AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-06-15, 06:11   Link #1001
Solafighter
Hige

To those, who have been in Japan before, have you had internet on your smartphones? For my traveling, i will need mobile internet for navigation(going to rent a car) and keeping in toutch with friends, im gonna meet.

How expensive would it be to buy a prepaid card for internet for 30 days?
Old 2012-06-15, 06:35   Link #1002
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
To those, who have been in Japan before, have you had internet on your smartphones? For my traveling, i will need mobile internet for navigation(going to rent a car) and keeping in toutch with friends, im gonna meet.

How expensive would it be to buy a prepaid card for internet for 30 days?
From my last recollection, you cannot put a japanese card in a GSM phone, as for the latest standard, apparently it depends.

See this guide.
Old 2012-06-15, 07:01   Link #1003
Solafighter
Hige

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look into it.
Old 2012-06-15, 07:18   Link #1004
Ridwan

Putting my post in the right thread :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
A helpless fan of traditional sweets and desserts that I am, this shop is permanently on my to-visit list when I'll visit the country someday : http://www.chuckeats.com/2009/04/20/...zen-yoshifusa/
Old 2012-06-19, 10:13   Link #1005
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

While doing some research, I chanced upon this passage in CNNGo's World's 10 Most Loved Cities article and thought it deserved to be shared here.
Quote:
World's Most Loved City: Tokyo, Japan

Every city worth its marketing budget brands itself as "many cities in one". Tokyo, of course, doesn't have to.

In Japan's dizzying capital, it's just a given that travelers are here to take on the world’s strongest dose of sensory overload — in a neon-infested sea of ad-pumping jumbotrons at Shibuya Crossing; under a canopy of blossoming cherry trees in Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden; in a sports arena packed with raucous sumo fans in Ryogoku Kokugikan Stadium; at one of Tokyo's 160,000-odd restaurants, a culinary empire boasting more Michelin stars than anywhere else; or within earshot of bellowing tuna auctioneers at Tsukiji Central Fish Market, home to more than 1,000 stalls in a hangar-style building that comprises one of the largest wholesale seafood bazaars in the world.

However many worlds, wards and districts one experiences in Tokyo, the sense is that you’re always just scratching the surface — even if your wallet disagrees. And is there a more deferential place to pay through the teeth?

In Tokyo, "the women behind the registers bow to you, and I don’t mean that they lower their heads a little, the way you might if passing someone on the street", observes David Sedaris. "Then they say what sounds to me like 'We, the people of this store, worship you as we might a god'."

If that's not worth your love, nothing is.

CNNGO
Other trivia worth noting: Tokyo has been ranked among the top 10 most liveable cities for at least three years running (No. 9 in 2011; No. 4 in 2010; No. 3 in 2009) by lifestyle magazine Monocle.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-20, 08:20   Link #1006
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
While doing some research, I chanced upon this passage in CNNGo's World's 10 Most Loved Cities article and thought it deserved to be shared here.

Other trivia worth noting: Tokyo has been ranked among the top 10 most liveable cities for at least three years running (No. 9 in 2011; No. 4 in 2010; No. 3 in 2009) by lifestyle magazine Monocle.
And that's why I try to make a yearly journey to Tokyo. Plus shopping for stuff that's hard to find in the US. Not to mention finding new sights and stores.
Old 2012-06-20, 13:39   Link #1007
Solafighter
Hige

Another thing, i cant make myself a picture, yet,
Im gonna stay in Japan for 30 days. About 14 - 16 days of those, im gonna stay at some friends place, which leaves 14 - 16 days, im gonna stay at a hotel/Inns or something. How much money, round about should i prepare? 2000€ are a good level, i can think of? What are your thoughts and experiences about this?
Old 2012-06-20, 18:22   Link #1008
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Another thing, i cant make myself a picture, yet,
Im gonna stay in Japan for 30 days. About 14 - 16 days of those, im gonna stay at some friends place, which leaves 14 - 16 days, im gonna stay at a hotel/Inns or something. How much money, round about should i prepare? 2000€ are a good level, i can think of? What are your thoughts and experiences about this?
If that's spending money for food and such - you can eat cheap. If you wish to buy a lot of stuff, you'll need a different amount set aside for food alone. Are you going to use a credit card over there for the hotels? And on that note, make sure your credit card agency knows you will be there so they don't stop your card.

If that is all your money - you'll have to be real frugal. I spent over $2000.00+ on stuff(DVDs, CDs, Figures, and general anime related stuff) I wanted alone last time(5 day stay). You can find real bargains in Akihabara. The hotel was a little expensive, about $800.00 each.(Nice hotel and I had a friend to share the expense)

If you travel by train mostly - that's all we used - each ride can cost about 150-250 yen on the average.

