Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-24, 08:55   Link #24801
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Given the number of refugees they got from the conflict, I would say than they are already involved.
"Involved", as in, actively at war with Syria.
Old 2012-11-24, 09:43   Link #24802
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
"Involved", as in, actively at war with Syria.
''Involved'' might be the wrong choice of word, I should probably had used ''Implicated'' .
Old 2012-11-24, 13:31   Link #24803
Tom Bombadil

Baby Step for the Chinese carrier.

More pictures.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/mil/2012-1..._123998037.htm
Old 2012-11-24, 13:40   Link #24804
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
yikes.... that's a lot of pennies.
Now imagine having one of those (or stronger) every decade hitting the same area. Say hello to climate change.
Old 2012-11-24, 21:52   Link #24805
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

The mexican-israeli connection

Our govermentbought some unmaned drones from Israel to check on drug cartels and sent a pair for repairs via non militar channels. Why can't remove this stupid grin off my face?
Old 2012-11-24, 23:08   Link #24806
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Baby Step for the Chinese carrier.

More pictures.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/mil/2012-1..._123998037.htm
Is that a russian-made plane or one than the chineses build under licence ?
Old 2012-11-25, 00:17   Link #24807
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Is that a russian-made plane or one than the chineses build under licence ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenyang_J-15

Basically, a derived version of su33. Bought a prototype from Ukraine to study the folding wing structure, etc. The engine is still imported from Russia, everything else should be indigenous.
Old 2012-11-25, 01:52   Link #24808
Ridwan

Pretty interesting turnabout.

Uncovering the hidden bodies in Saudi art

Quote:
For hundreds of years, popular perceptions of Arab culture have been dominated by Islam. But recent excavations in what is now modern-day Saudi Arabia are revealing evidence of sophisticated and ancient civilizations that are redefining the pre-Islamic era.

A lucrative trade in spices - particularly incense - created a network of caravan trails that stretched from the Horn of Africa to Iran and the Mediterranean. At its centre was the Arabian Peninsula, a cosmopolitan hub of commerce and culture.

"What we see is a Saudi Arabia that was not a closed peninsula. It was actually vitally connected to the rest of the ancient world," says Dr Julian Raby, director of the Sackler and Freer Galleries of Asian Art in Washington.

"And that's an incredibly important lesson because we have begun to imagine Saudi Arabia as always closed, always desert, isolated - almost as a backwater. This gives the lie to that."

"For many people, what happens before Islam is of little or no relevance at all. But the Orientalist tradition in Europe and the States also condemned anything before Islam as being of no material cultural importance at all - because they didn't know what existed."
I wouldn't say this is surprising though. But this isn't going to end their centuries-old contract with Iblis.

Nevertheless, I won't mind the spills.
Old 2012-11-25, 03:02   Link #24809
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

All that tells me is that the trade routes moved south from Babylon and Jeruselem into the region and out of the region. Most older ideas has the trade routes avoid the desert and instead go from Egypt out east and north with some to the West like Cathage or South to Ethiopia. Though that trade might have gone via the Red Sea across the Arabia as well.

Even Bibilcal text has mention of various spices in the trade routes (what was considered valuable is usually mentioned). As December comes, I am reminded of the tale of the Three Wise Men and their gifts. It does not say were they were from, just "The East" (if I recall). They could have easily been from Arabia to the south, or across the peninsula, but south of old Babylon and Pathia.
Old 2012-11-25, 06:33   Link #24810
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Old 2012-11-25, 06:43   Link #24811
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Two news than are kind of about human stupidity:
Bangladesh's worst-ever factory blaze kills over 100
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8AN0CG20121125
Quote:
Working conditions at Bangladeshi factories are notoriously poor, with little enforcement of safety laws, and overcrowding and locked fire doors are common. The cause of this fire was not immediately known.
Witnesses said the workers, mostly women, ran for safety as the fire engulfed the plant but were unable to get through narrow exits.
British Islamists to issue fatwa against shot Pakistani girl
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8AJ0LH20121120
Quote:
A new British-based Islamist group plans to meet in Islamabad to issue a religious decree against a Pakistani schoolgirl shot by the Taliban, accusing her of supporting "occupying" U.S. forces.
"There will be a fatwa issued regarding Malala Yousufzai taking into account the full story of her injury including her public statements in support of the occupying U.S. army in the region and mocking of key symbols of Islam such as hijab and jihad," said Abu Baraa, a senior member of Shariah4Pakistan.
Old 2012-11-25, 11:32   Link #24812
Ridwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
All that tells me is that the trade routes moved south from Babylon and Jeruselem into the region and out of the region. Most older ideas has the trade routes avoid the desert and instead go from Egypt out east and north with some to the West like Cathage or South to Ethiopia. Though that trade might have gone via the Red Sea across the Arabia as well.

