AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 24 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 36 40.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 28.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 14.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.41%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 3.41%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.14%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 3.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-23, 06:05   Link #41
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

Pretty confusing finale for me but still emotional.
Old 2011-12-23, 06:28   Link #42
Kyuu
=^^=

I am satisfied with this ending. Loose ends got tied. And everyone moves on.
Old 2011-12-23, 06:41   Link #43
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Solid last episode, I would have given it a 10 if VLC did not decided by itself to begin playing it first from my 21-24 playlist and me realizing it half way through

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1246 View Post
Saw the ending for RAW, and it nice but sad because Ringo and Shouma cant be together and haven't kiss and souma turn into KIDS and everyone forget them

Total Elfen Lied ending

What wrong with the anime industry today!!!?!?!/ I mean even the Happy cute anime get this sad ending to them and we say “whyyyyyy” there so much sadness going on here!
Something very good indeed, yet rare despite your impression... most of the times there is no ending, or some silly happy end

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_sora View Post
So the real pairing in this series is KanbaxShouma!
Nah... Ringo X Himari, Yuri X teacher, HxH, Momoka X pink-haired guy... There is one pairing for everyone's taste

In the end one of the best anime I have followed in these last 8 years
Old 2011-12-23, 07:06   Link #44
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Fuck, this ending was more confusing than Inception and Mujun Rasen combined. I only barely managed to make the gist of it, and like I said with TaMnI, only having the gist of it isn't enough. Because of that it wasn't quite as emotional as the other episodes I've seen that unfortunately puts a dent into the finale imo. It already reached the highest score (a very very high score mind you) but just couldn't surpass it.

But it was a great finish any case. I'm going to miss this show.
Old 2011-12-23, 07:25   Link #45
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm pretty satisfied with this ending overall. Yuri and Tabuki found happiness together, Shouma told Ringo he loved, and Ringo and Himari remained friends. That's exactly what I wanted to see.

Nevertheless, although I got the gist of it (at least I think I did...), I wish it had been a bit more straightforward. Too much symbolism kills symbolism imo.

Edit: for those like me who might have missed it, here's the final and best end card:

I'm loving the symmetry.
Old 2011-12-23, 07:45   Link #46
mysh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
mmm... If I tell you that Shouma
Spoiler for ep24:
...would you stilll be that happy?

Well, at least
Spoiler for ep24:
Oh my, what an ending. I watched it twice and cried both times.
Of course I would prefer Sho&Ringo-chan finale, but this was almost perfect.

BTW, how do you understand the boxes part? I mean not the metaphors Sanetoshi uses, but the "10 years ago" situation Shouma and Kanba were in. That was a very powerful scene but WTF was it?
Old 2011-12-23, 07:56   Link #47
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Fuck, this ending was more confusing than Inception and Mujun Rasen combined...
Inception and Rakkyou 5th were confusing try Lost Highway or even better A Space Odyssey

Otherwise I am inclined to agree. I still try to sort out where the symbolism ended and the actual events begun, but doing this is one of the things I loved about this show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

I'm loving the symmetry.
Helps because you can trace and copy/paste the palette
Old 2011-12-23, 08:00   Link #48
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Inception and Rakkyou 5th were confusing try Lost Highway or even better A Space Odyssey
Heh, I didn't actually find them that confusing but I did find Mujun Rasen a bit of a challenge to follow. (But yeah Inception was fairly easy to get). It's just that a lot of other people say they're confusing. It's the best analogy I could think of. (Fail )
Old 2011-12-23, 08:25   Link #49
prototype_sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFarGone View Post
Pretty confusing finale for me but still emotional.
Ditto too many metaphors
Old 2011-12-23, 09:12   Link #50
Sides

Don't know what to say, except it was a fitting ending for the series.
Like the ending scene, where apparently shoma and kanba were walking down the road with the penguins ducking behind them.
Old 2011-12-23, 09:14   Link #51
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Anyone else notice this little bit?

Spoiler for Blink and you'll miss it:

Himari's not the only one with something from the brothers (the scar on her forehead). It looks like Ringo has one too, hidden by her uniform most likely.
Old 2011-12-23, 09:20   Link #52
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Maybe I'm a little disappointed that Double H didn't have a larger presence in Himari's life at the end (in fact it appears in this reality she's just a fan.)
I think that may be my biggest disappointment (which is sort of nitpicking as I am very satisfied with the finale) - sure, what happened makes sense, but it feels like Triple H could really have happened without compromising the whole Penguindrum plot. I knew it'd be foolish to except a 'conventional' happy ending, but this is one happy outcome I was holding onto and thought had fairly good odds of happening, and it would certainly have gotten a few more sobs out of me.

Ah well, not that I'm not already a wreck, though. I don't know which scene I found to be the most emotional, between Shouma's hand reaching Kanba's, or the note from the brothers. I don't think I could've hoped for a better ending for Kanba who is definitely the character who left the strongest impression on me, even though I ended up growing attached to about everyone, which is never an easy feat. Series of the year, thank you Ikuhara.
Old 2011-12-23, 10:04   Link #53
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

That was a wtf ending with all those symbolisms but it's one of the gem this year.
Old 2011-12-23, 10:06   Link #54
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Oh, God, I'll never be able to look at #2's comedic gluttony the same way again, now that we have an idea of where it comes from.

