AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-04-05, 15:24   Link #161
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

No....non this can't be

NoOOOOOOOOOOO (long anime cry) Reuental,my poor Reuental what did they do?What did they do? The terraist will pay!
I really like Reuental,but he should have died on the battlefield serving his Kaiser not on a office desk betrayed and abandoned after a meaningless civil war.

The only part of logh I don't like personnaly is the narrator's speech.They are rather ridiculous IMO.
Old 2007-04-05, 21:26   Link #162
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Hmm...my memory of Starship Operators is a little bit hazy, but I do recall multiple bits of the character dynamics and the combat that made me enjoy what I saw. I can't remember jack about any political stuff.
One of the greatest weaknesses of Legend of Galatic Heroes is its portrayal of female characters. None of them are horribly convincing, and the only one that I actually ended up liking was Katerose von Kreutzer (and that may have been because of Mitsuishi Kotono's influence). I think that this aspect would have been much better if it were more similar to Starship Operators, where the characterization was both more natural and much more appealing.

In terms of combat, Starship Operators is possibly the most realistic anime take on futuristic space combat ever made. However, I don't think that this approach would have benefited LoGH as much since the latter show relies so heavily on classical tactics and sneaky moves. Finally, I tend to prefer the way politics is tackled in Starship Operators than in LoGH. However, this may be as much a matter of personal preference than anything else.
Old 2007-04-06, 12:26   Link #163
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

"Finally, I tend to prefer the way politics is tackled in Starship Operators than in LoGH. However, this may be as much a matter of personal preference than anything else."

Probably but I am curious.Would you mind telling us why?

Personnaly I prefer Logh because it's more focused on the "historical" aspect of the events.
Old 2007-04-06, 12:56   Link #164
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I liked the first two or three episodes of this series, but I'm going to wait until this series finishes subbing before delving into its world.

You just can't beat a lot of older series for their awesome storytelling.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 13:07   Link #165
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusIrae View Post
Probably but I am curious.Would you mind telling us why?

Personnaly I prefer Logh because it's more focused on the "historical" aspect of the events.
It's mostly because I read a lot of real history books, and I find that tone used to discuss history and politics in Legend of Galactic Heroes isn't too much to my liking. It feels like there's too much editorializing going on - I prefer a more matter-of-fact approach.

Physics223, you may be in for a bit of a wait, since there are 110 episodes total. Still, it's cool that you seem to enjoy it so far - there's a lot of twists and turns yet to come. By the way, you may want to avoid this thread for a little bit since it's filled with spoilers.
Old 2007-04-08, 19:51   Link #166
zentraedi

First i have to thank Central Anime for their hard effort to translate this amazing series!!

I have a question: In the novels Yang Wenli actually dies or he was killed in the anime because of de death of his seiyuu?

Thanks!
zentraedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 19:57   Link #167
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentraedi View Post
First i have to thank Central Anime for their hard effort to translate this amazing series!!

I have a question: In the novels Yang Wenli actually dies or he was killed in the anime because of de death of his seiyuu?

Thanks!
Not sure about the novel but i believed his VA die after the show.
Old 2007-04-08, 20:01   Link #168
zentraedi

Yes, you're right. My mistake.

Thanks.
zentraedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 20:22   Link #169
herbert

Only have watched first 2 or 3 dozens of eps, don't know too much. But in novel, Yang was
Spoiler:

From what I read on this thread, I believe it is same in both novel and anime. Yang was
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-26, 17:19   Link #170
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Even the novel version of the story does the 'editorializing' of the future history. I can almost picture Mackenzie who talks about the Goldenbalm throughout the show narrate the epic showdown at Vermilion in the same fashion.

The novel version leaves an epilogue that gives more uncertainty which the anime omits. I think however that the anime would have a weaker ending if including up to the point of the novel epilogue.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-21, 13:38   Link #171
glyph

Is it just me or is 106 oddly hilarious despite it's serious and foreboding theme?

