posts and going as far as specifying the name of the author and their gender (!)? I don't think that ever happened, or at least I've never seen such a thing.
Well, gender, age and nationality, as these sites like to specify, help their readers determine what kind of perspective is behind the translated opinions. They wouldn't be doing us any favors if they just applied a GAIJIN label to all of us. No, we come from different places, some of us are more experienced than others and so on. I guess it doesn't help combat generalizations all that much and may bring about other generalizations, but it's a bit more helpful to know that a 15 year-old girl from Malaysia has a different opinion on the subject of anime piracy than a 40 year-old male U.S. citizen, and that's just one example.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 11:04   Link #46
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
Haha, you should. I think the logical conclusion of this translation circle is that whoever is going through all the effort to translate these things back and forth would basically just be acting as an intermediary so that Japanese and English speaking fans could talk directly with each other.
I think what's so fascination about this is not simply conversation back and forth. But how what you said can be taken, interpreted, and commented upon in a different language and cultural perspective

And did i say that i am envy with some of you because they didn't quote my post?
Old 2011-05-17, 11:59   Link #47
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
And did i say that i am envy with some of you because they didn't quote my post?
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

there, you don't need to envy us anymore.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 12:30   Link #48
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
I think the logical conclusion of this translation circle is that whoever is going through all the effort to translate these things back and forth would basically just be acting as an intermediary so that Japanese and English speaking fans could talk directly with each other.
Dare I try this?

"Japan, who is your favorite seiyu? Mine would be Rie Kugimiya or Kana Ueda."
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 12:39   Link #49
Midonin
Last Engage

I've done something like that once before. There's this guy on Nico who made some tribute music that I liked, and, though I had to translate my e-mail to Japanese and he to English, it was a mutual exchange of "I like your work. Keep it up!" "Thanks, much appreciated."
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 12:53   Link #50
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

there, you don't need to envy us anymore.
I actually also just got to that pages using google. And it was a fun experiences reading what i wrote back from several years ago

It seems even the most recent one was at least 2 years back, they stopped quoting me? xD....
Old 2011-05-17, 14:31   Link #51
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

I found another post by me here. From what I can tell from Google's translation I think whoever made that page was really surprised that I'm not a fan of Hinagiku from Hayate no Gotoku because he's never heard of a foreigner not liking her before. I guess I'm happy they consider me unique then, haha.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 15:41   Link #52
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

The only thing I could find was a thread of us talking about Madoka's delay due to the earthquake. Finding things with my username isn't easy. ><
Old 2011-05-17, 15:54   Link #53
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've run across my posts translated before ... I think its amusing though when they dump on a post you can't help but feeling the few haters are a bit cowardly since they're in the "safety of the Nihongo sphere" from most foreign posters. However, Google Translate is getting scarily better month by month for those who can't read Japanese.

Most of the Japanese fan comments I see though are just outright curiosity or amazement that outsiders have any clue at all.
Old 2011-05-17, 18:05   Link #54
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I just think it's amazing they bother to translate forum posts. I mean maybe I could understand blog posts, but forum posts are a lot like conversations, rather then coherent complete writing.

How good are they at detecting when we're sarcastic and/or humourous?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 18:10   Link #55
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It's too bad the only notable one of me is about tsunderes, as that is my least favorite sibjects to talk about. It's even funnier since they added their own pics to point out who's who. So now, they associated me with Shana. I guess it could be worse.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 18:16   Link #56
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

Well, they tend to miss some subtleties:

HI Ep. 6

NNNOOOOO!!!! Tohru, hands off Ohana. You've got Minchi already. XD

徹はミンチがいるのに緒花にLOVEってことなの!?
Despite the fact that Tohru already has Minchi, he's going to 'LOVE' Ohana!?

I suppose that, looking at it in a certain light, they're about the same in terms of nuance. Perhaps.

Rather, looking at it from a Japanese viewpoint, I suppose that it'd make more sense than what I'd translate it as:
いいいやあああああああ!!徹、緒花で離れなさい!ミンチはもうあんたの女だから XD
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 19:42   Link #57
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:

On a more constructive note, this thread reminds me of a series of "dialogues" between English-language and Japanese-language players of Square-Enix's MMORPG, Final Fantasy XI. The whole thing was community driven, and the questions and answers are archived here.

Since we're all feeling a bit shocked at being "spied upon" by otherworldly entities speaking in moon runes, why not set up an inter-species inter-cultural exchange in this thread?

Like, "We come in peace. How are you doing?", or "Why are you watching us?", or even "Do Japanese men really dig teenage girls in sailor-moon uniforms?"
I think this is a really great idea. What if we found a similiarly large Japanese forum and corresponded with them, and some obliging individuals with a decent command of both languages could do the translating, something along the lines of FFXI example you gave. Each side would compile a set of questions, and we'd send them to each other, and then we'd each answer all their questions. What you guys think?

Examples of questions: 2D or 3D women? (or more seriously "Many anime talk about Otaku preferring 2D women to 3D women, how widespread a belief is this really among Japanese Anime fans?")

Are there Japanese fan translations of western TV?

If you watch western material, do you only watch American stuff, or do you watch British or other European stuff in translation as well?

In western Anime fandom, downloading is the main mode of distribution, how widely is downloading used in Japan?

etc. etc.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-17, 21:02   Link #58
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Hmm, well I can't blame them I guess. While I wouldn't go as far as translating forum posts myself, I am often curious of perceptions of various things in different cultures.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 11:06   Link #59
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Hmm, well I can't blame them I guess. While I wouldn't go as far as translating forum posts myself, I am often curious of perceptions of various things in different cultures.
It gets better — even the Greeks are interested in us. To my amusement, someone actually quoted me on a Greek anime forum back in 2008:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
Χεχε. Αυτό που περίμενα. Οι εξελίξεις στο 21 δεν αρέσουν. Για να δούμε πως θα σας φανεί και το 22.

Food for thought από το animesuki forum για τα επεισόδια 20 + 21. Ως επί το πλείστον συμφωνώ με τα παρακάτω posts.

Quote:
Spoiler for Ghost Hound Episode 20:

Κατά τη γνώμη μου, το (5) είναι ένα από τα πιο δυνατά σημεία σε όλη τη σειρά. Δεν θα μπορούσα να το περιγράψω καλύτερα.
OK... need to keep my ego in check and my head from swelling too big now.

Err... how do I say "thank you" in Greek?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-18, 11:26   Link #60
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

The real question is - has this thread been copied, broken down and discussed by them?