AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 11 23.40%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 34.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 27.66%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 8.51%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 4.26%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-05, 00:04   Link #41
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Surprised that no one talked about that screen:

Did PoC engaged a sexual relationship with Kanba (using Himari's body too) everytime the "Survival Strategy" started? Is that why she kept dropping Shouma out of the way? Maybe it's the reason that Kanba started to kiss Himari in ep 1, after being summoned by PoC as the event triggered his awareness that he take Himari to be more than a sister.

Why can't Ikuhara increase his heroines's age for 4-6 more years, just so i won't feel guilty thinking about those sexual implicating screens? =/
Old 2011-11-05, 00:14   Link #42
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

How old is Himari anyway?
Old 2011-11-05, 00:24   Link #43
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

My guess is.... 14

Ringo seems to be 16 after all
Old 2011-11-05, 00:25   Link #44
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFarGone View Post
How old is Himari anyway?

BTW, there was no sex in that scene. Just saying...
Old 2011-11-05, 00:39   Link #45
YayPepsi

The implications are there though. Regardless of what they're actually doing, our mind is meant to "go there."
Old 2011-11-05, 00:54   Link #46
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayPepsi View Post
Regardless of what they're actually doing, our mind is meant to "go there."
Definitely. It's fanservice after all.
Old 2011-11-05, 01:03   Link #47
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
BTW, there was no sex in that scene. Just saying...
Are you sure...?

Wait..... don't say it, i don't want spoilers
Old 2011-11-05, 06:55   Link #48
Sol Falling

lol, I've been pretty much just reading everything that gets posted in this subforum so I got spoiled for this episode from the novel thread. I dunno if that's why, but the Takekura family scenes this episode didn't really do it for me. It was like, the lines were there, but they were being said and portrayed without any meaning. A bit disappointing.

As for the rest of the episode, though: Man, why does Yuri and Tabuki's hate for the Takekura's gravitate around Himari specifically? lol, what fucking irony, if we are correct about the PoC being Momoka. On the other hand, the possible distinction between the PoC and Himari is also doing weird things to my Kanba x Himari shipping. In fact, I actually quite like Kanba and Himari's natural platonic relationship. They are very cute like that by themselves already. It's looking more and more like the PoC and her "Survival Strategy" is the only force pushing things into the romantic/sexual category. On the other hand, I also think that it is the PoC who really currently understands Kanba the best. So it's weird, and is making me wonder about what or which side I should actually root for (normal Himari, or the PoC).

Incidentally, it's hard for me to think of the PoC/Survival Strategy scenes as actually being fanservice. When I first saw them in the first episode, I was actually rather repulsed and disgusted. Even now that I am attached to the characters, those scenes are still very raw and emotionally charged for me. Like, does Kanba (or do I) really want to look at Himari in that way. It's like those scenes themselves are attacking me. I think that the disconcertingly sexualized way this show presents Himari (and by a related extension, Double H) is part of its complexity, not fanservice.

Anyway, this episode also really gave me a vague feeling/impression that Sanetoshi is somehow behind the actions of Yuri/Tabuki. The way Masako and the PoC are after Momoka's diary/the Penguindrum (what's the difference between them? This episode hasn't explained it yet), it basically seems like the diary/Penguindrum is something that would allow them to escape the influence of Sanetoshi. Right now, Kanba and Masako are just going along with Sanetoshi because they think (and it's pretty much true that) they have no other choice. As such, the way the Yuri/Tabuki faction is interfering/aggravating Kanba/Masako's positions play to Sanetoshi's advantage. The strange thing is, (aside from Ringo) Yuri and Tabuki are the only/specific characters who seem to have no link to Sanetoshi or the penguin groups in the past at all. So how is it that Sanetoshi manages to keep Kanba/Masako on his strings in this way, and what is it that he is really after (like, in practical terms. Since he already seems to have control over the PoC and Himari.)?

The spoilers I read made episode 18 seem like it'd be huge. Like, amazing. I'm kinda hyped up to see how it'll go.
Old 2011-11-05, 09:03   Link #49
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
As for the rest of the episode, though: Man, why does Yuri and Tabuki's hate for the Takekura's gravitate around Himari specifically?
Because punishment must to be unjust.
Old 2011-11-05, 09:34   Link #50
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
l On the other hand, I also think that it is the PoC who really currently understands Kanba the best. So it's weird, and is making me wonder about what or which side I should actually root for (normal Himari, or the PoC).
So two brothers with two sisters end?

Kanba/Momoka and Shouma/Ringo?

Nice.
Old 2011-11-05, 10:14   Link #51
Sol Falling

lol, that would be great, yeah. But, as kinky as this may sound, I think Kanba x PoC would somehow lose most of its appeal if the PoC were not in Himari's body (well, as in compared to her "own" body, like a grown up/teenage Momoka's, or something). So I dunno that I am shipping Kanba x Momoka for sure. I just like the way that Kanba and the PoC a genuinely open and understanding of each other.
Old 2011-11-05, 12:58   Link #52
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
"You're past your expiration date, so you should sell yourself at a discount"

Lol, that was an awesome trash talking fight, and that music was really great. A funny survival strategy again, and Kanba.... oh boy.

