AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-23, 11:57   Link #1621
Peanutbutter

Something about Koromo saying "Haitei Raoyue" just doesn't seem to sit quite right with me.

But everything else is a-ok.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 13:47   Link #1622
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I've thought about it. Wouldn't Kana be the best to win big off Koromo and re-balance the game? Also, it'd give us a cat in a flower garden under the moon (are there hands named after felines?).

What would Yumi's place be in that?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 14:43   Link #1623
Spectrum
Bene Gesserit witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I've thought about it. Wouldn't Kana be the best to win big off Koromo and re-balance the game? Also, it'd give us a cat in a flower garden under the moon (are there hands named after felines?).

What would Yumi's place be in that?
Shunted off to the side because Tsuruga is the least important of the four schools i n the big picture.

;______;
Old 2009-07-23, 14:56   Link #1624
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

There lies the power of dark horses :evil:

yeah i wish
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 15:21   Link #1625
Spectrum
Bene Gesserit witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post

yeah i wish
Yes, it is a cruel fate in store for those of us who mainly watch shows for the one interesting Ensemble Darkhorse.

Ganbare Yumi! Fight your fate!
Old 2009-07-23, 15:24   Link #1626
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:

yeah i wish
A horse and a cat in a flower field under a full moon?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 15:27   Link #1627
Spectrum
Bene Gesserit witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
A horse and a cat in a flower field under a full moon?
That sounds like the start of a bad joke.

Or the synopsis to a bad fanfic.
Old 2009-07-23, 17:19   Link #1628
scr
my sides are in orbit

Quote:

yeah i wish
A nightmare of a cat in a flower field under the full moon.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 23:32   Link #1629
Fishbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
Shunted off to the side because Tsuruga is the least important of the four schools i n the big picture.

;______;
I don't see why you think that way, especially if you wanna talk about the" big picture"

I would say Ryuumonbuchi is the least important school because they have the smallest chance of winning due to two things:

1. not the main characters
2. No graduating 3rd year students

Both are huge in these types of "sports" animes

See SlamDunk
Fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 23:37   Link #1630
Spectrum
Bene Gesserit witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
I don't see why you think that way, especially if you wanna talk about the" big picture"

I would say Ryuumonbuchi is the least important school because they have the smallest chance of winning due to two things:

1. not the main characters
2. No graduating 3rd year students

Both are huge in these types of "sports" animes

See SlamDunk
OTOH, Ryuumonbuchi is getting enough build-up and has the unique outfits instead of the usual school uniforms and the destined enemy thing between Touka and Nodoka and again between Saki and Koromo going on.

They're like the Ojou to Kiyosumi's Deimon, to borrow from E21 lol. =/
Old 2009-07-23, 23:41   Link #1631
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

yuri powerup next ep? it seems so..
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 23:45   Link #1632
Fishbait

Quote:
OTOH, Ryuumonbuchi is getting enough build-up and has the unique outfits instead of the usual school uniforms and the destined enemy thing between Touka and Nodoka and again between Saki and Koromo going on.

They're like the Ojou to Kiyosumi's Deimon, to borrow from E21 lol. =/
Hmm I'm not too sure about the Touka vs. Nodoka thing..she barely acknowledge Touka

Saki vs. Koromo has been building up since...well...since when Koromo's name was first mentioned lol

Anyways these kind of logic can be spun around forever, I think Tsuruga's position in the anime is just fine. Can't speak for the manga although I have seen some rather interesting pages pop up here and there, especially a few very ostentatious ones of Kana
Fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 23:48   Link #1633
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
yuri powerup next ep? it seems so..
let just hope it is what they say >_<
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 23:51   Link #1634
Spectrum
Bene Gesserit witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
Hmm I'm not too sure about the Touka vs. Nodoka thing..she barely acknowledge Touka

Saki vs. Koromo has been building up since...well...since when Koromo's name was first mentioned lol

Anyways these kind of logic can be spun around forever, I think Tsuruga's position in the anime is just fine. Can't speak for the manga although I have seen some rather interesting pages pop up here and there, especially a few very ostentatious ones of Kana
Well, basically, the thing is I'm speculating for the future. Obviously we won't get to see it in the anime, but I'll definitely switch over/re-read the manga when it finishes and keep going.

So, like, we have all these unique characters we've spent the past x chapters developing in part. What do we do with them? They can't all fade into the background and just be support like other sports anime defeated teams only to get called up for an all-star team or something. (For one, there's not enough slots on a given mah jong team to fit even half of the elites we've seen thus far...) So, if we follow this logic, I'm assuming that somehow more than one team is going to go to nationals. Of the teams, simply because of 'character appeal', I think it would have to be Ryuumonbuchi. =/
Old 2009-07-24, 04:02   Link #1635
scr
my sides are in orbit

Quote:
So, like, we have all these unique characters we've spent the past x chapters developing in part. What do we do with them?
Crack pairing time! Character X from School Y meets Character A from School B. Chemistry ensued. It's like School Days with multiple Makotoes and 100% yuri.