The peice of information we were missing up until now was, of course, the sharing of the apple between Kanba and Shouma. Once we had that, everything wraps up really perfectly. It only makes sense that Shouma, who once shared Kanba's fate to live, would also want to share his fate in the end, especially if it meant saving Ringo.

The transfer of fate flames really do reference the flames of Scorpio. I probably should have made the connection before, but it wasn't until now that it really was clear to me.

I am really, really pleased with how the show came full circle with the conversation between the two boys outside the house in episode 1.

Spoiler for Episode 1:

Honestly, I was expecting a less cogent finale considering who is at the helm. I'm glad it all scans in the end, although there are still plot points which feel like they were more or less dropped midway through, mostly involving Mario and PotC.

Five goddamned stars. I was glad to be along for the ride with you all.
Old 2011-12-23, 10:06   Link #55
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
Ah well, not that I'm not already a wreck, though. I don't know which scene I found to be the most emotional, between Shouma's hand reaching Kanba's, or the note from the brothers. I don't think I could've hoped for a better ending for Kanba who is definitely the character who left the strongest impression on me, even though I ended up growing attached to about everyone, which is never an easy feat. Series of the year, thank you Ikuhara.
My thoughts exactly. Oh my god, this ending. I'm still thoroughly electrified. Fabulous max doesn't even begin to express how I feel about the final episode. Almost every scene was amazing. Each character getting the focus they deserve and the emotions that were conveyed through the great imagery, stunningly beautiful soundtrack and the voice actors performances. Just so goddamn amazing. I'm thoroughly satisfied and more.

Ikuhara, you bastard you. Don't come up with a new series so soon. I don't think I can handle the fabulous max.
Old 2011-12-23, 10:20   Link #56
Miraluka
Banned

A friend of me told me, this series will perpetuate its status quo until death.

He was right... literally.
Old 2011-12-23, 10:48   Link #57
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post

Honestly, I was expecting a less cogent finale considering who is at the helm. I'm glad it all scans in the end, although there are still plot points which feel like they were more or less dropped midway through, mostly involving Mario and PotC.
Yeah, I strongly agree with this.

The symbolism is pretty thick, and I have yet to attempt to decipher it all, but I honestly don't care much because:

1. The anime goes full circle in a nice and clear-cut way.

2. The basic jist of what happened to the characters themselves is fairly clear. You don't necessarily need to get all the symbolism in order to get what happened to all the most important characters.

However, I do feel that Mario, PotC, and Double-H were left hanging a bit when all was said and done. It just occurred to me that in PotC's case, we still don't really know the exact nature of the connection between her and Momoka. That's been left entirely to fan speculation it seems.

Part of me still would have preferred a lasting Shouma/Ringo romance at the end, but what we did get was pretty good. Himari certainly seems better off now than she was at the start of the anime, and Ringo appears happy as well.

Given the actions he had engaged in, I don't think Kanba deserved a "Happily Ever After" ending, to be blunt about it. So this was probably the best possible ending for his character: He achieves his passionate dream of saving Himari at all costs, and that means that he sacrificed himself.

Part of me thinks that Shouma deserved a happier ending, but perhaps there needs to be a bit of bitterness in this bittersweet ending in order for it to not feel like an overly happy copout. Also, there's something poetic and fitting about Kanba and Shouma fading away together. It makes it seem a little less sad for each of them, I think.

With this ending, I would now consider MPD one of the five best anime of 2011, and it was probably the most creative anime of 2011. It's been a great ride, from start to finish.
Old 2011-12-23, 10:57   Link #58
Romanticide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Anyone else notice this little bit?

Spoiler for Blink and you'll miss it:

Himari's not the only one with something from the brothers (the scar on her forehead). It looks like Ringo has one too, hidden by her uniform most likely.
I noticed it when i rewatched, that's the hand
Spoiler for spoilers?:
Old 2011-12-23, 11:04   Link #59
YayPepsi

Quote:
I don't think I could've hoped for a better ending for Kanba who is definitely the character who left the strongest impression on me, even though I ended up growing attached to about everyone, which is never an easy feat. Series of the year, thank you Ikuhara.
Same here. I've been a day one Kanba fan and this ending made me happy for him. Sure, he died at the end, but he was with Shouma. And like they said "It's not over. What I'm trying to say is that's actually where everything begins!"
Old 2011-12-23, 11:14   Link #60
Kirarakim

Another thing I liked about the ending is if you notice Himari looks to be wearing a school uniform at the end. So it seems Kan & Sho gave back her life both literally & Figuratively. She has school, parents, and a close friend in Ringo. I was sad to see the house is no longer the bright colors the brothers painted it, but it doesn't look drab either.

Thinking about the Kan & Sho thing more, I think the ending was the only way I could accept Kanba's redemption. I am still not sure if the terrorism themes were really done justice in the story. But I like that Kanba is saved literally by an act of kindness he did in the past.

Kanba shared the apple with Shouma & then Shouma was able to give it back to Kanba, enabling them both to save Himari. Shouma was also able to stop Ringo from sacrificing herself which I loved. Everything does feel full circle in this regard.

And while it's sad the brothers are forgotten, no one ended up alone. That I really could not have taken.

Also I love how there is so much to digest in this series. I didn't even put 2 & 2 together about why No. 2 is always eating until Thereminvox's comment, but yes it all comes back to the apple, wow!