Anyhow, a good episode to get everything back on track. A bit slow at the beginning in the 2nd half but the chilling end makes up for it. 8/10

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-11-05, 13:05   Link #53
Lota

Ah, that sort of ending would be great, but knowing Ikuhara, it probably won't happen. I like Kanba and Himari's cute relationship, but it's clear that it won't go any further that this. She is his sister and she doesn't look at him that way. Furthermore, even if they were not brother and sister, he cares about her too much, and he wouldn't be able to tell her anything because of how frail she is, in both mind and body. They would share hapiness, but they sure as hell wouldn't be sharing pain. So it wouldn't be a real relationship anyway. That's why everything will stay the same.

That's why I'm leaning more towards PoC and Kanba. She is the only one who really understands him since he can't talk to anyone and I think she has kind of grown fond of him. And whatever it is that happened between them in this episode (or has been happening for a while), to me it looks like it was her way of beeing there for him, helping him, trying to free him of his pain. And even though it is Himari's body, Kanba knows it's PoC and he doesn't see her (or the body) as Himari. Hell, Himari's body looks like that of a child's, while when it's PoC, she looks like someone in her late teens. But I do agree that this pairing would lose it's charm if it were not Himari's body. I just can't see PoC any other way, and while Kanba x Himari look weird, Kanba x PoC look really good together. I guess while others see Himari and PoC as the same person, I don't. They are two completely different people to me, so I can support Kanba and PoC freely, without thinking about Himari.

Unfortunately for me, I don't think this pairing will work out either. First of all, PoC doesn't have a body of her own. Secondly, while PoC looks fond of Kanba, I have no idea how he feels about her. While he didn't see her, he didn't look all that worried. I just wonder if he will realise that she is his only emotional support and that he really does need her. Considering his personality, he probably won't, which is really sad for me, a person who supports this pair
Old 2011-11-07, 12:54   Link #54
4Tran

Mawaru Penguindrum - Episode 17

It looks like Penguindrum is gearing up to lead towards the finale. I'm really looking forward to see what that's going to be. And I wonder how many questions are going to be left unanswered (at least not directly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
* Man, Ikuhara loves Sergio Leone.
Who doesn't? I wish that more anime would draw from these more unusual sources for inspiration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
If Tabuki really had a grudge then why did he say what he said to Yuri? Hopefully they'll explain that in the next episode.
He lied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I don't get it. If Yuri and Tabuki aren't as close, then why marry in the first place? What would they possibly gain by doing so? I refuse to believe that their marriage is just a sham.
They (supposedly) share the goal of Momoka's diary. Their marriage arrangement might well be to draw it away from Ringo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Strange... I got the completely opposite impression. That almost despite themselves they are developing a husband and wife attachment to each other. Not that it's some great love affair, and it's obvious that Momoka is what binds them together. But beyond that there seemed to be true respect from Yuri towards Tabuki, and he seems to be truly gentle towards her.
Momoka is the only thing binding Tabuki and Yuri. Not only do we see that shot where they're sitting apart from one another with the Tokyo Tower in between, but Yuri even says that their room feels cold.
Old 2011-11-07, 20:21   Link #55
aoumi
aoumi

I noticed that the banners and backgrounds from the official site are changing all the time when reloading, today I found this one...

Spoiler:

I'm not sure whether it was uploaded this week or has always been there, but I've never seen it so far on the site. (and first post btw^^)
Old 2011-11-07, 20:27   Link #56
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoumi View Post
I noticed that the banners and backgrounds from the official site are changing all the time when reloading, today I found this one...

It seems someone's brain is out.. >.> I hope it's not Shouma
That's one of Kanba's ex-girlfriends. It's from the scene in episode 6 when Masako erases their memories.
Old 2011-11-07, 20:58   Link #57
aoumi
aoumi

Ooh I see, thanks for clarifying that. I somehow related it to the new episode because of the bunnies talk, lol.
Old 2011-11-09, 04:51   Link #58
Dop
Mmmm....

OK, so did anyone else doubletake when they saw the name of the magazine Himari and #3 were reading?
Spoiler for The magazine's called what?:

Highlight of the episode has to be the big showdown between Yuri and Masako, complete with spaghetti western style music.

I also loved the running gags with the octopus.
Old 2011-11-09, 11:50   Link #59
kitten320

So as predicted Tabuki is also on the insane side, poor Himari, getting inbetween of all the crap.

Lol at the cafe they wnet
Starbucks caffe can't be mistaken.
Old 2011-11-10, 09:26   Link #60
gsilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoumi View Post
\I hope it's not Shouma
The only way it's Shoma is if he starts wearing a skirt. Hey, Ringo has already had him cross-dress once.