Spoiler:

Last edited by glyph; 2007-06-22 at 10:31.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-30, 02:27   Link #172
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

For those of you awaiting the next episode I'm trying to get the encode right. Something went wrong twice on the encode and I'm trying to get it right. Hopefully you'll see 107 this weekend.

Heibi
Central Anime
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-09, 18:19   Link #173
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Episode 108 was absolutely stunning and moving. It took me awhile to settle down to just type this little message.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 11:40   Link #174
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

At last it has ended,I feel a little empty but all good things have an end.I have been watching this show for two years now.It was great,and I really thank Central Anime for their awesome work.Without them I would never have discovered this masterpiece.

It's one of the best anime of all time,probably one of greatest moment of TV and a story that deserves to be called Art.

oh,and ep110 had some great line.

"Politics always takes vengeance on those who belittle it."Brilliant and so true.If only people could remember that.As entertainment, Art and reflexion on politics and history,this show is total success.

And it's almost 20 years old!!!
Old 2007-07-19, 13:35   Link #175
Otakuboy T
Otaku Knight

Send a message via MSN to Otakuboy T
I hope someone starts working on the OAVs next and movies (the other subs have bad video quality)
Otakuboy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 18:22   Link #176
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Yep, we'll be doing those too.

Central Anime
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-19, 19:28   Link #177
yononaka
nani ni tatoemu

Many thanks to everyone at CA for subbing this!

Lately I've been suffering from anime burnout, so I've had serious trouble sticking with most of the recent offerings (mostly because of too much deja vu and thus predictability; not because I think everything new is bad and everything old was good); yet, despite its length, sticking with LoGH has presented no trouble whatsoever.

It may not be flawless, but it's definitely a GREAT anime in so many ways.
yononaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 00:36   Link #178
nicomorr

Arrow Thank you CA! Analogue rocks!

Ten years in the making huh, well done & thanks, firstly.

I've had the HK bootleg rips for all LOGH for several years and watched the actual series (1-110) through at least three times, hating those Engrish subs but loving the sprawl & grandeur. Recently watched it again using your files up to 106 I think it was then.

I have compared the video of your encodes with the HK rips & it was only after reading this thread that I understood my impressions.

At first the HK video looks more attractive, it's brighter, no, more chromatic, but in the longer-term I preferred yours.

It's that analogue superiority again - same reason that good vinyl is inherently better than CD (sampling frequency, Nyquist cut-off, high-frequency filtering, TIM you name it!).

So I really appreciate your analogue as-much-as-possible treatment of the video.

The hues are more restful, the shadings more graceful, of course there are analog artifacts but I prefer them to digital compression artifacts unless really bad. And the softer feel goes with the hand-animation style & colours .... much more classy.

I have two LD players, both Pioneer, one industrial & t'other high-end AC3 modded CLD-2950 (but has a bad bottom head so I have to turn LDs over if I use that one, bummer).

One of these days I will have to do something with my Japanese LD boxed special edition of Future Boy Conan

See you went from DivX 5 (1/2) to Xvid (3-110) - was that because of open-source? I like DivX Pro 6.6 a lot & it can encode at high bitrates very well - but proprietary code, phones home

You really got me going with this & thanks for your 10 year mission.

Nico M
nicomorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 02:25   Link #179
Jimmy C

Thanks CA, for completing the subs of this incredible series. I look forward to seeing your subs of the OAVs and movies next. A question, will you be doing the stories in chronological order? I got the HK subs of the OAVs, their order was scrambled. At the end of an arc would be a preview of a story in the other OAV series, it was real confusing.
I also have the HK subs of the main series. What turned me off of it, aside from their crappy engrish translations, was visual inconsistency. For example, there's a scene where Yang is having a meeting in Iserlohn that was partially redone. You can tell because the table everyone is sitting at suddenly changes shape and size. Totally unacceptable.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 07:28   Link #180
Marjoram

Thanks

Thank you, Central Anime, for all your hard work. I've been watching this amazing series for more than two years now. I've never seen anything even remotely like it - the character development, intricacies of strategy and politics, merciless slaying of favourite characters all around... Just perfect.
Now, whatever am I going to live for?
Marjoram is offline   Reply With Quote