... well, that's what happens all the time in Touhou...
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 04:32   Link #1636
Sindas
Rinshan Kaiho

Quote:
For one, there's not enough slots on a given mah jong team to fit even half of the elites we've seen thus far...
Not really true, yes we can't fit them all but not even half is a great exaggeration...
Seriously the only truly "elite" players I think we saw until now are:
-Saki, Nodoka, Hisa from Kiyosumi
-Koromo from Ryuumonbuchi
-Yumi, Momoko from Tsuruga
-Mihoko from Kazekoshi

That's seven out of twenty...
If you have to remove 2 to make a team of 5 then I guess Hisa & Yumi would have to go; making the all-star team Saki, Nodoka, Koromo, Momoko & Mihoko.

The others from Kiyosumi & Ryuumonbuchi have good development but they're not at the "Elite" level of those 7, at least from what we've seen so far... maybe Jun but she was still crushed by Mihoko...

The rest are reallly not that great or even well developed...
Sindas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 04:52   Link #1637
FateAnomaly

Momoko is a one trick pony though. Hisa and Yumi are more versatile and they respond well to unforseen situation.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 05:35   Link #1638
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindas View Post
Not really true, yes we can't fit them all but not even half is a great exaggeration...
Seriously the only truly "elite" players I think we saw until now are:
-Saki, Nodoka, Hisa from Kiyosumi
-Koromo from Ryuumonbuchi
-Yumi, Momoko from Tsuruga
-Mihoko from Kazekoshi

That's seven out of twenty...
If you have to remove 2 to make a team of 5 then I guess Hisa & Yumi would have to go; making the all-star team Saki, Nodoka, Koromo, Momoko & Mihoko.

The others from Kiyosumi & Ryuumonbuchi have good development but they're not at the "Elite" level of those 7, at least from what we've seen so far... maybe Jun but she was still crushed by Mihoko...

The rest are reallly not that great or even well developed...
From Ryuumonbuchi, I'd also put Hajime, Touka, and Jun. Hajime tied Hisa, Touka has a very high winning percentage at nationals, and anyone that can take out opponents by herself as Jun did is worthwhile of being considered a good player.

Kana is a very good player as well. She just has the misfortune of lining up against monsters.

IMO, the tiers go:

Tier 1: Saki, Koromo
Tier 2: Hisa, Mihoko, Hajime, Yumi
Tier 3: Nodoka, Kana, Momoko
Tier 4: Touka, Jun

If I were creating a team based on awesomeness, I'd want Saki, Yumi, Hisa, Momoko, Mihoko.

Quote:
Momoko is a one trick pony though. Hisa and Yumi are more versatile and they respond well to unforseen situation.
Nah. Momoko is very good defensively and can play straight up just as well as everyone else at her table. You'll notice the announcer mentioned both Momoko and Nodoka as having played "world-class" at the end of the vice-captain round. If you just take Momoko's +/- and compared it to the rest of her table, she did the best individually.

Also, to the Tsuruga fans:
http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/...o_kaori-touyok
Awww... If I could have two teams go through, I would totally choose you as my second team!

Last edited by tjalorak; 2009-07-24 at 05:57.
tjalorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 06:24   Link #1639
FateAnomaly

And thats all because of her one trick-stealth mode. No?
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 07:06   Link #1640
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalorak View Post
From Ryuumonbuchi, I'd also put Hajime, Touka, and Jun. Hajime tied Hisa, Touka has a very high winning percentage at nationals, and anyone that can take out opponents by herself as Jun did is worthwhile of being considered a good player.

Kana is a very good player as well. She just has the misfortune of lining up against monsters.

IMO, the tiers go:

Tier 1: Saki, Koromo
Tier 2: Hisa, Mihoko, Hajime, Yumi
Tier 3: Nodoka, Kana, Momoko
Tier 4: Touka, Jun

If I were creating a team based on awesomeness, I'd want Saki, Yumi, Hisa, Momoko, Mihoko.
I think everyone is underestimating Nodoka... It's true that she doesn't have any obvious special powers, but I think it's been implied during her round that she has the "power" to nullify other player's special abilities. She's like kyrponite.
Her kryponite powers don't work on saki cause she actually believes Saki is like an angel or something, but I bet you if she played against Koromo that koromo would get mighty vexed when her haxor skills do nothing.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen