Old 2008-08-11, 20:00   Link #603
Eric10301

Sweet I'll be looking forward to S2.
Eric10301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-24, 17:44   Link #604
LifeILL

Preview of Kaiji Season 2:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=25246

Okay, I have pretty much read the entire Kaiji season 2 manga and here's what I think about it:

The manga is extremely well done, the tension is right. I mean it's ridiculously addictive. The problem is that I don't think that it will translate well into an anime. The first season of Kaiji was a great anime to watch because it had tons of variety. The games go from paper scissor rock to crossing bridges to E-Card and it has all sorts of inhumane things such as torture, cutting off fingers, electrocution...things like that.

Kaiji season 2 only has two games that Kaiji play. And these games are no longer simple games with simple rules. Kaiji starts gambling for real this time, he plays a dice game which takes up the first half of season 2. And this dice games has pretty sophisticated rules, no more simple "my-number-is-bigger-you-lose" type of shallow stuff. I didn't really understand the dice game all that well, and plus everyone was cheating their asses off, so it makes things more complicated. The good thing about this part was the villain, you think Hyodou was bad, wait till you see this bastard, easily one of the lowest forms of human you will see.

The second game Kaiji plays will in my opinion, not translate well into the anime. The entire second half of Kaiji season 2 is about beating a Pachinko machine. Yes, that's all there is to it. This part has tons and tons of dialogue about money, and just confusing stuff about how much money you can win or lose if you play this pachinko. Now, this isn't a normal Pachinko machine, it's one of those Godly things that's impossible to win at. So the only way to win is to cheat, and that's what Kaiji obsesses about the entire way, finding a way to cheat to this Pachinko. It's interesting, yes, but damn they explain a lot, and it drags too. Imagine an entire 6 volumes of Kaiji manga completely devoted to nothing but him sitting at a Pachinko crying and going crazy. That's what it is. And you know that Yakuza guy who goes to Kaiji's apartment to collect the debt in that first episode? Well, Kaiji actually teams up with him and develop a ridiculous plan to cheat their way to beat the Pachinko.

It's good yes, but it's not going translate well into the anime unless they reduce season 2 to 14 or 15 episodes. 26 episodes of beating a pachinko is going drag like hell.
LifeILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-24, 17:50   Link #605
ssfsx17

Hey, they made Akagi work. Compared to that, making Kaiji exciting should be easy =)
ssfsx17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 14:29   Link #606
vegeta172

Someone has started translate the manga :P
vegeta172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 14:47   Link #607
reverse

Kaiji live action movie in the works

Awesome news huh, not so fast

Until you found out who play kanji
http://zepy.momotato.com/2008/10/14/...-in-the-works/

btw
Any new info on season 2
reverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-24, 21:59   Link #608
Subaru-san

Yes I saw the news recently too, sounds promising. I wonder if they will be able to match the Anime and the Manga in quality. It's going to be hard when you are restricted to a short amount of time, but it can be pulled off, if directed intelligently. Hopefully if it is done properly it could spawn other Kaiji films. If we are lucky a good director will get attched along with some talented actors.
Subaru-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-15, 11:37   Link #609
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta172 View Post
So it starts this fall after all.
I know, late reply, but what are you basing this on?

It's been so long waiting for the anime I had to pick up the manga and read through the second series
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-17, 12:26   Link #610
IAmTheMurderer
There could be zombies.

Anyone have any good fanart or sites for more information on Strongest Legend Kurosawa? I'm very interested in learning more about the storyline and the protagonist Shizuka in particular.
IAmTheMurderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-21, 22:31   Link #611
gonzo562

kaiji crying all the time kinda pisses me off
gonzo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 12:45   Link #612
karumofin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeILL View Post
Preview of Kaiji Season 2:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=25246

Okay, I have pretty much read the entire Kaiji season 2 manga and here's what I think about it:

The manga is extremely well done, the tension is right. I mean it's ridiculously addictive. The problem is that I don't think that it will translate well into an anime. The first season of Kaiji was a great anime to watch because it had tons of variety. The games go from paper scissor rock to crossing bridges to E-Card and it has all sorts of inhumane things such as torture, cutting off fingers, electrocution...things like that.

