AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-12-04, 22:15   Link #5501
Bocom
Rare postage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorahk View Post
you mean in triplets...
Actually, I was talking about pairs of ellipses, which I meant as (...)(...), which is a pair.

But yes, periods in triplets is a better way to put it.
Bocom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 04:14   Link #5502
prettz

Quote:
Originally Posted by June 1983 View Post
Wow. For comparison's sake, I've heard Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (which wound up being the longest of all the HP books) was 168,000 words, just a little longer than EP 4. Imagine Umineko printed up and bound. O_O The series could easily rival HP in that case!
it took 3 years for Order of the Phoenix release. 07th Expansion released 6 episodes in that same amount of time. using the above figure that's 844,781 words (when translated to English)
prettz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 07:38   Link #5503
ghost_zero5

Just wondering but those word counts (and byte counts) are for the english translation, aren't they?
Especially, it isn't so easy to count words in a Japanese text.

However, I am surprised about the length of Chapter 1 - I thought it was a bit shorter than Chapter 5
ghost_zero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 07:41   Link #5504
Judoh
Mystery buff

I beleive someone said before that the entire text of Umineko together is longer than War & Peace. Someone else will have to confirm if it is though.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 08:02   Link #5505
FalseMemorySyndrome

Having major problems trying to get the patch to work for Episode 6. Can some please explain to me what I'm doing wrong?

Mah current Umineko Directory - http://yfrog.com/bfhurrrdurrscreenshotp

The patch folder - http://yfrog.com/7hhurrdurrmahsecoundscreep

Followed the README. and the attached graphic guide. Also, the grimmoir files never appeared. What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be amazing!
FalseMemorySyndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 08:30   Link #5506
catastrophe8
Self Proclaimed Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseMemorySyndrome View Post
Having major problems trying to get the patch to work for Episode 6. Can some please explain to me what I'm doing wrong?

Mah current Umineko Directory - http://yfrog.com/bfhurrrdurrscreenshotp

The patch folder - http://yfrog.com/7hhurrdurrmahsecoundscreep

Followed the README. and the attached graphic guide. Also, the grimmoir files never appeared. What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be amazing!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you extracted the patch into your "backup." Which is illegal
catastrophe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 08:35   Link #5507
FalseMemorySyndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by catastrophe8 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you extracted the patch into your "backup." Which is illegal
Ellaborate?
Old 2010-12-05, 08:56   Link #5508
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

As far as we can see, you didn't put the patch in an installed game folder, but rather in... something akin to an extracted ISO.
And for that, we do not provide any support whatsoever.
Old 2010-12-05, 09:12   Link #5509
FalseMemorySyndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
As far as we can see, you didn't put the patch in an installed game folder, but rather in... something akin to an extracted ISO.
And for that, we do not provide any support whatsoever.
So once it arrives and I install it , what I've done here should work? Putting the patch into it like so? Plus, would the problem with the missing Grimoire files repeat? I don't want £30 of money which took me ages to put togeather outside of everything else to be wasted due to my inability to handle easy enough configurements like this >>
Old 2010-12-05, 09:18   Link #5510
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseMemorySyndrome View Post
So once it arrives and I install it , what I've done here should work? Putting the patch into it like so? Plus, would the problem with the missing Grimoire files repeat? I don't want £30 of money which took me ages to put togeather outside of everything else to be wasted due to my inability to handle easy enough configurements like this >>
Um no. You're actually making it harder for yourself by inserting it into the CD image. Just install it like any program and extract the patch into the installation directory. Into the install directory, not the disc itself.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 10:16   Link #5511
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
I beleive someone said before that the entire text of Umineko together is longer than War & Peace. Someone else will have to confirm if it is though.
The Project Gutenberg version of War & Peace is 3.2 MB. If I didn't screw up when counting the original, then Episodes 1-5 total 3.6 MB.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 10:38   Link #5512
lambdabern
Magical Cheff

I know it is a stupid question but because i might have problems reading it i'll ask anyway.Is 100% patch gonna be out within the next 2 weeks?
Old 2010-12-05, 10:42   Link #5513
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

... As explained already, the 100% patch will be released once it is done, not sooner, nor later.
I did say however that we are confident for a release before Episode 8 release. That's all I can tell you for now.
Old 2010-12-05, 10:49   Link #5514
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I actually predict that it will come out no earlier than December 21. If I'm correct I'll... uh... no idea actually.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 15:01   Link #5515
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocom View Post
Actually, I was talking about pairs of ellipses, which I meant as (...)(...), which is a pair.

