AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-14, 18:45   Link #101
Sakuya
*Artist

I was going to drop this show but after watching episode 1 subbed, I decided I'll watch a few more episodes. The plot is very interesting.

Spoilerish Questions:
Spoiler:
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 19:12   Link #102
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya
I was going to drop this show but after watching episode 1 subbed, I decided I'll watch a few more episodes. The plot is very interesting.

Spoilerish Questions:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for episode 1 answers:

Ah, so Latin was the missing link I was looking for... and the Sibylla Aurea (golden prophetess) confirms it. So does Auriga(a slave who drove chariots) and Sagitta(arrow). Good stuff. ( '-')b

EDIT: I wonder why they wanted to mix both French and Latin into the terms... Maybe they didn't think the Latin sounded cool enough? ^_^;

Last edited by zalas; 2006-04-14 at 19:44.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 22:18   Link #103
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Really intresteds in it im just still trying to understand what the hell is going on someone mentioned it had a last exile feel to it i totally agree with that plus theres nothing wrong with a series that opens with a bunch a girls kissing. guess i will have to watch more to see if i like it or not. Does anyone know what happen to the 2 pilots that were shot down?
Old 2006-04-15, 00:39   Link #104
Sakuya
*Artist

Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-15, 01:56   Link #105
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuya
....Spoilerish Questions:
Spoiler:
Spoiler for more answers:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 02:07   Link #106
Sakuya
*Artist

Thanks, I understand now. Did I mention how much I love the Simoun ship designs? But I guess everyone else probably said it already. It just looks so lavish! The turnable spinning thing is unique as well. Kudos to the designer and the CG-er.
Old 2006-04-15, 07:25   Link #107
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I found another translation of the glossary which seems good - http://hashihime.blogspot.com/2006/0...-of-terms.html.

Although I still think it probably should be Sybilla, not Shivyura but that's just what my ears say, not the official site.

Spoiler:

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 08:42   Link #108
Yui from Okinawa

Send a message via Yahoo to Yui from Okinawa
Lightbulb Yes! The Jade Ri-Maejion also called "Emerald Ri Marjon"

Yes! The Jade Ri-Maejion also called "Emerald Ri Marjon"
I've improved now the grossary page!

I renewal http://www.geocities.jp/emiri_0623/simoun02-e1.htm

The vimana related writing and picture!
Yui from Okinawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 08:54   Link #109
Yui from Okinawa

Shimire Simoun (Shimire)

Training craft for Simoun pilots. There are one- and two-seated
versions.

It has not eqiped emerald.
Thus, Shimire Simoun can not draw Ri-marjion.

The Craft engineer woman said
"The imitaion Simoun made by human , stolen god's craft...!"

Old 2006-04-15, 10:26   Link #110
Yui from Okinawa

I remenber The Gods of Xuma !!

I remenber " The Left Hand of Darkness" (Ursula K.Le Guin)!!
The Gods of Xuma ( David J. Lake)
Old 2006-04-16, 20:59   Link #111
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
I found another translation of the glossary which seems good - http://hashihime.blogspot.com/2006/0...-of-terms.html.

Although I still think it probably should be Sybilla, not Shivyura but that's just what my ears say, not the official site.
Yay! Thanks for that reference, Matrim. *bookmarks*
Tremalkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 21:52   Link #112
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
I found another translation of the glossary which seems good - http://hashihime.blogspot.com/2006/0...-of-terms.html. Although I still think it probably should be Sybilla, not Shivyura but that's just what my ears say, not the official site.
Spoiler:
I'm the one who translated that glossary, and I prefer Sybilla, too. That's not what was printed on the site, so I went with the site. But Sybilla makes sense to me. So does Neville for Neviriru. I wish the site had some official English versions. I just transliterated the Japanese, but I'm sure they were thinking of some foreign name, like Neville.
Spoiler for Neviriru as sagitta instead of auriga:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-04-17, 00:49   Link #113
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
I just transliterated the Japanese, but I'm sure they were thinking of some foreign name, like Neville.
My uneducated guess woud be Neviril, with a lengthened final syllable, because that's what I'm picking up in the dialogue and it seems to fit the kana better - if they'd meant Neville, I would've expected them to write ネヴィール. Also, I find it hard not to automatically read Neville as a man's name (e.g. Neville Chamberlain), even though I know -ille is a perfectly good feminine ending.

Similarly with シヴュラ, if they'd meant Sibylla wouldn't シブラ have been closer? You're right, Sybilla is a natural reading given the use of Latin,

Spoiler for ep 2:

but I wonder if the soft "b" we're hearing is just the closest our Japanese cast can get to "v"? Early transliterations used Siwula, but I don't know if they were based on inside info or were just matching the Polish word to the kana.

Not trying to nit-pick, just wondering aloud...
Old 2006-04-17, 00:52   Link #114
Iskandar Taib

Spoiler:
Iskandar Taib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 00:57   Link #115
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskandar Taib
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Simon; 2006-04-17 at 01:22.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 02:58   Link #116
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I went to this thread after a month's hiatus from AS because of the title: Simoun. What instantly came to my mind was a revolutionary and filibusterer ... other Filipinos can relate to who I mean.

(to Filipinos:
Who really likes Noli me Tangere over El Filibusterismo? EF is waaay better ... and a white-haired bad@ss jeweler somewhat reminds me of Ukitake as Simoun ... )

But as it's a yuri series ... I'm saying goodbye to this story ...
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 03:30   Link #117
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
My uneducated guess would be Neviril, with a lengthened final syllable, because that's what I'm picking up in the dialogue and it seems to fit the kana better...Similarly with シヴュラ, if they'd meant Sibylla wouldn't シブラ have been closer? You're right, Sybilla is a natural reading given the use of Latin, and the classical influences I think we're seeing...but I wonder if the soft "b" we're hearing is just the closest our Japanese cast can get to "v"?....
I like the sound of Neviril, as you suggested and as Yui has on her page. I think the echo of Lord of the Rings elven folk may be intentional ("Galadriel...).

And I think it works to say Shivyura is the Greek Sibylla -- or maybe just Sibyl in English -- especially because that word means a kind of priestess, which is also what "shivyura" is supposed to mean. Maybe that's all part of the "exotic ancient West" feel that I think this show has.

This link (from Yui's page) is about ancient Indian flying boats which could not be destroyed and which depended on the pilots' Tantric spiritual powers. So maybe the Indian part of the West is also there.
Old 2006-04-17, 03:35   Link #118
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
And I think it works to say Shivyura is the Greek Sibylla -- or maybe just Sibyl in English -- especially because that word means a kind of priestess, which is also what "shivyura" is supposed to mean. Maybe that's all part of the "exotic ancient West" feel that I think this show has.
I agree. It's most probably Sibylla being used in Latin (with origins in Greek), as the phrase Sibylla Aurea would make sense with the Japanese meaning. Other non-Simoun sites also use this pronunciation: http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~occultyo/shinpi/sibyura.htm

EDIT: Oops, the other sites use Shibyura instead of Shivyura, but they're very close in sound and Japanese often interchange v and b sounds anyway.

Last edited by zalas; 2006-04-17 at 04:17.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 03:48   Link #119
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

There's a Sibyla too?

If I'd known better, I bet the producers have read Jose Rizal's Noli me Tangere and El Filibusterismo ...
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 03:55   Link #120
Iskandar Taib

The fansub I watched used the word "Simula" for the pilots. Given that the name of the nation is "Simulacrum" (strange, isn't it.. sort of suggests it's fake, like the world in Scrapped Princes..), maybe that isn't far off?
Iskandar Taib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, science fiction, yuri