Even Bibilcal text has mention of various spices in the trade routes (what was considered valuable is usually mentioned). As December comes, I am reminded of the tale of the Three Wise Men and their gifts. It does not say were they were from, just "The East" (if I recall). They could have easily been from Arabia to the south, or across the peninsula, but south of old Babylon and Pathia.
On the other hand, the article suggests an attempt by Saudi Kingdom to start replacing Wahabism with Arab Nationalism. Respecting "Jahiliyah Culture" isn't a typical Islamic behavior, but OTOH venerating ancient roots has been the staple way to build up nationalist pride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I really LOL'd hard when the comparison with a cheesy Bollywood movie came, one which is possibily the very one my mother dragged me to watch with her
Old 2012-11-25, 17:12   Link #24813
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Election Spurred a Move to Codify U.S. Drone Policy
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/wo...book.html?_r=0
Quote:
WASHINGTON — Facing the possibility that President Obama might not win a second term, his administration accelerated work in the weeks before the election to develop explicit rules for the targeted killing of terrorists by unmanned drones, so that a new president would inherit clear standards and procedures, according to two administration officials.
The matter may have lost some urgency after Nov. 6. But with more than 300 drone strikes and some 2,500 people killed by the Central Intelligence Agency and the military since Mr. Obama first took office, the administration is still pushing to make the rules formal and resolve internal uncertainty and disagreement about exactly when lethal action is justified.
Mr. Obama and his advisers are still debating whether remote-control killing should be a measure of last resort against imminent threats to the United States, or a more flexible tool, available to help allied governments attack their enemies or to prevent militants from controlling territory.
Old 2012-11-25, 20:41   Link #24814
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Two news than are kind of about human stupidity:
Bangladesh's worst-ever factory blaze kills over 100
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8AN0CG20121125

British Islamists to issue fatwa against shot Pakistani girl
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8AJ0LH20121120
The first isn't surprising because as it's in a third-world nation, management cut corners for profit at the cost of safety (and thus such industries are frowned upon).

The second, well, as we're all aware, old medievalist habits die hard.
Old 2012-11-26, 02:52   Link #24815
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Well, an old-fashioned street brawl taken to teach such idiots how pain is felt wouldn't be a bad idea for beginners.

I'm among the people who believe that the ones who use violence against weaker people (i.e. women, children, and the old) ought to feel for once how it feels to be beaten really bad by the fists of someone of their own size.
Old 2012-11-26, 06:05   Link #24816
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I'm among the people who believe that the ones who use violence against weaker people (i.e. women, children, and the old) ought to feel for once how it feels to be beaten really bad by the fists of someone of their own size.
Migh work better if it was from someone bigger than them, the equivalence would be closer this way.
Old 2012-11-26, 09:11   Link #24817
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
The first isn't surprising because as it's in a third-world nation, management cut corners for profit at the cost of safety (and thus such industries are frowned upon).

One of the saddest elements of the fire in Bangladesh is that I can't help but wonder if some of my own clothes were made in that very factory.

Hopefully it might lead the way to improvements in their industry, like the Triangle Shirtwaist factory fire a century ago.
Old 2012-11-26, 11:19   Link #24818
konart

Cossacks to Patrol Central Moscow
Quote:
“In concert with law enforcement officials, the Cossacks will uphold law and order and prevent illegal parking and unlicensed business activity" on the streets of central Moscow, the statement said.
Backed by the government and Russian Orthodox Church officials, the Cossack movement has recently experienced a growing revival.
http://en.ria.ru/russia/20121126/177748573.html
Old 2012-11-26, 15:12   Link #24819
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Cautiously, Japan Raises Military Profile as China Rises

Quote:
After years of watching its international influence eroded by a slow-motion economic decline, pacifist Japan is trying to raise its profile in a new way, offering military aid for the first time in decades and displaying its own armed forces in an effort to build regional alliances and shore up other countries’ defenses to counter a rising China.

Already this year, Japan crossed a little-noted threshold by providing its first military aid abroad since the end of World War II, approving a $2 million package for its military engineers to train troops in Cambodia and East Timor in disaster-relief and skills like road building. Japanese warships have not only conducted joint exercises with a growing number of military forces in the Pacific and Asia, they have also begun making regular port visits to countries long fearful of a resurgence of Japan’s military.

And after stepping up civilian aid programs to train and equip the coast guards of other nations, Japanese defense officials and analysts say, Japan could soon reach another milestone: beginning sales in the region of military hardware like seaplanes, and perhaps eventually the stealthy diesel-powered submarines considered well suited to the shallow waters where China is making increasingly assertive territorial claims.
Old 2012-11-26, 15:58   Link #24820
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Very interesting. Anyway, the ties made during RIMPAC exercises are probably helping a lot in having such new alliances with the countries that were mentioned.

Speaking of, why is the change only starting to see some light at the end of tunnel now? After the Cold War, Japan was in a perfect position to change the purpose of their armed forces a little bit, just as Germany managed to change its position about how to use the Bundeswehr from Bosnia to Afghanistan.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international