But yes, periods in triplets is a better way to put it.
In fairness, the use of ellipses (or perhaps ellipses-like series of dots) in Japanese novels and manga is not used the same exact way as in English grammar. If anything, the most common number of dots (remember, a Japanese period is a small circle, not a dot, and the dots used are usually suspended at mid-height rather than resting at the bottom of a line--not like English punctuation!) I seem to encounter in raw Japanese-original manga is probably five. Should, when translating, this number be preserved, or changed to match proper English grammar? I'd normally argue the latter, but manga's use of 5-point pseudo-ellipses to indicate being speechless, for leading sentence endings, or to indicate a pregnant pause is a stylistic device that deserves more consideration based upon context.

That said, I am not an expert in Japanese grammar and style, these are just my own inferences.

Similarly, with a visual/sound novel, I think that it boils down to a matter of translator preference for literal translation of this kind of nuance or not. I think the Witch Hunt team are treating it fine, considering.

I do have my own pedantic grammar/translation style quibbles but they aren't worth mentioning and are more a matter of personal taste more or less.

(MyAnimeList banner on hiatus until I bother to update my MyAnimeList status again...)
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 15:22   Link #5516
lambdabern
Magical Cheff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
... As explained already, the 100% patch will be released once it is done, not sooner, nor later.
I did say however that we are confident for a release before Episode 8 release. That's all I can tell you for now.
Oh well can't do anything about it.We'll wait and see.
Old 2010-12-05, 19:49   Link #5517
zorahk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
In fairness, the use of ellipses (or perhaps ellipses-like series of dots) in Japanese novels and manga is not used the same exact way as in English grammar. If anything, the most common number of dots (remember, a Japanese period is a small circle, not a dot, and the dots used are usually suspended at mid-height rather than resting at the bottom of a line--not like English punctuation!) I seem to encounter in raw Japanese-original manga is probably five. Should, when translating, this number be preserved, or changed to match proper English grammar? I'd normally argue the latter, but manga's use of 5-point pseudo-ellipses to indicate being speechless, for leading sentence endings, or to indicate a pregnant pause is a stylistic device that deserves more consideration based upon context.

That said, I am not an expert in Japanese grammar and style, these are just my own inferences.

Similarly, with a visual/sound novel, I think that it boils down to a matter of translator preference for literal translation of this kind of nuance or not. I think the Witch Hunt team are treating it fine, considering.

I do have my own pedantic grammar/translation style quibbles but they aren't worth mentioning and are more a matter of personal taste more or less.

In Japanese, 。is a period and ... is an ellipse. 。。。 is technically incorrect punctuation usage because 。 is a sentence final marker only.
Then again, if I'm going to be grammar-nazi here, か? is technically redundant as well, but everyone uses it so it has become "correct".
In traditional writing, there are no question marks.
It doesn't really matter though, and you can do whatever you want because it's not really standardized.
zorahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 20:11   Link #5518
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

Ellipses exist in Japanese punctuation, but you just have to press a different key for it. And yeah, it's incorrect to use 。。。.
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-05, 20:39   Link #5519
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorahk View Post
In Japanese, 。is a period and ... is an ellipse. 。。。 is technically incorrect punctuation usage because 。 is a sentence final marker only.
Then again, if I'm going to be grammar-nazi here, か? is technically redundant as well, but everyone uses it so it has become "correct".
In traditional writing, there are no question marks.
It doesn't really matter though, and you can do whatever you want because it's not really standardized.
Sorry, I should have been a little clearer on my phrasing, but we're almost saying the same thing here. The only thing I was trying to express differently (other than the number of dots--again, not periods!) is that they tend to use the "floating" ones instead, like this (・・・) as opposed to Western style periods (...) or Japanese ones. At least when expressing pauses and such.

That said, I don't recall now which type was used in the Umineko Japanese text (reading the WH version has fogged my memory of it in Japanese).

『・・・・・』 

(MyAnimeList banner on hiatus until I bother to update my MyAnimeList status again...)
Ayu-ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-06, 06:54   Link #5520
stassy

Thank you for letting France purchase the game with hobibox, however there is no support for multithread download and no download pause/recovery, it's quite harsh to download 5+ Gb of the games at 100 Ko/s only...
stassy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation