AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-16, 14:36   Link #141
Archmagination2002

Does anybody know what is going on with the groups doing this anime? How come all sports anime or even manga are always released really slowly in english?
Archmagination2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 08:26   Link #142
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmagination2002 View Post
Does anybody know what is going on with the groups doing this anime? How come all sports anime or even manga are always released really slowly in english?
Because most groups doing sports anime care about quality and don't release stuff before it's ready?
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 13:56   Link #143
Archmagination2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangofe View Post
Because most groups doing sports anime care about quality and don't release stuff before it's ready?
Interesting response, but I doubt if thats the reason though. Most sports anime are easier to translate the other genre's.
Old 2007-10-17, 14:32   Link #144
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmagination2002 View Post
Interesting response, but I doubt if thats the reason though. Most sports anime are easier to translate the other genre's.
Being in the group that probably has released most sports animes since it's foundation, I can confirm that is the reason.
Old 2007-10-17, 20:17   Link #145
Archmagination2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangofe View Post
Being in the group that probably has released most sports animes since it's foundation, I can confirm that is the reason.
Cool, I find that interesting. Sports is the only anime that I can actually watch in raw form and understand most of what is going on.(about 2/3rd or so) They tend to use common japanese/english that is easy to understood by experienced anime watchers . Ookiku Furikabutte isn't one of those sports anime that is hard to understand.
Old 2007-10-20, 15:16   Link #146
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Just finished ep 6 and I can't help but think "what would Goru think of this guy?".... so totally the "anti-goru-kun"

however, I love them both

I'm so glad this came along and again I'm always so shocked I love these "sports" animes so much, seeing as I don't watch sports if ever.

Perhaps I can relate a little bit, as I've always struggled with self confidence
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 18:03   Link #147
wormspeaker

Spoiler for From un-subbed eps:

Also, is it just me, or does Mihashi totally seem like a "boku" kinda guy or what? It always throws me when he refers to himself with "ore." Just doesn’t seem to sit well with his personality.
wormspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-09, 23:20   Link #148
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I hate sports anime. I really hate sports anime. I really really really hate sports anime. And I love Ookiku Furikabutte. Be at it Saizen. None of your other projects are as important as this one. I've watched the first 7 episodes in one sitting so that's got to be the truth. The ending theme also happens to be sung by one of my favorite singer.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 00:45   Link #149
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, I'll say this much - I don't think I've ever seen a character talk so much about masturbation...

Oofu is full of weird psychobabble that sits somewhere on the fence between science and mysticism, and the way it draws out the action makes the baseball sequences in "Major" seem rapid-fire. But there is something genuinely lovable about it - it understands baseball and teenage males in a way few series do.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 03:37   Link #150
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I hate sports anime. I really hate sports anime. I really really really hate sports anime. And I love Ookiku Furikabutte. Be at it Saizen. None of your other projects are as important as this one. I've watched the first 7 episodes in one sitting so that's got to be the truth. The ending theme also happens to be sung by one of my favorite singer.
Might be, but it's one of my least favorite show :P
My preference list:
Aoki Densetsu Shoot, Major, Buzzer Beater, Ashita no Joe, Slam Dunk, Shigurui, Oofuri, and Minami-ke.
Old 2007-12-10, 04:36   Link #151
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I on the other hand, really love sports anime and has watched just about all the oldies to a lot of mediocre ones inbetween too.

My absolute favorite is still around Princess Nine and Attacker You (add Hajime no Ippo and especially Ashita no Joe if you can count Boxing as a sport), but Ookiku Furikabutte is coming close to them from the subbed eps so far.

The attention to the science of baseball done in a fun and cheery way is just done so well. Too bad it's another 26 episode show which could potentially run for 50 eps like many sports anime can.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 06:57   Link #152
S_K
Let's begin!

