AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-05-20, 16:24   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 787 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Spoiler summary is out, courtesy of Aohige:

-Chapter title is "4 minutes". Splash page features Zoro.

-The crowd cheers on Sabo after his strike on Burgess. The chief of staff then briefly introduces himself to the Blackbeard officer, and asks him what business he has with Luffy, who he points out is his brother. The brother line reminds Burgess of Ace straight away, interestingly enough. Sabo tells him that the three of them are all brothers. However, while he holds no grudge against Teach's crew over Ace's death (saying that Ace was following his own path in life), he WILL be there for Luffy.

-As the two fight, Sabo activates his flame powers, and Burgess realizes straight away that he was the "Lucy" he fought at the tournament. Sabo then tells Luffy that he'll hold off Burgess, and in turn his younger brother tells him he'll take care of Doflamingo once Gatz buys him enough time. Burgess then attacks him with a lariat that has enough force to split a building in half, but it proves ineffective on his opponent, who activates his logia intangibility. Sabo then counters with Kaen Ryuuou (Flame Dragon King), which blasts Burgess away! However, he remains cautious after the attack because he noticed that Burgess switched targets from Luffy to him, confirming that he's specifically targeting DF wielders.....

-As Gatz escapes with Luffy, Dofla makes his pursuit, destroying all who stand in his way. As it turns out.... Dofla is heavily injured to the point that he's barely standing, but he's fully enraged. He says he doesn't need much strength to take out the small fries, and shouts for Luffy to come face him. Meanwhile, Zoro uses haki to slow down the Birdcage, while Franky and the Tontattas attempt to achieve the same results by pushing the Smile factory against the cage (the exterior is made of sea stone, remember). At the center of the city, Dofla's grunts attempt to keep the townsfolk from reaching the center of the cage, but they get taken out by more tournament gladiators who were healed by the dwarf princess.

-Dofla grows even more impatient by Luffy's absence. In response, he speeds up the closing of the Birdcage! Zoro and Franky are still attempting to stop it from closing, while Fujitora apparently notices some lights flashing in the air. Time remaining until the Birdcage closes: Three minutes. Time remaining until Luffy's haki is restored: Four minutes....

Last edited by marvelB; 2015-05-21 at 00:12.
Old 2015-05-21, 00:13   Link #2
marvelB

Okay guys, the updated summary is here! Discuss away!
Old 2015-05-21, 02:33   Link #3
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Wow, Zoro Haki confirmed. Can't wait to see Zoro fans go out of controll with that one

Hey look Fuji is going to actually possibly do some thing, tons of people were about to be crushed by a bird cage and Luffy's currently un able to fight for four minutes of what feels like forever in our life time due to the crappy pacing of this series. Took some thing besides all of that mess to get him to notice any thing going on, screw deaths of millions of people, this is the most important to be noticed

Please Oda,for the love of Mike don't to cut another subplot in the middle of all this. Just finish the stinken fight, I've given up on the entire arc altogether.

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Old 2015-05-21, 02:42   Link #4
Ultragunner

Spoiler for Sabo:
Old 2015-05-21, 02:43   Link #5
Farodin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintokifan22 View Post
Wow, Zoro Haki confirmed. Can't wait to see Zoro fans go out of controll with that one
That was already known since Punk Hazard.
Old 2015-05-21, 03:15   Link #6
Sebazu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
Spoiler for Sabo:
Maybe it's Oda's way of saying "This is how you take someone else's stuff, by making it BETTER".
Old 2015-05-21, 03:18   Link #7
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

This is one of those chapters where one could either argue nothing happened or a lot of things happened.

1. Sabo having his small talk with Luffy.
2. Sabo kicking Burgess's ass.
3. Doflamingo's destroying the gladiators with some rather freaky imagery (mirroring Obito Uchiha's Mokuton in sadistic sense) and then making efficient use of his remaining stamina NOT taking out small fries but speeding up Birdcage.
4. Zoro using Busoushoku to slow down the Birdcage on one side.
5. Franky using the Seastone exterior of the factory to slow down the Birdcage on the other side.
6. Tournament warriors + Bartolomeo and Kyros with injuries healed by Mansherry and Leo protect the citizens.
7. Law...is silent.
8. Fujitora...observes...something happening at the top of the Birdcage?
9. Rebecca...pants heavily.
10. Doflamingo is pissed but outputting that anger as effectively as possible.
11. Time left until massacre: 3 minutes; Time left until Luffy recovers: 4 minutes (F*ck)

So forgetting the people who inadvertently find fault with this chapter, I thought this was a terrific chapter. The amount of details and characters being used is incredible and 3 rather important things were conveyed regarding the whole time limit thing:

1. The tension was delivered quite well.
2. This won't be a repeat of the endless 5 minutes on Namek. I mean, more than half the time passed in one chapter.
3. Adding a 10 minute recharge time on top of another time limit which equates to death if it expires is going to cause A LOT of headaches and problems in the future for Luffy and his comrades.

Quote:
Seriously, where have you been? We've known this for years.
Quote:
Hey look Fuji is going to actually possibly do some thing, tons of people were about to be crushed by a bird cage and Luffy's currently un able to fight for four minutes of what feels like forever in our life time due to the crappy pacing of this series. Took some thing besides all of that mess to get him to notice any thing going on, screw deaths of millions of people, this is the most important to be noticed

Please Oda,for the love of Mike don't to cut another subplot in the middle of all this. Just finish the stinken fight, I've given up on the entire arc altogether.
While I can't speak for the pacing of the entire arc, the pacing of this final battle has been spot on, and this chapter in particular should illustrate that.
Old 2015-05-21, 04:05   Link #8
The Small One

Somehow I can't really see how 6 minutes are supposed to have passed.
Even though a lot of things were shown in this chapter, they basically should have happened at the same time lasting mere seconds at most.