Right now you have about 201,390 yen at the conversion rate. Remember that that is the business rate and yours will be lower. Oh, conversion page for you. Just use the pull-down menu Euros to Yen: http://money.cnn.com/data/currencies/?iid=H_MKT_QL

Food can range from about 550 yen - 1200 yen. We averaged about 600 yen per meal last time.

And make sure you exchange your currency before you leave the airport. Much easier. You can use Debit Cards in banks around Japan. Assuming you have one.
Hope that helps.
Old 2012-06-21, 00:49   Link #1009
Solafighter
Hige

Well, im basicly only talking about hotels and simillar.

Most likly, i will not even go once to Akihabara, this time.
Old 2012-06-21, 04:21   Link #1010
Azuma Denton
~AD~

@solafighter
What is your phone? Iphone?
Softbank has a rental booth for sim card on every airport there.

I use one when i am in Japan for 2 weeks...
Cost me around 4000 yen...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-21, 05:09   Link #1011
Solafighter
Hige

Ah, that's great. Thanks a lot for your tips.
Old 2012-06-21, 07:15   Link #1012
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Well, im basicly only talking about hotels and simillar.

Most likly, i will not even go once to Akihabara, this time.
Well, if the money is only for hotels, you're probably fine. Just pay attention to the price you pay.

Last edited by Heibi; 2012-06-21 at 07:41.
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-18, 08:18   Link #1013
Kirarakim

So I will be going in December

Random story my friend told me he booked a trip when he was drunk. Well I couldn't let my friend visit Japan without me and next thing I know, I booked a plane ticket too.

This will be my second time but my friends first.
Old 2012-09-18, 12:05   Link #1014
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
So I will be going in December

Random story my friend told me he booked a trip when he was drunk. Well I couldn't let my friend visit Japan without me and next thing I know, I booked a plane ticket too.

This will be my second time but my friends first.
Neat! Where will you be going? I just went and did Tokyo/Kyoto/Hakone back in April, it was absolutely beautiful with the cherry blossoms falling everywhere.. It reminded me of the cherry blossoms in my hometown!

I wonder if it'll be snowing yet? The idea of sitting in an onsen with the snow falling around is awful appealing..
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-18, 12:26   Link #1015
Solafighter
Hige

Oh! I almost forgot about this thread.

In July and August i have been in Japan for 4 weeks. From Narita, i went to Saitama to meet some friends. From then, to Zao(Miyagi), Matsushima, Osaka, Kobe, Ako, Kyoto, Shirakawa-go, Tusruga, Okayama, Nagoya, Matsumoto, Omachi, Tokyo.

But these 4 weeks werent long enough. Im thinking to go again next year, for 3 weeks.

Here are some impressions of this year trip.

Spoiler for photos:
Old 2012-09-18, 14:24   Link #1016
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Neat! Where will you be going? I just went and did Tokyo/Kyoto/Hakone back in April, it was absolutely beautiful with the cherry blossoms falling everywhere.. It reminded me of the cherry blossoms in my hometown!

I wonder if it'll be snowing yet? The idea of sitting in an onsen with the snow falling around is awful appealing..

I am kind of hoping for some snow because that might help with drab winter scenery.

We will be going to Osaka, Kyoto, and Tokyo for sure (maybe Nara). And I'd like to go to Hitoyoshi (but not sure if I will have time for that).

No Onsen unfortunately, I don't think my friend is into that. We will be staying in a Ryokan that has public baths though so maybe I can convince him.

I wish I could have went when the cherry blossoms were out. Got to see that last time I was in Japan and it was quite lovely.

edit: Hitoyoshi is out of the question bc apparently air travel is required. Oh well!
Old 2012-09-18, 18:28   Link #1017
KitsuneShi
Lone Hoshi

Woah nice pics! Is one of them a picture of Hinamizawa from the anime Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni? Looks extremely similar. The pic of the Village
Old 2012-09-19, 04:42   Link #1018
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneShi View Post
Is one of them a picture of Hinamizawa from the anime Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni? Looks extremely similar. The pic of the Village
Yep, it is.
Old 2012-09-19, 06:02   Link #1019
Domonkazu

awesome pic, the countryside looks so pretty.
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 08:28   Link #1020
Kirarakim

Those pictures are awesome Solafighter. It seems you got to see a whole lot of the country.

Anyways I wonder if anyone can give me advice. I just realized the Omi-Jingu shrine (featured in Chihayafuru) is very close to Kyoto. I think it's in Otsu. I would kick myself if I am that close & can't see it. Does anyone have any advice about going there. Is it quicker from Osaka or Kyoto? I can probably only make a quick trip there but I don't want to miss it.

Tags
japan, travel