Send a message via MSN to S_K
im a fan of all sports anime especially Major, eyeshield 21 etc.
this one willl most likely join my list

Tajima and his masturbation
S_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 13:34   Link #153
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I really love Major - S1 is still my favorite sports anime ever. Don't like Oofu quite as much, but I will say this - "Gar"-o is an absolutely great hero (I named my fantasy football team the Mifune Dolphins, after all) but he's not exactly an everyman. He's one of those guys that plays on a different level than everyone else, which makes him special. Mihashi is a lot more relateable in the sense that he's not an especially great athlete, and has to work extremely hard to maximize his talent in order to succeed.
Old 2007-12-10, 13:48   Link #154
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I really love Major - S1 is still my favorite sports anime ever. Don't like Oofu quite as much, but I will say this - "Gar"-o is an absolutely great hero (I named my fantasy football team the Mifune Dolphins, after all) but he's not exactly an everyman. He's one of those guys that plays on a different level than everyone else, which makes him special. Mihashi is a lot more relateable in the sense that he's not an especially great athlete, and has to work extremely hard to maximize his talent in order to succeed.
He isn't a hero. Gorou is a selfish prick. How he screwed over his friend was just wtf? He's better of playing the villain. Better look at touch or H2. If you want some real hero's. That guy from fullswing is cool too. :O
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 14:01   Link #155
kakashi22

Send a message via MSN to kakashi22 Send a message via Yahoo to kakashi22
it is good manga fun fun fun thank you i well be read it
kakashi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 14:18   Link #156
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
He isn't a hero. Gorou is a selfish prick. How he screwed over his friend was just wtf? He's better of playing the villain. Better look at touch or H2. If you want some real hero's. That guy from fullswing is cool too. :O
I disagree completely here. Goro can be a selfish prick - but it's driven by his single-minded desire to excel and his somewhat antiquated sense of honor. Look at the way he defended/befriended "losers" Komori and Toshi. He ends up lifting everyone around him above their normal abilities by the sheer force of his will. He's a "hero" in a more old-fashioned sense of the term.

Yes, he did screw Toshi in a sense - not by intent, but by his normal lack of consideration for the side-effects of his actions due to his laser-like focus on his goals. Yes, he does fail to read all the signs that Shimizu wants to be more than his friend (again, single-mindedness). But then again, Toshi played along in a scheme to exploit Goro's injury because they couldn't beat him fair and square. Human beings do bad things sometimes.
Old 2007-12-10, 14:38   Link #157
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

If Goro was in Ookiku, he'd be branded as a total idiot, egoist and pretty much the bad guy of the series. Just like that one 80 pitch pitcher in Ookiku who basically is aiming only for the majors and himself.

I like Goro too, but in any 3rd person perspective, he's basically a lone wolf who just does what the heck he wants. He's definitely not a hero in oldschool sense. He's almost like an anti-hero.
Old 2007-12-10, 14:40   Link #158
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

To each his own.
Old 2007-12-10, 14:50   Link #159
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I disagree completely here. Goro can be a selfish prick - but it's driven by his single-minded desire to excel and his somewhat antiquated sense of honor. Look at the way he defended/befriended "losers" Komori and Toshi. He ends up lifting everyone around him above their normal abilities by the sheer force of his will. He's a "hero" in a more old-fashioned sense of the term.

Yes, he did screw Toshi in a sense - not by intent, but by his normal lack of consideration for the side-effects of his actions due to his laser-like focus on his goals. Yes, he does fail to read all the signs that Shimizu wants to be more than his friend (again, single-mindedness). But then again, Toshi played along in a scheme to exploit Goro's injury because they couldn't beat him fair and square. Human beings do bad things sometimes.
Your pretty much saying it yourself. Him being so single minded makes him a selfish prick. Even though he doesn't do things on purpose, it doesn't take away the fact that he's selfish. If you look at Tatsuya or Hiro. They make the team play better. They trust their team. Gouro only thinks of his dream. It's always about him him him. A real hero would never go to the enemies and try to break em up in the inside. A real ace would be burning up with excitement and go to his team and train with them. Gouro is weak compared to the others. Is still don't get why he went to Kaido. Now that I think about it he's selfish and stupid. An ace that loses his confidence, don't make me laugh. I don't see how you can call him a hero.

Actually if he noticed that there is something like a team. He wouldn't bust his arm either.

That Mihashi isn't hero (yet), but he has faith in his team. And probably wouldn't do something stupid as joining the opposition...
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 15:12   Link #160
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

To Goro's credit, at least he had guts and a ton of followthrough. Even if he made a lot of mistakes along the way, at least he didn't exactly do it with full bad intentions.

Mihashi, to me, seems the opposite. He has innate skill that most pitchers do not and will not have. He probably has more of a ball control than almost anyone in Major and probably rivals Mayumura in that aspect though obviously not as openly intimidating.

Mihashi goes from total meekness and works up to being a great pitcher. Goro goes from total brashness and works down to being a team player.

Tags
baseball, seinen, sports