Kaiji season 2 only has two games that Kaiji play. And these games are no longer simple games with simple rules. Kaiji starts gambling for real this time, he plays a dice game which takes up the first half of season 2. And this dice games has pretty sophisticated rules, no more simple "my-number-is-bigger-you-lose" type of shallow stuff. I didn't really understand the dice game all that well, and plus everyone was cheating their asses off, so it makes things more complicated. The good thing about this part was the villain, you think Hyodou was bad, wait till you see this bastard, easily one of the lowest forms of human you will see.

The second game Kaiji plays will in my opinion, not translate well into the anime. The entire second half of Kaiji season 2 is about beating a Pachinko machine. Yes, that's all there is to it. This part has tons and tons of dialogue about money, and just confusing stuff about how much money you can win or lose if you play this pachinko. Now, this isn't a normal Pachinko machine, it's one of those Godly things that's impossible to win at. So the only way to win is to cheat, and that's what Kaiji obsesses about the entire way, finding a way to cheat to this Pachinko. It's interesting, yes, but damn they explain a lot, and it drags too. Imagine an entire 6 volumes of Kaiji manga completely devoted to nothing but him sitting at a Pachinko crying and going crazy. That's what it is. And you know that Yakuza guy who goes to Kaiji's apartment to collect the debt in that first episode? Well, Kaiji actually teams up with him and develop a ridiculous plan to cheat their way to beat the Pachinko.

It's good yes, but it's not going translate well into the anime unless they reduce season 2 to 14 or 15 episodes. 26 episodes of beating a pachinko is going drag like hell.
that sounds pretty boring, maybe they spice it up a bit with the games after that?
the pachinko thing sounds especially tedious, at least in comparison to season 1.
karumofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 13:05   Link #613
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Folks, who would like season 1 anyway? It's like, they play rock paper scissors for half the season. And then they go and copy paste themselves in the last part, they just change the names. (e card) FREAKING ROCK PAPER SCISSORS
[/rant]

Did I got my point across? ;p

Last edited by Proto; 2009-02-25 at 14:05.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 16:14   Link #614
k'2

Send a message via MSN to k'2 Send a message via Yahoo to k'2
Thanks for the info.
k'2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-19, 19:58   Link #615
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

So there is a scanlation for Series 2 available now. I made a thread for it in the manga section for any here interested. Hopefully I can find someone else to talk about the ridiculousness of ぺリカ with.
Old 2009-03-20, 14:17   Link #616
Proudleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Folks, who would like season 1 anyway? It's like, they play rock paper scissors for half the season. And then they go and copy paste themselves in the last part, they just change the names. (e card) FREAKING ROCK PAPER SCISSORS
[/rant]

Did I got my point across? ;p
I did...?

I haven't really seen anything quite like Kaiji or Akagi; both shows exemplified the essence of gambling and pumped the psychological strain with endless amounts of cliffhangers. It may have been somewhat facile episode structure, but I can't deny that I was more hooked to both of these shows than anything else.
Proudleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-25, 08:46   Link #617
endy
aka kami

kaiji season two chapter 4 is up!

endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-28, 19:54   Link #618
Gusatabu
Ganmen? Screw this!

So, the new season gonna be about dice and pachinko (and anguish I presume).
Sure sounds dull, BUT REMEMBER FOLKS this is Kaiji! Expect nerve racking "zawa-zawa" induced dice and pachinko-action.
Gusatabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 03:54   Link #619
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

The animation studio made baseball intrigue very fun to watch in One Outs. They can tackle magical girl and make it filled with intense gravitas. ZAWA.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 19:59   Link #620
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Yeah Madhouse did such an awesome job with the first series so I'm glad they're coming back. I recently finished translating Underground Chinchiro (the dice game) and while it's deceptively simple, the tension involved is as intense as you'd expect from the franchise.

Roll on, season 2.

Tags
drama, gambling, seinen