It was good nonetheless.
Old 2015-05-21, 04:25   Link #9
ri0

Doflamingo obliterated those dudes in the blink of an eye and now six minutes have passed... whut??
Otherwise I liked how Zoro tries to stop the birdcage with just brute force - so much like him

Quote:
Old 2015-05-21, 04:46   Link #10
bonsobon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Seriously, where have you been? We've known this for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farodin View Post
That was already known since Punk Hazard.
Perhaps he was referring to the belief some Zoro fans had that he would be able to cut through the birdcage using his haki and therefore strengthen their argument about him being the strongest fighter on Dressrosa, rather than him having haki in the first place.
Old 2015-05-21, 04:59   Link #11
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^
I guess that makes more sense. There were people thinking that because Zoro had strong Busoushoku Haki he would be able to deal with Doflamingo easily as all he'd need to do is cut his strings.
Old 2015-05-21, 06:29   Link #12
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

Am I the only person here thinking 'Hey Bart, you took a freakin king puch back there and stood still, not like these razor strings can cut them down after standing up to that much damage, so why dont you just create a barrier around everyone to get rid of this boring cage thingy?'

I mean Dofla is barely standing alive. Not like he is gonna overpower another df user indestructable shield with some haki stuff at that point.

Correct me if Im wrong but he never stated that his shield can not withstand strings or anything...If he constructs a shield wall around population gathering at a point eventually the cage will confront the shield and stop.

Or Fujitora overpowering strings with one of his gravity shield things he use to keep enemies stunned? In worst case he can lift the cage and throw the damn thing to orbit.

I guess im really bored with that cage to hate it that much. So many capable people seems to do nothing about it lately.
Old 2015-05-21, 07:47   Link #13
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawrz View Post
Am I the only person here thinking 'Hey Bart, you took a freakin king puch back there and stood still, not like these razor strings can cut them down after standing up to that much damage, so why dont you just create a barrier around everyone to get rid of this boring cage thingy?'

I mean Dofla is barely standing alive. Not like he is gonna overpower another df user indestructable shield with some haki stuff at that point.

Correct me if Im wrong but he never stated that his shield can not withstand strings or anything...If he constructs a shield wall around population gathering at a point eventually the cage will confront the shield and stop.

Or Fujitora overpowering strings with one of his gravity shield things he use to keep enemies stunned? In worst case he can lift the cage and throw the damn thing to orbit.

I guess im really bored with that cage to hate it that much. So many capable people seems to do nothing about it lately.
There's a limit to how large of a barrier that he can make. Making those stairs for Robin pushed his abilities to their limit. Creating a barrier big enough to surround the entire population of dressrosa would likely be FAR beyond his limit.
Old 2015-05-21, 08:03   Link #14
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^
Even assuming that he could, we've already seen that Zoro's Armament Hardened swords aren't cutting through the strings. If the strings can resist Busoushoku Haki then they're most likely imbued with Haki themselves. Thus Barto's barrier would be ineffective.
Old 2015-05-21, 08:23   Link #15
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Curious to see how they buy enough time. Certainly have to buy several minutes since it's not like Luffy will immediately one-shot Doflamingo. He'll need a few seconds to get that attack in.

Not a bad thing though to have everyone doing what they can to buy time. It keeps the focus on Luffy's win while making everyone relevant in it.
Old 2015-05-21, 08:30   Link #16
bonsobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
There's a limit to how large of a barrier that he can make. Making those stairs for Robin pushed his abilities to their limit. Creating a barrier big enough to surround the entire population of dressrosa would likely be FAR beyond his limit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
^
Even assuming that he could, we've already seen that Zoro's Armament Hardened swords aren't cutting through the strings. If the strings can resist Busoushoku Haki then they're most likely imbued with Haki themselves. Thus Barto's barrier would be ineffective.
I agree with Slayerx in that Bartolomeo is simply unable to create a barrier of the size needed to protect Dressrosa, rather than anything haki related. After all let's not forget that he defeated Vice Admiral Maynard without taking a scratch, and we know that Vice Admirals know how to use haki (granted Doflamingo's haki would be stronger than Maynard's), so that would be less of an issue than size in my opinion
Old 2015-05-21, 08:46   Link #17
itachi-san314

I'm surprised that Zoro can't cut the birdcage himself and needs help. I figured he would use a new move we haven't seen to at least make a hole in it or something.
Old 2015-05-21, 09:02   Link #18
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

I dont think shield size would be an issue here actually. Doflamingo as a paramecia created a city-size birdcage that moves in its own will while taking tons of damage then controlled a small scale army from very far away.

Even if we accept that Doflamingo is a monster that perfected his df ability, we still have Moria's shadow paramecia that had an absurd world-wide scale effect. He managed to keep his zombies alive even when shadowless user travelled to other sides of world.

Barto being damaged and exhausted to an extreme point seems like the only real answer to me about it. That also renders mansherry's healing ability kinda useless in direct combat since she probly dont reset exhaustion level of targets after healing process but merely brings them back to 100HP from 1HP.
Old 2015-05-21, 09:05   Link #19
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

I get it now, I get it k? I must have forgotten that about Zoro's Haki at some point

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Old 2015-05-21, 09:25   Link #20
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
I'm surprised that Zoro can't cut the birdcage himself and needs help. I figured he would use a new move we haven't seen to at least make a hole in it or something.
Same, is this real life ?Are we agreeing on something
Closed Thread